Old 12-02-2019, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A new Fridge

On 2/11/2019 6:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 10:41:47 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

The only reason I got the second side by side is that due to the
design of
my kitchen, nothing else will fit. Well that's not quite true. I
could get a
very small as in apartment sized top freezer model but it would leave
a lot
of space on either side and would be too small for my needs.

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

No. They are too tall.

When we got a new fridge in the last house I had to cut down the cabinet
about 2" for it to fit. You could not tell it no longer had a bottom.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 8:11 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
When we got a new fridge in the last house I had to cut down the cabinet
about 2" for it to fit.* You could not tell it no longer had a bottom.

I had a similar problem with our previous fridge. It turned out to be
about 1/16 inch too high for the space. Fortunately there was a bit of a
lip on the cupboard above it and I was able to shave it down and get the
fridge in under it. There was enough space on each side for ventilation.
A few years ago we remodeled the kitchen shortened the cupboard a bit
and there is now about a 2" gap. This time I made sure to measure
before ordering the fridge.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:27:59 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 5:01:50 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18, 20,
22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

No. They are too tall.

You are an idiot; an absolute dumbest of the dumb. No wonder your husband
dumped your stupid ass.

Hey Jo-Jo, tell us about YOUR husband.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

You are an idiot; an absolute dumbest of the dumb. No wonder your husband
dumped your stupid ass.

Hey Jo-Jo, tell us about YOUR husband.

I killed him, chopped him up, cooked him, and then fed him to the hogs. Anymore
questions? I also cleaned out his bank account, sold his prized pickup truck,
and got a nice settlement from his life insurance policy.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
" wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:10:42 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

Hey Jo-Jo, tell us about YOUR husband.

I killed him, chopped him up, cooked him, and then fed him to the hogs.
Anymore
questions? I also cleaned out his bank account, sold his prized pickup truck,
and got a nice settlement from his life insurance policy.

Yawn. It's the repetitive old story that starts with, "A married guy
gets a life insurance policy..." The end result is inevitable. How
does Bruce not know this? ;-)

leo
Old 12-02-2019, 06:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 22:08:46 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell

" wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:10:42 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

Hey Jo-Jo, tell us about YOUR husband.

I killed him, chopped him up, cooked him, and then fed him to the hogs.
Anymore
questions? I also cleaned out his bank account, sold his prized pickup truck,
and got a nice settlement from his life insurance policy.

Yawn. It's the repetitive old story that starts with, "A married guy
gets a life insurance policy..." The end result is inevitable. How
does Bruce not know this? ;-)

The hogs would have eaten him uncooked as well, so she made it up.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 8:11 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
When we got a new fridge in the last house I had to cut down the
cabinet about 2" for it to fit.* You could not tell it no longer had a
bottom.

I had a similar problem with our previous fridge. It turned out to be
about 1/16 inch too high for the space. Fortunately there was a bit of a
lip on the cupboard above it and I was able to shave it down and get the
fridge in under it. There was enough space on each side for ventilation.
*A few years ago we remodeled the kitchen shortened the cupboard a bit
and there is now about a 2" gap.* This time I made sure to measure
before ordering the fridge.

When we had the kitchen remodeled, we kept the old refrigerator for
some time as it still worked fine. However, it was on the small side
so it fit into the space no problem.

When it came time to replace it, we got one as big as would fit, the
way it was meant to be. On delivery day, Ron was measuring, he knew
something was off. Well, the countertop on one side stuck out. Seems
so obvious. Of course the truck is pulling in the driveway.

I quick grabbed a screwdriver and took that counter off, so all's well
that ends well, good thing I didn't have stone countertops. A local
cabinet maker cut an inch off the countertop so it worked out.

I am not sure that thing is screwed down or just sitting there, now
that I think about it.

nancy
Old 12-02-2019, 11:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have to
reject every suggestion.

Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20,
22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

You are an idiot; an absolute dumbest of the dumb. No wonder your husband
dumped your stupid ass.

Gee, let me check the heights of those. Slightly over 66 inches for the 18
cu. Ft. and that isn't large enough. The 22 which is what I need, is not
available at Lowes. There is a slightly smaller one. Same height. Mine is a
GE that is no longer being made. It's 64 inches tall. I do know how to
measure.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:55:18 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:19:53 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
The new fridge arrived yesterday. To my wife's delight, this one has
the bottom mount freezer. I ordered it on Monday and was told it would
likely be 2-3 weeks before delivery, depending on the manufacturer's
warehouse stock. I was surprised to get a call on Thursday saying it was
scheduled for delivery on Saturday.

