Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner on the fly.

I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need to
eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green beans.
I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the beans in
water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill* Steam them! I
opted for the boiling water.

Original recipe uses ground beef, the partially cooked green beans and a
sliced onion. I added two bell peppers that had an accident so needed to be
used soon and a good handful of grape tomatoes. Stir fry all with a little
garlic in sesame oil. I did mostly peanut with a little sesame as I find
sesame to be overwhelming. Add some beef broth or water and beef powder, 1 T
molasses and 3 T. soy sauce. Cornstarch (I used sweet rice flour) to make a
gravy. Some reviewers claimed it needed more seasoning so I added salt,
black pepper and a touch more garlic.

Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good but if I were making it just for
me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would prefer a
plain brown gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 21:27:16 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need to
> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef....

So this is your newest At Death's Door - fatty liver? <yawn>

The last thing you should be buying is beef, let alone
bacteria-ridden marked down beef. There's a reason it's partially
brown (or about to be).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 May 2019 21:27:16 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
>> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef....

> So this is your newest At Death's Door - fatty liver? <yawn>

I'm not at death's door. And it's not a new condition.

> The last thing you should be buying is beef, let alone
> bacteria-ridden marked down beef. There's a reason it's partially
> brown (or about to be).

I wasn't brown and it's not bacteria laden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 May 2019 23:10:42 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 23 May 2019 21:27:16 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
>>> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef....

>> So this is your newest At Death's Door - fatty liver? <yawn>

> I'm not at death's door. And it's not a new condition.
>>
>> The last thing you should be buying is beef, let alone
>> bacteria-ridden marked down beef. There's a reason it's partially
>> brown (or about to be).

> I wasn't brown and it's not bacteria laden.

Yes. it was. It was bacteria-laden as soon as it was killed. 26
days later it's even more bacteria laden.

That is a fact no matter how much you care to deny it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:27:23 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need to
> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat.

What junk science web site did you get this from?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-24 4:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:27:23 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need to
>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat.

> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 05:13:48 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-05-24 4:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:27:23 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need to
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat.

>> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

That question tells me your IQ is a lot lower.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:
> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need to
> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green beans.
> I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the beans in
> water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill* Steam them! I
> opted for the boiling water.
>
> Original recipe uses ground beef, the partially cooked green beans and a
> sliced onion. I added two bell peppers that had an accident so needed to be
> used soon and a good handful of grape tomatoes. Stir fry all with a little
> garlic in sesame oil. I did mostly peanut with a little sesame as I find
> sesame to be overwhelming. Add some beef broth or water and beef powder, 1 T
> molasses and 3 T. soy sauce. Cornstarch (I used sweet rice flour) to make a
> gravy. Some reviewers claimed it needed more seasoning so I added salt,
> black pepper and a touch more garlic.
>
> Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good but if I were making it just for
> me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would prefer a
> plain brown gravy.

This may be the worst recipe Ive ever seen if you want to heal your fatty
liver! No red meat (ground beef), no sugars (molasses), no sodium (soy
sauce, beef broth, plus extra salt), no saturated fat (peanut and sesame
oil) and low calorie (this isnt it). At least you served it over brown
rice. Its this recipes only liver saving grace. Please get your diet
information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
onions and celery).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 14:40:44 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx wrote:

> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need to
>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
>> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green beans.
>> I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the beans in
>> water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill* Steam them! I
>> opted for the boiling water.
>>
>> Original recipe uses ground beef, the partially cooked green beans and a
>> sliced onion. I added two bell peppers that had an accident so needed to be
>> used soon and a good handful of grape tomatoes. Stir fry all with a little
>> garlic in sesame oil. I did mostly peanut with a little sesame as I find
>> sesame to be overwhelming. Add some beef broth or water and beef powder, 1 T
>> molasses and 3 T. soy sauce. Cornstarch (I used sweet rice flour) to make a
>> gravy. Some reviewers claimed it needed more seasoning so I added salt,
>> black pepper and a touch more garlic.
>>
>> Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good but if I were making it just for
>> me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would prefer a
>> plain brown gravy.
>>

> This may be the worst recipe Ive ever seen if you want to heal your fatty
> liver! No red meat (ground beef), no sugars (molasses), no sodium (soy
> sauce, beef broth, plus extra salt), no saturated fat (peanut and sesame
> oil) and low calorie (this isnt it). At least you served it over brown
> rice. Its this recipes only liver saving grace. Please get your diet
> information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
> onions and celery).

