Old 11-02-2019, 02:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A new Fridge

Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 8:29:28 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

On 2/10/2019 8:28 PM, wrote:

Tonight's dinnerm 1" THK pork chops... delicious!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1gttbata2/

I would eat the chop but you may keep the beans. (I prefer beans in
soup).

Jill

Me, too.

I'd skip the chop and eat the beans.

Well heck! You two divorced old biddies (and about the same age)
should become roommates then argue over the current gardener. ;o

Old 11-02-2019, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:05 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:04:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18, 20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

There might not be enough room to open the door on a standard fridge. I
had a layout like that. I ended up getting a new French-door fridge that
I put in the dining room and adding a base cabinet where the old fridge was.
It was better to have some set-down space next to the stove anyway.

French doors work well if the fridge is easily accessed from either
side, but not when it is against a wall on one side and a table nearby.
However, it has to be a French door fridge with bottom mount freezer.
Years ago we had a French doors with fridge on one side and freezer on
the other. We hated it. Between the narrow width and shelving
configuration it was hard to fit large things into either side and there
was a lot of wasted space.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:07:15 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2019-02-11 6:05 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I've never heard anybody refer to that as "French doors"; only as
"side-by-side". "French doors" appears nowadays to be used
exclusively for a double-door fridge with a slide-out freezer
on the bottom.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-02-2019, 03:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Not only that but with a bottom drawer freezer, you can keep it
open longer because the cold air doesn't immediately fall out on
the floor.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Not only that but with a bottom drawer freezer, you can keep it
open longer because the cold air doesn't immediately fall out on
the floor.

Not as much as you'd think. The bottom of my bottom-drawer
freezer isn't solid. You pull out the cold air in a big
whoosh and it disperses around the room.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 11-02-2019, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 10:39:41 -0500, Gary wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Not only that but with a bottom drawer freezer, you can keep it
open longer because the cold air doesn't immediately fall out on
the floor.

My last fridge had the freezer on the bottom, but it wasn't a drawer,
it was a regular door. You opened it, then you had to pull out a wire
basket. (I hadn't bought it myself - it came to me when my father
downsized.) Anyway, I hated that freezer door, and when the fridge
died I got a basic model with freezer on top.

Next one will be after we move this summer, and will be a fancy
dual-door fridge with water dispenser and freezer drawer on the
bottom. That's what they're putting in all the new condos nowadays.

Doris

Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Not only that but with a bottom drawer freezer, you can keep it
open longer because the cold air doesn't immediately fall out on
the floor.

Not as much as you'd think. The bottom of my bottom-drawer
freezer isn't solid. You pull out the cold air in a big
whoosh and it disperses around the room.

Cindy Hamilton

That's true of all the bottom freezer units I've seen, the front is
solid but the sides are just wire like a basket. With a top freezer
one doesn't need to stoop very often for the fridge, how often does
one need to rumage in those bottom produce bins, perhaps 2-4 times a
day, some days not at all. Every other area is easily accessed... and
since I keep everything well arranged I don't need to have the door
open more than ten seconds.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:05:47 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:04:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 10:41:47 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

The only reason I got the second side by side is that due to the design of
my kitchen, nothing else will fit. Well that's not quite true. I could get a
very small as in apartment sized top freezer model but it would leave a lot
of space on either side and would be too small for my needs.

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18, 20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

There might not be enough room to open the door on a standard fridge. I
had a layout like that. I ended up getting a new French-door fridge that
I put in the dining room and adding a base cabinet where the old fridge was.
It was better to have some set-down space next to the stove anyway.

Cindy Hamilton

The dummy needs to measure her present refrigerator (H-D-W) and either look
online to see what's available or write those measurements down and take
them with her when she shops for one.

My present 25 c.f. Whirpool is not a counter-depth size but that's what I will
have to opt for when this one dies.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 9:07:15 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

Years ago we had a French doors with fridge on one side and freezer on
the other. We hated it. Between the narrow width and shelving
configuration it was hard to fit large things into either side and there
was a lot of wasted space.

A friend had a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer and thought he'd died and gone
to heaven. But, like you said, it was hard to fit anything in either side
because it was so narrow and everything had to be stacked. Then when you wanted
something all that stuff had to come out. GRRRRRRRRRRR But I'm glad I had the
time to get to use his to find out that would not be on my list of refrigerators
to ever purchase. But if I had the space and the money I'd definitely consider
a Sub-Zero or like type that the refrigerator and freezer are of equal size.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 10:41:47 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

The only reason I got the second side by side is that due to the design
of
my kitchen, nothing else will fit. Well that's not quite true. I could
get a
very small as in apartment sized top freezer model but it would leave a
lot
of space on either side and would be too small for my needs.

