Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can't Find Mushrooms Canned In the U.S.!

What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!

Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.

Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
where you live?

Judy
P.S. this is a pet peeve of mine too about dog treats/chews. I refuse to
buy products made in China, etc. for my little toy dog, as just not sure
about the preparation and health aspect of it, so I always make sure I
read the labels to see if it made in the USA. Don't even get me started
on buying clothing!!! %-}

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!

Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.

Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
where you live?

Judy

Hi, Judy......When I read your post just now, I thought...Hold it!!.....I
don't want to look out for 'Cans' of mushrooms, I want fresh one's.....Why
would you ever want to buy canned stuff when you can buy 'Fresh' stuff....If
it's out of season, then they might be available to you from
Interstate?......

I see you Americans are always using cans of this and cans of that!!...Why
not fresh?....The same with Pumpkin Pies....Cans of Pumpkin??...why not
fresh??

Also, if I wanted either fresh or canned produce, I want Australian!..not
USA!....... This is an international newsgroup composed of Americans,
Canadians, British, Australians, European's, etc....So why would we all be
looking out for USA products for?..... :-))

Anyway, Judy, I agree with you about Chinese, Thailand and some other Asian
countries imports of foods and clothing (and Electrical Goods, unless we are
talking about Japanese Electrical goods though, they are different)......

Our Supermarkets here in Oz seem to be stocked with a large percentage of
imported foods these days....Our laws here require Country of Origin, The
country where the food is grown or produced...... I never buy Asian things
if I can avoid them....We do have a lot of USA and Canadian products on our
shelves though, and I will buy those if there isn't an Australian one
available....

By the way.....Canned Mushrooms always taste YUK....Even Australian
one's..... :-)

Barry Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 9:48*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
> went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
> shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!

The US canned mushroom industry has been hurting since the 1960s.
Cheap labor spelled doom for no-value added products. The beginning of
the end came during the GWB administration.

The biggest culprit is Giorgio. They own the Pennsylvania Dutchman
brand, which was the last holdout for 4 oz canned mushrooms from
Pennsylvania.

> Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
> different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
> mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
> a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
> discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
> mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
> ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.

Sauteed taste a lot better.

> Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
> where you live?

http://www.themushroomcompany.com/cannedmushrooms.asp
hanoverfoods.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry Oz wrote:

>Our Supermarkets here in Oz seem to
> be stocked with a large percentage of
> imported foods these days....Our laws
> here require Country of Origin, The
> country where the food is grown or
> produced...... I never buy Asian things if
> I can avoid them....We do have a lot of
> USA and Canadian products on our
> shelves though, and I will buy those if
> there isn't an Australian one available....
>By the way.....Canned Mushrooms
> always taste YUK....Even Australian
>one's..... :-)

Hi Barry!

I don't think I've ever seen a post from you before in here? I enjoyed
it, and only snipped it because of the length.

I don't recall ever finding any products in our local stores from
Australia, but we do have quite a few things from Canada, and I will buy
those items.

You are very correct about canned mushrooms and that they are inferior
to fresh, and I also agree, everything is better quality if bought fresh
and prepared at home. We love mushrooms, so buy the fresh often, and am
thinking they are from California, but not positive. I couldn't tell you
how long it has been since I had a can of mushrooms in our pantry, and
for sure, there never will be again either!

BTW, I have two dear friends in Oz. and love hearing about the area, and
seeing photographs. Lovely place!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:

>The US canned mushroom industry has
> been hurting since the 1960s. Cheap
> labor spelled doom for no-value added
> products. The beginning of the end
> came during the GWB administration.

>The biggest culprit is Giorgio. They own
> the Pennsylvania Dutchman brand,
> which was the last holdout for 4 oz
> canned mushrooms from Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the info on the canned mushroom industry. I appreciate your
input, as I didn't know all this before. This group can be a wealth of
information at times. Just ask, and you shall receive!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-03-12 07:02:38 +0000, Judy Haffner said:
> You are very correct about canned mushrooms and that they are inferior
> to fresh, and I also agree, everything is better quality if bought fresh
> and prepared at home. We love mushrooms, so buy the fresh often, and am
> thinking they are from California, but not positive. I couldn't tell you
> how long it has been since I had a can of mushrooms in our pantry, and
> for sure, there never will be again either!

