Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default canned mushrooms

Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms,
but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned
ones any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones
wouldn't have the right flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/08/2020 19:10, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms,
> but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned
> ones any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones
> wouldn't have the right flavor.

Properly stored, dried mushrooms keep for ages. I usually have some on
hand, and frozen ones, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 14:10:53 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:

>Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms,
>but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned
>ones any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones
>wouldn't have the right flavor.

Dried 'shrooms keep forever and have the best flavor for all cooked
dishes. Canned 'shrooms are good when in a hurry and nothing else is
available. Shrooms from the produce department are okay for many
dishes but still dehys have the best flavor. Most restaurants that
employ shrooms like Chinese mainly use dehys and canned, because their
recipes use shooms that are not available fresh like straw 'shrooms.
It depends on the recipe and your available time and effort.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-5, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms,
> but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned
> ones any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones
> wouldn't have the right flavor.
>

> --

It's been ages since I've eaten canned mushrooms. When I was young, I'd eat them straight out of the can.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in
message ...
> Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms, but
> I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned ones
> any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't
> have the right flavor.

I prefer dried. Canned are mushy and I've had them leak due to burst seams.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote
> in message ...
>> Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some
>> mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad
>> rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand?* Do dried
>> mushrooms keep?* Pickled ones wouldn't have the right flavor.

> I prefer dried. Canned are mushy and I've had them leak due to
> burst seams.

Well Popeye also says only dried shit is OK. And he's an expert on
canned stuff. (and shit too)

But, now, if it's beans, canned are perfect, and the finest beans
in the universe. Even god uses canned beans. Dried beans are tiad.

I'm amazed you can get either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 6:14:49 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in
> message ...
> > Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms, but
> > I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned ones
> > any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't
> > have the right flavor.

> I prefer dried. Canned are mushy and I've had them leak due to burst seams.

You don't know what you're talking about. You just make shit up. Canned mushrooms might be crappy, but they're not mushy. Your daughter should have killed you for letting her become disgustingly fat. All she would have had to do was find one of the thirty-some foods you say you can't eat, and stuff them into your ugly face. There is nothing about you that is of any value whatsoever.

--Bryan
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 6:25:08 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote
> > in message ...
> >> Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some
> >> mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad
> >> rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand?Â* Do dried
> >> mushrooms keep?Â* Pickled ones wouldn't have the right flavor.

> > I prefer dried. Canned are mushy and I've had them leak due to
> > burst seams.

> Well Popeye also says only dried shit is OK. And he's an expert on
> canned stuff. (and shit too)
>
> But, now, if it's beans, canned are perfect, and the finest beans
> in the universe. Even god uses canned beans. Dried beans are tiad.

Hey, I bet Popeye likes canned spinach.

--Bryan
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:14:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in
>message ...
>> Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms, but
>> I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned ones
>> any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't
>> have the right flavor.

>I prefer dried. Canned are mushy and I've had them leak due to burst seams.

they are not mushy, wrong word. Cans don't burst because there are
mushrooms in there. The cans burst because the contents are spoiled.
Janet B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:18:16 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> The cans burst because the contents are spoiled.

Yes, bad live bacteria can sometimes end up within cans and build up
pressure; check lid & bottom for bulges.

Also, check the metal top & bottom edges for rust. Sometimes a low
cupboard might be cool enough to attract moisture and rust through a can
in a few months. Expect spoilage; possibly toxic.

I prefer canned white mushrooms over fresh simply because raw ones go bad
fairly quickly if not cooked. Yes, the taste is a bit compromised, but
that happens too if they are not cooked in a few days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 00:54:35 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:18:16 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> The cans burst because the contents are spoiled.

