Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bruce[_28_] Bruce[_28_] is offline

Default notbob's minestrone

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 20:05:04 -0300, wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:57:54 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:53:29 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:
>>
>>>I have to wonder just how organic is organic.

>>You'd think this is monitored by some government organisation,
>>otherwise anyone can claim to be organic. I believe that, in
>>Australia, you have to jump through 100 hoops before you can claim
>>"organic".

>How does the 'organic' farmer know that no pesticides have blown over
>from another field?? My experience with 'organic' products was
>shopping for my neighbour a few years back after she was ill and I was
>buying her groceries when I went for mine. Definitely poorer quality
>but higher priced. I didn't bother arguing with her, she likes that
>sort of thing, she loves natureopaths and their medications etc and
>although she is ten years younger than I, her level of fitness is 15
>years older!

I don't know if they look at neighbouring properties before the
"organic" label is allowed. I do know they go decades back in time, as
they should, to see what happened on the property in the past.

Anyway, some blown over pesticides are still in a different league
than a full pesticide and herbicide treatment of the crop.