Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More about canned mushrooms

On Mar 18, 9:20*am, Gary > wrote:
> At the grocery story yesterday morning, I looked to see if they had canned
> mushrooms. *They still sell them but not the old "B&B" brand which I seem to
> remember.
>
> They offer generic store brand mushrooms...all from the USA.
>
> Interesting though is a brand name, "Giorgio"
> * *http://www.giorgiofoods.com/
>
> They had cans of mushrooms either sliced or whole and 2 sizes of each. *What
> I found interesting is that the cans of whole mushrooms were a product of
> the USA. *The 2 sizes of the sliced mushrooms were a product from China
> though. *wth?

I agree with Gary's puzzlement. AFAIK, Giorgio's whole mushrooms come
from Indonesia, while their stems and pieces come from India. (I may
have these reversed.)

Senior Member

Location: New York

This is the case as labor in China is much cheaper than US. Anyways, the product cannot be of China if the mushrooms are grown in US.