Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians!

In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.

Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
it's time to make more.

Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.

Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.

Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-10-12 11:11 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
>
> Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> it's time to make more.
>
> Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
>
> Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
> and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
> sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
>
> Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
> has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.

Enjoy Cindy. My son and his girlfriend are coming on Monday and we
invited a nephew and his girlfriend.
It is going to be a busy day here on Monday. I have to make an apple pie
in the morning, prepare the stuffing and get the turkey in. I also have
a technician coming to install my new internet service and satellite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:11:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
>
>Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
>it's time to make more.
>
>Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
>
>Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
>and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
>sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
>
>Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
>has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I'm going to one daughters presently for turkey (which I don't
particularly care for but if I don't have to cook it lol) and the
other tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy your turkey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:11:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
>
> Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> it's time to make more.
>
> Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
>
> Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
> and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
> sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
>
> Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
> has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 2:29:45 PM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:11:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
> >
> > Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> > it's time to make more.
> >
> > Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
> >
> > Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
> > and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
> > sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
> >
> > Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
> > has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

That sounds good. Enjoy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:43:04 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> My son and his girlfriend are coming on Monday and we
> invited a nephew and his girlfriend.
> It is going to be a busy day here on Monday. I have to make an apple pie
> in the morning, prepare the stuffing and get the turkey in. I also have
> a technician coming to install my new internet service and satellite.

With those mouth watering smells wafting throughout the house you may have a
hard time getting that technician to leave once the job is complete.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is a nice post.
Did meatloaf, cheesy scalloped potatoes with garden parcely.
Meatloaf...3 lb 80 round
Bread was a half box of chicken stuffing stuff
2 eggs
1 tbs crushed garlic
Half cup parm cheese
Bread looked low so added a cup or so of seasoned panko.
Squirt a half cup ketchup into everything.
Baked 1 hr on 300f 1 hr on 375, finished with salsa on top at 400 for 20 min.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 14:31:14 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>This is a nice post.
>Did meatloaf, cheesy scalloped potatoes with garden parcely.
>Meatloaf...3 lb 80 round
>Bread was a half box of chicken stuffing stuff
>2 eggs
>1 tbs crushed garlic
>Half cup parm cheese
>Bread looked low so added a cup or so of seasoned panko.
>Squirt a half cup ketchup into everything.

A 1/2 cup of ketchup on everything means everything tasted like shit
(TIAD)

tiad0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon, I do not understand what 'tiad' is. Hook me up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:11:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
>>
>> Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
>> it's time to make more.
>>
>> Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
>>
>> Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
>> and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
>> sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
>>
>> Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
>> has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:11:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >> In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
> >>
> >> Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> >> it's time to make more.
> >>
> >> Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
> >>
> >> Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
> >> and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
> >> sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
> >>
> >> Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
> >> has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here. Anyway, roast duck with braised red cabbage, rosti potatoes and other stuff. Our rosti potatoes are different in that they are not browned much. They are good cooked in duck fat. They soak up some of the duck fat they are sauteed in. There is the odd occasion that I will not worry too much about saturated fats.
I make sure to eat saturated fat every day, but not too much. An egg for sure, a bit of chicken fat in chicken soup etc. I think a little bit may be beneficial.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:

>> >Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

>> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

>I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here.

I once bought a whole goose from a game butcher in the Netherlands
(not to eat it of course, I wanted to try and revive it). He was
surprised and said normally only Germans buy them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:59:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

> >> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

> >I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here.

> I once bought a whole goose from a game butcher in the Netherlands
> (not to eat it of course, I wanted to try and revive it). He was
> surprised and said normally only Germans buy them.

Germans like their geese. So do other cultures. We raised geese when we had the farm along with other animals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 16:05:05 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:59:26 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:

>> >I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here.

>> I once bought a whole goose from a game butcher in the Netherlands
>> (not to eat it of course, I wanted to try and revive it). He was
>> surprised and said normally only Germans buy them.

>Germans like their geese. So do other cultures. We raised geese when we had the farm along with other animals.

I lived 15 km from the German border, so they could easily pop over if
they wanted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:
> Sheldon, I do not understand what 'tiad' is. Hook me up.

He always hollers tiad! tiad! tiad! whenever he's sucking on dicks
he likes.

I think it's something his brother taught him.

If you tell him to hook you up, DO NOT turn yoose bsck to him, or he
will surely do yoose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

>>> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

>> I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here.

> I once bought a whole goose from a game butcher in the Netherlands
> (not to eat it of course, I wanted to try and revive it). He was
> surprised and said normally only Germans buy them.

Hell, A dutchman is just a german wearing wooden shoes and whining
about everything. Ja Herr druce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 5:55:53 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> Sheldon, I do not understand what 'tiad' is. Hook me up.

Taste In Ass Disease

If anyone cooks or eats something Sheldon doesn't like, it proves
their sense of taste is in their ass.

