Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default minestrone a la notbob

Just finished a delicious plate of not bobs soup, haven't seen any
posts from him in quite awhile, hope he's okay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Just finished a delicious plate of not bobs soup, haven't seen any
> posts from him in quite awhile, hope he's okay.

He was probably just mad at you for eating his soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 13:16:55 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 28 Apr 2018 04:52:53a, told us...

>> Well that's good news, can't believe you're putting anything in
>> the soup that could be harmful. I visit a old lady of 97 and
>> usually take her soup so she has her lunch for the next day.
>> Yours is top of the list in her likes over chicken and beef soups.
>>

>nb, would you mind reposting your soup rccipe? I thought I had it,
>but I can't find it now. Thanks!

Here it is - as notbob gave it to me

Not Bob Minestrone

On 2015-07-14,
> wrote:

> Now there's an idea - post your minestrone recipe and I will make a
> batch of that, nice for summer. Please/thanks

Can do!

Note that minestrone means "spring vegetables" or some such nonsense.
So, this means you can sub in any veggie you like. I sometimes add
cabbage, but always gotta have carrots n' onions. Seems I left
something outta the recipe, but can't recall what it is, now.

*************

notbob's Monster Minestrone

5-6 med carrots
2 med yel onion (or 1 lrg wht)
5-6 clv garlic
2 ozs olive oil
1 can diced tomato
5-6 C beef stock
2/3 C red wine
6-8 ozs proscuitto
1 can cannelloni or white beans (w/ juice)
3 zuchs (qrtr lngthwz, then chop bitesize)
2 bay leaves
1 T thyme
fresh basil (opt)
1 handfull small elbo macaroni
S&P (opt)

Peel and chop carrots to no larger than spoon size. Diagonal cut
looks nice. Course chop onions. Dice garlic. In OO, saute carrots,
onions, garlic till onions translucent.

Add stock, can of tomatoes, wine, proscuitto, thyme and bayleaf. Mash
half the can of beans. Do not drain liquid. That's perfectly good
bean juice!

Let simmer 15 mins or until carrots are about half done. Add zuchs.
When zuchs almost done (15-30 mins), add macaroni or other pasta you
may prefer. When pasta tender, it should be done.

NOTES: Naturally, you can use any beef stock combo you prefer, but it
must be beef. Chicken stock sucks. Veggie if you prefer, but then
it's not notbob's minestrone, is it!? I use one can of stock plus 4 C
water and T of Better'n Bullion. Note, it must be carrot heavy. More
carrots can't hurt. Only one taboo. NO celery!! Also, I discovered
years ago that it should have some proscuitto. Even cheapo US brand.
Learned that little trick at an very old Italian deli. I've since
discovered hard Italian salami will sub for the proscuitto. Makes all
the difference. Fresh basil is always better, but I can't always get
it in Winter. Not using it will not hurt this zuppa. No parsley,
sage, rosemary, Ital seasoning, etc. This is not a Simon and
Garfunkle song! A good red wine like chianti or zin, preferably, but
any good red will do. If whole thyme, rub between hands into pot.
Doneness is always determined by the tenderness of the carrots and
zukes. Skim while sim. Add water as needed.

Makes about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 qts.

Top with parmesan cheese and serve with red wine and buttered SF
sourdough bread. Donate all remaining cans of Progresso Minestrone to
those less fortunate!

*************

Enjoy. =D
nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-28, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> nb, would you mind reposting your soup rccipe? I thought I had it,
> but I can't find it now. Thanks!

Gladly!

*********************

notbob's Monster Minestrone

5-6 med carrots
2 med yel onion (or 1 lrg wht)
5-6 clv garlic
2 ozs olive oil
1 can diced tomato (in "juice", not "sauce")
5-6 C beef stock
2/3 C red wine
6-8 ozs proscuitto
1 can cannelloni or white beans (w/ juice)
3 zuchs (qrtr lngthwz, then chop bitesize)
1 handfull of cut fresh green beans
2 bay leaves
2 t thyme
fresh basil (opt)
1 handfull small elbo macaroni
S&P (opt)

Peel and chop carrots to no larger than spoon size. Diagonal cut
looks nice. Course chop onions. Dice garlic. In OO, saute carrots,
onions, strung bean, garlic till onions translucent.

Add stock, can of tomatoes, wine, proscuitto, thyme and bayleaf. Mash
half the can of beans (opt). Do not drain liquid. That's perfectly good
bean juice!

Let simmer 15 mins or until carrots are about half done. Add zuchs.
When zuchs almost done (15-30 mins), add macaroni or other pasta you
may prefer. When pasta is tender, it should be done.

[...]

Makes about 3 to 3-1/2 qts.

Top with parmesan cheese and serve with red wine and buttered SF
sourdough bread. Donate all remaining cans of Progresso Minestrone to
those less fortunate! Enjoy. =D

********************

Wayne, this is an old copy of my recipe. Add whatever you want. Jes
remember the "no celery" rule and some red wine. I make mine heavy on
the carrots simply cuz I once tasted a minestrone at a resto that was
primarily carrots and little else, but was still excellent.

