Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default canned mushrooms

Mike Duffy wrote:

> I prefer canned white mushrooms over fresh simply because raw ones go bad
> fairly quickly if not cooked. Yes, the taste is a bit compromised, but
> that happens too if they are not cooked in a few days.

Way back, I used to buy the BnB mushrooms came in jars at first
then maybe switched to canned? Don't know if they still make
them. I believe the BnB stood for broiled in butter (?)
I remember them being good.

Then I discovered fresh and you can just fry them in butter for
the same result and a bit better tasting.

Fresh is all I've bought for many years now. I just buy the
amount that I'll use within a week. Either in 8oz or 16oz
containers and sometimes available in a loose bin to pick
and choose.

Mostly white mushrooms for me. Good enough for most uses
but sometimes other brands.

Made a nice dish once with large portabellos. Stuffed
mushroom caps. The stuffing part included the chopped
stems, onions...and some other things. Oven cooked in
a covered dish. Turned out very nice.

Too long ago to remember the recipe. Seems like it might
have also been topped with a little grated cheese.