Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Foods Real Ketchup

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 10:54:43 AM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Given the time period, almost all mustard sold anywhere was yellow
> and French's.

I remember Plochman's, and I think my grandfather bought their
brown mustard.

I realize you said "almost". But it made me look at the website
of the National Mustard Museum.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> I always like to put some ketchup on scrambled eggs. It's a "thing" on this rock. My understanding is that it's a "thing" on parts of the mainland too. To some people it's kind of a repulsive practice. I'll put on whatever kind of ketchup is at hand and I always enjoy it - unless the egg is overcooked. I can't abide by overcooked eggs.

I still like ketchup on eggs occasionally. Started that when I
was about 10 years old.

When I make scrambled eggs, I cook 4 of them. I like them plain
with S&P and sometimes some melted cheese mixed in too. I always
put a blob of ketchup on the side though. I often will mix that
in just for the last few bites of the egg.

Every so often, I make fried egg sandwiches for dinner...
- 4 pieces of toast
- 1 slice american cheese divided for both sandwiches
- 3 over easy eggs, then 1 1/2 on each sandwich.
- S&P on both, and ketchup on one of them

I'll eat the plain egg and cheese first....yum
The second one with ketchup is also yum....it's my dessert one

Nothing childish about using ketchup unless you are trying to act
superior here. I don't care. I like what I like. :-)

I also don't care about brands. Right now here, I have Heinz,
Hunts, Essential Everyday, and a 20 oz bottle of Nickolodean
SLIME sauce. It's a bright green ketchup. Very odd but tastes
just like any other ketchup. Made from Great Value Ketchup - sold
in Walmart. heh eheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Floods Real Ketchup

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 11:24:17 -0600, graham wrote:

>>> It is designed to kill weeds, but the concentration of chemicals can
>>> still be toxic to bees.* Would you drink it?* Does some get sprayed on
>>> flowers that bees would pollinate?* Not saying it is the cause, but it
>>> can be a contributing factor.
>>>
>>> It has been show to cause cancer in humans,

>> NO, it hasn't!!!
>> Read paragraph 5 in the Wicki article on glyphosate.

> The tort lawyers here in the U.S. are already trying to round up
> people who have non-Hodgkin lymphomas and have been exposed to
> Roundup, ghoign as far to adevrtise on TV a dozen or more times a
> day for possible plaintiffs. Betting on a huge payout (of which
> they'll take 65%) and the fact that they'll prove it's causing these
> B-cell lymphomas.
>
> I'm not naive enough to believe that Monsanto hasn't paid off and
> infiltrated dozens of organizations, government agencies, and
> politicians to cover up the negative reports. I'd personally like
> to see all the corporate lobbyists (not just Monsanto) rounded up
> and shot in the head. And then do it monthly thereafter. Most
> lobbying is organized crime and corruption sponsored by politicians
> and at the expense of the real people.
>
> -sw

I spent nearly 10 years working in an inpatient hospital cancer unit (blood
and marrow cancers and lymphomas, not solid organ cancer), and I can tell
you a vast majority of our patients were crop farmers or from rural areas,
pocket areas, actually. The percentage far exceeded societal
demographics. It was no secret among the doctors and staff that RoundUp
exposure was a likely cause. Proven or fake news, my experience gives me
cause for concern.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ketchup, it's what's for breakfast, Was: Best Foods Real Ketchup

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 24-Sep-2018, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> "l not -l" wrote in message ...
>

> On 23-Sep-2018, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:21:54 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > >
> > > Depends on the use. Adding it as an ingredient to a big pot of
> > > something, brand nuances are lost. If you put it on an otherwise
> > > delicate dish, say scrambled eggs, then you can tell the difference.

> > I always like to put some ketchup on scrambled eggs. It's a "thing" on
> > this rock. My understanding is that it's a "thing" on parts of the
> > mainland too. To some people it's kind of a repulsive practice. I'll put
> > on whatever kind of ketchup is at hand and I always enjoy it - unless
> > the
> > egg is overcooked. I can't abide by overcooked eggs.

> I don't think I've put ketchup on eggs since I was 8 or 9 years old and,
> it
> was known as catsup then. I think I'll try it again this week; maybe I'll
> be reminded why I quit doing it.
>
> ==
>
> I used to use it when I was a child, but now I find it too sweet.

