Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner!

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 19:29:50 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 1:55:12 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> > We were in Macy's the other day and I found a pressure cooker that
>> > would work on an induction stove for 32 bucks. It was a nice looking
>> > pot that uses a spring pressure regulator. I'd rather have a gravity
>> > regulator but for $32, I can't complain. I made pot roast. It was
>> > okay. What do I do now? Beats me.
>> >

>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5JM0maPuNGFOU3
>>
>> Looks good but dunno next step. Pressure cookers seem all about how
>> 'fast they cook once up to pressure' but my few forays into them the
>> total time was almost the same as stove top.
>>
>> Somehow, they never seemed like a 'fun' device to me.

>They were more fun when I was younger. Not so much now. I'm guessing because I'm not that much into meat these days.

Maybe you can speed up bean cooking with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> > Good news, but I didn't know he has had heart surgery??

> Yes, but it wasn't open heart surgery levels. He was at the emergency
> room a month ago and they had a stress test later and this was a
> follow-up where they insert a camera and look inside the heart at the
> arteries and veins.
>
> ===
>
> And all is well??? That is good news

Yes. They had the extra tests because it seemed a month ago, he might
have been having a heart attack. Scarey as #%^ to us all here.

Yes, that is hellish(

The surgeon said he's got one of the cleanest hearts she's seen in a
long time for a man of his age (still a bit shy of 70). More like a
man 1/2 his age. Looks like we can relax on the statin cholestrol meds
they have been trying to get him to take recently that do not make him
feel well.

D. was having pain problems late last year. Doc but him on bet
blockers and statins.

The beta blockers are working very well and the pains are gone. The
statins? Not so well. He got horrific legs pains.

A friend of mine has the same problem and her doc is stopping the
statins. So maybe something to watch out for.

Anyway, I am very pleased all is going well, I wish you all the luck in
the world that it continues

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 1:55:12 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 6:24:21 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > My gardener said he wanted Spanish rice, lentils and a
> > > Mediterranean type salad.
> > >
> > > The rice is brown. The salad is Romaine with baby bell peppers,
> > > tomatoes,Kalamatta olives, feta cheese and pecans. His has
> > > craisins. I have no cucumber or that would be in there too. My
> > > blood sugar doesn't like lentils so I'm having kidney beans instead.

> > We were in Macy's the other day and I found a pressure cooker that
> > would work on an induction stove for 32 bucks. It was a nice looking
> > pot that uses a spring pressure regulator. I'd rather have a gravity
> > regulator but for $32, I can't complain. I made pot roast. It was
> > okay. What do I do now? Beats me.
> >

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5JM0maPuNGFOU3
>
> Looks good but dunno next step. Pressure cookers seem all about how
> 'fast they cook once up to pressure' but my few forays into them the
> total time was almost the same as stove top.
>
> Somehow, they never seemed like a 'fun' device to me.

They were more fun when I was younger. Not so much now. I'm guessing because
I'm not that much into meat these days.

====

I know exactly what you mean!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> (snippage)
>
> There was a time when I looked at other people's shopping carts. These
> days I don't care. I don't care if they look at what I buy, either.

I always look at people's shopping carts. I am always sad when I see an
elderly person with nothing but small, cheap, frozen meals or person with
small children buying cheap cereal and fruit flavored drinks.

Once at Winco, there was a mom with two teenage girls. She had three carts
heaped full. I didn't see much in the way of junk food. No soda. A lot of
bulk packs of chicken parts, fresh and frozen vegetables, dairy and eggs,
lots of bread, some cleaning supplies and personal care items.

The girls were fighting over the correct way to bag groceries so they were
calling attention to themselves. I was next in line. The bill came to over
$500. The cashier asked if this food was some for some event. The mom said
no. Just for them. I asked her how many there were. She said just the three
of them and that was their normal weekly shopping. I was shocked!

When Angela I lived alone, our weekly shopping there amounted to maybe $80 a
week. Granted, this was a few years ago. Neither of us were big meat eaters
and we didn't buy much of our personal products there.

I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other daughter
was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I just couldn't imagine
them eating that much chicken!

====

There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food bought,
ends up in landfill!!!

What a waste

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 12:24:44 PM UTC-10,
wrote:
> On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 3:12:04 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > We were in Macy's the other day and I found a pressure cooker that would
> > work on an induction stove for 32 bucks. It was a nice looking pot that
> > uses a spring pressure regulator. I'd rather have a gravity regulator
> > but for $32, I can't complain. I made pot roast. It was okay. What do I
> > do now? Beats me.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5JM0maPuNGFOU3
> >

> You can do frozen chicken wings or legs in 6 minutes after it comes to
> pressure.
> Then you can take them out and finish them in the oven or toaster oven.

That would be a plan however the air fryer works great for chicken wings.
I'll make some kalua pig in the pressure cooker. For the air fryer, I plan
to wrap a stuffed Anaheim pepper in pie dough and air fry it. That should be
tasty.

=====

Ahaaaaaaaa! You are now hooked on the Air Fryer)) What you are
saying about your pressure cooker, you were saying about your Air Fryer))

Let us hope you get to enjoy your new piece of kit as much))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2019 5:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove"Â* wrote in message ...
>

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> (snippage)
>>
>> There was a time when I looked at other people's shopping carts.
>> These days I don't care.Â* I don't care if they look at what I buy,
>> either.

> I always look at people's shopping carts. I am always sad when I see an
> elderly person with nothing but small, cheap, frozen meals or person with
> small children buying cheap cereal and fruit flavored drinks.
>
> Once at Winco, there was a mom with two teenage girls. She had three carts
> heaped full. I didn't see much in the way of junk food. No soda. A lot of
> bulk packs of chicken parts, fresh and frozen vegetables, dairy and eggs,
> lots of bread, some cleaning supplies and personal care items.
>
> The girls were fighting over the correct way to bag groceries so they were
> calling attention to themselves. I was next in line. The bill came to over
> $500. The cashier asked if this food was some for some event. The mom said
> no. Just for them. I asked her how many there were. She said just the three
> of them and that was their normal weekly shopping. I was shocked!
>
> When Angela I lived alone, our weekly shopping there amounted to maybe
> $80 a
> week. Granted, this was a few years ago. Neither of us were big meat eaters
> and we didn't buy much of our personal products there.
>
> I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other daughter
> was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I just couldn't
> imagine
> them eating that much chicken!
>
> ====
>
> Â*Â*Â* There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food
> bought, ends up in landfill!!!
>
> Â*Â*Â* What a waste

That does not happen in my house.

