Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Floods Real Ketchup

I bought BF Mayonnaise yesterday and it came with a sample pack of their
Real Ketchup "sweetened only with honey." The sample is the size of a
take out ketchup pack from fast food. May be too little to even get a
good taste. Haven't tried it yet. Best Foods mayo is truly the best off
the shelf for me. I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
Heinz though.

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best Foods Real Ketchup

On 9/21/18 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
> I bought BF Mayonnaise yesterday and it came with a sample pack of their
> Real Ketchup "sweetened only with honey." The sample is the size of a
> take out ketchup pack from fast food. May be too little to even get a
> good taste. Haven't tried it yet. Best Foods mayo is truly the best off
> the shelf for me.Â* I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
> Heinz though.
>
> jay

I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
but true.

Heinz 57 is the winner!

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-21 12:49 PM, jay wrote:
> On 9/21/18 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>> I bought BF Mayonnaise yesterday and it came with a sample pack of
>> their Real Ketchup "sweetened only with honey." The sample is the size
>> of a take out ketchup pack from fast food. May be too little to even
>> get a good taste. Haven't tried it yet. Best Foods mayo is truly the
>> best off the shelf for me.Â* I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to
>> replace my Heinz though.
>>
>> jay

> I have now taste tested it against Heinz.Â* It is darker in color and has
> an allspice like flavor that stands out.Â* It may also be a bit thicker.
> I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
> much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
> but true.
>
> Heinz 57 is the winner!
>
> jay

Well, the original Unilever was Lever Brothers who started the business
making soap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 12:49:24 -0600, jay > wrote:

>On 9/21/18 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>> I bought BF Mayonnaise yesterday and it came with a sample pack of their
>> Real Ketchup "sweetened only with honey." The sample is the size of a
>> take out ketchup pack from fast food. May be too little to even get a
>> good taste. Haven't tried it yet. Best Foods mayo is truly the best off
>> the shelf for me.* I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
>> Heinz though.
>>
>> jay

>I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
>an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
>I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
>much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
>but true.

Soon the whole world will be owned by Unilever and Google.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 12:49:24 -0600, jay > wrote:
>
>>On 9/21/18 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>>> I bought BF Mayonnaise yesterday and it came with a sample pack of their
>>> Real Ketchup "sweetened only with honey." The sample is the size of a
>>> take out ketchup pack from fast food. May be too little to even get a
>>> good taste. Haven't tried it yet. Best Foods mayo is truly the best off
>>> the shelf for me. I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
>>> Heinz though.
>>>
>>> jay

>>I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
>>an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
>>I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
>>much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
>>but true.

> Soon the whole world will be owned by Unilever and Google.

I think you could easily add Amazon to that.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:05:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
>>>an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
>>>I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
>>>much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
>>>but true.

>> Soon the whole world will be owned by Unilever and Google.

>I think you could easily add Amazon to that.

Ok, the holy trinity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
>>>an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
>>>I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
>>>much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
>>>but true.

>> Soon the whole world will be owned by Unilever and Google.

>I think you could easily add Amazon to that.
>
>Cheri

And add Neuvo Rich Boy Kootchie! hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2018 1:36 PM, jay wrote:
> I bought BF Mayonnaise yesterday and it came with a sample pack of their
> Real Ketchup "sweetened only with honey." The sample is the size of a
> take out ketchup pack from fast food. May be too little to even get a
> good taste. Haven't tried it yet. Best Foods mayo is truly the best off
> the shelf for me.Â* I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
> Heinz though.
>
> jay

I have an 8 oz bottle of it as a freebie from Stop & Shop. Still have
half a bottle of Simply Heinz so have not tried it yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2018 2:55 PM, Druce wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 12:49:24 -0600, jay > wrote:
>
>> On 9/21/18 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>>> I bought BF Mayonnaise yesterday and it came with a sample pack of their
>>> Real Ketchup "sweetened only with honey." The sample is the size of a
>>> take out ketchup pack from fast food. May be too little to even get a
>>> good taste. Haven't tried it yet. Best Foods mayo is truly the best off
>>> the shelf for me.Â* I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
>>> Heinz though.
>>>
>>> jay

>> I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
>> an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
>> I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
>> much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
>> but true.

> Soon the whole world will be owned by Unilever and Google.

And whatever they make will be shipped to you by Amazon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/18 3:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I have an 8 oz bottle of it as a freebie from Stop & Shop.Â* Still have
> half a bottle of Simply Heinz so have not tried it yet.

That's a generous sample. What came with the mayo was a 9 gram squeeze
pack. Interested to hear what you think about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2018 11:36 AM, jay wrote:

> I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
> Heinz though.

I've got Heinz Organic ketchup. It sez on the pkg, "organic cane
suger", among other "organic" stuff. No honey.

I find it strange that honey is being used in more and more items, yet
bees are disappearing. How does that work?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:05:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Soon the whole world will be owned by Unilever and Google.

>>I think you could easily add Amazon to that.

> Ok, the holy trinity.

As long as we're doing it, don't forget ADM, they will probably control the
worlds' food one day.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2018 6:35 PM, jay wrote:
> On 9/21/18 3:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I have an 8 oz bottle of it as a freebie from Stop & Shop.Â* Still have
>> half a bottle of Simply Heinz so have not tried it yet.

> That's a generous sample. What came with the mayo was a 9 gram squeeze
> pack. Interested to hear what you think about it.

The chain has an occasional Freebie Friday. I get an email and can load
the coupon to my loyalty card. Price is deducted at the register, as
are all loaded coupons. Last week it was a new brand of yogury, this
week it is cherry juice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 17:40:02 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 13:05:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I think you could easily add Amazon to that.

