Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default notbob's minestrone

I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been
recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in
tomato juice" (it's

Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.

Diced, not crushed.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-10-2019, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:34:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.

Diced, not crushed.

Dei Fratelli Diced Tomatoes, Seasoned

"Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Peppers, Sugar, Onions, Celery, Garlic,
Calcium Chloride and Citric Acid."

They forgot the xanthan gum!
Old 11-10-2019, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 2:20:54 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'm guessing you're referring to their organic brand "Simple Human" and not
the actual Kroger brand.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.

Diced, not crushed.

Dei Fratelli Diced Tomatoes, Seasoned

"Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Peppers, Sugar, Onions, Celery, Garlic,
Calcium Chloride and Citric Acid."

They forgot the xanthan gum!

I don't buy the seasoned ones. So you can subtract the peppers, sugar,
onions, celery, and garlic.

It's worth noting that when I've home-canned tomatoes I added citric
acid for safety. Calcium chloride keeps the chunks a little more
cohesive.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2019 3:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

Ditto. I'd have to drive to Hilton Head Island to find a Kroger
supermarket.

I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.

Diced, not crushed.

Cindy Hamilton

I've tried the Muir Glen canned tomatoes, they're nice. I live only a
few miles away from actual tomato farms and a tomato processing plant.

I couldn't begin to tell you which brand names those trucked out
tomatoes wind up in as canned diced or crushed or whole peeled tomatoes.
Or as ketchup or tomato paste.

I like nb's minestrone recipe, don't get me wrong. But I don't give a
lot of thought to the canned tomatoes.

Jill
Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Oct 2019 19:20:47 GMT, notbob wrote:

I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been
recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in
tomato juice" (it's

Got to argue that, you didn't originally because if I'd seen 'organic'
I would not have tried your recipe Nearly time to make some more,
only a few pots left in the freezer.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.

Diced, not crushed.

Dei Fratelli Diced Tomatoes, Seasoned

"Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Peppers, Sugar, Onions, Celery, Garlic,
Calcium Chloride and Citric Acid."

They forgot the xanthan gum!

No worries, that calcium chloride is deadly and more than makes up
for the gum.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:57:54 +1100, Bruce
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:53:29 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
wrote:

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 5:45:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 18:26:55 -0300, wrote:

On 11 Oct 2019 19:20:47 GMT, notbob wrote:

I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been
recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in
tomato juice" (it's

Got to argue that, you didn't originally because if I'd seen 'organic'
I would not have tried your recipe

Is that because you're of the generation that doesn't trust "organic"
because it's a communist conspiracy?

I have to wonder just how organic is organic.

You'd think this is monitored by some government organisation,
otherwise anyone can claim to be organic. I believe that, in
Australia, you have to jump through 100 hoops before you can claim
"organic".

How does the 'organic' farmer know that no pesticides have blown over
from another field?? My experience with 'organic' products was
shopping for my neighbour a few years back after she was ill and I was
buying her groceries when I went for mine. Definitely poorer quality
but higher priced. I didn't bother arguing with her, she likes that
sort of thing, she loves natureopaths and their medications etc and
although she is ten years younger than I, her level of fitness is 15
years older!