Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Thanksgiving Post-Dinner Snack After Noon Dinner

We had "dinner" at noon with my in-laws in their retirement home. We
ate our fill but were hungry when we got home at about normal-for-us
dinner time, 6 PM. The quick-and-easy solution I made required 3
ingredients

Deli ham

Ricotta cheese

Olive oil

Season the ricotta with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic - all
powered/dried although fresh could certain work for some of those.

Lay out the slices of ham, put a nice dollop of seasoned ricotta in the
center, roll up, stick a toothpick through to keep it together, and fry
in olive oil on a medium-high heat. Turn once, when the bottom side is
nicely browned, after about 4 minutes. The second side needs less time,
about 2 minutes.

This really hit the spot for us - flavorful, low carbs after all the pie
in the afternoon, and we ate it standing up in the kitchen because we'd
just finished a day of 2 hours of driving, 4 hours of sitting, and 2
more hours of driving.

We were hungry for more but had run out of ricotta cheese, so we
substituted deli provolone cheese for the next round and otherwise did
the same - put the cheese on the ham then the seasonings on top of that,
rolled, and fried. Again, delicious and quick. The ham was our favorite
of late, slow-cooked ham from Whole Foods.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 11:50*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> We had "dinner" at noon with my in-laws in their retirement home. *We
> ate our fill but were hungry when we got home at about normal-for-us
> dinner time, 6 PM. *The quick-and-easy solution I made required 3
> ingredients
>
> Deli ham
>
> Ricotta cheese
>
> Olive oil
>
> Season the ricotta with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic - all
> powered/dried although fresh could certain work for some of those.
>
> Lay out the slices of ham, put a nice dollop of seasoned ricotta in the
> center, roll up, stick a toothpick through to keep it together, and fry
> in olive oil on a medium-high heat. *Turn once, when the bottom side is
> nicely browned, after about 4 minutes. *The second side needs less time,
> about 2 minutes.
>
> This really hit the spot for us - flavorful, low carbs after all the pie
> in the afternoon, and we ate it standing up in the kitchen because we'd
> just finished a day of 2 hours of driving, 4 hours of sitting, and 2
> more hours of driving.
>
> We were hungry for more but had run out of ricotta cheese, so we
> substituted deli provolone cheese for the next round and otherwise did
> the same - put the cheese on the ham then the seasonings on top of that,
> rolled, and fried. *Again, delicious and quick. The ham was our favorite
> of late, slow-cooked ham from Whole Foods.
>
> -S-

Sounds good. My body is used to low carb and is reeling since I ate a
repeat of Thanksgiving dinner lastnight. I so do not want another
turkey, and dressing & gravy dinner again any time soon.
This meal y'all fixed sounds clean and refreshing!!
Nan in DE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 8:46*am, Nan > wrote:
> On Nov 25, 11:50*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>

> > We had "dinner" at noon with my in-laws in their retirement home. *We
> > ate our fill but were hungry when we got home at about normal-for-us
> > dinner time, 6 PM. *The quick-and-easy solution I made required 3
> > ingredients

> > Deli ham

> > Ricotta cheese

> > Olive oil

> > Season the ricotta with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic - all
> > powered/dried although fresh could certain work for some of those.

> > Lay out the slices of ham, put a nice dollop of seasoned ricotta in the
> > center, roll up, stick a toothpick through to keep it together, and fry
> > in olive oil on a medium-high heat. *Turn once, when the bottom side is
> > nicely browned, after about 4 minutes. *The second side needs less time,
> > about 2 minutes.

> > This really hit the spot for us - flavorful, low carbs after all the pie
> > in the afternoon, and we ate it standing up in the kitchen because we'd
> > just finished a day of 2 hours of driving, 4 hours of sitting, and 2
> > more hours of driving.

> > We were hungry for more but had run out of ricotta cheese, so we
> > substituted deli provolone cheese for the next round and otherwise did
> > the same - put the cheese on the ham then the seasonings on top of that,
> > rolled, and fried. *Again, delicious and quick. The ham was our favorite
> > of late, slow-cooked ham from Whole Foods.

> > -S-

> Sounds good. My body is used to low carb and is reeling *since I ate a
> repeat of Thanksgiving dinner lastnight. *I so do not want another
> turkey, and dressing & gravy dinner again any time soon.
> This meal y'all fixed sounds clean and refreshing!!

I didn't touch any potatoes, dressing or dessert. The only carby
thing I had was cooked carrots with some really starchy gravy on
them. No weight gain.

> Nan in DE

--Bryan

Afternoon snack.. and getting dinner I'm back[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-02-2013 04:27 AM
Noon Snack projectile vomit chick[_2_] General Cooking 0 14-09-2009 05:19 AM
Noon Snack Nancy Young[_2_] General Cooking 2 14-09-2009 04:04 AM
Noon Snack Bob Muncie General Cooking 0 13-09-2009 11:38 PM
Dinner post Cinco PeterL[_4_] General Cooking 0 08-05-2007 03:30 AM