Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default notbob's minestrone

I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been
recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in
tomato juice" (it's
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.

Diced, not crushed.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:34:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>> I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

>I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.
>
>I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
>If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.
>
>Diced, not crushed.

Dei Fratelli Diced Tomatoes, Seasoned

"Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Peppers, Sugar, Onions, Celery, Garlic,
Calcium Chloride and Citric Acid."

They forgot the xanthan gum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 2:20:54 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

> I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

I'm guessing you're referring to their organic brand "Simple Human" and not
the actual Kroger brand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:51:43 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:34:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> >> I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

> >I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.
> >
> >I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
> >If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.
> >
> >Diced, not crushed.

> Dei Fratelli Diced Tomatoes, Seasoned
>
> "Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Peppers, Sugar, Onions, Celery, Garlic,
> Calcium Chloride and Citric Acid."
>
> They forgot the xanthan gum!

I don't buy the seasoned ones. So you can subtract the peppers, sugar,
onions, celery, and garlic.

It's worth noting that when I've home-canned tomatoes I added citric
acid for safety. Calcium chloride keeps the chunks a little more
cohesive.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2019 3:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>> I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

> I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

Ditto. I'd have to drive to Hilton Head Island to find a Kroger
supermarket.

> I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
> If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.
>
> Diced, not crushed.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've tried the Muir Glen canned tomatoes, they're nice. I live only a
few miles away from actual tomato farms and a tomato processing plant.

I couldn't begin to tell you which brand names those trucked out
tomatoes wind up in as canned diced or crushed or whole peeled tomatoes.
Or as ketchup or tomato paste.

I like nb's minestrone recipe, don't get me wrong. But I don't give a
lot of thought to the canned tomatoes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Oct 2019 19:20:47 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been
>recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in
>tomato juice" (it's

Got to argue that, you didn't originally because if I'd seen 'organic'
I would not have tried your recipe Nearly time to make some more,
only a few pots left in the freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 12:34:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>>> I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

>> I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.
>>
>> I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
>> If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.
>>
>> Diced, not crushed.

> Dei Fratelli Diced Tomatoes, Seasoned
>
> "Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Peppers, Sugar, Onions, Celery, Garlic,
> Calcium Chloride and Citric Acid."
>
> They forgot the xanthan gum!

No worries, that calcium chloride is deadly and more than makes up
for the gum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:57:54 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 14:53:29 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>>> Is that because you're of the generation that doesn't trust "organic"
>>> because it's a communist conspiracy?

>>I have to wonder just how organic is organic.

>You'd think this is monitored by some government organisation,
>otherwise anyone can claim to be organic. I believe that, in
>Australia, you have to jump through 100 hoops before you can claim
>"organic".

How does the 'organic' farmer know that no pesticides have blown over
from another field?? My experience with 'organic' products was
shopping for my neighbour a few years back after she was ill and I was
buying her groceries when I went for mine. Definitely poorer quality
but higher priced. I didn't bother arguing with her, she likes that
sort of thing, she loves natureopaths and their medications etc and
although she is ten years younger than I, her level of fitness is 15
years older!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Anyway, some blown over pesticides are still in a different league
> than a full pesticide and herbicide treatment of the crop.

I agree. I was going to say that too.

Q: do you have a garden? Have you started it yet now that
it's spring in your area? What did or are you planting?

Note: you seemed interested in yellow squash (a summer
squash) back during your winter. Yoose should plant some.
Or did you ever try some from a store?

I grew tomatoes for several years while I could. All
natural with no problems from insects. Huge harvest each
year for one small family. In season, picked about 15 per
day, every day for about 5-7 weeks, then many green
ones at end of season. That was all from just 6 plants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Even if nb had gone to a farm stand or farmer's market and picked out
> tomatoes to chop up for the minestrone, there's no guarantee they are
> "organic". Stores usually do charge more for things that are labelled
> as such.

Farmers depend on a good crop to survive the year. Most farm
stands and farmer's markets sell products that have been treated
with something. They aren't going to risk their lives on organic
nonsense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:05:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, some blown over pesticides are still in a different league
>> than a full pesticide and herbicide treatment of the crop.

>I agree. I was going to say that too.
>
>Q: do you have a garden? Have you started it yet now that
>it's spring in your area? What did or are you planting?

My vegetable garden is overgrown with nutgrass. I lost that battle.
Now I only have a few chilli plants in pots.

>Note: you seemed interested in yellow squash (a summer
>squash) back during your winter. Yoose should plant some.
>Or did you ever try some from a store?

I've only tried the little ones. I forgot what they're called:

<https://harvesttotable.com/tender_summer_squash_fruit/>

>I grew tomatoes for several years while I could. All
>natural with no problems from insects. Huge harvest each
>year for one small family. In season, picked about 15 per
>day, every day for about 5-7 weeks, then many green
>ones at end of season. That was all from just 6 plants.

I think they're one of the greatest things to grow because the
quality's so much better than the plastic supermarket tomatoes. They
don't grow well here due to the heat and humidity. They get blackspot
and die off. Only cherry tomatoes grow faster than blackspot kills
them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 08:16:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Even if nb had gone to a farm stand or farmer's market and picked out
>> tomatoes to chop up for the minestrone, there's no guarantee they are
>> "organic". Stores usually do charge more for things that are labelled
>> as such.

>Farmers depend on a good crop to survive the year. Most farm
>stands and farmer's markets sell products that have been treated
>with something. They aren't going to risk their lives on organic
>nonsense.

There are organic farmers, you know. Amd why is that nonsense? Science
projects are nonsense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-10-11, jmcquown > wrote:
> On 10/11/2019 3:34 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 3:20:54 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

>>> I don't know what you folks put in yer minestrone, but I've been recommending 2 Kroger's Organic 15 oz cans of crushed tomatoes "in tomato juice" (it's

>> I'd have to make a special trip to Kroger.

> Ditto. I'd have to drive to Hilton Head Island to find a Kroger
> supermarket.
>
>> I generally use Dei Fratelli, which is a southeastern/midwestern brand.
>> If they're on sale, I use Muir Glen fire-roasted.

Sorry. I hadda quickly bail on my post. I'm surprised I got as many

Regardless, I was merely trying to warn folks about the difference
about how Kroger's Organic "14.7" (oftern labled as "15.0 oz") cans of
"Sliced tomatoes in tomato juice" is NOT the same as as a "28 oz can
of crushed tomatoes in juice" is not the same. The 28 oz can is
basically tomato "suace". IOW, terrible.

Use whatever tomatoes (canned, organic, fresh, etc) you want. I
usually buy "14.7 Kroger's Organic, in juice" fer a $1USD per can.
Kroger's also sells 14.7 oz cans of "Kroger's Organic in Tomato Sauce"
for the same price. (Do NOT buy). IOW, KNOW what is in the can. I
screwed up! Jes trying to warn folks.

> But I don't give a lot of thought to the canned tomatoes.

You should! Is the juice it's in jes juice or a sauce? Depends on
what you like. BTW, I don't think Muir Glen's San Marzano tomatoes
are actually grown in Italy (I man be wrong).

nb