FoodBanter.com

-   -   lunch today (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/447221-lunch-today.html)

A Moose In Love 13-06-2019 02:19 PM

lunch today

pork schnitzel. the polish deli where i get the schnitzels from are of a good;quality. very tender; of course they've been run through a tenderizer. i still pound them to get them thinner. one of these days i'll try panko breadcrumbs. and corn on the cob, and fried cauliflower.
corn on the cob is now 25 cents per cob CDN. at a super market: freshco. also solid tuna 7 ounce can, unico brand is on for $1 per can.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 13-06-2019 03:20 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
> pork schnitzel. the polish deli where i get the schnitzels from are of a good;quality. very tender; of course they've been run through a tenderizer. i still pound them to get them thinner. one of these days i'll try panko breadcrumbs. and corn on the cob, and fried cauliflower.
> corn on the cob is now 25 cents per cob CDN. at a super market: freshco.. also solid tuna 7 ounce can, unico brand is on for $1 per can.

You always catch me on a Thursday, which is my day to go out to lunch.

Yesterday was quesadilla. I run home for lunch most days, which doesn't
leave me a lot of time for cooking.

Flour tortilla
Sargento sliced reduced-fat pepperjack, melted onto the tortilla
Garden Fresh Gourmet "Jack's Special Medium Salsa"
Shredded romaine lettuce

Glass of ice water

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] 13-06-2019 04:21 PM

lunch today

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 06:19:44 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>pork schnitzel. the polish deli where i get the schnitzels from are of a good;quality. very tender; of course they've been run through a tenderizer. i still pound them to get them thinner. one of these days i'll try panko breadcrumbs. and corn on the cob, and fried cauliflower.
>corn on the cob is now 25 cents per cob CDN. at a super market: freshco. also solid tuna 7 ounce can, unico brand is on for $1 per can.

I dont plan on having a lunch as it were, I had a late breakfast or
even a brunch. Just a couple of eggs scrambled with sauteed onions, I
nuked some broc until it was soft thinly slicked a little Roma and
covered it in a cheese sauce. It was wonderful.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Jack Granade 13-06-2019 04:25 PM

lunch today

On 6/13/2019 10:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I run home for lunch most days, which doesn't leave
> me a lot of time for cooking.

But..but somehow you find time to post to
Usenet all day.

dsi1[_2_] 13-06-2019 08:26 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 3:19:49 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> pork schnitzel. the polish deli where i get the schnitzels from are of a good;quality. very tender; of course they've been run through a tenderizer. i still pound them to get them thinner. one of these days i'll try panko breadcrumbs. and corn on the cob, and fried cauliflower.
> corn on the cob is now 25 cents per cob CDN. at a super market: freshco.. also solid tuna 7 ounce can, unico brand is on for $1 per can.

I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0

[email protected][_2_] 13-06-2019 08:28 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 2:26:56 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0

Were they as good as they look? The pastry looks exceptionally tasty.

Ophelia[_16_] 13-06-2019 08:31 PM

lunch today

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 3:19:49 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> pork schnitzel. the polish deli where i get the schnitzels from are of a
> good;quality. very tender; of course they've been run through a
> tenderizer. i still pound them to get them thinner. one of these days
> i'll try panko breadcrumbs. and corn on the cob, and fried cauliflower.
> corn on the cob is now 25 cents per cob CDN. at a super market: freshco.
> also solid tuna 7 ounce can, unico brand is on for $1 per can.

I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then
remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0

==

Looks good:) What is the filling?

dsi1[_2_] 13-06-2019 09:18 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:28:28 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 2:26:56 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0
> >

> Were they as good as they look? The pastry looks exceptionally tasty.