Ask him about bacon sometime.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:11:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >> In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
> >>
> >> Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> >> it's time to make more.
> >>
> >> Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
> >>
> >> Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
> >> and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
> >> sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
> >>
> >> Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
> >> has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

Everybody's different. I like turkey well enough. My husband likes it
a lot more, so I cook it several times a year.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:

>> >Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

>> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

>I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here. Anyway, roast duck with braised red cabbage, rosti potatoes and other stuff. Our rosti potatoes are different in that they are not browned much. They are good cooked in duck fat. They soak up some of the duck fat they are sauteed in. There is the odd occasion that I will not worry too much about saturated fats.
>I make sure to eat saturated fat every day, but not too much. An egg for sure, a bit of chicken fat in chicken soup etc. I think a little bit may be beneficial.

Having mentioned goose in that post, I kept thinking about it when we
ate turkey and on the drive home mentioned it to my grandson who
pressed me to cook one for them and me His wife and I have to have
a session pre-Xmas deciding how we want to do the big Xmas Party here
in the party room, so it is decided, a meeting and roast goose - I
know it's expensive now but-but-but lol

Do you leave your duck uncovered in the fridge overnight? It really
makes the skin more tasty when cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 7:15:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

> >> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

> >I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here. Anyway, roast duck with braised red cabbage, rosti potatoes and other stuff. Our rosti potatoes are different in that they are not browned much. They are good cooked in duck fat. They soak up some of the duck fat they are sauteed in.. There is the odd occasion that I will not worry too much about saturated fats.
> >I make sure to eat saturated fat every day, but not too much. An egg for sure, a bit of chicken fat in chicken soup etc. I think a little bit may be beneficial.

> Having mentioned goose in that post, I kept thinking about it when we
> ate turkey and on the drive home mentioned it to my grandson who
> pressed me to cook one for them and me His wife and I have to have
> a session pre-Xmas deciding how we want to do the big Xmas Party here
> in the party room, so it is decided, a meeting and roast goose - I
> know it's expensive now but-but-but lol
>
> Do you leave your duck uncovered in the fridge overnight? It really
> makes the skin more tasty when cooked.

I didn't know this about duck. It's too late though. It's going into the oven today for a noon lunch. We are celebrating Thanksgiving today, and not on the official day which is tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> it's time to make more.

IMO, turkey stock is the strongest and the best.
I can get about 14 quarts of a strong, gelled
turkey stock just from an 18-20lb turkey carcass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Be glad that she is doing the turkey. It could be worse. You could be
> hosting and have to buy and cook a large enough turkey to be festive and
> then be stuck with a bunch of unwanted leftovers.

What? Stuck with a bunch of unwanted leftovers?
No leftovers from a turkey dinner is unwanted here.

Occasionally, I'll have a Thanksgiving when no one
is coming. I'll still cook a large turkey with all
the sides. More for me.

All leftovers are good and frozen for future meals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shelly, is a good squirt of ketchup acceptable? I do not measure anything unless baking of which I do none. Not good at it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 7:42:08 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 17:55:35 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2019-10-12 5:41 p.m., wrote:

> >> A 1/2 cup of ketchup on everything means everything tasted like shit
> >> (TIAD)
> >>

> >Bullshit. I rarely use ketchup, but I consider it a essential ingredient
> >for meat loaf, and that is one of the few things for which I use ketchup
> >as a condiment.

> Your reading comprehansion is crippled... a 1/2 cup of ketchup on
> *EVERYTHING* IS TIAD!!! With that much ketchup on meat loaf it may as
> well be made of Ken-L-Ration. I shappen to like Heinz red but only in
> some instances, perhaps a small schmear on a slice of meat loaf but
> NOT half a cup. Perhaps Canucks have no concept of what's half a cup.

half a cup is what it is. it's neither a cup, nor an absence of a cup. It's good is what it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 9:40:26 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> > it's time to make more.

> IMO, turkey stock is the strongest and the best.
> I can get about 14 quarts of a strong, gelled
> turkey stock just from an 18-20lb turkey carcass.

I don't really measure how much stock we get. I reduce it down
until it's about like the original pan drippings. It yields
maybe a gallon, which we then pour into a large ziploc and
freeze flat.

We'll freeze some of the dark meat (what remains after several
meals of leftovers) for my husband. Other than that, I don't
have any use leftovers. I dislike the taste of reheated meat
(unless it has a strong sauce on it like barbecue sauce) and
cooked turkey breast meat in particular takes on a peculiar
spongy texture after defrosting. I'm just as happy to donate
most of the leftover breast meat to the stockpot.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 7:15:04 AM UTC-4,
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > > wrote:

> > Hamilton wrote: >> >> In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a
> > turkey today. >> >>

> > turkey and >> >> it's time to make more.

> > the onions >> >> and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed
> > hot pepper flakes >> >> sit on the counter awaiting my husband's
> > master hand with the spicing. >> >>

> > which >> >> has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and
> > mild temperatures. >> >>

> > having turkey, but roast duck. >>
> > >
> > > I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here.
> > > Anyway, roast duck with braised red cabbage, rosti potatoes and
> > > other stuff. Our rosti potatoes are different in that they are
> > > not browned much. They are good cooked in duck fat. They soak
> > > up some of the duck fat they are sauteed in. There is the odd
> > > occasion that I will not worry too much about saturated fats. I
> > > make sure to eat saturated fat every day, but not too much. An
> > > egg for sure, a bit of chicken fat in chicken soup etc. I think
> > > a little bit may be beneficial.