>Yes, bad live bacteria can sometimes end up within cans and build up
>pressure; check lid & bottom for bulges.
>
>Also, check the metal top & bottom edges for rust. Sometimes a low
>cupboard might be cool enough to attract moisture and rust through a can
>in a few months. Expect spoilage; possibly toxic.
>

>I prefer canned white mushrooms over fresh simply because raw ones go bad
>fairly quickly if not cooked. Yes, the taste is a bit compromised, but
>that happens too if they are not cooked in a few days.

I think fresh white mushrooms improve with a bit of age, maybe because
they lose water. Of course, there's a limit to this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 00:54:35 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:18:16 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> The cans burst because the contents are spoiled.

>Yes, bad live bacteria can sometimes end up within cans and build up
>pressure; check lid & bottom for bulges.
>
>Also, check the metal top & bottom edges for rust. Sometimes a low
>cupboard might be cool enough to attract moisture and rust through a can
>in a few months. Expect spoilage; possibly toxic.
>

>I prefer canned white mushrooms over fresh simply because raw ones go bad
>fairly quickly if not cooked. Yes, the taste is a bit compromised, but
>that happens too if they are not cooked in a few days.

try storing the fresh mushrooms in a paper bag. I don't say they will
last forever but the bag does keep them from getting slippery.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> Hey, I bet Popeye likes canned spinach.

And I have a can of "Popeye Spinach" in my pantry.
I bought it for the cool cartoon pic of Popeye on the label.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Duffy wrote:

> I prefer canned white mushrooms over fresh simply because raw ones go bad
> fairly quickly if not cooked. Yes, the taste is a bit compromised, but
> that happens too if they are not cooked in a few days.

Way back, I used to buy the BnB mushrooms came in jars at first
then maybe switched to canned? Don't know if they still make
them. I believe the BnB stood for broiled in butter (?)
I remember them being good.

Then I discovered fresh and you can just fry them in butter for
the same result and a bit better tasting.

Fresh is all I've bought for many years now. I just buy the
amount that I'll use within a week. Either in 8oz or 16oz
containers and sometimes available in a loose bin to pick
and choose.

Mostly white mushrooms for me. Good enough for most uses
but sometimes other brands.

Made a nice dish once with large portabellos. Stuffed
mushroom caps. The stuffing part included the chopped
stems, onions...and some other things. Oven cooked in
a covered dish. Turned out very nice.

Too long ago to remember the recipe. Seems like it might
have also been topped with a little grated cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> try storing the fresh mushrooms in a paper bag. I don't say they will
> last forever but the bag does keep them from getting slippery.

Definitely get them out of the plastic wrap within a few days or
they will turn slippery/slimy. I've done the paper bag thing
a few times and it extends their life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 07:46:23 -0400, Gary wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> try storing the fresh mushrooms in a paper bag. I don't say they will
>> last forever but the bag does keep them from getting slippery.

> Definitely get them out of the plastic wrap within a few days or they
> will turn slippery/slimy. I've done the paper bag thing a few times and
> it extends their life.

Do you put the bag in the fridge or at ambient temperature?

FWIW, I find that the 'King Oyster' seems to stay fresh longest.

The worst for going bad fast (badder?) were the false morels me & Dad
used to pick, thinking they were real morels. We had no idea how toxic
they are if eaten raw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Duffy wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 07:46:23 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >>
> >> try storing the fresh mushrooms in a paper bag. I don't say they will
> >> last forever but the bag does keep them from getting slippery.

> > Definitely get them out of the plastic wrap within a few days or they
> > will turn slippery/slimy. I've done the paper bag thing a few times and
> > it extends their life.

> Do you put the bag in the fridge or at ambient temperature?

Don't know about that. I always put mine in the vegetable
drawer in the fridge. Maybe next time, I'll put them on the
counter for a few days and see how that goes. I still wouldn't
leave them in the plastic. I'd transfer to a paper bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 12:16:49 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 07:46:23 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>>
>>> try storing the fresh mushrooms in a paper bag. I don't say they will
>>> last forever but the bag does keep them from getting slippery.

>> Definitely get them out of the plastic wrap within a few days or they
>> will turn slippery/slimy. I've done the paper bag thing a few times and
>> it extends their life.