I just stopped reading at the "beef" part. Thank you for having
more patience and being more thorough :-)

ObFood: It's National Escargot Day. I may even have a can in the
pantry...

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2019 12:27 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
> to eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I
> got some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of
> green beans. I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put
> the beans in water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue
> Jill* Steam them! I opted for the boiling water.

I'd have either nuked or steamed them. I have a steamer basket that
fits in the pot. They have more flavor that way.

> Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good* but if I were making it just
> for me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would
> prefer a plain brown gravy.

I'd leave them in but probably half the amount for just a hint of their
flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-24, Jinx the Minx > wrote:

> information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
> onions and celery).

HA!

"reputable medical sites"! As if there are any.

Even the Mayo Clinic has failed (I'll relate the story, if you care).

They don't say a medical doctor has a "practice" fer no good reason.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 11:04:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>ObFood: It's National Escargot Day. I may even have a can in the
>pantry...

And remember: the bit that says "crunch" is its penis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-24 7:13 a.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-05-24 4:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:27:23 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I
>>> need to
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat.

>> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

Is there anyone here who believes she has an IQ in the genius range? I
would have pegged her at average at the very best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 21:49:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-05-24 7:13 a.m., graham wrote:
>>>
>>> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

>Is there anyone here who believes she has an IQ in the genius range? I
>would have pegged her at average at the very best.

136 is smart, but not genius.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 2019-05-24 4:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:27:23 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat.

>> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

I didn't!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-05-24 7:13 a.m., graham wrote:
>>>
>>> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

> Is there anyone here who believes she has an IQ in the genius range? I
> would have pegged her at average at the very best.

136 is not considered genius!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 May 2019 21:49:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

>>Is there anyone here who believes she has an IQ in the genius range? I
>>would have pegged her at average at the very best.

> 136 is smart, but not genius.

Right. And the thought of Dave pegging me just skeeves me out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
>> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green
>> beans.
>> I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the beans in
>> water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill* Steam
>> them! I
>> opted for the boiling water.
>>
>> Original recipe uses ground beef, the partially cooked green beans and a
>> sliced onion. I added two bell peppers that had an accident so needed to
>> be
>> used soon and a good handful of grape tomatoes. Stir fry all with a
>> little
>> garlic in sesame oil. I did mostly peanut with a little sesame as I find
>> sesame to be overwhelming. Add some beef broth or water and beef powder,
>> 1 T
>> molasses and 3 T. soy sauce. Cornstarch (I used sweet rice flour) to make
>> gravy. Some reviewers claimed it needed more seasoning so I added salt,
>> black pepper and a touch more garlic.
>>
>> Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good but if I were making it just
>> for
>> me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would prefer a
>> plain brown gravy.
>>

> This may be the worst recipe Ive ever seen if you want to heal your fatty
> liver! No red meat (ground beef), no sugars (molasses), no sodium (soy
> sauce, beef broth, plus extra salt), no saturated fat (peanut and sesame
> oil) and low calorie (this isnt it). At least you served it over brown
> rice. Its this recipes only liver saving grace. Please get your diet
> information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
> onions and celery).