My guess is the lady was just trying to get a rise out the the cashier
for asking. No one eats that much chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 6/23/2019 5:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> (snippage)
>>
>> There was a time when I looked at other people's shopping carts. These
>> days I don't care. I don't care if they look at what I buy, either.

> I always look at people's shopping carts. I am always sad when I see an
> elderly person with nothing but small, cheap, frozen meals or person with
> small children buying cheap cereal and fruit flavored drinks.
>
> Once at Winco, there was a mom with two teenage girls. She had three carts
> heaped full. I didn't see much in the way of junk food. No soda. A lot of
> bulk packs of chicken parts, fresh and frozen vegetables, dairy and eggs,
> lots of bread, some cleaning supplies and personal care items.
>
> The girls were fighting over the correct way to bag groceries so they were
> calling attention to themselves. I was next in line. The bill came to over
> $500. The cashier asked if this food was some for some event. The mom said
> no. Just for them. I asked her how many there were. She said just the
> three
> of them and that was their normal weekly shopping. I was shocked!
>
> When Angela I lived alone, our weekly shopping there amounted to maybe $80
> week. Granted, this was a few years ago. Neither of us were big meat
> eaters
> and we didn't buy much of our personal products there.
>
> I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other
> daughter
> was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I just couldn't
> imagine
> them eating that much chicken!
>
> ====
>
> There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food bought,
> ends up in landfill!!!
>
> What a waste

That does not happen in my house.

My guess is the lady was just trying to get a rise out the the cashier
for asking. No one eats that much chicken.

===

Hopefully!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
> > (snippage)
> >
> > There was a time when I looked at other people's shopping carts.
> > These days I don't care. I don't care if they look at what I buy,
> > either.

> I always look at people's shopping carts. I am always sad when I see
> an elderly person with nothing but small, cheap, frozen meals or
> person with small children buying cheap cereal and fruit flavored
> drinks.
>
> Once at Winco, there was a mom with two teenage girls. She had three
> carts heaped full. I didn't see much in the way of junk food. No
> soda. A lot of bulk packs of chicken parts, fresh and frozen
> vegetables, dairy and eggs, lots of bread, some cleaning supplies and
> personal care items.
>
> The girls were fighting over the correct way to bag groceries so they
> were calling attention to themselves. I was next in line. The bill
> came to over $500. The cashier asked if this food was some for some
> event. The mom said no. Just for them. I asked her how many there
> were. She said just the three of them and that was their normal
> weekly shopping. I was shocked!
>
> When Angela I lived alone, our weekly shopping there amounted to
> maybe $80 a week. Granted, this was a few years ago. Neither of us
> were big meat eaters and we didn't buy much of our personal products
> there.
>
> I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other
> daughter was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I just
> couldn't imagine them eating that much chicken!

That is a lot for 1 week but I tend to binge shop the sales and vacuum
seal excess in portion sizes we use. Like the lamb shoulder steaks I
got last night, those are now neatly vacuum sealed in 3 sets of 3
steaks each. Because of that, I may get one monster load every 6 weeks
of near 500$ and then have much smaller 'just some fresh veggies' types
of run for about 30-40$
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 09:18:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/23/2019 5:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove"* wrote in message ...

snip

>> I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other daughter
>> was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I just couldn't
>> imagine
>> them eating that much chicken!
>>
>> ====
>>
>> *** There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food
>> bought, ends up in landfill!!!
>>
>> *** What a waste
>>

>That does not happen in my house.
>
>My guess is the lady was just trying to get a rise out the the cashier
>for asking. No one eats that much chicken.

I buy a lot of chicken at a time, also other meat. It's always on a
sale price and I take it home, portion it and freeze it. Weeks may
go by and I buy no meat of any kind at all. So much for viewing carts
and making assumptions.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 6/23/2019 5:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Julie Bove"Â* wrote in message ...
> >

> >"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >
> > > (snippage)
> > >
> > > There was a time when I looked at other people's shopping carts.
> > > These days I don't care.Â* I don't care if they look at what I
> > > buy, either.

> > I always look at people's shopping carts. I am always sad when I
> > see an elderly person with nothing but small, cheap, frozen meals
> > or person with small children buying cheap cereal and fruit
> > flavored drinks.
> >
> > Once at Winco, there was a mom with two teenage girls. She had
> > three carts heaped full. I didn't see much in the way of junk food.
> > No soda. A lot of bulk packs of chicken parts, fresh and frozen
> > vegetables, dairy and eggs, lots of bread, some cleaning supplies
> > and personal care items.
> >
> > The girls were fighting over the correct way to bag groceries so
> > they were calling attention to themselves. I was next in line. The
> > bill came to over $500. The cashier asked if this food was some for
> > some event. The mom said no. Just for them. I asked her how many
> > there were. She said just the three of them and that was their
> > normal weekly shopping. I was shocked!
> >
> > When Angela I lived alone, our weekly shopping there amounted to
> > maybe $80 a week. Granted, this was a few years ago. Neither of us
> > were big meat eaters and we didn't buy much of our personal
> > products there.
> >
> > I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other
> > daughter was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I
> > just couldn't imagine them eating that much chicken!
> >
> > ====
> >
> > Â*Â*Â* There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food
> > bought, ends up in landfill!!!
> >
> > Â*Â*Â* What a waste
> >

> That does not happen in my house.
>
> My guess is the lady was just trying to get a rise out the the
> cashier for asking. No one eats that much chicken.

