Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thankgiving dinner # (what are we up to in threads about t-day dinner?)

Small gathering this year, only 7 of us. One (dad) who can't eat much and
doesn't like to hang out since is still recovering from surgery. He managed
to eat a little turkey and stuffing. Mom was there of course doing the
things that are hard to travel with, though she's slowing down a lot too,
and couldn't stand for periods of time without having to sit down. She will
have knee surgery in the next couple of months. Sis with her 3 kids, and
me.

Mom did a turkey breast, stuffing that we ended up moving to cupcake tins
because we all like it crunchy, I peeled, boiled and mashed the potatoes
she'd set aside and this was my first experience with gluey mashers. Tasted
good, but the consistency was the kind I don't like. The were red potatoes,
so since I always use russets, maybe that's what it was.

Mom made a list to keep us on track (missing things and a little out of
order, but that's ok)

bring the ice up and chill the water in the pitchers
Fill the bird feeders (???????????????) <<-- had to laugh at this one
Set the table
Fill the relish dishes
Make the gravy (turkey wasn't even finished yet)
get turkey platter out of storage

The dishes my sister and I made weren't on the list so we told her we'd take
care of everything, including her list. It went pretty smoothly and we
didn't have food that wasn't ready to eat when everything else was ready and
the kids are asking every 2 minutes if dinner is ready yet.

I brought green bean casserole made with a homemade mushroom cream sauce and
homemade onion rings to put on top, and the Spinach Soup. I should have
known when I mentioned crème fraîche for the topping that she'd have
everything needed to make our own.

Sis brought some smoked turkey legs and wings because her kids don't like
turkey breast. She also brought an acorn squash dish that was too sweet for
my taste, but the kids loved it. She also brought tiny one portion pies of
different varieties.

We played cards for a while after and then the tryptophan kicked in and I
needed a nap or needed to go home.

I just wish my dad's surgery recovery was coming along faster. He's thinner
and thinner every time I see him. And he gets cranky when we talk about
food. It just really hurts him to eat.

I hope you fellow Americans enjoyed our day of thankfulness and gluttony.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! I'm thankful I have these wonderful people in my life
who supported me during my darkest days. I'm sad that there were missing
people today including one who will never grace our table again, but I'm
thankful that he was in my life for 23 years. I'm sad for the victims of
yet more terrorist attacks, and hopeful for a time without them.

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:29:38p, Cheryl told us...

> [...]
> sweet for my taste, but the kids loved it. She also brought tiny one
> portion pies of different varieties.
>
> We played cards for a while after and then the tryptophan kicked in and
> I needed a nap or needed to go home.
>
> I just wish my dad's surgery recovery was coming along faster. He's
> thinner and thinner every time I see him. And he gets cranky when we
> talk about food. It just really hurts him to eat.
>
> I hope you fellow Americans enjoyed our day of thankfulness and
> gluttony.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!!! I'm thankful I have these wonderful people in my
> life who supported me during my darkest days. I'm sad that there were
> missing people today including one who will never grace our table again,
> but I'm thankful that he was in my life for 23 years. I'm sad for the
> victims of yet more terrorist attacks, and hopeful for a time without

All in all, Cheryl, it sounds like you had a truly wonderful day!

Happy Thanksgiving, and a quick recovery for your Dad.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Where do all the characters you BACKSPACE over go?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote

> I peeled, boiled and mashed the potatoes she'd set aside and this was my
> first experience with gluey mashers. Tasted good, but the consistency was
> the kind I don't like. The were red potatoes, so since I always use
> russets, maybe that's what it was.

I find these little red potatoes icky, consistency wise. I love Russets.
Russets mash themselves! This is why you never got the gluey effect,
because it comes from overbeating, and you only have to look at russets hard
and they fall apart obligingly.

Glad you still have your parents. I sure miss mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Mom made a list to keep us on track (missing things and a little out of
> order, but that's ok)
>
> bring the ice up and chill the water in the pitchers
> Fill the bird feeders (???????????????) <<-- had to laugh at this one

Where do you think next year's turkey comes from? :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 10:28:42p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

> Cheryl wrote:
>
>> Mom made a list to keep us on track (missing things and a little out of
>> order, but that's ok)
>>
>> bring the ice up and chill the water in the pitchers
>> Fill the bird feeders (???????????????) <<-- had to laugh at this one

> Where do you think next year's turkey comes from? :-)
>
> Bob

I hope not from the grackles that swarm around our feeder. Um, well, there
were 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie. That might have possibilities.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Call me Ishmael. I won't ANSWER, but...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote:

>> Where do you think next year's turkey comes from? :-)

> I hope not from the grackles that swarm around our feeder. Um, well, there
> were 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie. That might have possibilities.