They was good. The Crisco I had was kinda old but I used it anyway. Fresh shortening would have been better but it didn't stop anybody from eating the whole pies. I added some black pepper in the crust to enhance the look as it was entirely appropriate for a meat pie.

dsi1[_2_] 13-06-2019 09:30 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 3:19:49 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > pork schnitzel. the polish deli where i get the schnitzels from are of a
> > good;quality. very tender; of course they've been run through a
> > tenderizer. i still pound them to get them thinner. one of these days
> > i'll try panko breadcrumbs. and corn on the cob, and fried cauliflower.
> > corn on the cob is now 25 cents per cob CDN. at a super market: freshco.
> > also solid tuna 7 ounce can, unico brand is on for $1 per can.

> I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then
> remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0
>
> ==
>
> Looks good:) What is the filling?

It was some kind of beef that was in the refrigerator with the usual - potatoes, onions, carrots. Next time, I'll make a filling with braised shortribs. I think that'll be kind of awesome. :)

Bruce[_28_] 13-06-2019 09:42 PM

lunch today

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:18:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:28:28 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 2:26:56 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...
>> >
>> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0
>> >

>> Were they as good as they look? The pastry looks exceptionally tasty.

>They was good. The Crisco I had was kinda old but I used it anyway.

Old crisco... The secrets of Hawaiian cooking revealed!

[email protected] 13-06-2019 10:06 PM

lunch today

On 13 Jun 2019 dsi1

>I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0

For a pie crust use pizza dough; Hawiian Calzone - SPAM, Ricotta
w/crushed pineapple, and Mozz filling.
When I'm served that typical fruit pie crust as shown I don't eat it,
I'll eat the filling if good but not that hideous fat laden sawdust
crust.

dsi1[_2_] 13-06-2019 10:14 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:42:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:18:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> Were they as good as they look? The pastry looks exceptionally tasty.

> >They was good. The Crisco I had was kinda old but I used it anyway.

> Old crisco... The secrets of Hawaiian cooking revealed!

Things are so easy in your world. In my world, I have to balance out time and expense of going out to get fresher shortening with getting those pies done. As we like to say down South, "git 'er done!"

So I got 'er done, alright.

Bruce[_28_] 13-06-2019 10:24 PM

lunch today

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:14:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:42:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:18:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >They was good. The Crisco I had was kinda old but I used it anyway.

>> Old crisco... The secrets of Hawaiian cooking revealed!

>Things are so easy in your world. In my world, I have to balance out time and expense of going out to get fresher shortening with getting those pies done. As we like to say down South, "git 'er done!"
>
>So I got 'er done, alright.

Don't we all have to balance those things? Dunno about crisco though.
It reminds me of those old school margarines that you could taste all
through the sandwich.

dsi1[_2_] 13-06-2019 10:26 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:06:45 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2019 dsi1
> >
> >I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0

> For a pie crust use pizza dough; Hawiian Calzone - SPAM, Ricotta
> w/crushed pineapple, and Mozz filling.
> When I'm served that typical fruit pie crust as shown I don't eat it,
> I'll eat the filling if good but not that hideous fat laden sawdust
> crust.

I've already done that - a shortcrust is better. Of course, that's merely my awesome opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...DBul6IodH0M7Sz

dsi1[_2_] 13-06-2019 10:29 PM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:24:55 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:14:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:42:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:18:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> Old crisco... The secrets of Hawaiian cooking revealed!

> >Things are so easy in your world. In my world, I have to balance out time and expense of going out to get fresher shortening with getting those pies done. As we like to say down South, "git 'er done!"
> >
> >So I got 'er done, alright.

> Don't we all have to balance those things? Dunno about crisco though.
> It reminds me of those old school margarines that you could taste all
> through the sandwich.

I got no problem with poor folk food. I was raised on poor folk food.

Bruce[_28_] 13-06-2019 10:41 PM

lunch today

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:24:55 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:14:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Things are so easy in your world. In my world, I have to balance out time and expense of going out to get fresher shortening with getting those pies done. As we like to say down South, "git 'er done!"
>> >
>> >So I got 'er done, alright.