My bet is she was stocking a chest freezer and there was a good sale on
bulk chicken.

They do that here with .29-.39lb chicken leg quarters. They sell in
bulk packs of about 8-10lbs each and I might get 3-4 of them then
separate the drum sticks and freeze them in sets. For us 6 drumsticks
per pack and for the thighs, it's 4 per pack.

I'll end up with roughly 4 sets of drumsticks and 6 of thighs with a
stray vacuum seal mixed pack. We average chicken twice a week so
that's a 6 week or so load for us.

I don't mind folks peering at my cart. It's normally very friendly and
strikes up a little conversation. Had a nice one a few weeks ago with
a gentleman who did not appear to be used to grocery shopping. His wife
had just had twins and he had an 8yo boy in tow. He was carefully
selecting products he recognized and getting a little confused as his
son was pointing out sales (apparently his job when shopping with mom).

We were in the same isle so I showed him a game I'd played with
Charlotte when she was little. I'd bring a bag of change and everytime
she found an acceptable item for less, I'd hand her the change equal to
the difference. (Our brand specific items were not debatable though).
At the end, she'd normally have enough for a 'treat' (yes, I cheated a
little to make sure of that in the early days). He laughed and handed
his son his cell phone with the calculator and let him keep track of
his 'savings'.

I've also had folks ask me how I use (insert odd item in my cart) and
been happy to explain. That one happened yesterday over the lamb
shoulder. Lamb is still a relatively 'unknown meat' to many USA folks.
A young lady was trying to shave food budget to pay for a car bill and
lamb shoulder was on sale for 3.97lb. I passed on several super easy
recipes for it.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>
> >> Good news, but I didn't know he has had heart surgery??

> > Yes, but it wasn't open heart surgery levels. He was at the
> > emergency room a month ago and they had a stress test later and
> > this was a follow-up where they insert a camera and look inside the
> > heart at the arteries and veins.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > And all is well??? That is good news

> Yes. They had the extra tests because it seemed a month ago, he might
> have been having a heart attack. Scarey as #%^ to us all here.
>
> Yes, that is hellish(
>
> The surgeon said he's got one of the cleanest hearts she's seen in a
> long time for a man of his age (still a bit shy of 70). More like a
> man 1/2 his age. Looks like we can relax on the statin cholestrol
> meds they have been trying to get him to take recently that do not
> make him feel well.
>
> D. was having pain problems late last year. Doc but him on bet
> blockers and statins.
>
> The beta blockers are working very well and the pains are gone. The
> statins? Not so well. He got horrific legs pains.
>
> A friend of mine has the same problem and her doc is stopping the
> statins. So maybe something to watch out for.
>
> Anyway, I am very pleased all is going well, I wish you all the
> luck in the world that it continues

Thank you! Life is going back to normal here. Yes, statins can be a
problem and his next trip to the Doctor's office, I'm going with him to
make sure they record his issues with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 11:28:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 12:24:44 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 3:12:04 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > We were in Macy's the other day and I found a pressure cooker that would
> > > work on an induction stove for 32 bucks. It was a nice looking pot that
> > > uses a spring pressure regulator. I'd rather have a gravity regulator
> > > but for $32, I can't complain. I made pot roast. It was okay. What do I
> > > do now? Beats me.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5JM0maPuNGFOU3
> > >

> > You can do frozen chicken wings or legs in 6 minutes after it comes to
> > pressure.
> > Then you can take them out and finish them in the oven or toaster oven.

> That would be a plan however the air fryer works great for chicken wings.
> I'll make some kalua pig in the pressure cooker. For the air fryer, I plan
> to wrap a stuffed Anaheim pepper in pie dough and air fry it. That should be
> tasty.
>
> =====
>
> Ahaaaaaaaa! You are now hooked on the Air Fryer)) What you are
> saying about your pressure cooker, you were saying about your Air Fryer))
>
> Let us hope you get to enjoy your new piece of kit as much))

I can't say that I'm hooked on this appliance. It does make a nice chicken wing. If I was hooked on chicken wings, I might be. OTOH, the only appliance I'm hooked on is my range. Mostly, I'll keep these toys until I get tired of them and need the space.

The pressure cooker and the air-fryer are both NuWave branded toys.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/n...ker?ID=8122666
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 1:55:12 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > We were in Macy's the other day and I found a pressure cooker that
> > > would work on an induction stove for 32 bucks. It was a nice
> > > looking pot that uses a spring pressure regulator. I'd rather
> > > have a gravity regulator but for $32, I can't complain. I made
> > > pot roast. It was okay. What do I do now? Beats me.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5JM0maPuNGFOU3

> > Looks good but dunno next step. Pressure cookers seem all about how
> > 'fast they cook once up to pressure' but my few forays into them the
> > total time was almost the same as stove top.
> >
> > Somehow, they never seemed like a 'fun' device to me.

> They were more fun when I was younger. Not so much now. I'm guessing
> because I'm not that much into meat these days.

Probably true! The main claim to fame they seem to have is making
dried beans faster but frankly, I'm ok with a crockpot for that and how
long it takes. I guess in the back of my mind, the low and slow lets
the spices meld better. or so I think.

If I canned a lot, I'd want one for that too but I don't do more than
the stray jelly/jam with fruits.

They *may* be useful with another dish I have going now, but I'm just
fine with it taking longer in a crockpot. I'm making reduced sodium
'salt boiled peanuts'. The true recipe uses a LOT of salt, like 1/4
CUP is the starting point. Mine uses 3TB of a lower sodium soy sauce,
then adds a medium strength chile powder blend at about 1TB. Not
totally low-sodium, but reasonable with portion control. 1/2cup still
in shell works out at about 150mg sodium (about 1/3cup nut meat). Mine
will take 18 hours on medium/low and get better and better for up to 48
hours total time. I have about 4 cups of raw going and the meats
freeze exceptionally well for later dishes if any are left Tuesday
(unlikely but happens).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> wrote: >>> > > My gardener said he wanted Spanish rice, lentils and a

> peppers, >>> > > tomatoes,Kalamatta olives, feta cheese and pecans.
> His has >>> > > craisins. I have no cucumber or that would be in
> there too. My >>> > > blood sugar doesn't like lentils so I'm having
> kidney beans >>> > > instead.