I did not eat that for the fatty liver. I ate it to try to use up things
that I had in the house. I am trying to eat more onions and celery. I did
not get the onion and celery thing from a website. Both of those are good
for a fatty liver as are a lot of other fruits of vegetables but some of
those are things I can not or will not eat. Such as asparagus and Brusell
sprouts. No how, no way on those things. The recipe actually was pretty low
calorie though, as I didn't eat very much of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2019-05-24, Jinx the Minx > wrote:
>
>> information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
>> onions and celery).

> HA!
>
> "reputable medical sites"! As if there are any.
>
> Even the Mayo Clinic has failed (I'll relate the story, if you care).
>
> They don't say a medical doctor has a "practice" fer no good reason.
>
> nb

I certainly would not take dietary advice from a Dr. They have very little
training with that.

I am battling a combination of medical problems. So there isn't going to be
one diet that works for me. Best I can do is make tweaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 5/24/2019 12:27 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
>> to eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I
>> got some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green
>> beans. I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the
>> beans in water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill*
>> Steam them! I opted for the boiling water.
>>

> I'd have either nuked or steamed them. I have a steamer basket that fits
> in the pot. They have more flavor that way.

I can't stand the texture of steamed vegetables. If I were to make this dish
again, I would just throw them right in with the meat. I prefer crisp beans.

>> Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good but if I were making it just for
>> me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would prefer a
>> plain brown gravy.

> I'd leave them in but probably half the amount for just a hint of their
> flavor.

Wasn't a flavor profile I really liked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 4:09:40 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 5/24/2019 12:27 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
> >> to eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I
> >> got some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green
> >> beans. I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the
> >> beans in water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill*
> >> Steam them! I opted for the boiling water.
> >>

> > I'd have either nuked or steamed them. I have a steamer basket that fits
> > in the pot. They have more flavor that way.

> I can't stand the texture of steamed vegetables. If I were to make this dish
> again, I would just throw them right in with the meat. I prefer crisp beans.

You can steam vegetables as crisp or as soft as you prefer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2019 7:13 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-05-24 4:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:27:23 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I
>>> need to
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat.

>> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

Ah, but she didn't ask for advice!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2019 5:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 4:09:40 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>>
>>> I'd have either nuked or steamed them. I have a steamer basket that fits
>>> in the pot. They have more flavor that way.

>> I can't stand the texture of steamed vegetables. If I were to make this dish
>> again, I would just throw them right in with the meat. I prefer crisp beans.

> You can steam vegetables as crisp or as soft as you prefer.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

She such a great cook yet she hasn't figured that out yet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2019 4:04 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I
>>> need to
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I
>>> got
>>> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green
>>> beans.

(snipped)

>> This may be the worst recipe Ive ever seen if you want to heal your
>> fatty
>> liver!* No red meat (ground beef), no sugars (molasses), no sodium (soy
>> sauce, beef broth, plus extra salt), no saturated fat (peanut and sesame
>> oil) and low calorie (this isnt it). At least you served it over brown
>> rice. Its this recipes only liver saving grace. Please get your diet
>> information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
>> onions and celery).

> I did not eat that for the fatty liver. I ate it to try to use up things
> that I had in the house.

Then why on earth did you start the post by saying "I am trying to
change my diet some to heal a fatty liver."?

You also said, "I added two bell peppers that had an accident"... I
doubt anyone knows what that means.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
>>> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green
>>> beans.
>>> I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the beans in
>>> water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill* Steam
>>> them! I
>>> opted for the boiling water.
>>>
>>> Original recipe uses ground beef, the partially cooked green beans and a
>>> sliced onion. I added two bell peppers that had an accident so needed to
>>> be
>>> used soon and a good handful of grape tomatoes. Stir fry all with a
>>> little
>>> garlic in sesame oil. I did mostly peanut with a little sesame as I find
>>> sesame to be overwhelming. Add some beef broth or water and beef powder,
>>> 1 T
>>> molasses and 3 T. soy sauce. Cornstarch (I used sweet rice flour) to make
>>> gravy. Some reviewers claimed it needed more seasoning so I added salt,
>>> black pepper and a touch more garlic.
>>>
>>> Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good but if I were making it just
>>> for
>>> me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would prefer a
>>> plain brown gravy.
>>>

>> This may be the worst recipe Ive ever seen if you want to heal your fatty
>> liver! No red meat (ground beef), no sugars (molasses), no sodium (soy
>> sauce, beef broth, plus extra salt), no saturated fat (peanut and sesame
>> oil) and low calorie (this isnt it). At least you served it over brown
>> rice. Its this recipes only liver saving grace. Please get your diet
>> information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
>> onions and celery).

