Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians!

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 16:51:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/13/2019 11:57 AM, cshenk wrote:
>

>> Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
>> runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no group
>> to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.
>>

>Good for her. I bet she makes mom and dad proud. Of course all of us
>should be glad to have people like her.

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 11:51:46 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> a 1/2 cup of ketchup on
>> *EVERYTHING* IS TIAD!!! With that much ketchup on meat loaf it may as
>> well be made of Ken-L-Ration. I shappen to like Heinz red but only in
>> some instances, perhaps a small schmear on a slice of meat loaf but
>> NOT half a cup. Perhaps Canucks have no concept of what's half a cup.

>Very tiad back to you, Sheldon. A meatloaf benefits from some
>ketchup covering the top *before it's cooked*.

That's because you use mystery meat, you need something to drown the
schtink. I may put a dab of ketchup on a cold meatloaf sandwich but
more often I'll use horseradish sauce. We use very little ketchup, a
medium size bottle can last us two years. The most ketchup I use is
on cold left over potato omlets. I don't ever remember my wife using
ketchup on anything, on a burger she'll use blue cheese dressing. We
consider ketchup a poor people's condiment, the packets they glom at
fast food joints.
If you're using ketchup to cook meat loaf then for certain you're
eating mystery meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 15:09:39 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Gary wrote:

>> > IMO, turkey stock is the strongest and the best.
>> > I can get about 14 quarts of a strong, gelled
>> > turkey stock just from an 18-20lb turkey carcass.

>> Humm, I get about 6 quarts (4 quarts to a gallon). Thats 2 8-10 lb
>> carcasses.
>>
>> This may well be a memory for us here. It makes little sense to make
>> a turkey now with just Don and me.
>>
>> Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
>> runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no
>> group to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> You must be very proud of her)

>I am.

Congratulations! Does she know her knots? I still have my
sailmaker's palm and needles, and use them often, especially proper
knot tying here for hauling logs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
> runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no group
> to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.

Well good for her. Hope she does well.
Just for your knowledge though. That's 11.3 miles per minute.
Not a fast pace at all but definitely acceptable.

I've run in many local races. A 7 minute per mile
pace (in a 5 mile race) will get you into the
top 10% of all runners.

Main thing is to be able to run the distance (whatever)
without having to stop and walk for awhile.

She just started a few months ago so she should be very
proud of what she can do now vs a few months ago.
I wish her luck in her new Navy career.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > cshenk wrote:
> > >
> > > My last lettuce bed is doing well but
> > > it's too late to plant another now here. From Mid-Nov to about
> > > April, I will be getting lettuce at the store.

> > Carol, in case you never noticed, Harris Teeter sells
> > Iceberg Lettuce for 99 cents a head, all week, every week.
> > Not an occasional sale item. It's their regular price.
> >
> > I've seen other stores selling it for up to $1.69 in the past.

> Grin, I seldom notice price since i grow it for free most of the year.

I was telling you that for the next 5 months when your lettuce
won't
grow here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now and
> > runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's had no group
> > to run with so my bet is with others, she will be faster.

> Well good for her. Hope she does well.
> Just for your knowledge though. That's 11.3 miles per minute.

LOL. Did I actually just write that?
Meant to say 11.3 minutes per mile.

Not even the Kenyans could run 11 miles per minute and they
win all the races.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >
> > cshenk wrote:
> > >
> > > Charlotte leaves for Navy bootcamp Tuesday. Yes, she swims now
> > > and runs a 1.5 mile at a 17 minutes seconds with ease. She's
> > > had no group to run with so my bet is with others, she will be
> > > faster.

> > Well good for her. Hope she does well.
> > Just for your knowledge though. That's 11.3 miles per minute.

> LOL. Did I actually just write that?
> Meant to say 11.3 minutes per mile.
>
> Not even the Kenyans could run 11 miles per minute and they
> win all the races.

Grin, it's ok. She needed the basics and got there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:

> > > Carol, in case you never noticed, Harris Teeter sells
> > > Iceberg Lettuce for 99 cents a head, all week, every week.
> > > Not an occasional sale item. It's their regular price.
> > >
> > > I've seen other stores selling it for up to $1.69 in the past.

> > Grin, I seldom notice price since i grow it for free most of the
> > year.

> I was telling you that for the next 5 months when your lettuce
> won't
> grow here.

Actually, years vary but I normally crop through at least part of Nov.
It starts to crop again by April (planted in March). It's just too
late to seed more (no point).

You are close though.