> a >>> > bean diet for every meal.

> add >>> pepperoncini, cherry tomatoes, and red onion - assume you've
> got oil >>> and vinegar, maybe oregano

> > > Did not have red onion. I don't know if he likes pepperocini, but
> > > don't.

> > I seem to recall you have a good recipe for Spanish Rice that you
> > have posted from time to time?

> Yes but that is made as a meal. This stuff came in a box. Can't
> remember the brand but I think it's the only brown rice kind
> available. Winco sells it.
> >
> > Today is when I would have gone shopping but instead am at home.
> > Don's heart cath yesterday means he's not to be left untended for 2
> > days. The good news is his heart checked out as extremely healthy
> > for his age with none of the plaque (cholestrol) buildup to be
> > expected by his age.
> >
> > The surgeon discussed diet (and post surgery care of course). She
> > said to keep on going just like we are. Sodium reduced and heavy
> > on the veggies and fruits, reliance on seafood for at least 1/3 of
> > all meals that have meat (seafood is meat to me).

> Okay.

Heheh ok, got your own recipe for a meal? I can google plenty and have
some ideas but was thinking to make some tomorrow or the next day when
I get home from work. I only recall your's was a scratch mix and
looked pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:10:18 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Probably true! The main claim to fame they seem to have is making
> dried beans faster but frankly, I'm ok with a crockpot for that and how
> long it takes. I guess in the back of my mind, the low and slow lets
> the spices meld better. or so I think.
>
> If I canned a lot, I'd want one for that too but I don't do more than
> the stray jelly/jam with fruits.
>
> They *may* be useful with another dish I have going now, but I'm just
> fine with it taking longer in a crockpot. I'm making reduced sodium
> 'salt boiled peanuts'. The true recipe uses a LOT of salt, like 1/4
> CUP is the starting point. Mine uses 3TB of a lower sodium soy sauce,
> then adds a medium strength chile powder blend at about 1TB. Not
> totally low-sodium, but reasonable with portion control. 1/2cup still
> in shell works out at about 150mg sodium (about 1/3cup nut meat). Mine
> will take 18 hours on medium/low and get better and better for up to 48
> hours total time. I have about 4 cups of raw going and the meats
> freeze exceptionally well for later dishes if any are left Tuesday
> (unlikely but happens).

A pressure cooker makes canning at home possible. For people back in the old days that needed to preserve foods, it was a godsend. These days, not so much.

Cooking a roast in a pressure cooker at an elevated temperature makes the meat look a little odd. It looks misshaped and "stressed out." I'll try a pork butt and make some kalua pork. That might turn out a little nicer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> [...]

> > said it might have been a lung related infection that would feel
> > similar so put him on antibiotics and he felt better very soon.
> >
> > This was followup as a stress test showed some mild abnormality but
> > the surgeon didnt find anything wrong at all. In fact, he looked
> > to the camera to be the heart of someone 30 years younger which
> > lead to the short (4-5 minutes) diet discussion.
> >
> > Yup on the seafood/fish. I'm careful to caveat it after finding I
> > seriously offended some Catholic folks (and similar) by chuckling at
> > 'meatless Friday' (whole salmon anyone?).
> >
> > While we have junk food sometimes here, generally, we eat healthy
> > almost every day. The majority of what we eat is made from scratch
> > if you accept that canned tomato products fit in there. It isn't
> > the occasional order out of Dominos that 'gets ya'. It's the extra
> > junk added to pre-made stuff eaten every day.
> >
> > When I grocery shop, I spend 35% of the time in the fresh veggies
> > and fruit section (plus potatoes and onions), 35% in the fresh meat
> > and seafood section, 10% in the canned section, 5% in the
> > flour/baking section, and the rest might be a pet food isle or
> > might be low on bandaids, or something specific like dried beans,
> > rice, or Pepsi.
> >
> > Will you see something else in our cart (might be 2)? Yes, but 80%
> > by volume of cart will be staples, veggies and meats. The rest
> > might be Pepsi, aluminium foil, coffee creamers (I supply them at
> > work as my part of the coffee mess).
> >
> > Although a very different person from Julie, she also is a bit like
> > me in how she cooks in some ways. She seems to start (like I do)
> > with what she has in fresh foods, and work on from there.
> >
> > The difference is she seems to start with an idea then look for the
> > parts while I start with what I have and work onwards from there.

> If I can't get to the store then I do rely on what I have. When
> fixing food for just me, this is never a problem. Although I am
> picky, I stick to buying things that I like although once in a while,
> I'll try something different. That way I always have the makings of a
> meal.
>
> The gardener likes more variety and especially likes Thai and Asian
> food. I don't like Thai food at all and pretty much only like a
> couple of Asian ones. That means I have to buy bean sprouts (they
> don't keep well) and sometimes have to hunt for sauces. I also have
> to buy the Pad Thai noodles online because he likes the brown rice
> ones and they are far cheaper to get this way.
>
> I also eat very little meat. When by myself, I never or rarely buy
> meat, but I will eat it in a restaurant. It's far easier to order a
> meat meal than a vegetarian one in a restaurant.
>
> I am making pork fried rice for him, and there are plenty of
> leftovers in the fridge. I am cooking some plain rice so I shouldn't
> have to cook tomorrow.
>
> I will have the rest of the tuna salad in a pita.

Similar to me, but I rely on what i have but I rarely go to the store
for anything specific for a certain dish. Like the amalgum of my
shopping yesterday, I have staples we use and then plan meals around
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> wrote: >>> > > My gardener said he wanted Spanish rice, lentils and a

>> peppers, >>> > > tomatoes,Kalamatta olives, feta cheese and pecans.
>> His has >>> > > craisins. I have no cucumber or that would be in
>> there too. My >>> > > blood sugar doesn't like lentils so I'm having
>> kidney beans >>> > > instead.