> I did not eat that for the fatty liver. I ate it to try to use up things
> that I had in the house. I am trying to eat more onions and celery. I did
> not get the onion and celery thing from a website. Both of those are good
> for a fatty liver as are a lot of other fruits of vegetables but some of
> those are things I can not or will not eat. Such as asparagus and Brusell
> sprouts. No how, no way on those things. The recipe actually was pretty low
> calorie though, as I didn't eat very much of it.

Sorry, my mistake. You posted first thing that you were trying to change
your diet for fatty liver. Then you said you got some marked down beef and
green beans, which implies you just bought them for this diet, not had them
and were trying to use them up. Lastly, despite being low calorie by
virtue of not eating a lot, it still wasnt the healthiest meal for fatty
liver.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2019 09:42:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/24/2019 7:13 AM, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> What junk science web site did you get this from?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

>Ah, but she didn't ask for advice!
>
>Jill

JB didnt ask for advice directly, but by posting her personal medical
information she's essentially inviting comments, opinions, and
advice... that's the nature of newsgroups... otherwise she should have
kept her personal medical information to email or better kept it to
herself and her doctor. Posting anything to a newsgroup automatically
opens it to public scrutiny with any and all responses it may draw.
That's why most don't post pictures of their cooking, they know that
they wouldn't be able to handle any comments other than "that's
wonderful".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-25 10:24 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/25/2019 4:04 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I did not eat that for the fatty liver. I ate it to try to use up
>> things that I had in the house.

> Then why on earth did you start the post by saying "I am trying to
> change my diet some to heal a fatty liver."?

It is here clever little way of asking without actually asking. She has
been nailed too many times for asking for suggestions and then
systematically rejecting every suggestion made by the well meaning
people who got sucked into trying to help her. Now she just presents
the confusing scenario and avoids asking directly.

> You also said, "I added two bell peppers that had an accident"... I
> doubt anyone knows what that means.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2019 11:14 AM, wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2019 09:42:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> With her supposed IQ, why would she ask for advice here?

>> Ah, but she didn't ask for advice!
>>
>> Jill

> JB didnt ask for advice directly, but by posting her personal medical
> information she's essentially inviting comments, opinions, and
> advice... that's the nature of newsgroups... otherwise she should have
> kept her personal medical information to email or better kept it to
> herself and her doctor. Posting anything to a newsgroup automatically
> opens it to public scrutiny with any and all responses it may draw.
> That's why most don't post pictures of their cooking, they know that
> they wouldn't be able to handle any comments other than "that's
> wonderful".

Obviously she was inviting *attention* by mentioning some medical
condition. In a subsequent post she claims it wasn't about her fatty
liver. Yet she went out of her way to mention it. She got the intended
attention seeking result, up to and including *cue Jill* when the recipe
mentioned steaming the green beans.

She shows her ignorance by saying she likes her cooked vegetables still
crisp. Apparently she doesn't know how to take vegetables being cooked
in a pot with a steamer basket off the burner when they're tender-crisp.

As for photos, some people just don't care about taking pictures of
food. I've posted many food pics over the years but really, I'd rather
eat than snap photos of it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 10:29:57 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> She shows her ignorance by saying she likes her cooked vegetables still
> crisp. Apparently she doesn't know how to take vegetables being cooked
> in a pot with a steamer basket off the burner when they're tender-crisp.

