Posted to rec.food.cooking
A Moose In Love A Moose In Love is offline

Default Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians!

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:45:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 11:11:31 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >> In honor of your holiday, I'm roasting a turkey today.
> >>
> >> Nah. We've simply used up the stock left from our last turkey and
> >> it's time to make more.
> >>
> >> Yesterday I dry-brined the turkey.
> >>
> >> Stuffing is underway. The sausage is crumbled and cooked, the onions
> >> and celery are frying. Jars of sage and crushed hot pepper flakes
> >> sit on the counter awaiting my husband's master hand with the spicing.
> >>
> >> Once the turkey goes in the oven, I'll start mowing the lawn, which
> >> has gotten very shaggy in the last week of rain and mild temperatures.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> >Thanks Cindy. We have a parade here on Monday. We're not having turkey, but roast duck.

> Much prefer that, or goose, rather than turkey.

I haven't had goose for decades. They are very pricey here. Anyway, roast duck with braised red cabbage, rosti potatoes and other stuff. Our rosti potatoes are different in that they are not browned much. They are good cooked in duck fat. They soak up some of the duck fat they are sauteed in. There is the odd occasion that I will not worry too much about saturated fats.
I make sure to eat saturated fat every day, but not too much. An egg for sure, a bit of chicken fat in chicken soup etc. I think a little bit may be beneficial.