Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Minestrone to die for

I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).

I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
out what.

Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:57:02 -0800, isw > wrote:

>I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
>on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
>I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
>have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
>have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
>the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
>all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
>potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
>out what.
>
>Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?

I have no idea what you're going for. Use pasta, not potatoes and let
the beans mostly disintegrate. Oh, bean soup benefits from liberal
salt. Other than that, a great minestrone is beans and vegetables in
broth.... if you use pinto beans, you won't even need a meat stock.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
> I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
> out what.
>
> Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?
>
> Isaac

Start with a sofritto of finely chopped celery, onion and carrot fried in
olive oil. Then add water and some salt and a wide variety of vegetables
cut into smallish pieces. Some of them must be beans, usually borlotti but
not always. Everything else is negotiable... herbs, garlic, tomatoes added
later...
If you do decide to add pasta, don't add it to the portion not eaten because
it will swell up and turn to glue in the fridge.

Minestrone is generally considered a late summer seasonal dish, but now that
they freeze the vegetables already for the pot, it's a lot more common in
winter when it seems nicer to eat it.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 3:57*pm, isw > wrote:
> I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
> I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
> out what.
>
> Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?
>
> Isaac

try adding parmigaino rind to the soup base, it works a treat
zac!!...Franco
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
> I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
> I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
> out what.
>
> Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?

Maybe pasta? Change that to definitely pasta. And add red pepper flake, it
adds a huge amount of flavor. Or use real hot Italian sausage - the kind
you get at a deli. The spiciness is key. And you want the richest stock
you can make to get started. I have had great success using the Better
Than Bouillon bases. I have a jar of all of their offerings and they add a
huge amount of flavor to anything. They are not bouillon, they are real
bases. In a minestrone I'd use chicken and a touch of clam or lobster base.
A little fish stock may be the secret you are looking for.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:

> Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?

Just some hints: as Franco wrote, put some parmigiano rind in the broth.
Also, if you happen to have a cured/seasoned ham, its end part is wonderful
for minestrone. Some love pumpkin in theyr minestrone, and others crave for
herbs added about at the end of the cooking, as basil and parsley.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw > wrote:
> I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian
> "trattoria" on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more
> detail).
>
> I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have
> tried have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody
> to get the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've
> tried are all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe
> pasta, maybe potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something,
> but I can't figure out what.

Proper roasted marrowbone stock, got to be tiny soup pasta, cook with
herbs then add extra fresh just before serving, don't be frightened of the
salt and pepper.

You can't go wrong

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:
> I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
> I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
> out what.

I'd guess that the ingredient that made the minestrone at the trattoria
such a winner was an excellent from-scratch soup stock. I didn't taste
it so it could have been chicken or beef, but the restaurant probably
made it the old fashioned way with long slow simmering of roasted bones.
All the other ingredients are pretty much the same and evident. I
mean, there's nothing hidden. You can see vegetables, beans, pasta.
Maybe they used a special herb, but minestone usually isn't heavy on
herbs. The flavor wowser tends to be the stock.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 8:57 pm, isw > wrote:
> I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
> I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
> out what.
>
> Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?
>
> Isaac

Here's one that my wife makes for me and I use as the watershed mark.

MINESTRONE SOUP

1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press
6 cups kale (wash it really well and chop it up)
1 (14-16 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables (we use zucchini,
cauliflower, and broccoli mix)
1 can "petite" diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
1 cup small elbow macaroni
5 1/4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Optional: Grated Parmesan

Heat oil in a stock pot (5 to 6 quarts) over medium-high heat then
sauté onion and garlic. Be sure to stir so that neither burn. Add all
of the kale and sauté. Stir so it doesn't burn, too. Add whole bag of
frozen vegetables, tomatoes with juice, pasta, broth, water, salt, and
pepper. Simmer until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente.

In a shallow bowl coarsely mash half beans with a fork then stir
mashed and whole beans into soup and simmer. Stir until soup is
thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
isw > wrote:
>I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
>on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
>I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
>have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
>have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
>the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
>all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
>potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
>out what.
>
>Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?

I agree with the others who say that your deli might be making its own
stock. The minestrone I have made from homemade chicken stock is indeed
the food of the gods.

They might also be using A-plus, finest kind canned tomatoes.

I eat a lot of minestrone. I tend to improvise with what I have on hand,
but I always do the following:

"mirepoix" of leek, celery, carrot sauteed
whatever else needs sauteeing (chard ribs) gets done at this point
add the salt and spices
add the cooked beans (cannellini or fresh cranberry, in season)
add the tomatoes
add (this is one of my tips) chopped fresh basil

here's a tip from Cook's Illustrated - simmer this with only barely enough
stock to cover so the tomatoes and the beans get better acquainted. Top
up with the broth later.

I don't usually put pasta in, but I do put green or wax beans. I usually
dump them in at the end, cover the pot, and put it off-heat.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
wrote:

> On Feb 7, 3:57*pm, isw > wrote:
> > I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> > on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
> >
> > I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> > have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> > have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> > the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> > all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> > potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
> > out what.
> >
> > Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?
> >
> > Isaac

> try adding parmigaino rind to the soup base, it works a treat
> zac!!...Franco

Thanks for all the suggestions. For reference, here's the recipe I used
last night -- and although it looks an awful lot like any one of those
suggestions, it didn't even come close. I tried it specifically because
it called for Parmesan rinds (which I'd never seen mentioned before)
hoping that was the "secret".

Next time, I'll try to make a killer stock.