I had asked about changing the door to open from the right because it
sits in the corner with the wall to the left. I was told there is a $20
charge for that. I thought it was a little much but agreed.

When the fridge came I checked about the door and was by the lead guy
told it was the standard open to the right and I would have to contact
the service department. I called up and was on hold waiting to talk to
them about having paid for the left mount and it not being done.
Meanwhile, the guys had removed the door to get it into the kitchen. I
told them I was still on hold. The guy said he could mount it on the
other side for me but that I would have to move the handle. Then the
third guy said he would do the handle. The job that I was being charged
for was about 2 minutes more work than just remounted it to the factory
spec. They had a socket on a drill. The hinge bracket was already off.
All he had to do was to pop out three plugs, turn the bracket upside
down, screw the bolts in on the other side and then plug the holes from
the original spot. The handle came off with an Allen key and two bolts.
Meanwhile, my wife dug out the bill and it turned out the reason it had
not been reversed at the warehouse was that the saleswoman had forgotten
to put it on the bill and I had nor paid for it after all, so I ended up
getting that little extra for free.

I had to let it sit level for an hour before we started it up. Glad to
say it came on with no problem. When we loaded the food into it I stuck
in some freshly filled ice cube trays. They were frozen solid within two
hours.

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Congrats on your new fridge. Hopefully, it will prove to be relatively
trouble free.

My wife and I were working on our fridge yesterday. The nylon bushing on the
hinge pin on one side had crapped out causing a bunch of problems: the
center door seal wouldn't engage, the ice maker to ice dispenser seal
wouldn't seal, the freezer gasket wouldn't wouldn't seal because rust from
the hinge pin grinding itself to death would clump on the magnetic gasket.
This machine has been just a bunch of trouble for us. It's one unlucky
machine!

---

I've never had one with an ice maker. As a kid, my friend had one. It made
somewhat largish half circles that tended to melt slightly and stick
together. One day we went to her house after school. When she opened the
freezer door, all these cubes tumbled out. It was chock full and still
producing. My friend was a math whiz but apparently not too bright in other
departments. She climbed up to the top shelf of the cupboard and got down
her dad's favorite bar type glasses. I remember my dad having some that we
weren't allowed to touch. All dads seemed to in those days.

She tried filling the glasses repeatedly then dumping them down the sink. Of
course this was taking forever. I knew nothing about ice makers but assumed
that it could be shut off and mentioned it. She said it could but she needed
to get the cubes out first. I told her to get a bucket. She said she
couldn't because it was in the other room. So I said to use the dishpan. She
said she couldn't because it had some dishes in it. I then told her to use a
mixing bowl or something but she was hell bent on using those glasses. I
didn't know where stuff was kept in the kitchen but I did find a big bowl.
And just as I was taking it out of the cupboard, her dad came home from
work. He saw her with the glasses, ice all over the floor.Yelled at her for
touching the glasses. This startled her and she dropped them. They broke,
adding to the mess.

Meanwhile, her dad grabbed the bowl from me and managed to get enough ice
out fairly quickly using the bowl, then shut off the ice maker.

I think I was 7 or 8 at the time. Put me right off of that type of ice
maker.

I can see how that would be a traumatizing experience.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 12-02-2019, 02:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 8:11 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

When we had our kitchen done a few years ago my wife insisted on a
countertop to slide the portable dishwasher under. It restricted the
width of the passage into the kitchen. The contractor had constructed
it to have a backing and a narrow cupboard on one end to hold baking
pans. It is secured to the wall with three screws. I simply had to
unscrew the them and slide it over a few inches to move the things in
and out and then screw it back later. Since I recently got a dryer, a
stove and a fridge it has been unscrewed and moved three times in the
last 6 weeks.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:24:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"

On 2019-02-11 6:01 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18,
20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest
occupies.

No. They are too tall.

Really? You know.. they come in different sizes. Oh yeah... we have to
reject every suggestion.

Yes I know. As I said... I could fit an apartment sized one. No bigger. Not
big enough. I know how to measure.

so, your house doesn't have regulation ceilings?