I did it, I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs this morning for the first time
in over 60 years. Meh! It was a mistake to use Heinz, as several have
mentioned, it's too sweet. All this ketchup talk has made me long for
Brooks tangy ketchup, which I will look for on my shopping trip. If I can
find it, I'll try it on scrambled eggs to see if I can rekindle the taste I
had for the combination long-ago. Then again, maybe my palate has just
become more sophisticated than when I was of a single-digit age.

==

Brilliant! The only ketchup I know is Heinz I'm not sure I've seen
anything else, but then to be honest, I've never looked for it.

Just the idea of it puts me off, but as I said, I don't know anything else.
Let me know if you find something you actually like and I can see if I can
find some

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:52:37 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 11:24:17 -0600, graham wrote:
>>
>>> NO, it hasn't!!!
>>> Read paragraph 5 in the Wicki article on glyphosate.

>> The tort lawyers here in the U.S. are already trying to round up
>> people who have non-Hodgkin lymphomas and have been exposed to
>> Roundup, ghoign as far to adevrtise on TV a dozen or more times a
>> day for possible plaintiffs. Betting on a huge payout (of which
>> they'll take 65%) and the fact that they'll prove it's causing these
>> B-cell lymphomas.
>>
>> I'm not naive enough to believe that Monsanto hasn't paid off and
>> infiltrated dozens of organizations, government agencies, and
>> politicians to cover up the negative reports. I'd personally like
>> to see all the corporate lobbyists (not just Monsanto) rounded up
>> and shot in the head. And then do it monthly thereafter. Most
>> lobbying is organized crime and corruption sponsored by politicians
>> and at the expense of the real people.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>I spent nearly 10 years working in an inpatient hospital cancer unit (blood
>and marrow cancers and lymphomas, not solid organ cancer), and I can tell
>you a vast majority of our patients were crop farmers or from rural areas,
>pocket areas, actually. The percentage far exceeded societal
>demographics. It was no secret among the doctors and staff that RoundUp
>exposure was a likely cause. Proven or fake news, my experience gives me
>cause for concern.

Wow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 12:05:25 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> Here too, we use very little ketchup, a large bottle of Heinz red can
>> be in the fridge for over a year. However I had some ketchup today,
>> with last night's left over potato omelet from the fridge I had for
>> lunch... left over cold potato omelet is about all I use it for....
>> I'd much rather eat left over eggs cold than reheated.

>So WHY make such a large one dozen egg batch each time? Cold
>potato omelet is TIAD and I'm sure you know that. Better to toss
>leftovers out the porthole to the rats in the yard.

LOL, you're starting to sound like the person you're talking to. I
think that's called mirroring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:38:26 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here too, we use very little ketchup, a large bottle of Heinz red
>> > can be in the fridge for over a year. However I had some ketchup
>> > today, with last night's left over potato omelet from the fridge I
>> > had for lunch... left over cold potato omelet is about all I use it
>> > for.... I'd much rather eat left over eggs cold than reheated.

>> So WHY make such a large one dozen egg batch each time? Cold
>> potato omelet is TIAD and I'm sure you know that. Better to toss
>> leftovers out the porthole to the rats in the yard.
>>
>> Next time, just make a one meal batch...like 6 eggs.

>A lot of people cook extra just for the quick and easy leftovers.
>
>If I were to boil up some potatoes for a dish, I'd add extras and make
>a potato salad with them.

It would be silly to cook a potato omelet for just one meal, it's a
little labor intensive and time consuming; peeling and dicing potatoes
takes some time, and then pan frying long and slow, for at least an
hour. Then when adding the beaten eggs again cooked long and slow, at
least 40 minutes. It's really a frittata. It's good for our dinner
and then for lunch the next day. My wife brings hers to school for
lunch, she detests the school cafeteria food, as do the students,
there are microwaves at school so she can warm hers. I like mine cold
with Heinz red. Both of us enjoy left overs, never bothers us to eat
the same thing two, three days in a row. Occasionally I'll make an 18
egg potato omelet and freeze a couple portions.