Not bragging, but I live in a place which is considered the mushroom
capital of California. Near Watsonville, which is on the Monterey Bay.
There are mushroom farms all around, as well as strawberry, artichoke,
lettuce, and a hundred other fields.

So, usually I can find fresh mushrooms, year-round.

But I always keep several cans of canned mushrooms around, in case I
don't want to drive 8 miles to the nearest supermarket.

Nothing that much wrong with canned mushrooms. They have a different
consistency, of course, but they still taste strongly of mushrooms. For
some dishes, I actually prefer the canned variety.

And yeah, most canned mushrooms now come from distant parts of the
world. The same way most canned or jarred artichokes come from afar. (I
can remember when most jarred artichoke hears--I remember the name
"Cara Mia"--came from towns near where I now live. (Like Castroville.)
Most of these canneries and jarring factories shut down long, long ago.
The fresh stuff still gets sold, still goes to the restaurants, but the
canneries for mushrooms and artichokes and several other vegetables and
fruits moved to South America and Asia about 20 years ago. The point is
that canning costs are so much lower in those areas. And once in a can
or jar or bottle, a few weeks spent in a shipping container has no
effect on the quality. Which is why most canned or jarred products now
come from outside the U.S.

(The companies in my area which moved out of the area to South American
and Asia have some names you should be familiar with: Dole, Green
Giant, Del Monte, Libby's, etc.)

And I buy a lot of canned stuff and other stuff from other parts of the
world. I love the fact that California's winter is Chile's summer, so
we get a lot of good avocadoes, citrus, etc. from them.

(I have 9 avocado and 12 citrus trees, plus a bunch of peaches, apples,
nectarines, and pears on my place in the hills above Watsonville and
Aptos, so I know whereof I speak. I don't grow to sell, only to
consume.)

Nothing dramatically wrong with canned mushrooms when fresh ones are
not in season.

--
Tim May

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 12:48*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
> went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
> shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!
>
> Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
> different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
> mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
> a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
> discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
> mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
> ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.
>
> Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
> where you live?
>
> Judy
> P.S. this is a pet peeve of mine too about dog treats/chews. I refuse to
> buy products made in China, etc. for my little toy dog, as just not sure
> about the preparation and health aspect of it, so I always make sure I
> read the labels to see if it made in the USA. Don't even get me started
> on buying clothing!!! %-}

I just looked at a can that I bought recently. Guess what? 'Made in
China.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well. That was interesting. PupCorn treats - the Yorkie's favorite around
here - made in Alabama with 100% USA ingredients. The other pet stuff says,
"distributed by". We have grown very suspicious of the "distributed by"
words. Especially since I read cans in the pantry with the Green Giant
label from Indonesia. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 4:57*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
> In article >,
> *A Moose in Love > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 12, 12:48 am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > > What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
> > > went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
> > > shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!

> > > Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
> > > different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
> > > mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
> > > a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
> > > discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
> > > mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
> > > ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.

> > > Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
> > > where you live?

> > > Judy
> > > P.S. this is a pet peeve of mine too about dog treats/chews. I refuse to
> > > buy products made in China, etc. for my little toy dog, as just not sure
> > > about the preparation and health aspect of it, so I always make sure I
> > > read the labels to see if it made in the USA. Don't even get me started
> > > on buying clothing!!! %-}

> > I just looked at a can that I bought recently. *Guess what? *'Made in
> > China.'

