Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default lunch today

dsi1 wrote:

> You can tell a person's income from the foods they purchase? That's some goofy world you live in.

Guessing about what people you see do and why they do it is
almost always a fail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Apparently, some
> millionaires are so paranoid about their money that they pretend
> they're street bums!

What an odd thing to say. :-o

There *IS* a good movie about rich pretending to
be a street bum though.
Check out: "Life Stinks" (1991)
I like that movie.
Funny, entertaining and a good ending
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:25:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
> > potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
> > healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
> > not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

> For many green vegetables, I've switched to frozen...next best
> thing to fresh. Have you ever priced fresh veggies in a grocery
> store? Ridiculous prices so often.
>
> Have you tried yellow squash yet? I love it and will buy on sale
> for 79 cents a pound but most times it sells for like $1.79 a
> pound. I won't pay that. Same thing (and prices) just for iceberg
> lettuce.
>
> The truly poor do grow all their own vegetables, raise chickens
> for eggs and meat, and also hunt to suppliment the meat issue.
> This is only for rural people with some land. City poor don't
> have that option.

The TRULY poor live in alleyways and under freeway overpasses. Rat
makes a fine meal.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2019 8:24 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> Yes, we live in different countries.

>> Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
>> grocery sto
>> <https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

> Even retired people don't want the trouble to cook from scratch
> every single day. The frozen food sections are worth checking out
> these days.
>
> Alternatively, I often cook large in order to make my own frozen
> dinners but only on days off when I plenty of time. I'm going to
> make another gallon of pea soup either this morning or tomorrow
> morning. I really like that stuff and good to have some in the
> freezer. Frozen in pint containers which is often enough for 2
> meals.

I have time to make a nice meal every day. That does not mean I want to
though. Sometimes I don't feel very creative, don't have a particular
desire. I can walk through the supermarket and not see a single thing I
want to eat.

So, at least once a week it is pizza or sandwiches, or a rotisserie
chicken type of meal. Occasionally I'll get one of the meal kits from
Publix. They are usually easy to prepare and are pretty darned good
with real food. They are not "poor people" food though, as they run
from $12 to $20 for two servings.

I've not gone the route of frozen dinners, but some do look interesting.
Always have an assortment of frozen veggies on hand too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:42:38 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > Apparently, some
> > millionaires are so paranoid about their money that they pretend
> > they're street bums!

> What an odd thing to say. :-o
>
> There *IS* a good movie about rich pretending to
> be a street bum though.
> Check out: "Life Stinks" (1991)
> I like that movie.
> Funny, entertaining and a good ending

life stinks was a masterpiece. i usually am not a fan of comedies, but this movie was hilarious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:17:13 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:25:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
> > > potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
> > > healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
> > > not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

> > For many green vegetables, I've switched to frozen...next best
> > thing to fresh. Have you ever priced fresh veggies in a grocery
> > store? Ridiculous prices so often.
> >
> > Have you tried yellow squash yet? I love it and will buy on sale
> > for 79 cents a pound but most times it sells for like $1.79 a
> > pound. I won't pay that. Same thing (and prices) just for iceberg
> > lettuce.
> >
> > The truly poor do grow all their own vegetables, raise chickens
> > for eggs and meat, and also hunt to suppliment the meat issue.
> > This is only for rural people with some land. City poor don't
> > have that option.

> The TRULY poor live in alleyways and under freeway overpasses. Rat
> makes a fine meal.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

at least in my area, the poor always have something to eat. the daily soup kitchen comes to mind, as well as a kitchen down on king street east and pandora . they can get clothing as well. there is also a food bank. yet there are still homeless here. the addicts, the mentally ill, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The TRULY poor live in alleyways and under freeway overpasses. Rat
> makes a fine meal.

Wouldn't bother me if that's all there was:
https://www.livescience.com/39926-ea...-ate-rats.html
Similar to squirrel which is tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:54:22 AM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:17:13 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > For many green vegetables, I've switched to frozen...next best
> > > thing to fresh. Have you ever priced fresh veggies in a grocery
> > > store? Ridiculous prices so often.
> > >
> > > Have you tried yellow squash yet? I love it and will buy on sale
> > > for 79 cents a pound but most times it sells for like $1.79 a
> > > pound. I won't pay that. Same thing (and prices) just for iceberg
> > > lettuce.
> > >
> > > The truly poor do grow all their own vegetables, raise chickens
> > > for eggs and meat, and also hunt to suppliment the meat issue.
> > > This is only for rural people with some land. City poor don't
> > > have that option.

