General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,571
Default A new Fridge

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 06:17:26 -0500, Nancy Young
wrote:
snip

When it came time to replace it, we got one as big as would fit, the
way it was meant to be. On delivery day, Ron was measuring, he knew
something was off. Well, the countertop on one side stuck out. Seems
so obvious. Of course the truck is pulling in the driveway.

I quick grabbed a screwdriver and took that counter off, so all's well
that ends well, good thing I didn't have stone countertops. A local
cabinet maker cut an inch off the countertop so it worked out.

I am not sure that thing is screwed down or just sitting there, now
that I think about it.

nancy

we sawed off the 2 inch overhang on the adjacent counter so that we
could get a wider fridge. Refrigerators now come deeper than they
used so more space that way as well.

  #47 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 807
Default A new Fridge

On 2/12/2019 9:39 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2019-02-12 6:17 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:


I quick grabbed a screwdriver and took that counter off, so all's well
that ends well, good thing I didn't have stone countertops.* A local
cabinet maker cut an inch off the countertop so it worked out.

I am not sure that thing is screwed down or just sitting there, now
that I think about it.

When we had our kitchen done a few years ago my wife insisted on a
countertop to slide the portable dishwasher under. It restricted the
width of the passage into the kitchen.* The contractor had constructed
it to have a backing and a narrow cupboard on one end to hold baking
pans.* It is secured to the wall with three screws. I simply had to
unscrew the them and slide it over a few inches to move the things in
and out and then screw it back later.* Since I recently got a dryer, a
stove and a fridge it has been unscrewed and moved three times in the
last 6 weeks.


Ha, the next owner is going to go crazy, how did they get the
appliances in here???

nancy
  #48 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,602
Default A new Fridge

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:12:05 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:24:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:


"Dave Smith" wrote in message
...
On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have to
reject every suggestion.


Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.


so, your house doesn't have regulation ceilings?


She probably has a cupboard over the fridge. My previous house
had that, and my husband had to trim it a little the day the
fridge was delivered.

IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).

Cindy Hamilton
  #49 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,571
Default A new Fridge

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:19:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:12:05 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:24:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:


"Dave Smith" wrote in message
...
On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have to
reject every suggestion.

Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.


so, your house doesn't have regulation ceilings?


She probably has a cupboard over the fridge. My previous house
had that, and my husband had to trim it a little the day the
fridge was delivered.

IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).

Cindy Hamilton


I have a cabinet up there too, I hadn't considered a larger cabinet
over the fridge. Those cabinets (IMO) are largely spaces for stuff
you don't want to see again.
  #50 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,602
Default A new Fridge

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:26:11 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:19:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:12:05 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:24:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:


"Dave Smith" wrote in message
...
On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have to
reject every suggestion.

Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.

so, your house doesn't have regulation ceilings?


She probably has a cupboard over the fridge. My previous house
had that, and my husband had to trim it a little the day the
fridge was delivered.

IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).

Cindy Hamilton


I have a cabinet up there too, I hadn't considered a larger cabinet
over the fridge. Those cabinets (IMO) are largely spaces for stuff
you don't want to see again.


Agreed. IIRC my in-laws kept the "good" flatware up there,
so it was only used on Thanksgiving (and they had 5 sons to
retrieve it).

Still, it's very odd to have such a large cabinet over the
fridge. Then again, we know Julie has a very odd house.

Cindy Hamilton


  #51 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31,795
Default A new Fridge

On 2019-02-12 11:18 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
On 2/12/2019 9:39 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2019-02-12 6:17 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:


I quick grabbed a screwdriver and took that counter off, so all's well
that ends well, good thing I didn't have stone countertops.* A local
cabinet maker cut an inch off the countertop so it worked out.

I am not sure that thing is screwed down or just sitting there, now
that I think about it.

When we had our kitchen done a few years ago my wife insisted on a
countertop to slide the portable dishwasher under. It restricted the
width of the passage into the kitchen.* The contractor had constructed
it to have a backing and a narrow cupboard on one end to hold baking
pans.* It is secured to the wall with three screws. I simply had to
unscrew the them and slide it over a few inches to move the things in
and out and then screw it back later.* Since I recently got a dryer, a
stove and a fridge it has been unscrewed and moved three times in the
last 6 weeks.


Ha, the next owner is going to go crazy, how did they get the
appliances in here???


We will have to move the counter over to get our stuff out. It's three
screws.


  #52 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31,795
Default A new Fridge

On 2019-02-12 11:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:12:05 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:24:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:


"Dave Smith" wrote in message
...
On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have to
reject every suggestion.

Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.


so, your house doesn't have regulation ceilings?