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18, 20,
22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have
to reject every suggestion.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:01:50 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18, 20,
22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

No. They are too tall.

You are an idiot; an absolute dumbest of the dumb. No wonder your husband
dumped your stupid ass.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 6:55:18 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:19:53 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
The new fridge arrived yesterday. To my wife's delight, this one has
the bottom mount freezer. I ordered it on Monday and was told it would
likely be 2-3 weeks before delivery, depending on the manufacturer's
warehouse stock. I was surprised to get a call on Thursday saying it was
scheduled for delivery on Saturday.

I had asked about changing the door to open from the right because it
sits in the corner with the wall to the left. I was told there is a $20
charge for that. I thought it was a little much but agreed.

When the fridge came I checked about the door and was by the lead guy
told it was the standard open to the right and I would have to contact
the service department. I called up and was on hold waiting to talk to
them about having paid for the left mount and it not being done.
Meanwhile, the guys had removed the door to get it into the kitchen. I
told them I was still on hold. The guy said he could mount it on the
other side for me but that I would have to move the handle. Then the
third guy said he would do the handle. The job that I was being charged
for was about 2 minutes more work than just remounted it to the factory
spec. They had a socket on a drill. The hinge bracket was already off.
All he had to do was to pop out three plugs, turn the bracket upside
down, screw the bolts in on the other side and then plug the holes from
the original spot. The handle came off with an Allen key and two bolts.
Meanwhile, my wife dug out the bill and it turned out the reason it had
not been reversed at the warehouse was that the saleswoman had forgotten
to put it on the bill and I had nor paid for it after all, so I ended up
getting that little extra for free.

I had to let it sit level for an hour before we started it up. Glad to
say it came on with no problem. When we loaded the food into it I stuck
in some freshly filled ice cube trays. They were frozen solid within two
hours.

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Congrats on your new fridge. Hopefully, it will prove to be relatively
trouble free.

My wife and I were working on our fridge yesterday. The nylon bushing on the
hinge pin on one side had crapped out causing a bunch of problems: the
center door seal wouldn't engage, the ice maker to ice dispenser seal
wouldn't seal, the freezer gasket wouldn't wouldn't seal because rust from
the hinge pin grinding itself to death would clump on the magnetic gasket.
This machine has been just a bunch of trouble for us. It's one unlucky
machine!

---

I've never had one with an ice maker. As a kid, my friend had one. It made
somewhat largish half circles that tended to melt slightly and stick
together. One day we went to her house after school. When she opened the
freezer door, all these cubes tumbled out. It was chock full and still
producing. My friend was a math whiz but apparently not too bright in other
departments. She climbed up to the top shelf of the cupboard and got down
her dad's favorite bar type glasses. I remember my dad having some that we
weren't allowed to touch. All dads seemed to in those days.

She tried filling the glasses repeatedly then dumping them down the sink. Of
course this was taking forever. I knew nothing about ice makers but assumed
that it could be shut off and mentioned it. She said it could but she needed
to get the cubes out first. I told her to get a bucket. She said she
couldn't because it was in the other room. So I said to use the dishpan. She
said she couldn't because it had some dishes in it. I then told her to use a
mixing bowl or something but she was hell bent on using those glasses. I
didn't know where stuff was kept in the kitchen but I did find a big bowl.
And just as I was taking it out of the cupboard, her dad came home from
work. He saw her with the glasses, ice all over the floor.Yelled at her for
touching the glasses. This startled her and she dropped them. They broke,
adding to the mess.

Meanwhile, her dad grabbed the bowl from me and managed to get enough ice
out fairly quickly using the bowl, then shut off the ice maker.

I think I was 7 or 8 at the time. Put me right off of that type of ice
maker.

Broken food dispensers can be a lot of fun! I can tell you had one heck of a childhood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYiIDQKdCGs
Old 12-02-2019, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:16:21 -0500, Doris Night
wrote:

My last fridge had the freezer on the bottom, but it wasn't a drawer,
it was a regular door. You opened it, then you had to pull out a wire
basket. (I hadn't bought it myself - it came to me when my father
downsized.) Anyway, I hated that freezer door, and when the fridge
died I got a basic model with freezer on top.

We dithered and dithered: freezer on top or freezer on bottom?
Convincing arguments both ways. Then the dime dropped: I no longer
have to go down a flight of stairs to get to the deep freeze. We
don't need a freezer compartment at all!

Not easy to find, but Smith ordered one for us. Usually found in
restaurants, I think. I adore it. Removing that tiny compartment
appears to have given us a cubic mile of SPACE.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net