> > The TRULY poor live in alleyways and under freeway overpasses. Rat
> > makes a fine meal.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> at least in my area, the poor always have something to eat. the daily soup kitchen comes to mind, as well as a kitchen down on king street east and pandora . they can get clothing as well. there is also a food bank. yet there are still homeless here. the addicts, the mentally ill, etc.

The poor in your area are fortunate.

<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/hunger/>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:22:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >Well-off people often buy prefab food, too. There are thousands
>> >of high-end frozen entrees at the grocery store, most touting their
>> >healthfulness.

>> Yes, we live in different countries.

>The grocery stores now have huge frozen dinner sections, as Cindy
>mentioned. Many these days are actually pretty healthy and good
>"fast food" for people that don't have much spare time to home
>cook every meal. It's a decent compromise. At least healthier
>then BK or McD, etc.
>
>Frozen dinners got a bad rap just from the early days when only
>Swanson or Banquet dinners were sold.
>
>There are certain days, I come home completely exhausted. I'll
>take a shower and eat an easy frozen dinner vs spending an hour
>cooking from stupid scratch. On some of those days, I'll just
>skip eating altogether rather than bother. I've learned to have
>something easy on hand though.
>
>I'm a very big fan of "just toss it in the microwave." It can be
>cooking while you shower.

You must take Speedy Gonzales showers to beat the nucker.

The stupidmarket delis here put out very good home style cooked meals
for little money. a healthy portion for under five bucks. They have
variety too, like 3-4 different entrees plus sides and it changes each
day. And they always have whole rotisserie chickens that feed two for
$5. it costs a lot less to eat at a stupidmarket deli than a fast
food joint.... and the delis serve far better quality than the fast
food joints. The stupidmarket delis can afford to give much better
value for your money simply because unlike a stand alone fast food
joint there's no extra rent and carrying charges, the entire market
subsidizes their deli.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:25:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
>> potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
>> healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
>> not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

>For many green vegetables, I've switched to frozen...next best
>thing to fresh. Have you ever priced fresh veggies in a grocery
>store? Ridiculous prices so often.
>
>Have you tried yellow squash yet? I love it and will buy on sale
>for 79 cents a pound but most times it sells for like $1.79 a
>pound. I won't pay that. Same thing (and prices) just for iceberg
>lettuce.
>
>The truly poor do grow all their own vegetables, raise chickens
>for eggs and meat, and also hunt to suppliment the meat issue.
>This is only for rural people with some land. City poor don't
>have that option.

We grow summer squash, far more yellow squash than we can eat, I'll
turn it into stews for the freezer. During the growing season most of
our produce comes from our garden, and plenty for the freezer... isn't
there a community garden close to where you live where people can each
have a fenced in plot. Even nearby here there are large appartment
complexes that provide a community garden where for a small fee ($20)
renters are assigned a nice sized fenced plot, and they provide a shed
with gardening tools and hoses for watering. Those community gardens
are a great way for like-minded people to meet.

You may not hunt but living close to the ocean is a great way to fill
your freezer with free seafood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:16:06 -0400, wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:22:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:

>>> Yes, we live in different countries.

>>The grocery stores now have huge frozen dinner sections, as Cindy
>>mentioned. Many these days are actually pretty healthy and good
>>"fast food" for people that don't have much spare time to home
>>cook every meal. It's a decent compromise. At least healthier
>>then BK or McD, etc.
>>
>>Frozen dinners got a bad rap just from the early days when only
>>Swanson or Banquet dinners were sold.
>>
>>There are certain days, I come home completely exhausted. I'll
>>take a shower and eat an easy frozen dinner vs spending an hour
>>cooking from stupid scratch. On some of those days, I'll just
>>skip eating altogether rather than bother. I've learned to have
>>something easy on hand though.
>>
>>I'm a very big fan of "just toss it in the microwave." It can be
>>cooking while you shower.

>You must take Speedy Gonzales showers to beat the nucker.
>
>The stupidmarket delis here put out very good home style cooked meals
>for little money. a healthy portion for under five bucks. They have
>variety too, like 3-4 different entrees plus sides and it changes each
>day. And they always have whole rotisserie chickens that feed two for
>$5. it costs a lot less to eat at a stupidmarket deli than a fast
>food joint.... and the delis serve far better quality than the fast
>food joints. The stupidmarket delis can afford to give much better
>value for your money simply because unlike a stand alone fast food
>joint there's no extra rent and carrying charges, the entire market
>subsidizes their deli.