You nailed it. And if she's not sure how crisp or soft the vegetables are
there are these simply wonderful tools called paring knives or forks. They
can be used to pierce the vegetables to test for doneness!

> As for photos, some people just don't care about taking pictures of
> food. I've posted many food pics over the years but really, I'd rather
> eat than snap photos of it.
>
> Jill

Same here. I know what I'm cooking, how I like it cooked, and how I like it
served. No need to post a picture so everyone can critique the food; we're
not compiling a cookbook or working on a magazine edition to get out on the
stands. However, I do like to look at pictures anyone has shared, I just
don't feel the need to post pictures of MY food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:29:50 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/25/2019 11:14 AM, wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 May 2019 09:42:06 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Ah, but she didn't ask for advice!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> JB didnt ask for advice directly, but by posting her personal medical
>> information she's essentially inviting comments, opinions, and
>> advice... that's the nature of newsgroups... otherwise she should have
>> kept her personal medical information to email or better kept it to
>> herself and her doctor. Posting anything to a newsgroup automatically
>> opens it to public scrutiny with any and all responses it may draw.
>> That's why most don't post pictures of their cooking, they know that
>> they wouldn't be able to handle any comments other than "that's
>> wonderful".
>>

>Obviously she was inviting *attention* by mentioning some medical
>condition. In a subsequent post she claims it wasn't about her fatty
>liver. Yet she went out of her way to mention it. She got the intended
>attention seeking result, up to and including *cue Jill* when the recipe
>mentioned steaming the green beans.
>
>She shows her ignorance by saying she likes her cooked vegetables still
>crisp. Apparently she doesn't know how to take vegetables being cooked
>in a pot with a steamer basket off the burner when they're tender-crisp.

I don't own a steamer basket. when I want veggies minimally cooked I
stir fry, or I add them to soups/stews at the very end.

>As for photos, some people just don't care about taking pictures of
>food. I've posted many food pics over the years but really, I'd rather
>eat than snap photos of it.
>
>Jill

It only takes a second to snap a pic, I'll usually snap 2-3, then
later or the next day is when I'll edit and choose one to post....
sometimes none are post worthy then I'll delete. I always keep my
camera nearby for the critters and for when the light is right
outside. I mostly take pics of critters, plants, and weather, very
few of food. Most times I forget to snap a food pic and when I
finally remember it's all eaten, then instead of plated pics I'll snap
a half potful. For me the food pics are for initiating a discussion
on methods, everyone will cook the same food differently. And some
will cook an interesting sounding dish but iunfortunately they ruin it
with lousy photography and awful plating (Sir Ukelele). And I really
don't appreciate it whan someone describes their dinner but then posts
an URL with the recipe and the image... that screams out liar because
most everyone with a cell phone has a camera handy... and modern cell
phones have excellent cameras, and these days ordinary digicams are
dirt cheap, no film or processing needed,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> JB didnt ask for advice directly, but by posting her personal medical
>>> information she's essentially inviting comments, opinions, and
>>> advice... that's the nature of newsgroups... otherwise she should have
>>> kept her personal medical information to email or better kept it to
>>> herself and her doctor. Posting anything to a newsgroup automatically
>>> opens it to public scrutiny with any and all responses it may draw.
>>> That's why most don't post pictures of their cooking, they know that
>>> they wouldn't be able to handle any comments other than "that's
>>> wonderful".
>>>

>> Obviously she was inviting *attention* by mentioning some medical
>> condition. In a subsequent post she claims it wasn't about her fatty
>> liver. Yet she went out of her way to mention it. She got the intended
>> attention seeking result, up to and including *cue Jill* when the recipe
>> mentioned steaming the green beans.
>>
>> She shows her ignorance by saying she likes her cooked vegetables still
>> crisp. Apparently she doesn't know how to take vegetables being cooked
>> in a pot with a steamer basket off the burner when they're tender-crisp.