BTW, the doc was so ready to get me over to the hospital and have an
EMG done, I hadda re-phone his nurse to ask if I actually had T2
diabetes. She acted surprised and said, "Your blood sugar readings
look fine."

That's it!? Five vials of blood and "Your blood sugar readings look fine"??
Of course they look fine! I quit drinking and have been on a strict T2
diet fer 5 wks! BTW, that's how I lost 20 lbs. Anywho, the doc's
nurse also sed I should take 1mg of folate and 1000mg of vitamin B12,
daily, then tell them how I feel in 6 wks.

I don't know what he's up to, but I think I'm his lab rat. I don't
trust 'supplements'. They smack of "nutritionism", a bogus concept if
ever there was one!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Apr 2018 19:07:17 GMT, notbob > wrote:
snip

>That's it!? Five vials of blood and "Your blood sugar readings look fine"??
>Of course they look fine! I quit drinking and have been on a strict T2
>diet fer 5 wks! BTW, that's how I lost 20 lbs. Anywho, the doc's
>nurse also sed I should take 1mg of folate and 1000mg of vitamin B12,
>daily, then tell them how I feel in 6 wks.
>
>I don't know what he's up to, but I think I'm his lab rat. I don't
>trust 'supplements'. They smack of "nutritionism", a bogus concept if
>ever there was one!
>
>nb

I get my B-12 via a shot that I give to myself once per month. The
B-12 made a big difference in my life. A doctor had a surgery room
all booked for me to install a stent because he 'knew' I had cancer.
My doctor came in about then and said I had pernicious anemia. I'm
not saying that is what you have, just saying take the supplement.
These vitamins really do have a purpose in our body. Without the B-12
I would die.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 16:28:20 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> [...]

>> always better, but I can't always get it in Winter. Not using it
>> will not hurt this zuppa. No parsley, sage, rosemary, Ital
>> seasoning, etc. This is not a Simon and Garfunkle song! A good
>> red wine like chianti or zin, preferably, but any good red will
>> do. If whole thyme, rub between hands into pot. Doneness is
>> always determined by the tenderness of the carrots and zukes.
>> Skim while sim. Add water as needed.
>>
>> Makes about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 qts.
>>
>> Top with parmesan cheese and serve with red wine and buttered SF
>> sourdough bread. Donate all remaining cans of Progresso
>> Minestrone to those less fortunate!
>>
>> *************
>>
>> Enjoy. =D
>> nb
>>

>Lucretia, a big thanks to both you and nb for his recipe. It looks
>delicious and filled with all good things!

It's very flexible, I add and subtract, use bacon instead of
proscuitto etc. Excellent recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-28, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> I get my B-12 via a shot that I give to myself once per month. The
> B-12 made a big difference in my life. A doctor had a surgery room
> all booked for me to install a stent because he 'knew' I had cancer.
> My doctor came in about then and said I had pernicious anemia. I'm
> not saying that is what you have, just saying take the supplement.
> These vitamins really do have a purpose in our body. Without the B-12
> I would die.

Oh, I'll do it, alright. The nurse DID relate that my blood-work
showed a folate and B12 deficiency. That's what scares me. Why did
my doc recommend these supplements even before my bloodwork results
were known? 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-28, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> That's really good news about not having T2 diabetes, nb! However,
> peripheral neuropathy can be difficult to treat depending on the
> exact cause, and the type of treatment can vary considerably also
> depending on the cause.

I know. I looked it up. I may have been better off with jes T2.

Apparently, this doc thinks PN can be cured with a couple
'supplements'. I think the EMG (the hospital is literally next door)
test was jes ordered fer Medicare jingles. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2018-04-28, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> I get my B-12 via a shot that I give to myself once per month. The
>> B-12 made a big difference in my life. A doctor had a surgery room
>> all booked for me to install a stent because he 'knew' I had cancer.
>> My doctor came in about then and said I had pernicious anemia. I'm
>> not saying that is what you have, just saying take the supplement.
>> These vitamins really do have a purpose in our body. Without the B-12
>> I would die.

> Oh, I'll do it, alright. The nurse DID relate that my blood-work
> showed a folate and B12 deficiency. That's what scares me. Why did
> my doc recommend these supplements even before my bloodwork results
> were known? 8|
>
> nb

Are you taking methotrexate? It depletes foliates, and you must take
folic acid to counter this effect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Apr 2018 19:52:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2018-04-28, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> I get my B-12 via a shot that I give to myself once per month. The
>> B-12 made a big difference in my life. A doctor had a surgery room
>> all booked for me to install a stent because he 'knew' I had cancer.
>> My doctor came in about then and said I had pernicious anemia. I'm
>> not saying that is what you have, just saying take the supplement.
>> These vitamins really do have a purpose in our body. Without the B-12
>> I would die.