> so you once again bought a product without looking at the ingredient label.

what if they sold canned malcom? i wouldn't buy any even if the
ingredients label said 'made outside of china' if the stuff was made
in Antarctica, i'd purchase the canned penguin before buying canned
malcom you can be sure of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
A Moose in Love > wrote:

> On Mar 12, 12:48*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
> > went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
> > shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!
> >
> > Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
> > different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
> > mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
> > a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
> > discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
> > mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
> > ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.
> >
> > Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
> > where you live?
> >
> > Judy
> > P.S. this is a pet peeve of mine too about dog treats/chews. I refuse to
> > buy products made in China, etc. for my little toy dog, as just not sure
> > about the preparation and health aspect of it, so I always make sure I
> > read the labels to see if it made in the USA. Don't even get me started
> > on buying clothing!!! %-}

> I just looked at a can that I bought recently. Guess what? 'Made in
> China.'

so you once again bought a product without looking at the ingredient label.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> > Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
> > where you live?
> >

> http://www.themushroomcompany.com/cannedmushrooms.asp
> hanoverfoods.com

They're grown in the U.S. and Canada and processed in Cambridge,
Maryland. I hope business is good.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwertie wrote:

>Isn't this interesting. The two mental giants, Alfie and Heroin
>Slammer in a battle of wits. Question is, which one will be the
>biggest loser? Stay tuned!

Another Alfie, sqwertie? By now you may have lost count.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
>>> Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
>>> where you live?
>>>

>> http://www.themushroomcompany.com/cannedmushrooms.asp
>> hanoverfoods.com

> They're grown in the U.S. and Canada and processed in Cambridge,
> Maryland. I hope business is good.

I had just found that. A lot of mushrooms grown in Pennsylvania. they make
a point, when you can sell them fresh, why can.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:02:30 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > On Mar 12, 4:57*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> > > wrote:
> >> In article

> >> so you once again bought a product without looking at the ingredient
> >> label.

> > what if they sold canned malcom? i wouldn't buy any even if the
> > ingredients label said 'made outside of china' if the stuff was made
> > in Antarctica, i'd purchase the canned penguin before buying canned
> > malcom you can be sure of it.

> Isn't this interesting. The two mental giants, Alfie and Heroin
> Slammer in a battle of wits. Question is, which one will be the
> biggest loser? Stay tuned!
>
> -sw

you've already lost
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
A Moose in Love > wrote:

> > so you once again bought a product without looking at the ingredient label.

> what if they sold canned malcom? i wouldn't buy any even if the
> ingredients label said 'made outside of china' if the stuff was made
> in Antarctica, i'd purchase the canned penguin before buying canned
> malcom you can be sure of it.

that's pretty negative coming from such a consummate consumer as you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry Oz wrote:

>Our Supermarkets here in Oz seem to
> be stocked with a large percentage of
> imported foods these days....Our laws
> here require Country of Origin, The
> country where the food is grown or
> produced...... I never buy Asian things if
> I can avoid them....We do have a lot of
> USA and Canadian products on our
> shelves though, and I will buy those if
> there isn't an Australian one available....
>By the way.....Canned Mushrooms
> always taste YUK....Even Australian
>one's..... :-)

Hi Barry!

I don't think I've ever seen a post from you before in here? I enjoyed
it, and only snipped it because of the length.

I don't recall ever finding any products in our local stores from
Australia, but we do have quite a few things from Canada, and I will buy
those items.

You are very correct about canned mushrooms and that they are inferior
to fresh, and I also agree, everything is better quality if bought fresh
and prepared at home. We love mushrooms, so buy the fresh often, and am
thinking they are from California, but not positive. I couldn't tell you
how long it has been since I had a can of mushrooms in our pantry, and
for sure, there never will be again either!

BTW, I have two dear friends in Oz. and love hearing about the area, and
seeing photographs. Lovely place!

Judy

I have posted in this group off and on now for around 12 years, Judy.....Not
everyday though....

By any chance, do your friends live anywhere in or near Sydney?....I do.....

Barry Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwertie is stuck in the '60s.

>>>Isn't this interesting. The two mental giants, Alfie and Heroin
>>>Slammer in a battle of wits. Question is, which one will be the
>>>biggest loser? Stay tuned!

>> Another Alfie, sqwertie? By now you may have lost count.

>No, this is the original Alfie, like I *told* you already. You are
>Alfie Too. There is no Alfie Three. Yet.

Too much acid way back when can make you think everything is an
episode of deja vu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

squishy's acid trip redux continues.

>> I had just found that. A lot of mushrooms grown in Pennsylvania. they make
>> a point, when you can sell them fresh, why can.

