Old 10-02-2019, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A new Fridge

The new fridge arrived yesterday. To my wife's delight, this one has
the bottom mount freezer. I ordered it on Monday and was told it would
likely be 2-3 weeks before delivery, depending on the manufacturer's
warehouse stock. I was surprised to get a call on Thursday saying it was
scheduled for delivery on Saturday.

I had asked about changing the door to open from the right because it
sits in the corner with the wall to the left. I was told there is a $20
charge for that. I thought it was a little much but agreed.

When the fridge came I checked about the door and was by the lead guy
told it was the standard open to the right and I would have to contact
the service department. I called up and was on hold waiting to talk to
them about having paid for the left mount and it not being done.
Meanwhile, the guys had removed the door to get it into the kitchen. I
told them I was still on hold. The guy said he could mount it on the
other side for me but that I would have to move the handle. Then the
third guy said he would do the handle. The job that I was being charged
for was about 2 minutes more work than just remounted it to the factory
spec. They had a socket on a drill. The hinge bracket was already off.
All he had to do was to pop out three plugs, turn the bracket upside
down, screw the bolts in on the other side and then plug the holes from
the original spot. The handle came off with an Allen key and two bolts.
Meanwhile, my wife dug out the bill and it turned out the reason it had
not been reversed at the warehouse was that the saleswoman had forgotten
to put it on the bill and I had nor paid for it after all, so I ended up
getting that little extra for free.

I had to let it sit level for an hour before we started it up. Glad to
say it came on with no problem. When we loaded the food into it I stuck
in some freshly filled ice cube trays. They were frozen solid within two
hours.

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:21:32 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

I had asked about changing the door to open from the right because it
sits in the corner with the wall to the left. I was told there is a $20
charge for that. I thought it was a little much but agreed.

When the fridge came I checked about the door and was by the lead guy
told it was the standard open to the right and I would have to contact
the service department. I called up and was on hold waiting to talk to
them about having paid for the left mount and it not being done.
Meanwhile, the guys had removed the door to get it into the kitchen.

That should not have been an issue. Fridges are made to be change and
it takes minutes. I'm surprised they even tried to charge you for it.

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

We've had two top freezer, one side by side, and now on the second
French door with bottom freezer. I'd never go back.

The top freezer just takes prime viewing space from the portion you
use the most, one or two shelves in the fridge.

Side by side was OK on the fridge side, but the freezer was narrow and
awkward for a lot of things. IMO you made the right call for bottom
freezer. It is only opened about 1/20th the time you go into the
fridge so that should be the easiest to access.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 2:30 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:21:32 -0500, Dave Smith

When the fridge came I checked about the door and was by the lead guy
told it was the standard open to the right and I would have to contact
the service department. I called up and was on hold waiting to talk to
them about having paid for the left mount and it not being done.
Meanwhile, the guys had removed the door to get it into the kitchen.

That should not have been an issue. Fridges are made to be change and
it takes minutes. I'm surprised they even tried to charge you for it.

I was surprised too. As it turned out, I had not been charged. The guys
did it because I said I had paid for it. I would have been ****ed if
they had not because the door was off and the hinge was off. It
required only that they pop out the plugs on the left side, stick them
into the holes on the other side and then mount the hinges on the left
instead of the right. We are a matter of seconds.

I have to agree with my wife about the convenience of the bottom mounted
freezer. It may be a bit of an issue to have to crouch to get stuff
out of the freezer, but everything in the fridge is much more accessible.

We've had two top freezer, one side by side, and now on the second
French door with bottom freezer. I'd never go back.

Years ago we had a side by side with French doors. I did not like it.
Part of my dissatisfaction was due to the layout of the kitchen. The
fridge is in the corner and the table is there, making it a little
awkward. It would not have been much of an issue of the table was not
there. The bigger problem was the width. There wasn't room for a decent
sized turkey and the narrowness and shelving led to a lot of wasted
space. If the fridge was in a different location the French doors on a
full width fridge would work well.

The top freezer just takes prime viewing space from the portion you
use the most, one or two shelves in the fridge.