>Do you put the bag in the fridge or at ambient temperature?
>
>FWIW, I find that the 'King Oyster' seems to stay fresh longest.
>
>The worst for going bad fast (badder?) were the false morels me & Dad
>used to pick, thinking they were real morels. We had no idea how toxic
>they are if eaten raw.

keep the bag in the fridge. Best to keep in the vegetable box on the
bottom of the fridge. Morels just have a short life once picked.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 08:23:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Mike Duffy wrote:

>> > Definitely get them out of the plastic wrap within a few days or they
>> > will turn slippery/slimy. I've done the paper bag thing a few times and
>> > it extends their life.

>> Do you put the bag in the fridge or at ambient temperature?

>Don't know about that. I always put mine in the vegetable
>drawer in the fridge. Maybe next time, I'll put them on the
>counter for a few days and see how that goes. I still wouldn't
>leave them in the plastic. I'd transfer to a paper bag.

Some food stores supply paper bags right where you get your mushrooms.
(that is, those stores that have loose, open mushrooms that allow you
to choose and bag your own)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 09:55:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Morels just have a short life once picked.

We were eating the so-called 'false morels'. They are closely related to
morels and resemble them depending on growing conditions.

They also have a special way to decompose. Instead of producing ammonia
like ordinary mushrooms, they produce mono-methyl hydrazine, which is an
extremely toxic rocket propellant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_morel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromitrin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomethylhydrazine

We were cooking them, apparently enough to make them safe to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/23/2020 4:29 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 09:55:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> Morels just have a short life once picked.

> We were eating the so-called 'false morels'. They are closely related to
> morels and resemble them depending on growing conditions.
>
> They also have a special way to decompose. Instead of producing ammonia
> like ordinary mushrooms, they produce mono-methyl hydrazine, which is an
> extremely toxic rocket propellant:

So, what happens when you fart after eating them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 16:35:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/23/2020 4:29 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 09:55:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> Morels just have a short life once picked.

>> We were eating the so-called 'false morels'. They are closely related to
>> morels and resemble them depending on growing conditions.
>>
>> They also have a special way to decompose. Instead of producing ammonia
>> like ordinary mushrooms, they produce mono-methyl hydrazine, which is an
>> extremely toxic rocket propellant:
>>

>So, what happens when you fart after eating them?

How hard is your ceiling?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-5, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some
> > mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad
> > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do dried
> > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right flavor.
> >

> > --

> It's been ages since I've eaten canned mushrooms. When I was young,
> I'd eat them straight out of the can.
>
> --Bryan

Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh to my
way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in
> message ...
> > Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some
> > mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad
> > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do dried
> > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right flavor.

> I prefer dried. Canned are mushy and I've had them leak due to burst
> seams.

You aren't supposed to keep them 10 years....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 5:22:36 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-5, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > > Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some
> > > mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad
> > > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do dried
> > > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right flavor.
> > >

> > > --

> > It's been ages since I've eaten canned mushrooms. When I was young,
> > I'd eat them straight out of the can.
> >
> > --Bryan

> Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh to my
> way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of most ovens.

I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great. Back when I made disappointing ones, I *did* learn to pre cook thinly sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 5:22:36 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:

> > > It's been ages since I've eaten canned mushrooms. When I was
> > > young, I'd eat them straight out of the can.
> > >
> > > --Bryan

> > Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh
> > to my way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives
> are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about
> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has
> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do
> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of
> most ovens.
>
> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they
> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great.
> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to pre cook thinly
> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking
> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the
> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.
>
> --Bryan

Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
out 'fresh' never work on pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:42:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bryan Simmons wrote:

>> > Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh
>> > to my way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

>> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives
>> are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about
>> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has
>> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do
>> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of
>> most ovens.
>>
>> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they
>> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great.
>> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to pre cook thinly
>> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking
>> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the
>> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.
>>
>> --Bryan

>Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
>out 'fresh' never work on pizza.

all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > writes:

> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-5, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>> > Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some
>> > mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad
>> > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do dried
>> > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right flavor.
>> >

>> > --

>> It's been ages since I've eaten canned mushrooms. When I was young,
>> I'd eat them straight out of the can.
>>
>> --Bryan

> Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh to my
> way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

Can you expand on this? I'm curious.
--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons > writes:

>> Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh to my
>> way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives are.
> Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about
> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has
> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do
> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of most
> ovens.