>Oh, I'll do it, alright. The nurse DID relate that my blood-work
>showed a folate and B12 deficiency. That's what scares me. Why did
>my doc recommend these supplements even before my bloodwork results
>were known? 8|
>
>nb

when we get older, the lining of the stomach doesn't absorb all of
what it needs from our food. The doctor probably figured that it was
a sure bet that you were low in those vitamins just because it is so
common among older people. I lost my ability to absorb B-12 when I
was 49.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>notbob wrote:
>>Janet B wrote:
>>
>>> I get my B-12 via a shot that I give to myself once per month. The
>>> B-12 made a big difference in my life. A doctor had a surgery room
>>> all booked for me to install a stent because he 'knew' I had cancer.
>>> My doctor came in about then and said I had pernicious anemia. I'm
>>> not saying that is what you have, just saying take the supplement.
>>> These vitamins really do have a purpose in our body. Without the B-12
>>> I would die.

>>Oh, I'll do it, alright. The nurse DID relate that my blood-work
>>showed a folate and B12 deficiency. That's what scares me. Why did
>>my doc recommend these supplements even before my bloodwork results
>>were known? 8|
>>nb

>when we get older, the lining of the stomach doesn't absorb all of
>what it needs from our food. The doctor probably figured that it was
>a sure bet that you were low in those vitamins just because it is so
>common among older people. I lost my ability to absorb B-12 when I
>was 49.

Um, the stomach does not absorb nutrients, the stomach digests and
absorbtion takes place in the intestines... 5th grade Health.... you
were too absorbed with Reproduction! lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2018-04-28, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> That's really good news about not having T2 diabetes, nb! However,
>> peripheral neuropathy can be difficult to treat depending on the
>> exact cause, and the type of treatment can vary considerably also
>> depending on the cause.

> I know. I looked it up. I may have been better off with jes T2.
>
> Apparently, this doc thinks PN can be cured with a couple
> 'supplements'. I think the EMG (the hospital is literally next door)
> test was jes ordered fer Medicare jingles. 8|
>
> nb

Dammit! Where the hell is that nutty registered nurse John Kunthe when
we need him?

Oh well, He's probably off seducing young co-eds in his restored 19th
century Missouri flophouse.

Maybe some of the old sailors here will offer lifesaving help?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 18:07:11 -0400, wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>notbob wrote:

>>>Oh, I'll do it, alright. The nurse DID relate that my blood-work
>>>showed a folate and B12 deficiency. That's what scares me. Why did
>>>my doc recommend these supplements even before my bloodwork results
>>>were known? 8|
>>>nb

>>when we get older, the lining of the stomach doesn't absorb all of
>>what it needs from our food. The doctor probably figured that it was
>>a sure bet that you were low in those vitamins just because it is so
>>common among older people. I lost my ability to absorb B-12 when I
>>was 49.

>Um, the stomach does not absorb nutrients, the stomach digests and
>absorbtion takes place in the intestines... 5th grade Health.... you
>were too absorbed with Reproduction! lol

o.k. Intrinsic factor is no longer produced in the stomach lining and
cannot therefore bind to B-12 in foods to be absorbed in the
intestine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> U.S. Janet B. wrote:

n before my bloodwork results

>>> when we get older, the lining of the stomach doesn't absorb all of
>>> what it needs from our food. The doctor probably figured that it was
>>> a sure bet that you were low in those vitamins just because it is so
>>> common among older people. I lost my ability to absorb B-12 when I
>>> was 49.

>> Um, the stomach does not absorb nutrients, the stomach digests and
>> absorbtion takes place in the intestines... 5th grade Health.... you
>> were too absorbed with Reproduction! lol

> Don't judge others by yourself dirty mind.

Don't let him fool you. He absorbs only through his cranium. All his
life he has fed himself by sticking his head up another person's butt
and waiting for the absorption of his food to occur.

When he was an infant, his mammy didn't give him a tit or bottle ... she
just stuck his head up her bum for 20 minutes. Pulled it out only if she
had to fart (she didn't want to blow out his fragile 30 cell brain).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-07, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet and hands. I have moderate
> numbness in both, but I've never experienced any type of pain related
> to it.

Sound like what I have.

Anyway, better "supplements" than an actual prescription fer meds.
The doc recommended 1mg of folate (folic acid) and 1000mg of B12. I'm
taking it and it appears to be working. The numbness in my feet
appears to be diminishing (doc sed to report back after 3 mos). I now
worry about the consistency of the supplements. Am I really getting
200mcg (that's 'micro' grams) per tablet?

OTOH, the clinic my doc works out of sez I definitely DO NOT have T2
diabetes. ???? I'm still on a diabetes-like diet. No sugars, no
processed foods, NO carbs! It's almost an Atkins Diet. But, that's
only cuz most processed food puts SOOOO much sugar in their carbs
(plus, carbs break down into glucose, another form of sugar).

nb