Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch today

Lin made some ras al hanout a while back, and it was sitting there in the
pantry looking all forlorn, so I decided to use some of it: I sprinkled
chicken thighs with salt and ras al hanout. I warmed the tagine with a
little olive oil over medium-low heat, then added the chicken thighs skin
side down. While the pan was coming up to temperature, I sliced an onion and
finely chopped a preserved lemon, both of which went on top of the chicken.
Then I very lightly drizzled honey over, covered the tagine, and allowed to
cook for about 50 minutes. At the 45-minute point, I peeled the bottom
section of a small bunch of asparagus, then cut it into two-inch lengths. At
the 50-minute point I added that asparagus to the tagine, covered it back
up, and cooked until the asparagus was tender, which took 15 minutes.

Lin doesn't like cous-cous, so we had challah alongside. Dessert was a leaf
from our chocolate mint plant, which is doing quite nicely.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 9, 2:56*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Lin made some ras al hanout a while back, and it was sitting there in the
> pantry looking all forlorn, so I decided to use some of it: I sprinkled
> chicken thighs with salt and ras al hanout. I warmed the tagine with a
> little olive oil over medium-low heat, then added the chicken thighs skin
> side down. While the pan was coming up to temperature, I sliced an onion and
> finely chopped a preserved lemon, both of which went on top of the chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

>Dear Bob,
>About that preserved lemon . . . I gotta know.
>
>I have two jars in my refrigerator. Neither one has been opened. One
>is full of "preserved lemons" I prepared many (many) months ago.
>I've been kinda afraid to open it. It's from a recipe in my reputable
>Moroccan cookbook. The only thing in there is a whole lot of salt,
>unpeeled lemons cut in quarters and some garlic cloves.
>
>The other jar came from my Asian/American store and it's the second
>jar of imported preserved lemons I've bought. I bought and opened the
>first jar a couple of years ago. It came from someplace asian . It
>was definitely not something I wanted to cook with. Smelled very
>acrid and "chemical". I pitched it. The second jar is from
>Thailand, "Double Horses Brand". Contains: "lemon, water, salt,
>citric acid. sodium benzoate and sodium metabisulphite as
>preservatives". The photo on the can is of some beautiful small
>limes. Inside the jar are small, whole, smooth, yellow-greenish
>fruits in clear liquid (not syrupy).

>Are these ANYTHING like the preserved lemon you use with your tagine

I would toss the store-bought preserved lemons. I have never
found commercial preserved lemons that were anywhere near as
good as ones made at home. They're easy to make, too, and we
use them for up to a year (usually make them in the January to March
time frame and then use them all year, although we haven't yet
started this year's batch).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:56:31 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Lin made some ras al hanout a while back, and it was sitting there in the
>pantry looking all forlorn, so I decided to use some of it: I sprinkled
>chicken thighs with salt and ras al hanout. I warmed the tagine with a
>little olive oil over medium-low heat, then added the chicken thighs skin
>side down. While the pan was coming up to temperature, I sliced an onion and
>finely chopped a preserved lemon, both of which went on top of the chicken.
>Then I very lightly drizzled honey over, covered the tagine, and allowed to
>cook for about 50 minutes. At the 45-minute point, I peeled the bottom
>section of a small bunch of asparagus, then cut it into two-inch lengths. At
>the 50-minute point I added that asparagus to the tagine, covered it back
>up, and cooked until the asparagus was tender, which took 15 minutes.
>
>Lin doesn't like cous-cous, so we had challah alongside. Dessert was a leaf
>from our chocolate mint plant, which is doing quite nicely.

I had to Google Ras el Hanout. Looks like a good mixture to keep on
hand for those Moroccan style dishes I'm making now that I have
preserved lemon on hand. Thanks for the name, I wasn't familiar with
it.

Ras el Hanout
http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/raselhanout.html

This streamlined version includes many of the main spices of the
traditional mixture.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
I teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Preparation:
In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients until combined well.
Spice blend keeps in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1
month.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:42:43 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>Dear Bob,
>About that preserved lemon . . . I gotta know.
>
>I have two jars in my refrigerator. Neither one has been opened. One
>is full of "preserved lemons" I prepared many (many) months ago.
>I've been kinda afraid to open it. It's from a recipe in my reputable
>Moroccan cookbook. The only thing in there is a whole lot of salt,
>unpeeled lemons cut in quarters and some garlic cloves.

Don't be afraid, use them! Strip the pulp off and rinse the rind
well.

>What do your lemons look like? Did you make them yourself? What color
>are they ? Whole or cut?

<snip>
>Yes, I have Googled this. I was less than successful.

I googled preserved lemon too and then dove in to make it. How badly
could I screw up? Mine didn't turn out as pretty as Koko's did
though. I used Kosher salt which didn't fully dissolve... maybe that
means I used too much. It didn't seem like a lot. I'd never seen a
preserved lemon before, so I was surprised by their jell-like look.
They are ready to use in two weeks (mine are Meyer lemons, so they
have thin skins) and translucent in a month. I decided that since I'm
throwing away the pulp anyway, I'd use the rinds from lemons I'd
juiced for other purposes to replenish and it's working out.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn wrote:

> I have two jars in my refrigerator. Neither one has been opened. One
> is full of "preserved lemons" I prepared many (many) months ago.
> I've been kinda afraid to open it. It's from a recipe in my reputable
> Moroccan cookbook. The only thing in there is a whole lot of salt,
> unpeeled lemons cut in quarters and some garlic cloves.
>
> The other jar came from my Asian/American store and it's the second
> jar of imported preserved lemons I've bought. I bought and opened the
> first jar a couple of years ago. It came from someplace asian . It
> was definitely not something I wanted to cook with. Smelled very
> acrid and "chemical". I pitched it. The second jar is from
> Thailand, "Double Horses Brand". Contains: "lemon, water, salt,
> citric acid. sodium benzoate and sodium metabisulphite as
> preservatives". The photo on the can is of some beautiful small
> limes. Inside the jar are small, whole, smooth, yellow-greenish
> fruits in clear liquid (not syrupy).
>
> Are these ANYTHING like the preserved lemon you use with your tagine
> There are two (!) African stores in town. I have tried them both a
> couple of times, but they're always out. I don't speak Somali, or
> (Moroccan-style) French or Sudanese or whatever it is they speak in
> the stores and their English is quite newly acquired so I can't really
> ask them to describe what they sell.
>
> What do your lemons look like? Did you make them yourself? What color
> are they ? Whole or cut? With or without Italian Roses? If
> commercial, what's the brand? Yes, I have Googled this. I was less
> than successful.
> Thanking you (again) for your expertise,

I made my preserved lemons back in January, adapting a Hubert Keller recipe:

4 lemons, cut lengthwise into 6 wedges each
10 fresh bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons salt
2 cups fresh lemon juice

1. In a large jar (approximately 1.5 quart), place wedges of 2 lemons, and
top with 1 tablespoon salt, 1 cinnamon stick, and 5 bay leaves; shake the
jar.
2. Top with remaining lemon wedges, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and salt.
Pour lemon juice over to fill jar, and place lid on tightly.
3. Shake the jar well. Store in a dark place for 7 days, shaking the jar
well once each day.
4. After 7 days, your lemons are ready to be used.

Your Thai preserved lemons might be pretty close, though they won't have the
bay leaves or the cinnamon I added. They're still bright yellow.

Bob