I don't understand why you would recommend supermarket deli food when
you won't eat food in other peoples homes and condemn restaurant and
fast food places. You've got the same strangers handling your food
out of your sight. Most all of it comes in buckets prepared somewhere
a 1000 miles away from you?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:35:55 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:28:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:19:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:02:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> No, some people talk to each other, you know. Clearly not in Hawaii,
> >> though

> >"Hi, how are you - how much money do you have?"

> You must have very superficial contact with people. Is that a Hawaiian
> thing or just you?

I don't gotta must do anything, Mr. "I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:24:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Bruce wrote:
>> > Yes, we live in different countries.

>> Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
>> grocery sto
>> <https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

>Even retired people don't want the trouble to cook from scratch
>every single day. The frozen food sections are worth checking out
>these days.

Frozen TV dinners are expensive compared to cooking your own. Frozen
vegetables are not. And there's nothing wrong with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:51:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:35:55 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:28:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >"Hi, how are you - how much money do you have?"

>> You must have very superficial contact with people. Is that a Hawaiian
>> thing or just you?

>I don't gotta must do anything, Mr. "I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food."

No reply. Noted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:55:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:51:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:35:55 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:28:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> You must have very superficial contact with people. Is that a Hawaiian
> >> thing or just you?

> >I don't gotta must do anything, Mr. "I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food."

> No reply. Noted.

Yes, no reply with extreme prejudice. Did you seriously expect me to reply to "Is that a Hawaiian thing or just you?" Why the heck would I address a smug dig at a culture/people that you disdain? You're obviously not as clever as you think you are. Noted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:11:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:55:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:51:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >I don't gotta must do anything, Mr. "I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food."

>> No reply. Noted.

>Yes, no reply with extreme prejudice. Did you seriously expect me to reply to "Is that a Hawaiian thing or just you?" Why the heck would I address a smug dig at a culture/people that you disdain? You're obviously not as clever as you think you are. Noted.

Apparently, your contact with people is very superficial. You can't
imagine people having a conversation, socializing, getting to know
each other. I wondered where that social inadequacy came from. From
your character or from your culture?

PS: I don't disdain Hawaiian culture. I don't know anything about it.
Are you a good representative? You're very arrogant. Does that mean
Hawaiians are very arrogant? You look down on people not in your
little group. Does that mean Hawaiians do that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 3:53:12 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 08:24:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
> >> grocery sto
> >> <https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

> >Even retired people don't want the trouble to cook from scratch
> >every single day. The frozen food sections are worth checking out
> >these days.

> Frozen TV dinners are expensive compared to cooking your own. Frozen
> vegetables are not. And there's nothing wrong with them.

i was actually manipulated into buying a frozen tv dinner today. hungry man turkey. well, it's not like home made, but it is tasty. the stuffing, mashed pots = ok. the turkey was some kind of turkey roll but edible. kernel corn as well. it's ok. but i'll stick to scratch made food as much as possible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 10:31:08 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:11:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:55:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 10:51:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> No reply. Noted.

> >Yes, no reply with extreme prejudice. Did you seriously expect me to reply to "Is that a Hawaiian thing or just you?" Why the heck would I address a smug dig at a culture/people that you disdain? You're obviously not as clever as you think you are. Noted.

> Apparently, your contact with people is very superficial. You can't
> imagine people having a conversation, socializing, getting to know
> each other. I wondered where that social inadequacy came from. From
> your character or from your culture?
>
> PS: I don't disdain Hawaiian culture. I don't know anything about it.
> Are you a good representative? You're very arrogant. Does that mean
> Hawaiians are very arrogant? You look down on people not in your
> little group. Does that mean Hawaiians do that?

Look in the mirror in you wish to see pure arrogance. You're just not used to seeing a colored person that's unabashedly proud of their culture. That doesn't mean I look down on anybody. Well, I don't trust white guys that have a lot of money and power, but cut me some slack man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfAiB2ZoRhM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 10:51:11 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 3:53:12 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> > >Even retired people don't want the trouble to cook from scratch
> > >every single day. The frozen food sections are worth checking out
> > >these days.