I work at a fairly high-security Air Force base. Going through the gate the
other day I had to smile at the fact that amid all the barbed wire,
intrusion sensors, steel barricades, guns, and grim-faced guards, someone
had put up a hummingbird feeder.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 10:41:37p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

> Wayne wrote:
>
>>> Where do you think next year's turkey comes from? :-)

>> I hope not from the grackles that swarm around our feeder. Um, well,

there
>> were 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie. That might have possibilities.

> I work at a fairly high-security Air Force base. Going through the gate

the
> other day I had to smile at the fact that amid all the barbed wire,
> intrusion sensors, steel barricades, guns, and grim-faced guards, someone
> had put up a hummingbird feeder.

That would bring a smile!

We have several hummingbird feeders in the yard, and several types of
hummingbirds visit often. Sometime during the past summer, someone put a
hummingbird feeder near out outdoor break area at my office. I love to
watch them. I think they like visiting there because the area is
surrounded by trees and we also have a really good misting system, so it’s
a bit cooler in the blistering summer heat. Aside from the feeder, the
also have a number of flowering bushes that they seem to like.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
A hammer sometimes misses its mark - a bouquet never.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Small gathering this year, only 7 of us. One (dad) who can't eat much
> and doesn't like to hang out since is still recovering from surgery. He
> managed to eat a little turkey and stuffing. Mom was there of course
> doing the things that are hard to travel with, though she's slowing down
> a lot too, and couldn't stand for periods of time without having to sit
> down. She will have knee surgery in the next couple of months. Sis
> with her 3 kids, and me.
>
> Mom did a turkey breast, stuffing that we ended up moving to cupcake
> tins because we all like it crunchy, I peeled, boiled and mashed the
> potatoes she'd set aside and this was my first experience with gluey
> mashers. Tasted good, but the consistency was the kind I don't like.
> The were red potatoes, so since I always use russets, maybe that's what
> it was.
>
> Mom made a list to keep us on track (missing things and a little out of
> order, but that's ok)
>
> bring the ice up and chill the water in the pitchers
> Fill the bird feeders (???????????????) <<-- had to laugh at this one
> Set the table
> Fill the relish dishes
> Make the gravy (turkey wasn't even finished yet)
> get turkey platter out of storage
>
> The dishes my sister and I made weren't on the list so we told her we'd
> take care of everything, including her list. It went pretty smoothly
> and we didn't have food that wasn't ready to eat when everything else
> was ready and the kids are asking every 2 minutes if dinner is ready yet.
>
> I brought green bean casserole made with a homemade mushroom cream sauce
> and homemade onion rings to put on top, and the Spinach Soup. I should
> have known when I mentioned crème fraîche for the topping that she'd
> have everything needed to make our own.
>
> Sis brought some smoked turkey legs and wings because her kids don't
> like turkey breast. She also brought an acorn squash dish that was too
> sweet for my taste, but the kids loved it. She also brought tiny one
> portion pies of different varieties.
>
> We played cards for a while after and then the tryptophan kicked in and
> I needed a nap or needed to go home.
>
> I just wish my dad's surgery recovery was coming along faster. He's
> thinner and thinner every time I see him. And he gets cranky when we
> talk about food. It just really hurts him to eat.
>
> I hope you fellow Americans enjoyed our day of thankfulness and gluttony.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!!! I'm thankful I have these wonderful people in my
> life who supported me during my darkest days. I'm sad that there were
> missing people today including one who will never grace our table again,
> but I'm thankful that he was in my life for 23 years. I'm sad for the
> victims of yet more terrorist attacks, and hopeful for a time without them.
>
> *´¨)
> (¸.·´ (¸.·'*Cheryl

Nice post, Cheryl. I hope your dad is better able to enjoy your
next holiday. Watching one's parents age etc. is the pits.

--
Jean B.