> I don't own a steamer basket. when I want veggies minimally cooked I
> stir fry, or I add them to soups/stews at the very end.
>
>> As for photos, some people just don't care about taking pictures of
>> food. I've posted many food pics over the years but really, I'd rather
>> eat than snap photos of it.
>>
>> Jill

> It only takes a second to snap a pic, I'll usually snap 2-3, then
> later or the next day is when I'll edit and choose one to post....
> sometimes none are post worthy then I'll delete. I always keep my
> camera nearby for the critters and for when the light is right
> outside. I mostly take pics of critters, plants, and weather, very
> few of food. Most times I forget to snap a food pic and when I
> finally remember it's all eaten, then instead of plated pics I'll snap
> a half potful. For me the food pics are for initiating a discussion
> on methods, everyone will cook the same food differently. And some
> will cook an interesting sounding dish but iunfortunately they ruin it
> with lousy photography and awful plating (Sir Ukelele). And I really
> don't appreciate it whan someone describes their dinner but then posts
> an URL with the recipe and the image... that screams out liar because
> most everyone with a cell phone has a camera handy... and modern cell
> phones have excellent cameras, and these days ordinary digicams are
> dirt cheap, no film or processing needed,

Popeye, I bet yoose snap a pic every time yoose takes a dump.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 8:25:12 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:29:50 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >On 5/25/2019 11:14 AM, wrote:

> >> JB didnt ask for advice directly, but by posting her personal medical
> >> information she's essentially inviting comments, opinions, and
> >> advice... that's the nature of newsgroups... otherwise she should have
> >> kept her personal medical information to email or better kept it to
> >> herself and her doctor. Posting anything to a newsgroup automatically
> >> opens it to public scrutiny with any and all responses it may draw.
> >> That's why most don't post pictures of their cooking, they know that
> >> they wouldn't be able to handle any comments other than "that's
> >> wonderful".
> >>

> >Obviously she was inviting *attention* by mentioning some medical
> >condition. In a subsequent post she claims it wasn't about her fatty
> >liver. Yet she went out of her way to mention it. She got the intended
> >attention seeking result, up to and including *cue Jill* when the recipe
> >mentioned steaming the green beans.
> >
> >She shows her ignorance by saying she likes her cooked vegetables still
> >crisp. Apparently she doesn't know how to take vegetables being cooked
> >in a pot with a steamer basket off the burner when they're tender-crisp.

> I don't own a steamer basket. when I want veggies minimally cooked I
> stir fry, or I add them to soups/stews at the very end.
>
> >As for photos, some people just don't care about taking pictures of
> >food. I've posted many food pics over the years but really, I'd rather
> >eat than snap photos of it.
> >
> >Jill

> It only takes a second to snap a pic, I'll usually snap 2-3, then
> later or the next day is when I'll edit and choose one to post....
> sometimes none are post worthy then I'll delete. I always keep my
> camera nearby for the critters and for when the light is right
> outside. I mostly take pics of critters, plants, and weather, very
> few of food. Most times I forget to snap a food pic and when I
> finally remember it's all eaten, then instead of plated pics I'll snap
> a half potful. For me the food pics are for initiating a discussion
> on methods, everyone will cook the same food differently. And some
> will cook an interesting sounding dish but iunfortunately they ruin it
> with lousy photography and awful plating (Sir Ukelele). And I really
> don't appreciate it whan someone describes their dinner but then posts
> an URL with the recipe and the image... that screams out liar because
> most everyone with a cell phone has a camera handy... and modern cell
> phones have excellent cameras, and these days ordinary digicams are
> dirt cheap, no film or processing needed,

I got one of those Asian style steamer basket. It's just wonderful and I'm using it a lot these days.

