Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Best Foods Real Ketchup

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:38:26 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here too, we use very little ketchup, a large bottle of Heinz red
>> > can be in the fridge for over a year. However I had some ketchup
>> > today, with last night's left over potato omelet from the fridge I
>> > had for lunch... left over cold potato omelet is about all I use it
>> > for.... I'd much rather eat left over eggs cold than reheated.

>> So WHY make such a large one dozen egg batch each time? Cold
>> potato omelet is TIAD and I'm sure you know that. Better to toss
>> leftovers out the porthole to the rats in the yard.
>>
>> Next time, just make a one meal batch...like 6 eggs.

>A lot of people cook extra just for the quick and easy leftovers.
>
>If I were to boil up some potatoes for a dish, I'd add extras and make
>a potato salad with them.

It would be silly to cook a potato omelet for just one meal, it's a
little labor intensive and time consuming; peeling and dicing potatoes
takes some time, and then pan frying long and slow, for at least an
hour. Then when adding the beaten eggs again cooked long and slow, at
least 40 minutes. It's really a frittata. It's good for our dinner
and then for lunch the next day. My wife brings hers to school for
lunch, she detests the school cafeteria food, as do the students,
there are microwaves at school so she can warm hers. I like mine cold
with Heinz red. Both of us enjoy left overs, never bothers us to eat
the same thing two, three days in a row. Occasionally I'll make an 18
egg potato omelet and freeze a couple portions.

I almost always cook enough to have left overs for another meal...
also saves from having to cook again plus the clean up. I would never
cook a stew/soup for just one meal. Today beef roasts were on sale
got two eye rounds, and two top rounds, about 4 pounds eash. One top
round is already seasoned and in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner...
it'll suffice for two dinners plus sandwiches. Besides roast beef can
also become pot roast, I'll decide tomorrow.