Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch Today

On 2017-06-08, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Starting with a good sized wedge of iceberg lettuce previously soaked
> in ice water then spun in a salad spinner. Topping the lettuce with
> homemade very chunky blue cheese dressing, then finishing off with a
> goodly amount of diced roma tomato.....

Sounds good. I've been eating more and more salads, of late. Last
night I had broccoli crowns, iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion, and diced
cucumber bits topped with some Italian dressing (all organic).

I'm trying to reduce my intake of glyphosate, mostly in the form of
wheat (that stuff containing gluten). It is now sprayed on wheat
(only!) jes prior to harvest. It acts as a "desiccant", killing the
wheat plant and forcing the plant to put its last dying breath into
greater seed production. This has nothing to do with GMO's. This
gives the farmer a bigger wheat crop yield while giving the consumer
more and more glyphosate to ingest. Some call it "non-Celiac disease
gluten sensetivity". I call it "eating even MORE poison!"

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2017 9:46 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 08 Jun 2017 09:42:04a, notbob told us...
>
>> On 2017-06-08, Wayne Boatwright >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Starting with a good sized wedge of iceberg lettuce previously
>>> soaked in ice water then spun in a salad spinner. Topping the
>>> lettuce with homemade very chunky blue cheese dressing, then
>>> finishing off with a goodly amount of diced roma tomato.....

>> Sounds good. I've been eating more and more salads, of late.
>> Last night I had broccoli crowns, iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion,
>> and diced cucumber bits topped with some Italian dressing (all
>> organic).
>>
>> I'm trying to reduce my intake of glyphosate, mostly in the form
>> of wheat (that stuff containing gluten). It is now sprayed on
>> wheat (only!) jes prior to harvest. It acts as a "desiccant",
>> killing the wheat plant and forcing the plant to put its last
>> dying breath into greater seed production. This has nothing to do
>> with GMO's. This gives the farmer a bigger wheat crop yield while
>> giving the consumer more and more glyphosate to ingest. Some call
>> it "non-Celiac disease gluten sensetivity". I call it "eating
>> even MORE poison!"
>>
>> nb
>>

> I'll take your word for it, but it hasn't seemed to have had any
> effect on me, at least no yet.

of course not. Such use of glyphosate for desiccation is not very
common at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 8. Juni 2017 18:51:43 UTC+2 schrieb Taxed and Spent:
> On 6/8/2017 9:46 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > On Thu 08 Jun 2017 09:42:04a, notbob told us...

> >> Sounds good. I've been eating more and more salads, of late.
> >> Last night I had broccoli crowns, iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion,
> >> and diced cucumber bits topped with some Italian dressing (all
> >> organic).
> >>
> >> I'm trying to reduce my intake of glyphosate, mostly in the form
> >> of wheat (that stuff containing gluten). It is now sprayed on
> >> wheat (only!) jes prior to harvest. It acts as a "desiccant",
> >> killing the wheat plant and forcing the plant to put its last
> >> dying breath into greater seed production. This has nothing to do
> >> with GMO's. This gives the farmer a bigger wheat crop yield while
> >> giving the consumer more and more glyphosate to ingest. Some call
> >> it "non-Celiac disease gluten sensetivity". I call it "eating
> >> even MORE poison!"
> >>
> >> nb
> >>

> > I'll take your word for it, but it hasn't seemed to have had any
> > effect on me, at least no yet.
> >

> of course not. Such use of glyphosate for desiccation is not very
> common at all.

Sadly, it is here in Europe. For potatoes, too.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jun 2017 16:42:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-06-08, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Starting with a good sized wedge of iceberg lettuce previously soaked
>> in ice water then spun in a salad spinner. Topping the lettuce with
>> homemade very chunky blue cheese dressing, then finishing off with a
>> goodly amount of diced roma tomato.....

