Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Martin[_4_] Sheldon Martin[_4_] is offline

Default canned mushrooms

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 14:10:53 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:

>Sometimes I make something unplanned and I wish I had some mushrooms,
>but I don't keep a can handy because they have a bad rep. Are the canned
>ones any good, in any brand? Do dried mushrooms keep? Pickled ones
>wouldn't have the right flavor.

Dried 'shrooms keep forever and have the best flavor for all cooked
dishes. Canned 'shrooms are good when in a hurry and nothing else is
available. Shrooms from the produce department are okay for many
dishes but still dehys have the best flavor. Most restaurants that
employ shrooms like Chinese mainly use dehys and canned, because their
recipes use shooms that are not available fresh like straw 'shrooms.
It depends on the recipe and your available time and effort.