> > Frozen TV dinners are expensive compared to cooking your own. Frozen
> > vegetables are not. And there's nothing wrong with them.

> i was actually manipulated into buying a frozen tv dinner today. hungry man turkey. well, it's not like home made, but it is tasty. the stuffing, mashed pots = ok. the turkey was some kind of turkey roll but edible. kernel corn as well. it's ok. but i'll stick to scratch made food as much as possible.

I used to like TV dinners when I was a kid. Back in the old days, that was a good meal. These days I think they're just so-so. The only TV dinners that I like are cheap Mesican TV dinners. Beats me why I like them - the Mexicans probably think they're an insult to their food culture. I can relate to that but I still like them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 10:31:08 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:11:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, no reply with extreme prejudice. Did you seriously expect me to reply to "Is that a Hawaiian thing or just you?" Why the heck would I address a smug dig at a culture/people that you disdain? You're obviously not as clever as you think you are. Noted.

>> Apparently, your contact with people is very superficial. You can't
>> imagine people having a conversation, socializing, getting to know
>> each other. I wondered where that social inadequacy came from. From
>> your character or from your culture?
>>
>> PS: I don't disdain Hawaiian culture. I don't know anything about it.
>> Are you a good representative? You're very arrogant. Does that mean
>> Hawaiians are very arrogant? You look down on people not in your
>> little group. Does that mean Hawaiians do that?

>Look in the mirror in you wish to see pure arrogance. You're just not used to seeing a colored person that's unabashedly proud of their culture. That doesn't mean I look down on anybody. Well, I don't trust white guys that have a lot of money and power, but cut me some slack man!

I don't care about your colour. I don't think about your colour. I
just see an arrogant guy who always knows everything better. And
you're impossible to have a conversation with because the chips on
your shoulder always interfere.

I'm going to assume that's not a Hawaiian thing, it's just you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:08:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 10:31:08 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:11:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> Apparently, your contact with people is very superficial. You can't
> >> imagine people having a conversation, socializing, getting to know
> >> each other. I wondered where that social inadequacy came from. From
> >> your character or from your culture?
> >>
> >> PS: I don't disdain Hawaiian culture. I don't know anything about it.
> >> Are you a good representative? You're very arrogant. Does that mean
> >> Hawaiians are very arrogant? You look down on people not in your
> >> little group. Does that mean Hawaiians do that?

> >Look in the mirror in you wish to see pure arrogance. You're just not used to seeing a colored person that's unabashedly proud of their culture. That doesn't mean I look down on anybody. Well, I don't trust white guys that have a lot of money and power, but cut me some slack man!

> I don't care about your colour. I don't think about your colour. I
> just see an arrogant guy who always knows everything better. And
> you're impossible to have a conversation with because the chips on
> your shoulder always interfere.
>
> I'm going to assume that's not a Hawaiian thing, it's just you.

Welcome to the party pal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:18:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:08:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Look in the mirror in you wish to see pure arrogance. You're just not used to seeing a colored person that's unabashedly proud of their culture. That doesn't mean I look down on anybody. Well, I don't trust white guys that have a lot of money and power, but cut me some slack man!

>> I don't care about your colour. I don't think about your colour. I
>> just see an arrogant guy who always knows everything better. And
>> you're impossible to have a conversation with because the chips on
>> your shoulder always interfere.
>>
>> I'm going to assume that's not a Hawaiian thing, it's just you.

>Welcome to the party pal.

Well, thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 5:08:14 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 10:31:08 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:11:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> Apparently, your contact with people is very superficial. You can't
> >> imagine people having a conversation, socializing, getting to know
> >> each other. I wondered where that social inadequacy came from. From
> >> your character or from your culture?
> >>
> >> PS: I don't disdain Hawaiian culture. I don't know anything about it.
> >> Are you a good representative? You're very arrogant. Does that mean
> >> Hawaiians are very arrogant? You look down on people not in your
> >> little group. Does that mean Hawaiians do that?

> >Look in the mirror in you wish to see pure arrogance. You're just not used to seeing a colored person that's unabashedly proud of their culture. That doesn't mean I look down on anybody. Well, I don't trust white guys that have a lot of money and power, but cut me some slack man!

> I don't care about your colour. I don't think about your colour. I
> just see an arrogant guy who always knows everything better. And
> you're impossible to have a conversation with because the chips on
> your shoulder always interfere.