>Sounds good. I've been eating more and more salads, of late. Last
>night I had broccoli crowns, iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion, and diced
>cucumber bits topped with some Italian dressing (all organic).
>
>I'm trying to reduce my intake of glyphosate, mostly in the form of
>wheat (that stuff containing gluten). It is now sprayed on wheat
>(only!) jes prior to harvest. It acts as a "desiccant", killing the
>wheat plant and forcing the plant to put its last dying breath into
>greater seed production. This has nothing to do with GMO's. This
>gives the farmer a bigger wheat crop yield while giving the consumer
>more and more glyphosate to ingest. Some call it "non-Celiac disease
>gluten sensetivity". I call it "eating even MORE poison!"
>
>nb

How is this done? Aerial spraying? That's a pretty expensive outlay.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jun 2017 16:42:04 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-06-08, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Starting with a good sized wedge of iceberg lettuce previously soaked
>> in ice water then spun in a salad spinner. Topping the lettuce with
>> homemade very chunky blue cheese dressing, then finishing off with a
>> goodly amount of diced roma tomato.....

>Sounds good. I've been eating more and more salads, of late. Last
>night I had broccoli crowns, iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion, and diced
>cucumber bits topped with some Italian dressing (all organic).
>
>I'm trying to reduce my intake of glyphosate, mostly in the form of
>wheat (that stuff containing gluten). It is now sprayed on wheat
>(only!) jes prior to harvest. It acts as a "desiccant", killing the
>wheat plant and forcing the plant to put its last dying breath into
>greater seed production. This has nothing to do with GMO's. This
>gives the farmer a bigger wheat crop yield while giving the consumer
>more and more glyphosate to ingest. Some call it "non-Celiac disease
>gluten sensetivity". I call it "eating even MORE poison!"
>
>nb

Snopes has a lot to say about this assertion.
http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/roundupwheat.asp
Iffy, iffy, iffy on many levels from the original blogger.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> How is this done? Aerial spraying? That's a pretty expensive outlay.

Perhaps a tractor with spray-bars. Who knows ....or cares!? If it
increases the farmers yield, per acre (more $$$$!), he's gonna do it,
regardless of how.

Fact is, it's yet another application of glyphosate (Round-Up) to an
already inundated (prolly GMO) wheat crop. Ingest at yer own risk.

What informed me of this practice is a documentary called, "What's
With Wheat". Sure, it has its faults --like the producer charging
$70USD to provide you with a wheat-free diet-- but, why have some
diseases increased so rapidly (breast/prostate cancer, autism, etc).
Why do we have huge "dead zones" in the Gulf and Hudson Bay?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> Snopes has a lot to say about this assertion.

Well, of course. And Snopes.com has NEVER been shown to be
mistaken.

I didn't say I believed every word of my assertions, merely that I had
watched a documentary. If you believe glyphosate is completely
harmless, munch away. It's yer bod, therefore yer choice. Amazing
how that works.

Bottom line, eating less processed and wheat-centric foods and eating
more whole veggies cannot be bad. I loved the part of the documentary
that had an Aussie chef, who stated, "When I'd ask any person if they
would eliminate wheat from their diet, their overwhelming response was
one of 'fear'. OMG! ....what will I eat!?" Turns out I didn't need
the producer's $70 diet, I jes quit eating non-organic wheat. No
biggie, really.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 1:42:46 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
> > How is this done? Aerial spraying? That's a pretty expensive outlay.

> Perhaps a tractor with spray-bars. Who knows ....or cares!? If it
> increases the farmers yield, per acre (more $$$$!), he's gonna do it,
> regardless of how.
>
> Fact is, it's yet another application of glyphosate (Round-Up) to an
> already inundated (prolly GMO) wheat crop. Ingest at yer own risk.
>
> What informed me of this practice is a documentary called, "What's
> With Wheat". Sure, it has its faults --like the producer charging
> $70USD to provide you with a wheat-free diet-- but, why have some
> diseases increased so rapidly (breast/prostate cancer, autism, etc).

Because people aren't dying of other causes before cancer gets them.
Because people aren't locking their autistic children in the attic
and pretending they don't exist.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jun 2017 17:42:42 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> How is this done? Aerial spraying? That's a pretty expensive outlay.

>Perhaps a tractor with spray-bars. Who knows ....or cares!? If it
>increases the farmers yield, per acre (more $$$$!), he's gonna do it,
>regardless of how.
>
>Fact is, it's yet another application of glyphosate (Round-Up) to an
>already inundated (prolly GMO) wheat crop. Ingest at yer own risk.
>
>What informed me of this practice is a documentary called, "What's
>With Wheat". Sure, it has its faults --like the producer charging
>$70USD to provide you with a wheat-free diet-- but, why have some
>diseases increased so rapidly (breast/prostate cancer, autism, etc).
>Why do we have huge "dead zones" in the Gulf and Hudson Bay?
>
>nb

Wheat isn't grown that way. You can't just run a tractor up and down
the fully grown wheat without destroying the majority of the crop.
Harvesting is pretty much like mowing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> Wheat isn't grown that way.

