Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan Simmons Bryan Simmons is offline

Default canned mushrooms

On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 5:22:36 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > On Friday, August 21, 2020 at 1:11:01 PM UTC-5, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > > Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some
> > > mushrooms, but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad
> > > rep. Are the canned ones any good, in any brand? Do dried
> > > mushrooms keep? Pickled ones wouldn't have the right flavor.
> > >

> > > --

> > It's been ages since I've eaten canned mushrooms. When I was young,
> > I'd eat them straight out of the can.
> >
> > --Bryan

> Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh to my
> way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives are. Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of most ovens.

I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great. Back when I made disappointing ones, I *did* learn to pre cook thinly sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.

--Bryan