>I prefer the texture of canned mushrooms in some things. Especially
>as a pizza topping. I hate fresh mushrooms on pizza.

Have you tried cooking them first, nimrod?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

>If you read the entire post, you'd see she did (and normally does) buy fresh
>mushrooms. But she had a recipe calling for a 4 oz. can so she went
>looking. And reading labels.

Canned mushrooms are cooked mushrooms. Canned vegetables are a
convenience for most people, not a first choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

>> Isn't this interesting. The two mental giants, Alfie and Heroin
>> Slammer in a battle of wits. Question is, which one will be the
>> biggest loser? Stay tuned!

>you've already lost

sqwertie has his own personal scoring method. Basically, he pretends
he's the only one competing, so by his method, he always wins by
shutout.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:

> I had just found that. A lot of mushrooms grown in Pennsylvania. they make
> a point, when you can sell them fresh, why can.

Because fresh mushrooms have a very short shelf life, the majority of
Pennsylvania's mushrooms (and all mushroom growers) are canned and/or
dehydrated, and nowadays frozen/freeze dried... it would be very
stupid to go into the mushroom growing business and let most of the
production rot. Mushrooms are relatively inexpensive to produce and
are not weather dependant but getting fresh to market is very
expensive... and much spoils on the grocer's shelves... that's why
fresh mushrooms are relatively expensive, someone needs to pay for all
the refrigerated transportation and spoilage. Most food products need
to be preserved or they'd be wasted, most foods people consume are
preserved... tell us you never eat condiments; no ketchup (originally
made of mushrooms), no mustard, no hot sauce and certainly no spices,
and you've never eaten a ham sandwhich... did yoose know that cheese
making was originally a way to preserve milk... you must have a very
limited diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry Oz. wrote:

>I have posted in this group off and on
> now for around 12 years, Judy.....Not
>everyday though....

You're probably just not as verbal as some of the posters, or as LOUD!
:-)

I found this group in Sept. and started posting then, and for the most
part, I am really enjoying it.

>By any chance, do your friends live
> anywhere in or near Sydney?....I do.....

One of my friends lives in Victoria and the other in Seaford Meadows,
South Australia. Are you familiar with these areas? I'm a l-o-n-g way
from there, as live in Alaska!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:31:42 AM UTC-6, George M. Middius wrote:
> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>
> >> Isn't this interesting. The two mental giants, Alfie and Heroin
> >> Slammer in a battle of wits. Question is, which one will be the
> >> biggest loser? Stay tuned!

> >you've already lost

> sqwertie has his own personal scoring method. Basically, he pretends
> he's the only one competing, so by his method, he always wins by
> shutout.

Little squertie's brain is fried...pay no attention to his
delusional rants. Once a druggy, always a druggy.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 12:48*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
> went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
> shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!
>
> Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
> different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
> mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
> a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
> discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
> mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
> ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.
>
> Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
> where you live?
>
> Judy
> P.S. this is a pet peeve of mine too about dog treats/chews. I refuse to
> buy products made in China, etc. for my little toy dog, as just not sure
> about the preparation and health aspect of it, so I always make sure I
> read the labels to see if it made in the USA. Don't even get me started
> on buying clothing!!! %-}

Offhand, I would guess it's a case of supply and demand. Fresh
mushrooms are always available, and provide a better 'product.' So,
who wants to buy canned? I can't think of the last time I wanted to
buy canned mushrooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 1:10*am, Tim May > wrote:
> On 2012-03-12 07:02:38 +0000, Judy Haffner said:
>
> > You are very correct about canned mushrooms and that they are inferior
> > to fresh, and I also agree, everything is better quality if bought fresh
> > and prepared at home. We love mushrooms, so buy the fresh often, and am
> > thinking they are from California, but not positive. I couldn't tell you
> > how long it has been since I had a can of mushrooms in our pantry, and
> > for sure, there never will be again either!