When I take a picture, it gets uploaded automatically to the cloud when I get in range of a trusted WiFi network. It's simply amazing. Here's one of my latest masterpieces. I didn't make it, I just took a picture of it and ate it.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kZrHuemCQ3XETS
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 1:25:12 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> It only takes a second to snap a pic, I'll usually snap 2-3, then
> later or the next day is when I'll edit and choose one to post....
> sometimes none are post worthy then I'll delete. I always keep my
> camera nearby for the critters and for when the light is right
> outside.

I don't keep my camera nearby nor do I keep the batteries in it when not in
used. Snapping pictures of food or animals is just not on my bucket list.

> For me the food pics are for initiating a discussion
> on methods, everyone will cook the same food differently. And some
> will cook an interesting sounding dish but iunfortunately they ruin it
> with lousy photography and awful plating (Sir Ukelele).

Although I enjoy looking at others pictures, it's just not something I feel
compelled to do. Whether to share or have my efforts mauled, I'm just not
a camera person.

> And I really
> don't appreciate it whan someone describes their dinner but then posts
> an URL with the recipe and the image... that screams out liar because
> most everyone with a cell phone has a camera handy... and modern cell
> phones have excellent cameras, and these days ordinary digicams are
> dirt cheap, no film or processing needed,

Yep, I have a cell phone but it stays off for perhaps a few times per month.
My cell phone is for emergencies only and not as an entertainment venue for
anyone. I was just at a site a few minutes ago and to be able to access it,
the turds had to send me code by text. I have to go get my phone, turn it
on, wait for it power up, unlock the screen, and THEN see the code they
sent.

I did say I was not a camera person and I'm not phone, cell or landline,
person either. I just don't get this fascination at looking at everybody's
food; it's like all dogs have to smell each others butts before they're
accepted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

snip
>Yep, I have a cell phone but it stays off for perhaps a few times per month.
>My cell phone is for emergencies only and not as an entertainment venue for
>anyone. I was just at a site a few minutes ago and to be able to access it,
>the turds had to send me code by text. I have to go get my phone, turn it
>on, wait for it power up, unlock the screen, and THEN see the code they
>sent.

that's a pretty common Internet protocol for capturing forgotten
passwords for the computer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 3:08:43 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> snip
> >Yep, I have a cell phone but it stays off for perhaps a few times per month.
> >My cell phone is for emergencies only and not as an entertainment venue for
> >anyone. I was just at a site a few minutes ago and to be able to access it,
> >the turds had to send me code by text. I have to go get my phone, turn it
> >on, wait for it power up, unlock the screen, and THEN see the code they
> >sent.
> >

> that's a pretty common Internet protocol for capturing forgotten
> passwords for the computer.

It was not forgotten password, I have ALL of them written down with user name,
any 'secret' questions, due dates, etc. This one site ONLY wants to let you
access your information AFTER they've sent you a code to enter at their website.
Doesn't matter if your user name and password is correct, gotta get into their
site with an access code. It's great to be a secure site but then it can be
taken to ridiculous measures, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 3:08:43 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > snip
> > >Yep, I have a cell phone but it stays off for perhaps a few times per month.
> > >My cell phone is for emergencies only and not as an entertainment venue for
> > >anyone. I was just at a site a few minutes ago and to be able to access it,
> > >the turds had to send me code by text. I have to go get my phone, turn it
> > >on, wait for it power up, unlock the screen, and THEN see the code they
> > >sent.
> > >

> > that's a pretty common Internet protocol for capturing forgotten
> > passwords for the computer.
> >

> It was not forgotten password, I have ALL of them written down with user name,
> any 'secret' questions, due dates, etc. This one site ONLY wants to let you
> access your information AFTER they've sent you a code to enter at their website.
> Doesn't matter if your user name and password is correct, gotta get into their
> site with an access code. It's great to be a secure site but then it can be
> taken to ridiculous measures, too.

Yup, my bank used to confirm password authorization by either email or phone text, now only phone text. Like you, I barely use a phone, but always have computer access, it is annoying to fiddle with turning my phone on...

--
Best
Greg