I almost always cook enough to have left overs for another meal...
also saves from having to cook again plus the clean up. I would never
cook a stew/soup for just one meal. Today beef roasts were on sale
got two eye rounds, and two top rounds, about 4 pounds eash. One top
round is already seasoned and in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner...
it'll suffice for two dinners plus sandwiches. Besides roast beef can
also become pot roast, I'll decide tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 11:24:17 -0600, graham wrote:

> On 2018-09-22 10:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> It has been show to cause cancer in humans,

> NO, it hasn't!!!
> Read paragraph 5 in the Wicki article on glyphosate.
>
>>imagine what it can do to a
>> tiny bee,

> And that's the trouble with unfounded speculations: Imagination!

Apparently it has been shown to cause cancer, in the Jury's eyes at
least. To the tune of $289 million for a single cancer patient. I
guess that explains all the TV commercials from the tort law firms
rounding up cancer patients.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uit/962297002/

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 09:30:19 +0100, Pamela > wrote:

>From: "Ophelia" > Message-ID:
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>

>"l not -l" wrote in message ...
>

>On 24-Sep-2018, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>> I used to use it when I was a child, but now I find it too sweet.

>I did it, I put ketchup on my scrambled eggs this morning for the
>first time in over 60 years. Meh! It was a mistake to use Heinz, as
>several have mentioned, it's too sweet. All this ketchup talk has
>made me long for Brooks tangy ketchup, which I will look for on my
>shopping trip. If I can find it, I'll try it on scrambled eggs to
>see if I can rekindle the taste I had for the combination long-ago.
>Then again, maybe my palate has just become more sophisticated than
>when I was of a single-digit age.
>
>==
>
>Brilliant! The only ketchup I know is Heinz I'm not sure I've
>seen anything else, but then to be honest, I've never looked for it.
>
>Just the idea of it puts me off, but as I said, I don't know
>anything else. Let me know if you find something you actually like
>and I can see if I can find some
>
>==================
>
>+1
>
>Why use ketchup at all when cheese goes so much better with scarmbled
>eggs?

Totally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-26 10:26 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 26 Sep 2018 01:30:19a, Pamela told us...
>
>> Why use ketchup at all when cheese goes so much better with
>> scarmbled eggs?
>>

> Yes, cheese is really good in sramled eggs. Catsup on scrambled eggs
> just looks like a bloody mess.

Spinach and hot sauce is better with eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Yes, cheese is really good in sramled eggs. Catsup on scrambled eggs
> just looks like a bloody mess.

Crybaby
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-26 3:41 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 26 Sep 2018 10:18:41a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> On 2018-09-26 10:26 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Wed 26 Sep 2018 01:30:19a, Pamela told us...

>>> Yes, cheese is really good in sramled eggs. Catsup on scrambled
>>> eggs just looks like a bloody mess.

>> Spinach and hot sauce is better with eggs.
>>

> Along side of the eggs, I assume, not in them. Yes, that would be
> very good. I sometimes add a few shakes of hot sauce on top of my
> scrambled eggs, but nver catsup.

Nope. Spinach in the eggs. I season the eggs with salt and pepper, add a
little water and some hot sauce, the quantity varying with the heat of
the sauce, then beat them. I chop up the spinach while the pan is
heating up with some butter in it. I toss the spinach in and let it go
for about 15 seconds and then add the eggs, cooking them only until they
are still wet.

I tried eggs Florentine at a second rate breakfast joint a couple
years ago but was disappointed because the "Hollandaise" was a cheap
imitation of the real thing. It was more of a thickened chicken stock
with very very finely chopped spinach. I tried it recently at some of
the better breakfast and lunch places where they used real Hollandaise
and wilted spinach. I have a new favourite breakfast dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-26 4:42 PM, l not -l wrote:
> I don't think I'd care for spinach in scrambled eggs; but, I occasionally
> enjoy it, with cheese, in an omelet.