You've touched on some interesting points. I gave up on canned olives
because they don't possess that good olive flavor professional pizzas
have. Moisture is key, got it.

> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they
> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great.
> Back when I made disappointing ones, I *did* learn to pre cook thinly
> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking
> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the
> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.

So this is your dehydration method. Interesting.

I've found that out too. As long as I keep my ingredients down to a
minimum and relatively dry they come out okay. As you say, the oven max
is too low.

I may consider a pizza oven on the back patio. My neighbor has one
and those pies come out great.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. > writes:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:42:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Bryan Simmons wrote:

>>> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives
>>> are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about
>>> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has
>>> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do
>>> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of
>>> most ovens.
>>>
>>> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they
>>> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great.
>>> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to pre cook thinly
>>> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking
>>> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the
>>> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>>Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
>>out 'fresh' never work on pizza.

> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
> used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
> Janet US

I made pizza after high school while awaiting my boot camp date. The
best part of the day was food prep. The veggies were delivered around
6am and I'd spend hours chopping onions, mushrooms, bell peppers,
etc. Made dough for the next day.

All our veggies were fresh but we also used a true pizza oven.
--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > writes:

> On 8/23/2020 4:29 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 09:55:27 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> Morels just have a short life once picked.

>> We were eating the so-called 'false morels'. They are closely related to
>> morels and resemble them depending on growing conditions.
>>
>> They also have a special way to decompose. Instead of producing ammonia
>> like ordinary mushrooms, they produce mono-methyl hydrazine, which is an
>> extremely toxic rocket propellant:
>>

> So, what happens when you fart after eating them?

I'd be more concerned with the effects of lighting said fart. And then,
nearly as concerned with the odor of unlit emissions.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza.

I always use them fresh and sliced on pizza. Never a problem
with watery pizza either.

I made a good one a couple of weeks ago.
Fresh dough then spread out onto the 16" pan.
Brushed the dough with garlic infused EVOO (Pompeian)
Added a layer of onions then a layer of sliced white mushrooms
Topped with a little grated mozz cheese
Baked at 425 for almost 20 minutes

It was a good one
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-23 11:09 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:42:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:

>>> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives
>>> are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about
>>> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has
>>> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do
>>> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of
>>> most ovens.
>>>
>>> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they
>>> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great.
>>> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to pre cook thinly
>>> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking
>>> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the
>>> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
>> out 'fresh' never work on pizza.

> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
> used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
> Janet US

All the canned mushrooms here come from China. "nuff said!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:42:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:

> bad >> > > > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do
> dried >> > > > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right
> flavor. >> > > >

> >> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives
> >> are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares

> about >> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one
> has >> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise
> they do >> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum
> temperature of >> most ovens.
> >>
> >> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and

> they >> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far
> from great. >> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to
> pre cook thinly >> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet
> sprayed with cooking >> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet
> out and putting the >> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the
> 170F oven. >>
> >> --Bryan

> > Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
> > out 'fresh' never work on pizza.

> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
> used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
> Janet US

Umm, no. Most use canned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:42:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:

> bad >> > > > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do
> dried >> > > > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right
> flavor. >> > > >

> >> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives
> >> are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares

> about >> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one
> has >> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise
> they do >> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum
> temperature of >> most ovens.
> >>
> >> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and

> they >> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far
> from great. >> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to
> pre cook thinly >> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet
> sprayed with cooking >> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet
> out and putting the >> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the
> 170F oven. >>
> >> --Bryan

> > Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
> > out 'fresh' never work on pizza.

> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
> used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
> Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Daniel wrote:

> "cshenk" > writes:
>
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> >> On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-5, Tom Del Rosso

> wrote: >> > Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had
> some >> > mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a
> bad >> > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do dried

> >> It's been ages since I've eaten canned mushrooms. When I was

> young, >> I'd eat them straight out of the can.
> >>
> >> --Bryan

> > Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh
> > to my way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

> Can you expand on this? I'm curious.

Everyone varies but there are times when canned do work well. Of
course I am assuming a reasonably quality canned (or jarred) product.

'Fresh sounds best' but this is one where some variation works well.
Now and again as I post a recipe here, I will mention if canned is
optimal.

Most mushrooms here are fresh. I would never use canned in a soup or
on a salad. Mushroom bread making, definately use cans. Casseroles can
go either way. Crockpots generally don't care but if fresh costs a lot
more, wasting your money there to use fresh as same bang in taste with
long slow cooking.

I'm aware most will diss this, but it's true.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 21:38:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 21:42:24 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>> > Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
>> > out 'fresh' never work on pizza.

>> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
>> used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
>> Janet US

>Umm, no. Most use canned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 21:38:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> bad >> > > > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do
>> dried >> > > > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right
>> flavor. >> > > >

>> about >> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one
>> has >> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise
>> they do >> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum
>> temperature of >> most ovens.

>> they >> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far
>> from great. >> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to
>> pre cook thinly >> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet
>> sprayed with cooking >> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet
>> out and putting the >> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the
>> 170F oven. >>
>> >
>> > Then learn. There are times when canned actually work better. Dried
>> > out 'fresh' never work on pizza.

>> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
>> used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
>> Janet US

>Umm, no. Most use canned.

Maybe around you but I have never lived anywhere where canned
mushrooms were used on a pizza. There is no reason to use canned.
Fresh mushrooms cook just fine on a pizza without making a puddle or
shriveling up. I never have that problem at home.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 12:45:45 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 21:38:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
> >U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> >> bad >> > > > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do
> >> dried >> > > > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right
> >> flavor. >> > > >

> >> about >> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one
> >> has >> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise
> >> they do >> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum
> >> temperature of >> most ovens.

> >> they >> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far
> >> from great. >> Back when I made disappointing ones, I did learn to
> >> pre cook thinly >> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet
> >> sprayed with cooking >> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet
> >> out and putting the >> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the
> >> 170F oven. >>

> >> all pizza places use fresh mushrooms when preparing pizza. they don't
> >> used canned. In fact all the vegetables they put on pizzas are fresh.
> >> Janet US

> >Umm, no. Most use canned.

> Maybe around you but I have never lived anywhere where canned
> mushrooms were used on a pizza. There is no reason to use canned.
> Fresh mushrooms cook just fine on a pizza without making a puddle or
> shriveling up. I never have that problem at home.
> Janet US

When I was a kid, pizzerias used canned mushrooms. Nowadays any place
that's worth eating the pizza uses fresh. I'm sure some really cheap places
use canned mushrooms. Even Domino's (and their pizza simply isn't
very good) uses fresh.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 02:52:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 12:45:45 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 21:38:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>> >Umm, no. Most use canned.

>> Maybe around you but I have never lived anywhere where canned
>> mushrooms were used on a pizza. There is no reason to use canned.
>> Fresh mushrooms cook just fine on a pizza without making a puddle or
>> shriveling up. I never have that problem at home.
>> Janet US

>When I was a kid, pizzerias used canned mushrooms. Nowadays any place
>that's worth eating the pizza uses fresh. I'm sure some really cheap places
>use canned mushrooms. Even Domino's (and their pizza simply isn't
>very good) uses fresh.

Maybe cshenkie has her pizzas in the Navy canteen, with Don and
Charlotte (cshenkie jr).