She probably has a cupboard over the fridge. My previous house
had that, and my husband had to trim it a little the day the
fridge was delivered.

IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).


Or.... go out shopping in a proper appliance store and find one that
will fit. How large a fridge does a single woman need?

  #53 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,571
Default A new Fridge

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 11:40:24 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 2019-02-12 11:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:12:05 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:24:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:


"Dave Smith" wrote in message
...
On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have to
reject every suggestion.

Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.

so, your house doesn't have regulation ceilings?


She probably has a cupboard over the fridge. My previous house
had that, and my husband had to trim it a little the day the
fridge was delivered.

IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).


Or.... go out shopping in a proper appliance store and find one that
will fit. How large a fridge does a single woman need?


with a computer you can find almost anything that you want. I would
think that large stores around Seattle with Internet presence would
have the ability to order in and deliver whatever.
  #54 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,085
Default A new Fridge

On 2/12/2019 11:26 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:


IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).

Cindy Hamilton


I have a cabinet up there too, I hadn't considered a larger cabinet
over the fridge. Those cabinets (IMO) are largely spaces for stuff
you don't want to see again.


I mentioned I took the bottom out of the cabinet in the old house. The
stuff that was in it had been there for year. It went directly to the
donation box. There is a nice cabinet over the fridge here. Empty, but
I may stiff a couple of things in there to hide forever. Impractical to
get to.
  #55 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18,572
Default A new Fridge

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/12/2019 11:26 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:


IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).

Cindy Hamilton


I have a cabinet up there too, I hadn't considered a larger cabinet
over the fridge. Those cabinets (IMO) are largely spaces for stuff
you don't want to see again.


I mentioned I took the bottom out of the cabinet in the old house. The
stuff that was in it had been there for year. It went directly to the
donation box. There is a nice cabinet over the fridge here. Empty, but
I may stiff a couple of things in there to hide forever. Impractical to
get to.


Places like that are good to store rarely used things.


  #56 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6,006
Default A new Fridge

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:38:13 -0500, Gary wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/12/2019 11:26 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:


IIRC said she needs a fridge 64 inches tall, which is shorter
than me. I'd have the gardener remove the cupboard and get a
bigger fridge (when the old one dies, of course).

Cindy Hamilton

I have a cabinet up there too, I hadn't considered a larger cabinet
over the fridge. Those cabinets (IMO) are largely spaces for stuff
you don't want to see again.


I mentioned I took the bottom out of the cabinet in the old house. The
stuff that was in it had been there for year. It went directly to the
donation box. There is a nice cabinet over the fridge here. Empty, but
I may stiff a couple of things in there to hide forever. Impractical to
get to.


Places like that are good to store rarely used things.


Upper cabinets become quite usable if one has a proper ladder, that's
the sole reason why just last week I ordered this, sure beats standing
on a chair or dragging the 6' wooden ladder in from the garage each
time... this hides behind my office door... extremely stable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043X1JBY...0043X1JBY&th=1
We have deep cabinets over the stove and over the fridge. The cabinet
over the fridge is where I store a ton of plastic freezer containers,
just neatened them up and tossed a bunch I never use... cabinet over
the stove holds paper goods; coffee filters, napkins, paper towels,
and lots of disposable picnic stuff.
That handy dandy ladder has already convinced me to change smoke alarm
batteries that were due months ago.... next new flourescent tubes in
the kitchen fixture, one of the four is already out.
  #59 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 807
Default A new Fridge

On 2/12/2019 11:18 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 06:17:26 -0500, Nancy Young
wrote:


When it came time to replace it, we got one as big as would fit, the
way it was meant to be. On delivery day, Ron was measuring, he knew
something was off. Well, the countertop on one side stuck out. Seems
so obvious. Of course the truck is pulling in the driveway.


we sawed off the 2 inch overhang on the adjacent counter so that we
could get a wider fridge. Refrigerators now come deeper than they
used so more space that way as well.


It seemed fine until you get the newer refrigerator. I blame the
cabinet guy who left the space for the future larger one but then
measured the countertop an inch too wide.

nancy
  #60 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 18,572
Default A new Fridge

Julie Bove wrote:

Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.


But you don't know how to adapt. You live alone, a small
apartment size would work well for you if you weren't so damn
picky.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The fridge is here! Janet Wilder[_4_] General Cooking 6 02-05-2014 01:27 AM
Same fridge? MiamiCuse Cooking Equipment 3 27-08-2007 02:46 PM
What abt Mt Best fridge? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 10-08-2007 03:25 AM
Using the fridge Trix Sourdough 4 10-02-2006 11:45 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017