Old 05-09-2009, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Drinks before dinner and wine with dinner...

I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

I don't often cook hunks of meat, other than the occasional London
Broil, so I turn to you, the experts, for advice on whether to even
attempt this recipe or no.

TIA
maxine in ri

Old 05-09-2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising? Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

When you're braising, the liquid is expected to come about halfway up the
meat. (There's no hard-and-fast rule on the minimum or maximum, but halfway
is about right.) If the meat is more than three-quarters submerged, then
it's probably too much liquid, otherwise it should be fine.

Bob

Old 05-09-2009, 05:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

I don't often cook hunks of meat, other than the occasional London
Broil, so I turn to you, the experts, for advice on whether to even
attempt this recipe or no.

I do not deem myself an expert, but I'd say that this is a matter of a
given recipe and individual preference. So, there is no one answer to
this question. Also, if the brisket is going to be braised in a piece,
it will probably take more time than any of the recipes below. In
theory, the recipe appears plausible in this respect, I'd say.

For example:

Coq au vin
- Julia Child: 3 cups of wine (plus some Cognac); 2 1/2 to 3 lbs chicken
(and some bacon)
- Bocuse: just 2 cups of wine (and some Cognac); 4 lbs chicken (and some
bacon)
- M.F.K. Fisher: 2 cups wine (and some Cognac); 2 1/2 to 3 lbs chicken
(and 1/2 lb salt pork)

Boeuf la bourguignonne
- Julia Child: 3 cups of wine (and some Cognac), 3 lbs beef
- Bocuse: just 0.8 cup of wine (and some Cognac), 3.3 pounds beef (and
one calf's foot and some bacon)
- M.F.K. Fisher: 2 cups wine; 3 lbs beef

Victor
Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote in message
I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine.

Anybody else remember Loudon Wainright III?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 8:26*pm, maxine in ri wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. *It's braised, obviously, *but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

I don't often cook hunks of meat, other than the occasional London
Broil, so I turn to you, the experts, for advice on whether to even
attempt this recipe or no.

TIA
maxine in ri

Better yet, just drink the goddamn bottle and forget the ****ing
brisket. And call Cyber**** for directions on how to make a
substitute dinner out of Q-Tips and Dairy Queen ice-cream sundaes.
She could tell you.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote in ...

No. Shut the **** up.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" ha scritto nel messaggio
I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle of
wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of liquid for
braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3 cups of liquid
by half?

Could be, might not be. How much do you trust the recipe writer? If you
use less all the other flavors will be off, and your reduction may not
stretch for all the carved meat.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

I don't often cook hunks of meat, other than the occasional London
Broil, so I turn to you, the experts, for advice on whether to even
attempt this recipe or no.

Go for it... that's only like three glasses of wine... if when the dish is
cooked there's too much liquid you can always remove the meat and solids
(skim the fat) and reduce. It's actually better (safer too) to begin
braising with too much liquid than not enough. I'd use two bottles of wine,
one for me... hey, braising takes a long time.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 10:15*am, "brooklyn1" wrote:
*maxine in ri wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. *It's braised, obviously, *but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

I don't often cook hunks of meat, other than the occasional London
Broil, so I turn to you, the experts, for advice on whether to even
attempt this recipe or no.

Go for it... that's only like three glasses of wine... if when the dish is
cooked there's too much liquid you can always remove the meat and solids
(skim the fat) and reduce. *It's actually better (safer too) to begin
braising with too much liquid than not enough. *I'd use two bottles of wine,
one for me... hey, braising takes a long time.

Hehe. I'll go with the one bottle. There's all sorts of other dried
fruits and fresh veggies in there too. I'll leave the second bottle
for you.

Thanks,
maxine in ri
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 3:58*am, "Giusi" wrote:
"maxine in ri" *ha scritto nel messaggio

I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle of
wine. *It's braised, obviously, *but isn't that an awful lot of liquid for
braising?Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3 cups of liquid
by half?

Could be, might not be. *How much do you trust the recipe writer? *If you
use less all the other flavors will be off, and your reduction may not
stretch for all the carved meat.

From the general tone of what everyone here has said, I'll follow the
instructions, and try the bottle of wine plus the 1/2 cup port.
Instructions call for simmering it down, so if it looks like too much,
I'll just leave the cover off for part of the cooking time.

thanks
maxine in ri

Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 12:29*am, (Victor Sack) wrote:
maxine in ri wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, those are smaller quantities of liquid per chunks of meat, but
OTOH, I'm ending up using a largish pan (from stovetop to oven, it's
the only one I've got that fits), so I may have to take Sheldon's
advice and go with a second bottle just to be sure I have enough!

Thanks,
maxine in ri
Old 05-09-2009, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 9:48*pm, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:
maxine wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. *It's braised, obviously, *but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising? Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

When you're braising, the liquid is expected to come about halfway up the
meat. (There's no hard-and-fast rule on the minimum or maximum, but halfway
is about right.) If the meat is more than three-quarters submerged, then
it's probably too much liquid, otherwise it should be fine.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I like rules of thumb like that.

maxine in ri
Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
maxine wrote:
I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine. It's braised, obviously, but isn't that an awful lot of
liquid for braising? Even after the reduction of that and the other 2-3
cups of liquid by half?

When you're braising, the liquid is expected to come about halfway up the
meat. (There's no hard-and-fast rule on the minimum or maximum, but
halfway
is about right.) If the meat is more than three-quarters submerged, then
it's probably too much liquid, otherwise it should be fine.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I like rules of thumb like that.

He's wrong, though. The best braised meat has much less water, just a splash
for several pounds is fine for American meats, which contain a lot more
water.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

I have a recipe that calls for a 3-4 lb brisket, and a 750 ml bottle
of wine.

Coq au vin
- Julia Child: 3 cups of wine (plus some Cognac); 2 1/2 to 3 lbs chicken
(and some bacon)

Boeuf la bourguignonne
- Julia Child: 3 cups of wine (and some Cognac), 3 lbs beef

Hmmm, those are smaller quantities of liquid per chunks of meat,

Not in Julia's case. 3 cups is 710 ml for 3 lbs of beef; your recipe
calls for a bit more beef and 750 ml of wine, so the quantities are
comparable.

Victor

Wine Dinner last night Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 3 29-01-2016 08:29 PM
Suggestions for dinner wine Robb in Austin Wine 8 08-12-2009 08:35 PM
Wine Dinner Lawrence Leichtman Wine 0 22-02-2006 05:40 PM
Dinner Party Wine [email protected] General Cooking 10 06-06-2004 11:57 AM