>> a >>> > bean diet for every meal.

>> add >>> pepperoncini, cherry tomatoes, and red onion - assume you've
>> got oil >>> and vinegar, maybe oregano

>> > I seem to recall you have a good recipe for Spanish Rice that you
>> > have posted from time to time?

>> Yes but that is made as a meal. This stuff came in a box. Can't
>> remember the brand but I think it's the only brown rice kind
>> available. Winco sells it.
>> >
>> > Today is when I would have gone shopping but instead am at home.
>> > Don's heart cath yesterday means he's not to be left untended for 2
>> > days. The good news is his heart checked out as extremely healthy
>> > for his age with none of the plaque (cholestrol) buildup to be
>> > expected by his age.
>> >
>> > The surgeon discussed diet (and post surgery care of course). She
>> > said to keep on going just like we are. Sodium reduced and heavy
>> > on the veggies and fruits, reliance on seafood for at least 1/3 of
>> > all meals that have meat (seafood is meat to me).

>> Okay.

> Heheh ok, got your own recipe for a meal? I can google plenty and have
> some ideas but was thinking to make some tomorrow or the next day when
> I get home from work. I only recall your's was a scratch mix and
> looked pretty good.

You mean for Spanish Rice? Mine is never the same way twice but here's how I
do it. Use long grain rice.

I first fry the rice in a little olive oil. It will look a little different
and smell little different when it's done. Then add the liquid. I use a mix
of water or broth and some form of tomato. I might use chopped fresh tomato,
tomato sauce, canned tomato, Rotel, salsa, tomato sauce, etc. I might also
add diced chiles, jalapenos, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, maybe even
a little carrot. I season with salt and chili powder. I might add cilantro.
All depends on what I have and what (if anything) is added to the tomato
that I put in. I usually add beans. I might use Maycoba, pinto, black, red
or kidney. I also add cooked ground beef. Add a little water to your beef as
it cooks. This will help break it down to small bits and you won't have
large chunks.

If using white rice, you can add all of this stuff together because it has a
20 minute cook time. Nothing will get overcooked. Factor 1 cup of rice and 2
cups of liquid. Keep in mind that the veggies you add will cook down and add
liquid. Here's where you have to wing it. You don't want too much tomato and
you don't want too much liquid. A little extra liquid is okay. Either keep
the lid on and let it absorb or leave the heat on, lid off and let it cook
down a bit.

You can't cook it all together if you use brown rice as that's usually a 45
minute cook time. You'll have mush. For brown rice, fry as above then add
the liquid of your broth, water and tomato only. Add your seasonings to the
rice but not quite as much salt. Look at your package but mine uses 1 cup
rice to 2 1/4 cup liquid.

Cook your beef and veggies separately along with a little salt. Don't add
the beans to this as they are already cooked.

When the rice is done, mix it all together and let it sit for about 5-10
min. for the liquid to absorb.

As you can see, this is a good way to add any little extra things in your
fridge. Especially veggies. I have added zucchini, spinach, peas,even sweet
potato. You can leave out or add things as you wish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/23/2019 5:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> There was a time when I looked at other people's shopping carts. These
>>> days I don't care. I don't care if they look at what I buy, either.

>> I always look at people's shopping carts. I am always sad when I see an
>> elderly person with nothing but small, cheap, frozen meals or person with
>> small children buying cheap cereal and fruit flavored drinks.
>>
>> Once at Winco, there was a mom with two teenage girls. She had three
>> carts
>> heaped full. I didn't see much in the way of junk food. No soda. A lot of
>> bulk packs of chicken parts, fresh and frozen vegetables, dairy and eggs,
>> lots of bread, some cleaning supplies and personal care items.
>>
>> The girls were fighting over the correct way to bag groceries so they
>> were
>> calling attention to themselves. I was next in line. The bill came to
>> over
>> $500. The cashier asked if this food was some for some event. The mom
>> said
>> no. Just for them. I asked her how many there were. She said just the
>> three
>> of them and that was their normal weekly shopping. I was shocked!
>>
>> When Angela I lived alone, our weekly shopping there amounted to maybe
>> $80 a
>> week. Granted, this was a few years ago. Neither of us were big meat
>> eaters
>> and we didn't buy much of our personal products there.
>>
>> I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other
>> daughter
>> was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I just couldn't
>> imagine
>> them eating that much chicken!
>>
>> ====
>>
>> There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food bought,
>> ends up in landfill!!!
>>
>> What a waste
>>

> That does not happen in my house.
>
> My guess is the lady was just trying to get a rise out the the cashier for
> asking. No one eats that much chicken.

That could be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 09:18:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 6/23/2019 5:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>>>

> snip
>>>
>>> I was still shocked. The mom and one daughter were thin. The other
>>> daughter
>>> was not thin but didn't look much overweight either. I just couldn't
>>> imagine
>>> them eating that much chicken!
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food
>>> bought, ends up in landfill!!!
>>>
>>> What a waste
>>>

>>That does not happen in my house.
>>
>>My guess is the lady was just trying to get a rise out the the cashier
>>for asking. No one eats that much chicken.

> I buy a lot of chicken at a time, also other meat. It's always on a
> sale price and I take it home, portion it and freeze it. Weeks may
> go by and I buy no meat of any kind at all. So much for viewing carts
> and making assumptions.

No assumption here. The mom told me they would eat it all in a week then be
back for more.

I buy large packs of chicken, cut in bite sized pieces, cook and freeze. I
also cook and freeze ground beef;
Salt and pepper only for seasoning. That way if the gardener wants something
to eat and I'm not here, he can take some out, nuke it and add it to
whatever. I always keep beans, rice and tortillas in the fridge along with
cooked and fresh veggies.