Yes indeed. It is so much easier to see things in the fridge.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:19:53 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

Congrats on your new fridge. Hopefully, it will prove to be relatively trouble free.

My wife and I were working on our fridge yesterday. The nylon bushing on the hinge pin on one side had crapped out causing a bunch of problems: the center door seal wouldn't engage, the ice maker to ice dispenser seal wouldn't seal, the freezer gasket wouldn't wouldn't seal because rust from the hinge pin grinding itself to death would clump on the magnetic gasket. This machine has been just a bunch of trouble for us. It's one unlucky machine!
Old 11-02-2019, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 12:21 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
The new fridge arrived yesterday.¬* To my wife's delight, this one has
the bottom mount freezer.

Was this a surprise? Sounds like she know before it was delivered.

I ordered it on Monday and was told it would
likely be 2-3 weeks before delivery, depending on the manufacturer's
warehouse stock. I was surprised to get a call on Thursday saying it was
scheduled for delivery on Saturday.

That was fast ... assuming your old one hadn't crapped out. BTDT.

I had asked about changing the door to open from the right because it
sits in the corner with the wall to the left.¬* I was told there is a $20
charge for that. I thought it was a little much but agreed.

the original spot.¬* The handle came off with an Allen key and two bolts.
Meanwhile, my wife dug out the¬* bill and it turned out the reason it had
not been reversed at the warehouse was that the saleswoman had forgotten
to put it on the bill and I had nor paid for it after all, so I ended up
getting that little extra for free.

Nice, though I'd have tipped the guy.

Congrats on the new fridge.

nancy

Old 11-02-2019, 01:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 7:54 p.m., Nancy Young wrote:
On 2/10/2019 12:21 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

I ordered it on Monday and was told it would likely be 2-3 weeks
before delivery, depending on the manufacturer's warehouse stock. I
was surprised to get a call on Thursday saying it was scheduled for
delivery on Saturday.

That was fast ... assuming your old one hadn't crapped out.¬* BTDT.

Yes, it was fast. The old one was still functioning so it was not an
emergency. I had actually been out shopping for a new fridge a year or
two ago and just never got around to actually ordering one. The old one
was about 20 years old. The door seals were falling about. Last week
my wife opened the freezer and the bracket on the door shelf broke. I
got it back into place and we had planned to nurse it along until the
replacement came. I was told 2-3 weeks for delivery, so I was surprised
when it arrived in only 5 days.

I hope this is it for appliances for a while. In December we spent $300
on a repair on the washing machine. On Christmas morning the dryer died.
Just after the new dryer arrived an infinity switch on the stove
seized up. I had been planning to get a new oven anyway, so instead of
paying $100 or more for a repair I ordered a new one. It was just days
after the new oven arrived that the old fridge announced that it was
going to start falling about.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Tonight's dinnerm 1" THK pork chops... delicious!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1gttbata2/
Old 11-02-2019, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 8:28 PM, wrote:
Tonight's dinnerm 1" THK pork chops... delicious!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1gttbata2/

I would eat the chop but you may keep the beans. (I prefer beans in soup).

Jill

Old 11-02-2019, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 7:54 p.m., Nancy Young wrote:

That was fast ... assuming your old one hadn't crapped out.¬* BTDT.

Yes, it was fast. The old one was still functioning so it was not an
emergency. I had actually been out shopping for a new fridge a year or
two ago and just never got around to actually ordering one. The old one
was¬* about 20 years old. The door seals were falling about.¬* Last week
my wife opened the freezer and the bracket on the door shelf broke.¬* I
got it back into place and we had planned to nurse it along until the
replacement came. I was told 2-3 weeks for delivery, so I was surprised
when it arrived in only 5 days.

Yeah, that refrigerator was giving you all the signs, I'm tired, let
me retire. We replace our refrigerators when we get any sign it might
go, once we were in a tough spot because ours died. The store actually
gave us a loaner.

Also, try finding a side by side without water and ice in the door.
Next to no options so it has to be ordered. We can't just walk into
an appliance store and arrange delivery from stock.