>> Don't we all have to balance those things? Dunno about crisco though.
>> It reminds me of those old school margarines that you could taste all
>> through the sandwich.

>I got no problem with poor folk food. I was raised on poor folk food.

I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food. Poor people that I see
in the supermarket often seem to buy expensive prefab stuff.

Hank Rogers[_3_] 13-06-2019 11:22 PM

lunch today

Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:18:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> Were they as good as they look? The pastry looks exceptionally tasty.

>> They was good. The Crisco I had was kinda old but I used it anyway.

> Old crisco... The secrets of Hawaiian cooking revealed!

Yah, I agree. The man didn't even post the entire ingredient list,
nor any other info about the ingredients. SHAME!

But yoose didn't post any of these vital statistics ... just a snide
remark. Yoose can't help it.

Bruce[_28_] 13-06-2019 11:27 PM

lunch today

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:22:09 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:18:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> They was good. The Crisco I had was kinda old but I used it anyway.

>> Old crisco... The secrets of Hawaiian cooking revealed!
>>

>Yah, I agree. The man didn't even post the entire ingredient list,
>nor any other info about the ingredients. SHAME!
>
>But yoose didn't post any of these vital statistics ... just a snide
>remark. Yoose can't help it.

You're starting to waver, Hankie. Remember: your core business is
Popeye! Popeye and all his evils!

Hank Rogers[_3_] 13-06-2019 11:27 PM

lunch today

Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:24:55 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:14:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

>>> Don't we all have to balance those things? Dunno about crisco though.
>>> It reminds me of those old school margarines that you could taste all
>>> through the sandwich.

>> I got no problem with poor folk food. I was raised on poor folk food.

> I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food. Poor people that I see
> in the supermarket often seem to buy expensive prefab stuff.

Druce, yoose are truly an asshole. Yoose about as much of a
cockaroach as Popeye the brooklyn sailor.

Congrats ... man, yoose are the top of the heap!

Bruce[_28_] 13-06-2019 11:31 PM

lunch today

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:27:58 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> I got no problem with poor folk food. I was raised on poor folk food.

>> I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food. Poor people that I see
>> in the supermarket often seem to buy expensive prefab stuff.
>>

>Druce, yoose are truly an asshole. Yoose about as much of a
>cockaroach as Popeye the brooklyn sailor.
>
>Congrats ... man, yoose are the top of the heap!

What a strange moment to come out with that. Just because I said that
poor people often buy prefab food? That seems like an innocent
observation to me.

Hank Rogers[_3_] 13-06-2019 11:41 PM

lunch today

wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2019 dsi1
>>
>> I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but then remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0

> For a pie crust use pizza dough; Hawiian Calzone - SPAM, Ricotta
> w/crushed pineapple, and Mozz filling.
> When I'm served that typical fruit pie crust as shown I don't eat it,
> I'll eat the filling if good but not that hideous fat laden sawdust
> crust.

Popeye, yoose only eat pineapples or *** naval officers. We knows
all about yoose. Stay in yoose closet little man. Plenty of
saw-seege for yoose to eat.

dsi1[_2_] 14-06-2019 08:04 AM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:41:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:24:55 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:14:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> Don't we all have to balance those things? Dunno about crisco though.
> >> It reminds me of those old school margarines that you could taste all
> >> through the sandwich.

> >I got no problem with poor folk food. I was raised on poor folk food.

> I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food. Poor people that I see
> in the supermarket often seem to buy expensive prefab stuff.

You like to check out poor people in supermarkets? I can't tell which shoppers are poor. My guess is that a person that divides people into the rich and poor classes won't ever know what the poor, simple, folks eat.

The only time I notice what people are buying are when a man or woman in front of me in line buys a loaf of bread and a big jug of vodka. Sometimes they buy orange juice. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIVSVGMWEk

Bruce[_28_] 14-06-2019 08:29 AM

lunch today

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 00:04:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:41:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >I got no problem with poor folk food. I was raised on poor folk food.

