Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Getting rid of "canned" taste in mushrooms

While I use fresh mushrooms for most recipes, canned ones can be
convenient and the straw mushrooms from the oriental market stay tender
while most canned mushrooms are rubbery.

Rinsing them well in a screen strainer, then cooking them in a bit of
butter and olive oil with garlic improves the taste somewhat, but are
there any other methods of improving the flavor that anyone knows of?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> While I use fresh mushrooms for most recipes, canned ones can be
> convenient and the straw mushrooms from the oriental market stay tender
> while most canned mushrooms are rubbery.
>
> Rinsing them well in a screen strainer, then cooking them in a bit of
> butter and olive oil with garlic improves the taste somewhat, but are
> there any other methods of improving the flavor that anyone knows of?
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Make cream, tomato and mushroom soup with a filo pastry top? Or batter
fried ones might be good as a snack with plain fromage frais with
seasoning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"dee" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > While I use fresh mushrooms for most recipes, canned ones can be
> > convenient and the straw mushrooms from the oriental market stay tender
> > while most canned mushrooms are rubbery.
> >
> > Rinsing them well in a screen strainer, then cooking them in a bit of
> > butter and olive oil with garlic improves the taste somewhat, but are
> > there any other methods of improving the flavor that anyone knows of?

> Make cream, tomato and mushroom soup with a filo pastry top? Or batter
> fried ones might be good as a snack with plain fromage frais with
> seasoning.

Soup is good.......... and I'd not thought of deep frying them, thanks!
:-) I'd have to drain them well before trying that as they have pretty
deep caps. Cool idea!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "dee" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > > While I use fresh mushrooms for most recipes, canned ones can be
> > > convenient and the straw mushrooms from the oriental market stay tender
> > > while most canned mushrooms are rubbery.
> > >
> > > Rinsing them well in a screen strainer, then cooking them in a bit of
> > > butter and olive oil with garlic improves the taste somewhat, but are
> > > there any other methods of improving the flavor that anyone knows of?

> > Make cream, tomato and mushroom soup with a filo pastry top? Or batter
> > fried ones might be good as a snack with plain fromage frais with
> > seasoning.

> Soup is good.......... and I'd not thought of deep frying them, thanks!
> :-) I'd have to drain them well before trying that as they have pretty
> deep caps. Cool idea!
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Glad it's of use. Talking about canned mushroom, I craved for it
occasionally, straight out of the can during budget student days.