I hope this is it for appliances for a while.¬* In December we spent $300
on a repair on the washing machine. On Christmas morning the dryer died.
¬*Just after the new dryer arrived an infinity switch on the stove
seized up. I had been planning to get a new oven anyway, so instead of
paying $100 or more for a repair I ordered a new one.¬* It was just days
after the new oven arrived that the old fridge announced that it was
going to start falling about.

That does seem to be the way things go. All at once like that. Or ...
your house wants you out? hmmmm

nancy

Old 11-02-2019, 04:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I'm on my second side by side and hate it. The fridge side is bad but the
freezer is even worse. Too much space between the shelves and the space is
too narrow. Can't fit a frozen pizza in there unless it's small and forget
about flash freezing anything.

The fridge shelves don't go all the way to the back so flat things tend to
slip down the back and sometimes get stuck. We recently noticed a hideous
odor and I had to empty everything out to find the culprit. It was a small
package of thin pork chops that I had taken from the freezer. When I went to
cook them, I couldn't find them. I did find package in the freezer so
thought I had spaced out and put the package back in the freezer. Nope!
Apparently I had two packages. I have gotten into the habit of buying marked
down meats for the freezer.

The only reason I got the second side by side is that due to the design of
my kitchen, nothing else will fit. Well that's not quite true. I could get a
very small as in apartment sized top freezer model but it would leave a lot
of space on either side and would be too small for my needs.

I wish when they design kitchens, they could leave a space at the open end
for a fridge that has no stupid cabinet above it. The cabinet above mine is
useless. Too difficult to get in it. My friend just cut her cabinet off but
that would work well here as mine is part of a larger unit and there is
another cabinet to the side of it.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

---

I've never had one with an ice maker. As a kid, my friend had one. It made
somewhat largish half circles that tended to melt slightly and stick
together. One day we went to her house after school. When she opened the
freezer door, all these cubes tumbled out. It was chock full and still
producing. My friend was a math whiz but apparently not too bright in other
departments. She climbed up to the top shelf of the cupboard and got down
her dad's favorite bar type glasses. I remember my dad having some that we
weren't allowed to touch. All dads seemed to in those days.

She tried filling the glasses repeatedly then dumping them down the sink. Of
course this was taking forever. I knew nothing about ice makers but assumed
that it could be shut off and mentioned it. She said it could but she needed
to get the cubes out first. I told her to get a bucket. She said she
couldn't because it was in the other room. So I said to use the dishpan. She
said she couldn't because it had some dishes in it. I then told her to use a
mixing bowl or something but she was hell bent on using those glasses. I
didn't know where stuff was kept in the kitchen but I did find a big bowl.
And just as I was taking it out of the cupboard, her dad came home from
work. He saw her with the glasses, ice all over the floor.Yelled at her for
touching the glasses. This startled her and she dropped them. They broke,
adding to the mess.

Meanwhile, her dad grabbed the bowl from me and managed to get enough ice
out fairly quickly using the bowl, then shut off the ice maker.

I think I was 7 or 8 at the time. Put me right off of that type of ice
maker.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 10:41:47 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

The only reason I got the second side by side is that due to the design of
my kitchen, nothing else will fit. Well that's not quite true. I could get a
very small as in apartment sized top freezer model but it would leave a lot
of space on either side and would be too small for my needs.

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18, 20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 8:28 PM, wrote:

Tonight's dinnerm 1" THK pork chops... delicious!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1gttbata2/

I would eat the chop but you may keep the beans. (I prefer beans in
soup).

Jill

Me, too.

I'd skip the chop and eat the beans.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:04:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 10:41:47 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

The only reason I got the second side by side is that due to the design of
my kitchen, nothing else will fit. Well that's not quite true. I could get a
very small as in apartment sized top freezer model but it would leave a lot
of space on either side and would be too small for my needs.

If you've got room for a side-by-side refrigerator then a standard 18, 20, 22
inch refrigerator will fit in the area your present chill chest occupies.

There might not be enough room to open the door on a standard fridge. I
had a layout like that. I ended up getting a new French-door fridge that
I put in the dining room and adding a base cabinet where the old fridge was.
It was better to have some set-down space next to the stove anyway.

Cindy Hamilton