Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daniel[_6_] Daniel[_6_] is offline

Default canned mushrooms

Bryan Simmons > writes:

>> Canned mushrooms are actually optimal in *some things* over fresh to my
>> way of thought. Pizza is one of them for example.

> Oh God. They're terrible on pizza, just like canned black olives are.
> Yeah, it's extra work, but everyone here ostensibly cares about
> cooking. Using fresh mushrooms on pizza works best if one has
> slightly dehydrated the sliced mushrooms first. Otherwise they do
> indeed have too much moisture for the 525F maximum temperature of most
> ovens.

You've touched on some interesting points. I gave up on canned olives
because they don't possess that good olive flavor professional pizzas
have. Moisture is key, got it.

> I've on and off tried to make scratch pizzas over the years, and they
> were never very good. I make decent ones now, though far from great.
> Back when I made disappointing ones, I *did* learn to pre cook thinly
> sliced mushrooms by preheating a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking
> spray to 170F, then taking the cookie sheet out and putting the
> mushroom slices on, and returning it to the 170F oven.

So this is your dehydration method. Interesting.

I've found that out too. As long as I keep my ingredients down to a
minimum and relatively dry they come out okay. As you say, the oven max
is too low.

I may consider a pizza oven on the back patio. My neighbor has one
and those pies come out great.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world