If I am making something like Pad Thai, I prefer to cook the chicken from
raw. I do keep some raw meat in the freezer but not a lot because I always
forget to thaw it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 11:28:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 12:24:44 PM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 3:12:04 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > We were in Macy's the other day and I found a pressure cooker that
> > > would
> > > work on an induction stove for 32 bucks. It was a nice looking pot
> > > that
> > > uses a spring pressure regulator. I'd rather have a gravity regulator
> > > but for $32, I can't complain. I made pot roast. It was okay. What do
> > > do now? Beats me.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...5JM0maPuNGFOU3
> > >

> > You can do frozen chicken wings or legs in 6 minutes after it comes to
> > pressure.
> > Then you can take them out and finish them in the oven or toaster oven.

> That would be a plan however the air fryer works great for chicken wings.
> I'll make some kalua pig in the pressure cooker. For the air fryer, I plan
> to wrap a stuffed Anaheim pepper in pie dough and air fry it. That should
> be
> tasty.
>
> =====
>
> Ahaaaaaaaa! You are now hooked on the Air Fryer)) What you are
> saying about your pressure cooker, you were saying about your Air
> Fryer))
>
> Let us hope you get to enjoy your new piece of kit as much))

I can't say that I'm hooked on this appliance. It does make a nice chicken
wing. If I was hooked on chicken wings, I might be. OTOH, the only appliance
I'm hooked on is my range. Mostly, I'll keep these toys until I get tired of
them and need the space.

The pressure cooker and the air-fryer are both NuWave branded toys.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/n...ker?ID=8122666

==

My pressure cooker is a very old one and I use it on the gas hob)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> [...]

> or leave the heat on, lid off and let it cook down a bit.
>
> You can't cook it all together if you use brown rice as that's
> usually a 45 minute cook time. You'll have mush. For brown rice, fry
> as above then add the liquid of your broth, water and tomato only.
> Add your seasonings to the rice but not quite as much salt. Look at
> your package but mine uses 1 cup rice to 2 1/4 cup liquid.
>
> Cook your beef and veggies separately along with a little salt.
> Don't add the beans to this as they are already cooked.
>
> When the rice is done, mix it all together and let it sit for about
> 5-10 min. for the liquid to absorb.
>
> As you can see, this is a good way to add any little extra things in
> your fridge. Especially veggies. I have added zucchini, spinach,
> peas,even sweet potato. You can leave out or add things as you wish.

Got it! I was forgetting to fry the rice in a bit of oil (or butter)
first. Was getting soggy stuff due to that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:10:18 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Probably true! The main claim to fame they seem to have is making
>> dried beans faster but frankly, I'm ok with a crockpot for that and how
>> long it takes. I guess in the back of my mind, the low and slow lets
>> the spices meld better. or so I think.
>>
>> If I canned a lot, I'd want one for that too but I don't do more than
>> the stray jelly/jam with fruits.
>>
>> They *may* be useful with another dish I have going now, but I'm just
>> fine with it taking longer in a crockpot. I'm making reduced sodium
>> 'salt boiled peanuts'. The true recipe uses a LOT of salt, like 1/4
>> CUP is the starting point. Mine uses 3TB of a lower sodium soy sauce,
>> then adds a medium strength chile powder blend at about 1TB. Not
>> totally low-sodium, but reasonable with portion control. 1/2cup still
>> in shell works out at about 150mg sodium (about 1/3cup nut meat). Mine
>> will take 18 hours on medium/low and get better and better for up to 48
>> hours total time. I have about 4 cups of raw going and the meats
>> freeze exceptionally well for later dishes if any are left Tuesday
>> (unlikely but happens).

> A pressure cooker makes canning at home possible. For people back in the old days that needed to preserve foods, it was a godsend. These days, not so much.
>
> Cooking a roast in a pressure cooker at an elevated temperature makes the meat look a little odd. It looks misshaped and "stressed out." I'll try a pork butt and make some kalua pork. That might turn out a little nicer.

Nah, George Jetson's wife Janie didn't use one. Hell, Elroy didn't
even know what a pressure cooker was.

But then again, they were just dumb ass Haoles.

I'll check with Buck Rogers, next time he comes around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk
> wrote:

> > "cshenk" wrote in message

> > The beta blockers are working very well and the pains are gone. The
> > statins? Not so well. He got horrific legs pains.

> Thank you! Life is going back to normal here. Yes, statins can be a
> problem and his next trip to the Doctor's office, I'm going with him to
> make sure they record his issues with them.

My wife was put on a statin several years ago. She quit taking it when
she soon developed severe leg pain. She told her doctor she had quit,
and that was that.
She developed a heart flutter a few years later and was sent to a
cardiologist. He told her that there are lots of statins, so lets try
this one. It works for her without symptoms. Have the doctor prescribe
different ones until one works.
Her heart flutter was determined to be excess caffeine consumption. Now
we're both on decaf. The sacrifices that I make!
I'm happy that your husband is OK.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I buy large packs of chicken, cut in bite sized pieces, cook and freeze. I
> also cook and freeze ground beef;

Silly girl. Just recently you denied ever cooking meat then
freezing it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-24 8:28 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I buy large packs of chicken, cut in bite sized pieces, cook and freeze. I
>> also cook and freeze ground beef;

> Silly girl. Just recently you denied ever cooking meat then
> freezing it.

Bingo. She used to write about doing that. I recently mentioned that and
she said she only did it once. If she could learn to tell the truth it
should be easier for her to remember what really happened instead of
lying about things and getting her lies confused.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:35:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-06-24 8:28 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I buy large packs of chicken, cut in bite sized pieces, cook and freeze. I
>>> also cook and freeze ground beef;

>> Silly girl. Just recently you denied ever cooking meat then
>> freezing it.
>>

>Bingo. She used to write about doing that. I recently mentioned that and
>she said she only did it once. If she could learn to tell the truth it
>should be easier for her to remember what really happened instead of
>lying about things and getting her lies confused.

double bingo. She recently said that she had only done that once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 10:47:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 11:28:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 12:24:44 PM UTC-10,
> > wrote:

