Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch today 5/13

Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab bread
toasted; the result was fine!
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

>Today, I had a yen for a BLT.
>I had tomatoes and mayo but only
>frozen Arab bread and sliced ham.

Freakin' A-rabs are gonna hack your head off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-13 21:13:18 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> Today, I had a yen for a BLT.
>> I had tomatoes and mayo but only
>> frozen Arab bread and sliced ham.

> Freakin' A-rabs are gonna hack your head off.

What a quick wit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen Arab
> bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab bread
> toasted; the result was fine!
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

I don't have any idea what "Arab" bread is. I do understand the concept of
a BLT but when made with ham shouldn't it be an HLT?

I had a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 May 2012 19:22:33 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> > Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen Arab
> > bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab bread
> > toasted; the result was fine!
> > --
> > Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
> >

> I don't have any idea what "Arab" bread is. I do understand the concept of
> a BLT but when made with ham shouldn't it be an HLT?
>
> I had a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch.

It never ceases to amaze me at how much prosciutto tastes like bacon
after it has crisped up a little.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-13 23:22:33 +0000, jmcquown said:

>> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
>> Arab bread and sliced ham€¦

> I don't have any idea what "Arab" bread is.

Since it's frozen, I'm gonna guess it's pita bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/13/2012 7:22 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
>> Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab
>> bread toasted; the result was fine!
>> --
>> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>>

> I don't have any idea what "Arab" bread is. I do understand the concept
> of a BLT but when made with ham shouldn't it be an HLT?
>
> I had a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup for lunch.
>
> Jill

Arab (or Afghan) bread is a very thin leavened bread readily available
around DC.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
> Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab bread
> toasted; the result was fine!

Pita bread? I believe that. Many of the sandwiches I have made
with pita bread have been superior, IMO. The ratio of bread to
filling is terrific.

Did you crisp the ham a bit? (Now I am thinking of an intensely
flavored chip [in US speak] for emergency bacon.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2012 16:51:45 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
>> Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab bread
>> toasted; the result was fine!

> Pbbbt. So you had a ham and tomato sandwich. That's a far cry from a
> BLT.
>
> Now *I* had a "BLT Plus+". BLT with turkey, swiss, peperoncinis, and
> mayo on a toasted sourdough sub roll (American bread?). With tater
> tots.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

Hmmm. Yours is farther afield than the one James posted was.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2012 8:51 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
>> Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab
>> bread toasted; the result was fine!

> Pita bread? I believe that. Many of the sandwiches I have made with pita
> bread have been superior, IMO. The ratio of bread to filling is terrific.
>
> Did you crisp the ham a bit? (Now I am thinking of an intensely flavored
> chip [in US speak] for emergency bacon.)

Yes, I did fry the ham until it crisped some. Arab bread, as I think I
said, is not pita. It is just leavened dough about half an inch thick
and, from what I have seen on TV, is the normal form of bread in Arab
countries. There, it seems be sold in pizza sized rounds but here it
comes in slabs about 2 feet by 9 inches. Relatively, it has a lot more
crust than regular loaves and makes great toast and French Toast too. It
also freezes well and can be toasted and defrosted in a regular toaster.
Usually, I cut it into smaller pieces for freezing.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2012 16:51:45 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
>> Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab bread
>> toasted; the result was fine!

> Pbbbt. So you had a ham and tomato sandwich. That's a far cry from a
> BLT.
>
> Now *I* had a "BLT Plus+". BLT with turkey, swiss, peperoncinis, and
> mayo on a toasted sourdough sub roll (American bread?). With tater
> tots.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

I go for BLTO, onion.

Today I had a baloney sandwich for lunch, with lettuce. No breakfast.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 8:31*pm, gregz > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 May 2012 16:51:45 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> >> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
> >> Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab bread
> >> toasted; the result was fine!

> > Pbbbt. *So you had a ham and tomato sandwich. *That's a far cry from a
> > BLT.

> > Now *I* had a "BLT Plus+". *BLT with turkey, swiss, peperoncinis, and
> > mayo on a toasted sourdough sub roll (American bread?). *With tater
> > tots.

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

> > -sw

> I go for BLTO, onion.
>
> Today I had a baloney sandwich for lunch, with lettuce. No breakfast.
>
> Greg

Beats me. I had a wish sandwich. 2 pieces of white bread and I wished
I had something between them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> Beats me. I had a wish sandwich. 2 pieces of white bread and I wished
> I had something between them.

Air on white. Excellent choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On May 15, 8:31 pm, gregz > wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Pbbbt. So you had a ham and tomato sandwich. That's a far cry from a
>>> BLT.

>>> Now *I* had a "BLT Plus+". BLT with turkey, swiss, peperoncinis, and
>>> mayo on a toasted sourdough sub roll (American bread?). With tater
>>> tots.

>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

>>> -sw

>> I go for BLTO, onion.
>>
>> Today I had a baloney sandwich for lunch, with lettuce. No breakfast.
>>
>> Greg

> Beats me. I had a wish sandwich. 2 pieces of white bread and I wished
> I had something between them.

I bought a loaf of rustic wheat from the bread works, Pittsburgh. I was
going to get Jewish rye, but I eyed up that hard crust chewy bread. They
probably have the best bread here. So far, butter, and peanut butter and
jelly.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 5/15/2012 8:51 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>> Today, I had a yen for a BLT. I had tomatoes and mayo but only frozen
>>> Arab bread and sliced ham. The ham was fried quickly and the Arab
>>> bread toasted; the result was fine!

>> Pita bread? I believe that. Many of the sandwiches I have made with pita
>> bread have been superior, IMO. The ratio of bread to filling is terrific.
>>
>> Did you crisp the ham a bit? (Now I am thinking of an intensely flavored
>> chip [in US speak] for emergency bacon.)
>>

> Yes, I did fry the ham until it crisped some. Arab bread, as I think I
> said, is not pita. It is just leavened dough about half an inch thick
> and, from what I have seen on TV, is the normal form of bread in Arab
> countries. There, it seems be sold in pizza sized rounds but here it
> comes in slabs about 2 feet by 9 inches. Relatively, it has a lot more
> crust than regular loaves and makes great toast and French Toast too. It
> also freezes well and can be toasted and defrosted in a regular toaster.
> Usually, I cut it into smaller pieces for freezing.

Thanks for elaborating.

--
Jean B.