Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default notbob Monster Minestrone

I finally did it. I put my minestrone recipe in the rec food cooking
signature files. Whew! I'll do my quiche later this week. You knew
you wanted it!

Now, if only CC is AW (a-wake!). Anyone heard from her, lately? How
is she doing? Been so long, I forgot her name and was wondering
.....sunshine susie? ....asymetrical annie?.... I emailed her.

Wait!! I guess I could put it here, for now. Jinkies! I think I
will:

------------

notbob's Monster Minestrone

5-6 med carrots
2 med yel onion (or 1 lrg wht)
5-6 clv garlic
2 ozs olive oil
1 can diced tomato
5-6 C beef stock
2/3 C red wine
6-8 ozs proscuitto
1 can cannelloni or white beans (w/ juice)
3 zuchs (qrtr lngthwz, then chop bitesize)
2 bay leaves
2 t thyme
fresh basil (opt)
1 handfull small elbo macaroni
S&P (opt)

Peel and chop carrots to no larger than spoon size. Diagonal cut
looks nice. Course chop onions. Dice garlic. In OO, saute carrots,
onions, garlic till onions trans.

Add stock, can of tomatoes, wine, proscuitto, thyme and bayleaf. Mash
half the can of beans. Do not drain liquid. That's perfectly good
bean juice!

Let simmer 15 mins or until carrots are about half done. Add zuchs.
When zuchs almost done (15-30 mins), add macaroni or other pasta you
may prefer. When pasta tender, it should be done.

NOTES: Naturally, you can use any beef stock combo you prefer, but it
must be beef. Chicken stock sucks. Veggie if you prefer, but then
it's not notbob's minestrone, is it!? I use one can of stock plus 4 C
water and T of Better'n Bullion. Note, it must be carrot heavy. More
carrots can't hurt. Only one taboo. NO celery!! Also, I discovered
years ago that it should have some proscuitto. Even cheapo US brand.
Learned that little trick at an very old Italian deli. Makes all the
difference. Fresh basil is always better, but I can't always get it
in Winter. Not using it will not hurt this zuppa. No parsley, sage,
rosemary, Ital seasoning, etc. This is not a Simon and Garfunkle
song! A good red wine like chianti or zin, preferably, but any good
red will do. If whole thyme, rub between hands into pot. Doneness is
always determined by the tenderness of the carrots and zukes. Skim
while sim.

Makes about 3 to 3-1/2 qts.

Top with parmesan cheese and serve with red wine and buttered SF
sourdough bread. Donate all remaining cans of Progresso Minestrone to
those less fortunate! Enjoy. =D

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> NOTES: Naturally, you can use any beef stock combo you prefer, but it
> must be beef. Chicken stock sucks. Veggie if you prefer, but then

.. . . Julie will pop up asking why it didn't
turn out well.