>> I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food. Poor people that I see
>> in the supermarket often seem to buy expensive prefab stuff.

>You like to check out poor people in supermarkets?

Not particularly.

> I can't tell which shoppers are poor. My guess is that a person that
>divides people into the rich and poor classes won't ever know what the
>poor, simple, folks eat.

You made that distinction when you brought up "poor folk", so there
you go.

>The only time I notice what people are buying are when a man or woman in front of me in line buys a loaf of bread and a big jug of vodka. Sometimes they buy orange juice. :)

I sometimes see what they eat, sometimes have dinner with them,
sometimes see them come home with groceries. And I don't see them as
particularly different from me.

Ophelia[_16_] 14-06-2019 09:42 AM

lunch today

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 3:19:49 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > pork schnitzel. the polish deli where i get the schnitzels from are of
> > good;quality. very tender; of course they've been run through a
> > tenderizer. i still pound them to get them thinner. one of these days
> > i'll try panko breadcrumbs. and corn on the cob, and fried cauliflower.
> > corn on the cob is now 25 cents per cob CDN. at a super market:
> > freshco.
> > also solid tuna 7 ounce can, unico brand is on for $1 per can.

> I was going to make meat pies by filling up some dough and folding but
> then
> remembered that I had some really cute little pie tins, so...
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...nO0wb_mSNp_IL0
>
> ==
>
> Looks good:) What is the filling?

It was some kind of beef that was in the refrigerator with the usual -
potatoes, onions, carrots. Next time, I'll make a filling with braised
shortribs. I think that'll be kind of awesome. :)

====

Good luck:) Do report back:))

dsi1[_2_] 14-06-2019 09:49 AM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:30:07 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 00:04:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:41:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food. Poor people that I see
> >> in the supermarket often seem to buy expensive prefab stuff.

> >You like to check out poor people in supermarkets?

> Not particularly.
>
> > I can't tell which shoppers are poor. My guess is that a person that
> >divides people into the rich and poor classes won't ever know what the
> >poor, simple, folks eat.

> You made that distinction when you brought up "poor folk", so there
> you go.

I was talking about poor folk foods, not people. I don't see poor folks on the street or on in the stores. How do you tell them from regular people? My guess is that you can't, you just believe that you can.

> >The only time I notice what people are buying are when a man or woman in front of me in line buys a loaf of bread and a big jug of vodka. Sometimes they buy orange juice. :)

> I sometimes see what they eat, sometimes have dinner with them,
> sometimes see them come home with groceries. And I don't see them as
> particularly different from me.

You can tell a person's income from the foods they purchase? That's some goofy world you live in.

Bruce[_28_] 14-06-2019 09:58 AM

lunch today

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 01:49:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:30:07 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 00:04:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >You like to check out poor people in supermarkets?

>> Not particularly.
>>
>> > I can't tell which shoppers are poor. My guess is that a person that
>> >divides people into the rich and poor classes won't ever know what the
>> >poor, simple, folks eat.

>> You made that distinction when you brought up "poor folk", so there
>> you go.

>I was talking about poor folk foods, not people. I don't see poor folks on the street or on in the stores. How do you tell them from regular people? My guess is that you can't, you just believe that you can.

Yes, they could be millionaires in disguise! Apparently, some
millionaires are so paranoid about their money that they pretend
they're street bums!

>> >The only time I notice what people are buying are when a man or woman in front of me in line buys a loaf of bread and a big jug of vodka. Sometimes they buy orange juice. :)

>> I sometimes see what they eat, sometimes have dinner with them,
>> sometimes see them come home with groceries. And I don't see them as
>> particularly different from me.

>You can tell a person's income from the foods they purchase? That's some goofy world you live in.