> Not bragging, but I live in a place which is considered the mushroom
> capital of California. Near Watsonville, which is on the Monterey Bay.
> There are mushroom farms all around, as well as strawberry, artichoke,
> lettuce, and a hundred other fields.
>
> So, usually I can find fresh mushrooms, year-round.
>
> But I always keep several cans of canned mushrooms around, in case I
> don't want to drive 8 miles to the nearest supermarket.
>
> Nothing that much wrong with canned mushrooms. They have a different
> consistency, of course, but they still taste strongly of mushrooms. For
> some dishes, I actually prefer the canned variety.
>
> And yeah, most canned mushrooms now come from distant parts of the
> world. The same way most canned or jarred artichokes come from afar. (I
> can remember when most jarred artichoke hears--I remember the name
> "Cara Mia"--came from towns near where I now live. (Like Castroville.)
> Most of these canneries and jarring factories shut down long, long ago.
> The fresh stuff still gets sold, still goes to the restaurants, but the
> canneries for mushrooms and artichokes and several other vegetables and
> fruits moved to South America and Asia about 20 years ago. The point is
> that canning costs are so much lower in those areas. And once in a can
> or jar or bottle, a few weeks spent in a shipping container has no
> effect on the quality. Which is why most canned or jarred products now
> come from outside the U.S.
>
> (The companies in my area which moved out of the area to South American
> and Asia have some names you should be familiar with: Dole, Green
> Giant, Del Monte, Libby's, etc.)
>
> And I buy a lot of canned stuff and other stuff from other parts of the
> world. I love the fact that California's winter is Chile's summer, so
> we get a lot of good avocadoes, citrus, etc. from them.
>
> (I have 9 avocado and 12 citrus trees, plus a bunch of peaches, apples,
> nectarines, and pears on my place in the hills above Watsonville and
> Aptos, so I know whereof I speak. I don't grow to sell, only to
> consume.)
>
> Nothing dramatically wrong with canned mushrooms when fresh ones are
> not in season.
>
> --
> Tim May

Very nice place to live- my husband misses living in Phoenix where he
was spoiled by the local citrus and avocados...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy, put down the crack pipe already.

>> sqwertie is stuck in the '60s.

>>>No, this is the original Alfie, like I *told* you already. You are
>>>Alfie Too. There is no Alfie Three. Yet.

>> Too much acid way back when can make you think everything is an
>> episode of deja vu.

>Well, you responded to my post where I said that, so you might want to
>get that amnesia checked out.
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...b?dmode=source
>
>Or maybe take time to read the posts before you start your usual
>yapping. Because you really suck at this debate thing, Alfie Too.

<snicker>

Just because you said "Alfie Too", you expect me to follow your absurd
chain of causality? You started out calling me Alfie, then you'd
realized you were wrong (again), so you tried to ooze out of admitting
it by coming up with the "Too". Who the **** knows what your "thought"
process was? You're such a weirdo that practically nobody can follow
you. Not to mention you have what, 8 or 10 feuds going on this one
newsgroup? Sorry, Mr. Headcase. I didn't grok your meaning originally,
and I'm not gonna try anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

squishy, don't be so testy. You give people grief right and left, but
you whine and whimper like a scared pooch when it comes back at you.

>> squishy's acid trip redux continues.

>>>I prefer the texture of canned mushrooms in some things. Especially
>>>as a pizza topping. I hate fresh mushrooms on pizza.

>> Have you tried cooking them first, nimrod?

>Have you tried reading the rest of my post before you start snipping,
>in where I said:
>
>> Just simmer your mushrooms for about 10-12 minutes. Then let them
>> cool. That works for me when I want the texture, and the flavor is
>> better than canned/bottled.

>Dude, stop your constant, useless yapping[sic]. It doesn't bug me, I crank
>out plenty of kooks a year. But you're annoying everyone else. I
>have enough semi-intelligent detractors that you are pretty far down
>there (next to Roy) on the Entertainment Value and Intelligence
>scales.

Please document the measures you take to contain your ego when it
expands like superheated steam. TIA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

>> I have no idea what anonymice you are referring to. Care to enlighten me?

>who gives a shit whether or not he's new, old, Jewish, or whatever.