> > > You can do frozen chicken wings or legs in 6 minutes after it comes to
> > > pressure.
> > > Then you can take them out and finish them in the oven or toaster oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 2:02:34 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:10:18 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >>
> >> Probably true! The main claim to fame they seem to have is making
> >> dried beans faster but frankly, I'm ok with a crockpot for that and how
> >> long it takes. I guess in the back of my mind, the low and slow lets
> >> the spices meld better. or so I think.
> >>
> >> If I canned a lot, I'd want one for that too but I don't do more than
> >> the stray jelly/jam with fruits.
> >>
> >> They *may* be useful with another dish I have going now, but I'm just
> >> fine with it taking longer in a crockpot. I'm making reduced sodium
> >> 'salt boiled peanuts'. The true recipe uses a LOT of salt, like 1/4
> >> CUP is the starting point. Mine uses 3TB of a lower sodium soy sauce,
> >> then adds a medium strength chile powder blend at about 1TB. Not
> >> totally low-sodium, but reasonable with portion control. 1/2cup still
> >> in shell works out at about 150mg sodium (about 1/3cup nut meat). Mine
> >> will take 18 hours on medium/low and get better and better for up to 48
> >> hours total time. I have about 4 cups of raw going and the meats
> >> freeze exceptionally well for later dishes if any are left Tuesday
> >> (unlikely but happens).

> > A pressure cooker makes canning at home possible. For people back in the old days that needed to preserve foods, it was a godsend. These days, not so much.
> >
> > Cooking a roast in a pressure cooker at an elevated temperature makes the meat look a little odd. It looks misshaped and "stressed out." I'll try a pork butt and make some kalua pork. That might turn out a little nicer.
> >

> Nah, George Jetson's wife Janie didn't use one. Hell, Elroy didn't
> even know what a pressure cooker was.
>
> But then again, they were just dumb ass Haoles.
>
> I'll check with Buck Rogers, next time he comes around.

My guess is that you're a haole of the worst kind. The kind that only thinks of himself and never about other people. An angry, jealous, dumb-ass haole. My wife is a haole/human of the highest quality - a haole that's the opposite of you.

For the life of me, I've never been able to figure it out. She had an awful upbringing - one filled with abuse, fear, and sadness. She's the one that should have been an angry, jealous, filled with rage, haole - but she's not.. What's your ****ing excuse? You better be a good one, Hank.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:26:44 AM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> My wife was put on a statin several years ago. She quit taking it when
> she soon developed severe leg pain. She told her doctor she had quit,
> and that was that.

I developed shoulder blade cramps, kneecap twitching, and collar bone pain.
Statins have the side effect of sucking potassium out of your system and I
corrected the problem by taking two otc potassium caplets daily. My doctor
recommended throwing in some magnesium tablets into that dosage and rarely
do I ever have any cramps or twitching.

> She developed a heart flutter a few years later and was sent to a
> cardiologist. He told her that there are lots of statins, so lets try
> this one. It works for her without symptoms. Have the doctor prescribe
> different ones until one works.

When I first started taking statins years ago we had to go through different
brands to find the one that would work for me. One would reduce the good
cholesterol (HDL) without doing anything to the bad (LDL). The next pres-
cription would have the opposite effect and on and on we went until I tried
the Vytorin. Perfect! It boosted the good cholesterol and lowered the bad
cholesterol without effecting the liver.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:07:11 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:35:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> Silly girl. Just recently you denied ever cooking meat then
> >> freezing it.
> >>

> >Bingo. She used to write about doing that. I recently mentioned that and
> >she said she only did it once. If she could learn to tell the truth it
> >should be easier for her to remember what really happened instead of
> >lying about things and getting her lies confused.

> double bingo. She recently said that she had only done that once.

When she lies she has to remember the lie she told and cover that lie with
another lie that she has to remember.

Have no fear, she's deny stating that she ever wrote that or just claim
amnesia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-24 12:57 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 2:02:34 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

>> I'll check with Buck Rogers, next time he comes around.

> My guess is that you're a haole of the worst kind. The kind that only
> thinks of himself and never about other people. An angry, jealous,
> dumb-ass haole. My wife is a haole/human of the highest quality - a
> haole that's the opposite of you.

Hmm..... You have said that haole is not an insult, so how can someone a
haole of the worst kind?

> For the life of me, I've never been able to figure it out. She had an
> awful upbringing - one filled with abuse, fear, and sadness. She's
> the one that should have been an angry, jealous, filled with rage,
> haole - but she's not. What's your ****ing excuse? You better be a
> good one, Hank.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 14:33:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-06-24 12:57 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 2:02:34 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

>>> I'll check with Buck Rogers, next time he comes around.

>> My guess is that you're a haole of the worst kind. The kind that only
>> thinks of himself and never about other people. An angry, jealous,
>> dumb-ass haole. My wife is a haole/human of the highest quality - a
>> haole that's the opposite of you.

>Hmm..... You have said that haole is not an insult, so how can someone a
>haole of the worst kind?

One can be a man, which is not an insult. But one can also be a man of
the worst kind, which is an insult.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-24 1:12 p.m., wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:07:11 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:35:32 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Bingo. She used to write about doing that. I recently mentioned that and
>>> she said she only did it once. If she could learn to tell the truth it
>>> should be easier for her to remember what really happened instead of
>>> lying about things and getting her lies confused.

>> double bingo. She recently said that she had only done that once.
>>

> When she lies she has to remember the lie she told and cover that lie with
> another lie that she has to remember.
>
> Have no fear, she's deny stating that she ever wrote that or just claim
> amnesia.

That is why I frequently refer to the time I called her out for not
knowing the meaning of the word "ignorant" and questioned how someone
who claimed to be a writer would not know the meaning of that word. She
denied that she had been a writer and denied ever having said that she
was. Someone else did the research and came up with several posts where
she talked about being a writer. She tried to cover her butt by saying
that she didn't remember posting that.... not even the several times
that she apparently had.

I suppose the question was whether she lied when she said she was a
writer, when she said she wasn't a writer, when she wrote that she had
never posted that she was a writer, or when she said she didn't
remember. One thing we can be sure of is that she had lied and,
therefore, is a documented liar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:30:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-06-24 12:57 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 2:02:34 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> >> I'll check with Buck Rogers, next time he comes around.