I knew those people and I knew their financial situation. Why do you
deliberately misunderstanding everything? That's very goofy of you.

dsi1[_2_] 14-06-2019 10:02 AM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:58:30 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> I knew those people and I knew their financial situation. Why do you
> deliberately misunderstanding everything? That's very goofy of you.

Yoose must be their accountant. :)

Bruce[_28_] 14-06-2019 10:19 AM

lunch today

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:02:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:58:30 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I knew those people and I knew their financial situation. Why do you
>> deliberately misunderstanding everything? That's very goofy of you.

>Yoose must be their accountant. :)

No, some people talk to each other, you know. Clearly not in Hawaii,
though :)

dsi1[_2_] 14-06-2019 10:28 AM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:19:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:02:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 10:58:30 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> I knew those people and I knew their financial situation. Why do you
> >> deliberately misunderstanding everything? That's very goofy of you.

> >Yoose must be their accountant. :)

> No, some people talk to each other, you know. Clearly not in Hawaii,
> though :)

"Hi, how are you - how much money do you have?"

Bruce[_28_] 14-06-2019 10:35 AM

lunch today

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:28:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:19:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 02:02:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Yoose must be their accountant. :)

>> No, some people talk to each other, you know. Clearly not in Hawaii,
>> though :)

>"Hi, how are you - how much money do you have?"

You must have very superficial contact with people. Is that a Hawaiian
thing or just you?

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-06-2019 11:28 AM

lunch today

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 6:31:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:27:58 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> I don't know what qualifies as poor folk food. Poor people that I see
> >> in the supermarket often seem to buy expensive prefab stuff.
> >>

> >Druce, yoose are truly an asshole. Yoose about as much of a
> >cockaroach as Popeye the brooklyn sailor.
> >
> >Congrats ... man, yoose are the top of the heap!

> What a strange moment to come out with that. Just because I said that
> poor people often buy prefab food? That seems like an innocent
> observation to me.

Well-off people often buy prefab food, too. There are thousands
of high-end frozen entrees at the grocery store, most touting their
healthfulness.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 14-06-2019 11:46 AM

lunch today

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 03:28:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 6:31:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:27:58 -0500, Hank Rogers >
>> wrote:

>> >Druce, yoose are truly an asshole. Yoose about as much of a
>> >cockaroach as Popeye the brooklyn sailor.
>> >
>> >Congrats ... man, yoose are the top of the heap!

>> What a strange moment to come out with that. Just because I said that
>> poor people often buy prefab food? That seems like an innocent
>> observation to me.

>Well-off people often buy prefab food, too. There are thousands
>of high-end frozen entrees at the grocery store, most touting their
>healthfulness.

Yes, we live in different countries.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-06-2019 12:05 PM

lunch today

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 6:46:52 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 03:28:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 6:31:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> What a strange moment to come out with that. Just because I said that
> >> poor people often buy prefab food? That seems like an innocent
> >> observation to me.

> >Well-off people often buy prefab food, too. There are thousands
> >of high-end frozen entrees at the grocery store, most touting their
> >healthfulness.

> Yes, we live in different countries.

Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
grocery sto

<https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 14-06-2019 12:20 PM

lunch today

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:05:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 6:46:52 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 03:28:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Well-off people often buy prefab food, too. There are thousands
>> >of high-end frozen entrees at the grocery store, most touting their
>> >healthfulness.

>> Yes, we live in different countries.

>Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
>grocery sto
>
><https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-06-2019 12:27 PM

lunch today

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 7:20:48 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:05:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 6:46:52 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 03:28:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Yes, we live in different countries.

> >Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
> >grocery sto
> >
> ><https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

> The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
> potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
> healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
> not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

Cooking takes time. Poor people often have less time available than
rich people. They have less money to convert into time, so the rational
decision is to prioritize food.