There's one of the aforementioned anonymice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

duh-Marty wallows in ... well, we all know what it is.

>>> I don't know what an "anonymice" is supposed to be but English is
>>> preferred here.

>> Oh, Marty. You were doing so well. You were insightful; you responded
>> to insight; now this ham-handed detour into self-pity. Tsk, tsk.

>Self pity?

So it appears. Ask around.

Also, if you weren't so wrapped up in yourself, you might have
recognized the source of that phrase. It's not too late, though.

>Do you need to go to Adult Remedial Reading class? Or did you already try
>that?

Nope. I wouldn't waste money on it. How's your 44th year of therapy
coming?

>BTW it's curious that you share the anonymous/anonymice word with Pester
>Lucas.

<snicker>

Do you think either one of us invented it? How naive you can be.

>Not saying it means anything of course. I'm just sayin'.

..... what, exactly? Sounds like "Pity me, I'm put upon, boo-hoo."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy loses focus.

>> Also, if you weren't so wrapped up in yourself, you might have
>> recognized the source of that phrase. It's not too late, though.

>When I look up "Anonymice

Why would you look that up, Stinko? Why not look up the phrase I was
referring to?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sgt. Cranky Pants gets it wrong.

>He seems to have had a rather contentious relationship with audiophiles. I
>also see where one of them coined the term Middiot a few years back.

<snicker>

You have no clue. None whatsoever.

But congrats on FINALLY understanding that I am not one of your past
tormentors. How long did it take you to do your homework, Cranky?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Mar 12, 12:48 am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> What the heck is the deal I wonder? I was flabbergasted today when I
>> went to buy a can (or jar) of mushrooms and there were NO brands on the
>> shelves canned in the U.S., so my question is..WHY is that?!
>>
>> Perhaps it is just in our stores, but they were from a couple other
>> different countries, and I refused to buy them, but went and got fresh
>> mushrooms, and used those instead, which is what I usually do, but found
>> a recipe that called for a 4 oz. can mushrooms, so that's when I made my
>> discovery. It's been a really long time since I've even shopped for
>> mushrooms in a can, as they just don't seem to have the flavor the fresh
>> ones do, and are "slimy" feeling.
>>
>> Do you ever find mushrooms that are a product of the U.S. in the stores
>> where you live?
>>
>> Judy
>> P.S. this is a pet peeve of mine too about dog treats/chews. I refuse to
>> buy products made in China, etc. for my little toy dog, as just not sure
>> about the preparation and health aspect of it, so I always make sure I
>> read the labels to see if it made in the USA. Don't even get me started
>> on buying clothing!!! %-}

> Offhand, I would guess it's a case of supply and demand. Fresh
> mushrooms are always available, and provide a better 'product.' So,
> who wants to buy canned? I can't think of the last time I wanted to
> buy canned mushrooms.

What if there was a major power outage, for days. And you didn't have any
fresh mushrooms. And you got the sudden urge to make beef stroganoff in a
cast iron pot on the grill. (Why? the beef has thawed and the ice in the
cooler is melting. The stores are out of bagged ice. You have to use the
beef before it spoils! And the sour cream. Heheh) Would you use canned
mushrooms then? <chuckle>

Jill

Senior Member

Location: New York

It is really strange to hear that none of the US company produces canned mushrooms. Even I experienced the same problem but I thought I was wrong. But I am right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:57:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:16:53 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> What if there was a major power outage, for days. And you didn't have any
>> fresh mushrooms. And you got the sudden urge to make beef stroganoff in a
>> cast iron pot on the grill. (Why? the beef has thawed and the ice in the
>> cooler is melting. The stores are out of bagged ice. You have to use the
>> beef before it spoils! And the sour cream. Heheh) Would you use canned
>> mushrooms then? <chuckle>

>No. Because beef stroganoff does not have mushrooms in it. Duh.