Since it appears yyou know so much about it, why are you asking me?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 1:42:46 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> > On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:
> >
> > > How is this done? Aerial spraying? That's a pretty expensive
> > > outlay.

> > Perhaps a tractor with spray-bars. Who knows ....or cares!? If it
> > increases the farmers yield, per acre (more $$$$!), he's gonna do
> > it, regardless of how.
> >
> > Fact is, it's yet another application of glyphosate (Round-Up) to an
> > already inundated (prolly GMO) wheat crop. Ingest at yer own risk.
> >
> > What informed me of this practice is a documentary called, "What's
> > With Wheat". Sure, it has its faults --like the producer charging
> > $70USD to provide you with a wheat-free diet-- but, why have some
> > diseases increased so rapidly (breast/prostate cancer, autism, etc).

> Because people aren't dying of other causes before cancer gets them.
> Because people aren't locking their autistic children in the attic
> and pretending they don't exist.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

This is true in a round about way. It's well tracked that in certain
age groups before better medical care came about, there would be a
derth of women due to child birth deaths, a major killer especially
cultures who took to solving it by marrying the girls off earlier and
earlier (raising the rate of death in child birth because they were not
physically grown up yet). They only swapped the other way after the
child birth years were past when the women survived longer than the men
and started to generally out number them (hunting accidents took a
steady toll then go up presumably as the men got older and less able).

Anyways, a lot of that is bronze age and stopped pretty much by the
1700's. The better the nutrition and the older the women were on first
child, the less dramatic it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2017 12:51 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> I'm trying to reduce my intake of glyphosate, mostly in the form
>>> of wheat (that stuff containing gluten). It is now sprayed on
>>> wheat (only!) jes prior to harvest. It acts as a "desiccant",
>>> killing the wheat plant and forcing the plant to put its last
>>> dying breath into greater seed production. This has nothing to do
>>> with GMO's. This gives the farmer a bigger wheat crop yield while
>>> giving the consumer more and more glyphosate to ingest. Some call
>>> it "non-Celiac disease gluten sensetivity". I call it "eating
>>> even MORE poison!"
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> I'll take your word for it, but it hasn't seemed to have had any
>> effect on me, at least no yet.
>>

> of course not. Such use of glyphosate for desiccation is not very
> common at all.

I always wonder about those thing though. One slice of bread won't make
a difference but bread every day for 50, 60, or 70 years may.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jun 2017 21:36:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> Wheat isn't grown that way.

>Since it appears yyou know so much about it, why are you asking me?
>
>nb

I wasn't trying to be a smarty. I truly thought everyone knew what a
wheat field looked like. Grain fields are pretty much like a grass
lawn only taller, a couple maybe 3 feet tall.
I asked because I had never heard of such a practice. I researched
some and found that it is done in Europe and Canada.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jun 2017 18:15:57 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-06-08, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> Snopes has a lot to say about this assertion.

>Well, of course. And Snopes.com has NEVER been shown to be
>mistaken.
>
>I didn't say I believed every word of my assertions, merely that I had
>watched a documentary. If you believe glyphosate is completely
>harmless, munch away. It's yer bod, therefore yer choice. Amazing
>how that works.
>
>Bottom line, eating less processed and wheat-centric foods and eating
>more whole veggies cannot be bad. I loved the part of the documentary
>that had an Aussie chef, who stated, "When I'd ask any person if they
>would eliminate wheat from their diet, their overwhelming response was
>one of 'fear'. OMG! ....what will I eat!?" Turns out I didn't need
>the producer's $70 diet, I jes quit eating non-organic wheat. No
>biggie, really.
>
>nb

Apparently this practice does occur in some places in Europe and
Canada. Farmers are compensating for a short growing season. I find
that appalling. There's a reason why rye was so prevalent in short,
cool season areas. Rye is suited to those kind of growing conditions.
Janet US

Lunch today cshenk General Cooking 2 12-06-2016 11:39 PM
Lunch today George Leppla General Cooking 31 27-08-2009 05:21 AM
Today's lunch serene General Cooking 0 02-03-2006 05:46 AM