Cooking takes equipment. The really poor might not even have a full kitchen.
Slightly less poor people move frequently, so have fewer possessions.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 14-06-2019 12:54 PM

lunch today

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 7:20:48 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:05:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
>> >grocery sto
>> >
>> ><https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

>> The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
>> potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
>> healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
>> not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

>Cooking takes time. Poor people often have less time available than
>rich people. They have less money to convert into time, so the rational
>decision is to prioritize food.
>
>Cooking takes equipment. The really poor might not even have a full kitchen.
>Slightly less poor people move frequently, so have fewer possessions.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

A Moose In Love 14-06-2019 01:21 PM

lunch today

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 7:54:59 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 7:20:48 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 04:05:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
> >> potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
> >> healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
> >> not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

> >Cooking takes time. Poor people often have less time available than
> >rich people. They have less money to convert into time, so the rational
> >decision is to prioritize food.
> >
> >Cooking takes equipment. The really poor might not even have a full kitchen.
> >Slightly less poor people move frequently, so have fewer possessions.

> Sorry, but that's nonsense.

i don't have much of a kitchen. i can get many things done though. i use a cheap serrated knife for cutting veggies; a cheap knife for cutting and trimming raw meat. my small sauce pan got lost in a move and instead of buying a new one, i now boil my eggs in a deepish frying pan. when i put the egg(s) in, the water only covers half of the egg; i top it with a lid and eggs come out fine. etc. i can make stir frys, stews, soups from scratch etc. and i don't consider myself poor, but poor is relative. i'm not as wealthy as trump is.

Gary 14-06-2019 01:22 PM

lunch today

Bruce wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >Well-off people often buy prefab food, too. There are thousands
> >of high-end frozen entrees at the grocery store, most touting their
> >healthfulness.

> Yes, we live in different countries.

The grocery stores now have huge frozen dinner sections, as Cindy
mentioned. Many these days are actually pretty healthy and good
"fast food" for people that don't have much spare time to home
cook every meal. It's a decent compromise. At least healthier
then BK or McD, etc.

Frozen dinners got a bad rap just from the early days when only
Swanson or Banquet dinners were sold.

There are certain days, I come home completely exhausted. I'll
take a shower and eat an easy frozen dinner vs spending an hour
cooking from stupid scratch. On some of those days, I'll just
skip eating altogether rather than bother. I've learned to have
something easy on hand though.

I'm a very big fan of "just toss it in the microwave." It can be
cooking while you shower.

Gary 14-06-2019 01:24 PM

lunch today

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> > Yes, we live in different countries.

> Yes, you live in the one where you don't look in the freezer case at the
> grocery sto
> <https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/the-healthiest-frozen-meals-according-to-a-nutritionist/news-story/aff3ea7a767c6b9065f538df2fd5a88a>

Even retired people don't want the trouble to cook from scratch
every single day. The frozen food sections are worth checking out
these days.

Alternatively, I often cook large in order to make my own frozen
dinners but only on days off when I plenty of time. I'm going to
make another gallon of pea soup either this morning or tomorrow
morning. I really like that stuff and good to have some in the
freezer. Frozen in pint containers which is often enough for 2
meals.

Gary 14-06-2019 01:25 PM

lunch today

Bruce wrote:

> The point is that prefab food is expensive. If you buy real food, like
> potatoes, beans, vegetables that are in season etc., you can cook
> healthy meals that are cheap. But I often see people who are clearly
> not well off, buy expensive prefab stuff.

For many green vegetables, I've switched to frozen...next best
thing to fresh. Have you ever priced fresh veggies in a grocery
store? Ridiculous prices so often.

Have you tried yellow squash yet? I love it and will buy on sale
for 79 cents a pound but most times it sells for like $1.79 a
pound. I won't pay that. Same thing (and prices) just for iceberg
lettuce.

The truly poor do grow all their own vegetables, raise chickens
for eggs and meat, and also hunt to suppliment the meat issue.
This is only for rural people with some land. City poor don't
have that option.