Proof positive that it takes one to know one.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 02:56:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 5:08:14 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 13:59:58 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Look in the mirror in you wish to see pure arrogance. You're just not used to seeing a colored person that's unabashedly proud of their culture. That doesn't mean I look down on anybody. Well, I don't trust white guys that have a lot of money and power, but cut me some slack man!

>> I don't care about your colour. I don't think about your colour. I
>> just see an arrogant guy who always knows everything better. And
>> you're impossible to have a conversation with because the chips on
>> your shoulder always interfere.

>Proof positive that it takes one to know one.

You're arrogant and have multiple chips on your shoulder? Thanks for
sharing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> i was actually manipulated into buying a frozen tv dinner today. hungry man turkey. well, it's not like home made, but it is tasty. the stuffing, mashed pots = ok. the turkey was some kind of turkey roll but edible. kernel corn as well. it's ok. but i'll stick to scratch made food as much as possible.

Those aren't too bad. I'll buy one or two occasionally but only
when they go on sale for $2.00 - $2.50 each. So convenient for a
quick no-cook meal. Try the one with 2 chicken planks and the
bourbon bbq sauce sometime. I love that sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I used to like TV dinners when I was a kid. Back in the old days, that was a good meal. These days I think they're just so-so. The only TV dinners that I like are cheap Mesican TV dinners. Beats me why I like them - the Mexicans probably think they're an insult to their food culture. I can relate to that but I still like them.

They still make those? I haven't seen them in years. I
agree...crappy mexican food but all tasted decent to me.
Maybe because everything was drowned in sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 6:48:50 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I used to like TV dinners when I was a kid. Back in the old days, that was a good meal. These days I think they're just so-so. The only TV dinners that I like are cheap Mesican TV dinners. Beats me why I like them - the Mexicans probably think they're an insult to their food culture. I can relate to that but I still like them.

> They still make those? I haven't seen them in years. I
> agree...crappy mexican food but all tasted decent to me.
> Maybe because everything was drowned in sauce.

My guess is that the Mexicans complained about those lousy enchilada and tamale TV dinners and ruined it for us non-Mexicans that thought they were ok because those things had some flavor and didn't feature as the main part some kind of weird, low quality, meat of some sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B74DxtVeBOI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Bruce
> wrote:

> Yes, they could be millionaires in disguise! Apparently, some
> millionaires are so paranoid about their money that they pretend
> they're street bums!

Here's one of those from Reno. Nowadays, you can't swing a cat without
bumping into one of his foundations. You would never have known his
wealth and orneriness from looking at him in his heyday. I'm sure I
walked right by him in casinos when I was a young man without a second
thought.
<https://www.rgj.com/story/life/2014/...ntric-reno-mil
lionaire-lavere-redfield/18814473/>

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 14:22:18 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >, Bruce
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, they could be millionaires in disguise! Apparently, some
>> millionaires are so paranoid about their money that they pretend
>> they're street bums!

>Here's one of those from Reno. Nowadays, you can't swing a cat without
>bumping into one of his foundations. You would never have known his
>wealth and orneriness from looking at him in his heyday. I'm sure I
>walked right by him in casinos when I was a young man without a second
>thought.
><https://www.rgj.com/story/life/2014/...ntric-reno-mil
>lionaire-lavere-redfield/18814473/>

Yes, that's the type. Not a street bum but you'd still never have
guessed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 4:36:47 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:54:22 AM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:

> > > The TRULY poor live in alleyways and under freeway overpasses. Rat
> > > makes a fine meal.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > at least in my area, the poor always have something to eat. the daily soup kitchen comes to mind, as well as a kitchen down on king street east and pandora . they can get clothing as well. there is also a food bank. yet there are still homeless here. the addicts, the mentally ill, etc.

> The poor in your area are fortunate.
>
> <https://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/hunger/>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Some people think that America's doing just swell. I'm the eternal optimist but it's obvious that this country is going to shit. Pretty soon it's going to pot - literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm6Vi7WdK-k

Lunch Today notbob General Cooking 13 09-06-2017 05:18 AM
Lunch today 5/13 James Silverton[_3_] General Cooking 16 17-05-2012 01:45 AM
Lunch today Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 5 11-04-2010 08:26 AM
lunch today bulka[_2_] General Cooking 11 23-09-2009 10:12 PM
Lunch today serene General Cooking 0 03-09-2006 11:56 PM