> > My guess is that you're a haole of the worst kind. The kind that only
> > thinks of himself and never about other people. An angry, jealous,
> > dumb-ass haole. My wife is a haole/human of the highest quality - a
> > haole that's the opposite of you.

> Hmm..... You have said that haole is not an insult, so how can someone a
> haole of the worst kind?

Your might want to re-think the logic of your post. If English is your second language, you're excused. If it's your first, shame on you! Near as I can tell, white people want that word to be considered an insult. I don't consider it to be an insult but that's just because I've grown up using the word. I wasn't brought up to use hurtful words.

Here's a little secret: colored folks don't mind referring to each other by ethnicity. White folk don't mind referring to colored folks by ethnicity. White folk hate being referred to by colored folks by ethnicity. Why is that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 14:52:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:30:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > My guess is that you're a haole of the worst kind. The kind that only
>> > thinks of himself and never about other people. An angry, jealous,
>> > dumb-ass haole. My wife is a haole/human of the highest quality - a
>> > haole that's the opposite of you.

>> Hmm..... You have said that haole is not an insult, so how can someone a
>> haole of the worst kind?
>>

>Your might want to re-think the logic of your post. If English is your second language, you're excused. If it's your first, shame on you! Near as I can tell, white people want that word to be considered an insult. I don't consider it to be an insult but that's just because I've grown up using the word. I wasn't brought up to use hurtful words.
>
>Here's a little secret: colored folks don't mind referring to each other by ethnicity. White folk don't mind referring to colored folks by ethnicity. White folk hate being referred to by colored folks by ethnicity. Why is that?

I don't mind being referred to by ethnicity. According to your logic,
I'm not white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:11:27 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 14:52:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> Hmm..... You have said that haole is not an insult, so how can someone a
> >> haole of the worst kind?
> >>

> >Your might want to re-think the logic of your post. If English is your second language, you're excused. If it's your first, shame on you! Near as I can tell, white people want that word to be considered an insult. I don't consider it to be an insult but that's just because I've grown up using the word. I wasn't brought up to use hurtful words.
> >
> >Here's a little secret: colored folks don't mind referring to each other by ethnicity. White folk don't mind referring to colored folks by ethnicity. White folk hate being referred to by colored folks by ethnicity. Why is that?

> I don't mind being referred to by ethnicity. According to your logic,
> I'm not white.

These things are buried so deep within your psyche that you'll never be aware of it. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-24 5:52 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:30:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-06-24 12:57 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

>>> My guess is that you're a haole of the worst kind. The kind that
>>> only thinks of himself and never about other people. An angry,
>>> jealous, dumb-ass haole. My wife is a haole/human of the highest
>>> quality - a haole that's the opposite of you.

>> Hmm..... You have said that haole is not an insult, so how can
>> someone a haole of the worst kind?
>>

> Your might want to re-think the logic of your post. If English is
> your second language, you're excused. If it's your first, shame on
> you! Near as I can tell, white people want that word to be considered
> an insult. I don't consider it to be an insult but that's just
> because I've grown up using the word. I wasn't brought up to use
> hurtful words.

I don't think there is any need to re-think my logic. When you say that
someone is a FITB of the worst kind you are implying that all are bad,
but that one is the worst.

> Here's a little secret: colored folks don't mind referring to each
> other by ethnicity.

Here is a secret for you. The people that some white people call
coloured people don't like it.

> White folk don't mind referring to colored folks
> by ethnicity. White folk hate being referred to by colored folks by
> ethnicity. Why is that?

This is about their ethnicity. It is about the Hawaiian term haole, and
is a person is said to be a haole of the worst kind, it reflects a
negative attitude toward all of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:21:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:11:27 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 14:52:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Your might want to re-think the logic of your post. If English is your second language, you're excused. If it's your first, shame on you! Near as I can tell, white people want that word to be considered an insult. I don't consider it to be an insult but that's just because I've grown up using the word. I wasn't brought up to use hurtful words.
>> >
>> >Here's a little secret: colored folks don't mind referring to each other by ethnicity. White folk don't mind referring to colored folks by ethnicity. White folk hate being referred to by colored folks by ethnicity. Why is that?

>> I don't mind being referred to by ethnicity. According to your logic,
>> I'm not white.

>These things are buried so deep within your psyche that you'll never be aware of it. That's the breaks.

Damn! And I was so sure!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:27:16 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-06-24 5:52 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> >> Hmm..... You have said that haole is not an insult, so how can
> >> someone a haole of the worst kind?
> >>

> > Your might want to re-think the logic of your post. If English is
> > your second language, you're excused. If it's your first, shame on
> > you! Near as I can tell, white people want that word to be considered
> > an insult. I don't consider it to be an insult but that's just
> > because I've grown up using the word. I wasn't brought up to use
> > hurtful words.
> >

> I don't think there is any need to re-think my logic. When you say that
> someone is a FITB of the worst kind you are implying that all are bad,
> but that one is the worst.
>

> > Here's a little secret: colored folks don't mind referring to each
> > other by ethnicity.

> Here is a secret for you. The people that some white people call
> coloured people don't like it.
>
> > White folk don't mind referring to colored folks
> > by ethnicity. White folk hate being referred to by colored folks by
> > ethnicity. Why is that?

> This is about their ethnicity. It is about the Hawaiian term haole, and
> is a person is said to be a haole of the worst kind, it reflects a
> negative attitude toward all of them.

There's good and bad haoles. the negative attitude is reflected in the word "bad", not "haole." There's good and bad white people, does "white people" reflect a negative attitude towards all of them? I suppose if you believe that it does, it could be. I don't. If you do, well that's your prerogative..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:35:42 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:21:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:11:27 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 14:52:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> I don't mind being referred to by ethnicity. According to your logic,
> >> I'm not white.

> >These things are buried so deep within your psyche that you'll never be aware of it. That's the breaks.

> Damn! And I was so sure!

Let's just face the facts, self-awareness just ain't your bag.