> > Having mentioned goose in that post, I kept thinking about it when
> > we ate turkey and on the drive home mentioned it to my grandson who
> > pressed me to cook one for them and me His wife and I have to
> > have a session pre-Xmas deciding how we want to do the big Xmas
> > Party here in the party room, so it is decided, a meeting and roast
> > goose - I know it's expensive now but-but-but lol
> >
> > Do you leave your duck uncovered in the fridge overnight? It really
> > makes the skin more tasty when cooked.

> I didn't know this about duck. It's too late though. It's going
> into the oven today for a noon lunch. We are celebrating
> Thanksgiving today, and not on the official day which is tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in Canada!

Here, I pulled what may be the last of the tomatoes this morning. I
have a last mildish bannana pepper finishing out with a suprising
flower that may yield another? My last lettuce bed is doing well but
it's too late to plant another now here. From Mid-Nov to about April,
I will be getting lettuce at the store.

I have fresh green onions and chives in abundance for use until mid-Nov
and then will be using dried ones with occasional fresh from the store.

Here, many of the crops are still coming in that our ancestors would
have stored for winter. The 'celebration' is after they get it all
stored (too busy for other just then) hence our ocation south of
Canada, has us do it the following month.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> > it's time to make more.

> IMO, turkey stock is the strongest and the best.
> I can get about 14 quarts of a strong, gelled
> turkey stock just from an 18-20lb turkey carcass.

Humm, I get about 6 quarts (4 quarts to a gallon). Thats 2 8-10 lb
carcasses.

This may well be a memory for us here. It makes little sense to make a
turkey now with just Don and me.

Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no group
to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> My last lettuce bed is doing well but
> it's too late to plant another now here. From Mid-Nov to about April,
> I will be getting lettuce at the store.

Carol, in case you never noticed, Harris Teeter sells
Iceberg Lettuce for 99 cents a head, all week, every week.
Not an occasional sale item. It's their regular price.

I've seen other stores selling it for up to $1.69 in the past.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 04:55:52 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 7:15:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:51:49 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>> > wrote:

>> >I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here. Anyway, roast duck with braised red cabbage, rosti potatoes and other stuff. Our rosti potatoes are different in that they are not browned much. They are good cooked in duck fat. They soak up some of the duck fat they are sauteed in. There is the odd occasion that I will not worry too much about saturated fats.
>> >I make sure to eat saturated fat every day, but not too much. An egg for sure, a bit of chicken fat in chicken soup etc. I think a little bit may be beneficial.

>> Having mentioned goose in that post, I kept thinking about it when we
>> ate turkey and on the drive home mentioned it to my grandson who
>> pressed me to cook one for them and me His wife and I have to have
>> a session pre-Xmas deciding how we want to do the big Xmas Party here
>> in the party room, so it is decided, a meeting and roast goose - I
>> know it's expensive now but-but-but lol
>>
>> Do you leave your duck uncovered in the fridge overnight? It really
>> makes the skin more tasty when cooked.

>I didn't know this about duck. It's too late though. It's going into the oven today for a noon lunch. We are celebrating Thanksgiving today, and not on the official day which is tomorrow.

It's Chinese trick, used for Pekin Duck etc. - works, also works for
pork crackling on a roast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> > it's time to make more.

> IMO, turkey stock is the strongest and the best.
> I can get about 14 quarts of a strong, gelled
> turkey stock just from an 18-20lb turkey carcass.

Humm, I get about 6 quarts (4 quarts to a gallon). Thats 2 8-10 lb
carcasses.

This may well be a memory for us here. It makes little sense to make a
turkey now with just Don and me.

Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no group
to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.

====

You must be very proud of her)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > My last lettuce bed is doing well but
> > it's too late to plant another now here. From Mid-Nov to about
> > April, I will be getting lettuce at the store.

> Carol, in case you never noticed, Harris Teeter sells
> Iceberg Lettuce for 99 cents a head, all week, every week.
> Not an occasional sale item. It's their regular price.
>
> I've seen other stores selling it for up to $1.69 in the past.

Grin, I seldom notice price since i grow it for free most of the year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Gary wrote:
>
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> >> We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> >> it's time to make more.

> > IMO, turkey stock is the strongest and the best.
> > I can get about 14 quarts of a strong, gelled
> > turkey stock just from an 18-20lb turkey carcass.

> Humm, I get about 6 quarts (4 quarts to a gallon). Thats 2 8-10 lb
> carcasses.
>
> This may well be a memory for us here. It makes little sense to make
> a turkey now with just Don and me.
>
> Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
> runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no
> group to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.
>
> ====
>
> You must be very proud of her)

I am.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2019 11:57 AM, cshenk wrote:

> Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
> runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no group
> to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.

Good for her. I bet she makes mom and dad proud. Of course all of us
should be glad to have people like her.