?? Mine does, so I did a quick search to see if I was way off---
but the first 5 recipes I looked at all had mushrooms, too. Who
makes it w/o. [and why?<g>]

And to Jill-- I'd use dehydrated ones.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 9:57*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:16:53 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> > What if there was a major power outage, for days. *And you didn't have any
> > fresh mushrooms. *And you got the sudden urge to make beef stroganoff in a
> > cast iron pot on the grill. (Why? *the beef has thawed and the ice in the
> > cooler is melting. *The stores are out of bagged ice. *You have to use the
> > beef before it spoils! *And the sour cream. *Heheh) *Would you use canned
> > mushrooms then? *<chuckle>

> No. *Because beef stroganoff does not have mushrooms in it. *Duh.
>
> Is this like one of those, "Doctor, will I be able to play the piano?"
> scenarios?

Are you serious? No mushrooms in stroganoff? That's news to me.
Let's see how you try and get out of this one.

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:13:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:11:50 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:57:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>No. Because beef stroganoff does not have mushrooms in it. Duh.
>>>

>> ?? Mine does, so I did a quick search to see if I was way off---
>> but the first 5 recipes I looked at all had mushrooms, too. Who
>> makes it w/o. [and why?<g>]

>Mushrooms were never part of the original recipes until it reached
>America. Damn Yankee Gringos!

Watch who you're calling a gringo! The Brazilians use onions &
mushrooms-- and even do chicken and shrimp version. [according to the
infallible Wiki-pedia.]

That was my lesson for the day-- I never heard that the Russians
didn't use mushrooms *or onions*. Glad we changed that one up.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 11:13*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:11:50 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:57:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> >>No. *Because beef stroganoff does not have mushrooms in it. *Duh.

> > ?? * *Mine does, so I did a quick search to see if I was way off---
> > but the first 5 recipes I looked at all had mushrooms, too. * * *Who
> > makes it w/o. [and why?<g>]

> Mushrooms were never part of the original recipes until it reached
> America. *Damn Yankee Gringos!

You're full of it again. And what a lousy liar you are. The chef who
trained me was from Karlsruhe, Germany, and when he showed me how to
make stroganoff, he told me that the classical European way was to
make it with mushrooms.
You can fool some of the people here, but you can't get past me.

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 8:13*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:11:50 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:57:43 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> >>No. *Because beef stroganoff does not have mushrooms in it. *Duh.

> > ?? * *Mine does, so I did a quick search to see if I was way off---
> > but the first 5 recipes I looked at all had mushrooms, too. * * *Who
> > makes it w/o. [and why?<g>]

> Mushrooms were never part of the original recipes until it reached
> America. *Damn Yankee Gringos!

So the French looked to America for Boeuf Stroganoff recipes? Because
they put both mushrooms and onions in their BS.

From marmiton.org :

Ingrédients (pour 4 personnes) :
- 400 à 500 g de viande de boeuf à mijoter
- 30 g de beurre
- 1 oignon finement haché
- 100 g de champignons de Paris
- 1 pincée de sucre
- 1/2 cuillère à café de paprika
- 1 cuillère à soupe de concentré de tomates
- 5 cl de vin blanc sec
- 4 cuillères à soupe de crème fraîche
- 1 cuillère à café de moutarde
- sel et poivre

- a pound of stewing beef
- 30 g of butter
- one onion, chopped fine
- a quarter-pound of plain white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- a pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- a tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 fl oz of dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons of creme fraiche
- a teaspoon of mustard
- salt and pepper.

Prep: 15 min
Cooking: 20 minutes

Preparation

Cut the meat into thin slices

Heat the butter at high heat; saute the chopped onion and the sliced
mushrooms. Add the meat, then salt, pepper, sugar, and sprinkle
paprika.

After five minutes, add the tomato paste, dissolved in the white wine.

Simmer for 10 minutes, then pour the creme and the mustard over the
food.

Stir gently for several minutes, then serve.

http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/rec...off_28441.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
gregz > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > They're grown in the U.S. and Canada and processed in Cambridge,
> > Maryland. I hope business is good.

> I had just found that. A lot of mushrooms grown in Pennsylvania. they make
> a point, when you can sell them fresh, why can.
>
> Greg

Maybe to satisfy both markets€”for fresh and for canned. I know several
folks who buy canned because they use them for only one recipe and feel
they would waste most of a box of fresh.