Minestrone

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 slices pancetta, diced
1 large leek, white and light green parts only, split, cleaned well,
thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 15 oz. can white beans, drained
1 Parmesan cheese rind, about 5 x 2 inches
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 1/4 cups cubed zucchini
2 medium new potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (1 1/4 cups cubed)
1 tsp. salt
2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, washed, dried, coarsely chopped

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the
bacon and fry until nearly rendered. Add the leek, carrot, celery and
onion; sauté until soft.

Add the chicken broth, water, tomatoes, beans, cheese rind, basil, and
crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low
and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add the potatoes and salt. Return to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. If
your soup gets too thick before serving, you may need to add a bit more
water or chicken broth.

Add the spinach and zucchini and cook for 45 minutes.

Remove the cheese rind with a slotted spoon, and serve.

--

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 11:54*pm, isw > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> wrote:
> > On Feb 7, 3:57*pm, isw > wrote:
> > > I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> > > on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).

> > > I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> > > have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> > > have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> > > the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> > > all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> > > potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but Ican't figure
> > > out what.

> > > Anybody got a killerminestronerecipe they're willing to share?

> > > Isaac

> > try adding parmigaino rind to thesoupbase, it works a treat
> > zac!!...Franco

> Thanks for all the suggestions. For reference, here's the recipe I used
> last night -- and although it looks an awful lot like any one of those
> suggestions, it didn't even come close. I tried it specifically because
> it called for Parmesan rinds (which I'd never seen mentioned before)
> hoping that was the "secret".
>
> Next time, I'll try to make a killer stock.
>
> Minestrone
>
> 1Tbsp. olive oil
> 2 slices pancetta, diced1large leek, white and light green parts only, split, cleaned well,
> thinly sliced11/2 cups chopped yellow onion
> 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
> 2 cups water128 oz.canwhole tomatoes, undrained, chopped
> 3/4 cup chopped carrots
> 3/4 cup chopped celery115 oz.canwhite beans, drained1Parmesan cheese rind, about 5 x 2 inches1tsp. dried basil leaves1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper11/4 cups cubed zucchini
> 2 medium new potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (11/4 cups cubed)1tsp. salt
> 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, washed, dried, coarsely chopped
>
> In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add thebaconand fry until nearly rendered. Add the leek, carrot, celery and
> onion; sauté until soft.
>
> Add the chicken broth, water, tomatoes, beans, cheese rind, basil, and
> crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low
> and simmer for 30 minutes.
>
> Add the potatoes and salt. Return to a simmer and cook for1hour. If
> yoursoupgets too thick before serving, you may need to add a bit more
> water or chicken broth.
>
> Add the spinach and zucchini and cook for 45 minutes.
>
> Remove the cheese rind with a slotted spoon, and serve.
>
> --
>
> Isaac- Hide quoted text -

Here is a simple, but delicious soup. My family loves
it. -

Pasta E Fagioli Marinara (Soup)

Serving Size: 8
Categories: Beans, Pasta, Sausage, Marinara, Soup

-= Ingredients =-
2 tablespoon Olive oil
1/2 cup Onion ; minced
1/2 cup Carrots ; minced
1/4 cup Celery ; minced
1 tablespoon Garlic ; minced
1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
8 cups Chicken or vegetable broth
1 jar Spaghetti sauce (16 oz)
1 can (12 oz) Cannellini beans ; drained and rinsed
1 can (12 oz) Kidney beans ; drained & rinsed
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 pound Ditalini pasta ; cooked according to pkg directions
1/2 pound Turkey sausage/ Italian sausage/and or Turkey pepp

-= Instructions =-
1. Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook for 4 minutes.
Add garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook for 15 seconds.
Add broth and marinara sauce; bring to a boil.
Add Italian or Turkey sausage/turkey pepperoni or any other type if
desired.
Reduce heat, and simmer for 10. minutes.

2. Add the cannellini/kidney beans and simmer 5 minutes more.
Stir in pasta, pepper and salt.

You can top with Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-02-08, isw > wrote:

> 2 slices pancetta, diced

Bingo!

A lot of ppl don't realize it, but a little meat really makes it for
minestrone. I won't bother if I don't have a bit of pancetta or prosciutto
to add. Not a lot, just enough to for another dimension of flavor. BTW, I
only use beef stock for mine min. Also, there's no such thing as too many
carrrots.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
> I've had a couple, one in particular was at a little Italian "trattoria"
> on the north side of Chicago (years ago; I have no more detail).
>
> I've been trying to find a recipe that is anywhere near that good, but
> have not had a lot of success (well, none). The minestrones I have tried
> have all been pretty good, but not anything I'd whack somebody to get
> the last dipper of (like that one in Chicago). The ones I've tried are
> all pretty similar -- some veggies, some herbs, maybe pasta, maybe
> potatoes -- so I suppose I must be missing something, but I can't figure
> out what.
>
> Anybody got a killer minestrone recipe they're willing to share?
>
> Isaac

I will do some digging for my Aunt Mary's minestrone recipe, but I do know
one thing, no one ever got the last dipper. She made a large pot of it most
Sundays. A small bowl was part of the Sunday dinner and Sunday supper was
just the soup and bread. There was always some left (anywhere from a pint
to a quart, sometimes more) that was put in the freezer. It was taken out
and was starter for the next batch. She said it gave the soup character!!
Who knows, but it sure was good. She has been gone for over 10 years and I
still miss her meals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I will do some digging for my Aunt Mary's minestrone recipe ... *It was taken out
> and was starter for the next batch. *She said it gave the soup character!!
> Who knows, but it sure was good. She has been gone for over 10 years and I
> still miss her meals.

I'd LOVE to have thaqt recipe!

~Eri in TX