I didn't think I would either. I can handle spinach in Spanokapita, or
some spinach in with a green salad, maybe even a little spinach salad,
but not cooked. My son introduced me to the spinach and hot sauce in
scrambled eggs and I loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 00:31:09 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 26 Sep 2018 02:21:23p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> Nope. Spinach in the eggs. I season the eggs with salt and pepper,
>> add a little water and some hot sauce, the quantity varying with
>> the heat of the sauce, then beat them. I chop up the spinach while
>> the pan is heating up with some butter in it. I toss the spinach
>> in and let it go for about 15 seconds and then add the eggs,
>> cooking them only until they are still wet.
>>
>> I tried eggs Florentine at a second rate breakfast joint a
>> couple
>> years ago but was disappointed because the "Hollandaise" was a
>> cheap imitation of the real thing. It was more of a thickened
>> chicken stock with very very finely chopped spinach. I tried it
>> recently at some of the better breakfast and lunch places where
>> they used real Hollandaise and wilted spinach. I have a new
>> favourite breakfast dish.
>>

>This probably doesn't make sense to others, but I would not like the
>spinach mixed in the scrambled eggs. However, I would like spinach
>as a filling in an omelete.

How very precise of you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 13:19:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Yes, cheese is really good in sramled eggs. Catsup on scrambled eggs
>> just looks like a bloody mess.

>Crybaby

That would be Whinebaby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 15:09:38 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>As I speculated, my palate has become more sophisticated in the intervening
>years. Ketchup is boring on scrambled eggs. Properly prepared scrambled
>eggs (using a bit of butter) need little more than salt and pepper to be
>very good. Cheese is a nice, occasional variation and cheese with diced
>green chilies is also a very nice variation. But, scrambling of high
>quality eggs in a bit of good butter, with a bit of salt and pepper is a
>great way to let the quality of the ingredients shine.

You got your taste in your ass... what a friggin' snob... the only
eggs you've ever eaten were prepared by your mommy.

Best and most sophisticated fried egg dish is a western, made with
SPAM:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4e/9b/f9/4...79e1140214.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 01:06:39 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 26 Sep 2018 05:36:00p, Brice told us...
>
>> On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 00:31:09 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 26 Sep 2018 02:21:23p, Dave Smith told us...

>>>This probably doesn't make sense to others, but I would not like
>>>the spinach mixed in the scrambled eggs. However, I would like
>>>spinach as a filling in an omelete.

>> How very precise of you.
>>

>I was raised in a very precise household and precision has been
>ingrained in me for a lifetime. :-)

Lol, ok.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 17:28:04 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-09-26 4:42 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> I don't think I'd care for spinach in scrambled eggs; but, I occasionally
>> enjoy it, with cheese, in an omelet.

>I didn't think I would either. I can handle spinach in Spanokapita, or
>some spinach in with a green salad, maybe even a little spinach salad,
>but not cooked. My son introduced me to the spinach and hot sauce in
>scrambled eggs and I loved it.

Spinach quiche is quite delicious... with ground SPAM makes it a
Popeye special.

Now I'm craving Italian pork bread but with SPAM.
https://newyork.seriouseats.com/2012...y-italian.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com says...

> Best and most sophisticated fried egg dish is a western, made with
> SPAM:
> https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4e/9b/f9/4...79e1140214.jpg

Looks like something the dog ate

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:19:15 +0100, Janet wrote:

> In article >, penmart01
> @aol.com says...
>
>> Best and most sophisticated fried egg dish is a western, made with
>> SPAM:
>> https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4e/9b/f9/4...79e1140214.jpg

Uh, that's "SPAM Western Pasta Salad", not a western omelet. There
is no fried egg in there. You have a 110% failure rate when you
post web cites, you know that, right?

> Looks like something the dog ate

A dog with worms, that it ate and shit back out.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Uh, that's "SPAM Western Pasta Salad", not a western omelet. There
> is no fried egg in there.

Yep. I was going to ask about the missing egg too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 27-Sep-2018, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:19:15 +0100, Janet wrote:
>>
>> > In article >, penmart01
>> > @aol.com says...

>> Uh, that's "SPAM Western Pasta Salad", not a western omelet. There
>> is no fried egg in there. You have a 110% failure rate when you
>> post web cites, you know that, right?
>>
>> > Looks like something the dog ate

>> A dog with worms, that it ate and shit back out.

> Hmm; Mac 'n cheese with SPAM. I was thinking it looked like prison food
> (prisoner made, in cell with crap from prison store) or 3-rd world ships
> galley food.

As a SPAM lover, I think it looks very tasty.

Cheri