>> Ok, the holy trinity.

>As long as we're doing it, don't forget ADM, they will probably control the
>worlds' food one day.

The holy quadrupility. But who's ADM? Am I eating their food without
knowing it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2018 8:23 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 9/21/2018 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my Heinz though.

> I've got Heinz Organic ketchup.Â* It sez on the pkg, "organic cane
> suger", among other "organic" stuff.Â* No honey.
>
> I find it strange that honey is being used in more and more items, yet
> bees are disappearing.Â* How does that work?Â*
>
> nb

I had wondered that too, and honey is not cheap. I'm thinking they have
a way of putting bees through a wringer to squeeze more honey from them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Druce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 17:40:02 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Druce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Ok, the holy trinity.

>>As long as we're doing it, don't forget ADM, they will probably control
>>the
>>worlds' food one day.

> The holy quadrupility. But who's ADM? Am I eating their food without
> knowing it?

Oh yeah, you are in some form or other. Archer-Daniels-Midland.

"Along with another US agribusiness conglomerate, Cargill, ADM is part of a
global food duopoly. Together, the two companies control 75 percent of the
world's grain supply and equally high percentages of numerous other food
categories."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:28:02 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Druce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 17:40:02 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>As long as we're doing it, don't forget ADM, they will probably control
>>>the
>>>worlds' food one day.

>> The holy quadrupility. But who's ADM? Am I eating their food without
>> knowing it?

>Oh yeah, you are in some form or other. Archer-Daniels-Midland.
>
>"Along with another US agribusiness conglomerate, Cargill, ADM is part of a
>global food duopoly. Together, the two companies control 75 percent of the
>world's grain supply and equally high percentages of numerous other food
>categories."

It's the first time I hear of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 8:23:10 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> On 9/21/2018 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my
> > Heinz though.

> I've got Heinz Organic ketchup. It sez on the pkg, "organic cane
> suger", among other "organic" stuff. No honey.
>
> I find it strange that honey is being used in more and more items, yet
> bees are disappearing. How does that work?
>
> nb

International trade.

<https://www.statista.com/statistics/252276/us-honey-imports-by-country-of-origin-2010/>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/18 6:23 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 9/21/2018 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my Heinz though.

> I've got Heinz Organic ketchup.Â* It sez on the pkg, "organic cane
> suger", among other "organic" stuff.Â* No honey.
>
> I find it strange that honey is being used in more and more items, yet
> bees are disappearing.Â* How does that work?Â*
>
> nb

A lot of honey is imported. Sadly in the US there are a lot of bee
killing pesticides being used. Neonicotinoid pesticides are used on a
lot of plants being sold in the US. It causes the bee colonies to
collapse. Home Depot has agreed to quit selling plants that are treated
with it.

Then there is Round Up. Not sure we really know who all it's killing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 5:43 AM, jay wrote:

> A lot of honey is imported.

Yes, I know. I was being facetious.

According to Michael Pollan, the US has decided to NOT import Chinese
honey. Soooo, China exports most of their honey to other SE Asian
countries (Vietnam, etc), who then export it to the US. Michael also
claims most of China's honey IS "adulterated".

I was jes looking to make rfc folks aware.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-22 5:43 AM, jay wrote:
> On 9/21/18 6:23 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 9/21/2018 11:36 AM, jay wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking their ketchup isn't going to replace my Heinz though.

>> I've got Heinz Organic ketchup.Â* It sez on the pkg, "organic cane
>> suger", among other "organic" stuff.Â* No honey.
>>
>> I find it strange that honey is being used in more and more items, yet
>> bees are disappearing.Â* How does that work?Â*
>>
>> nb

> A lot of honey is imported.Â* Sadly in the US there are a lot of bee
> killing pesticides being used. Neonicotinoid pesticides are used on a
> lot of plants being sold in the US.Â* It causes the bee colonies to
> collapse.Â* Home Depot has agreed to quit selling plants that are treated
> with it.
>
> Then there is Round Up.Â* Not sure we really know who all it's killing.

It's a weed killer! FFS stick to the facts!!! You look like an anti-vaxxer!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 07:25:00 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 9/22/2018 5:43 AM, jay wrote:
>
>> A lot of honey is imported.

>Yes, I know. I was being facetious.
>
>According to Michael Pollan, the US has decided to NOT import Chinese
>honey. Soooo, China exports most of their honey to other SE Asian
>countries (Vietnam, etc), who then export it to the US. Michael also
>claims most of China's honey IS "adulterated".
>
>I was jes looking to make rfc folks aware.

They did molecular testing on Australian honey and half of the brands
were not 100% what they said they were. To the point that supermarkets
stopped selling the bad brands until further notice. If that's the
case for Australian honey, you can bet it's twice as bad for Chinese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2018 10:27 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-09-22 5:43 AM, jay wrote:

>>> I've got Heinz Organic ketchup.Â* It sez on the pkg, "organic cane
>>> suger", among other "organic" stuff.Â* No honey.
>>>
>>> I find it strange that honey is being used in more and more items,
>>> yet bees are disappearing.Â* How does that work?Â*
>>>
>>> nb

>> A lot of honey is imported.Â* Sadly in the US there are a lot of bee
>> killing pesticides being used. Neonicotinoid pesticides are used on a
>> lot of plants being sold in the US.Â* It causes the bee colonies to
>> collapse.Â* Home Depot has agreed to quit selling plants that are
>> treated with it.
>>
>> Then there is Round Up.Â* Not sure we really know who all it's killing.

> It's a weed killer! FFS stick to the facts!!! You look like an anti-vaxxer!

It is designed to kill weeds, but the concentration of chemicals can
still be toxic to bees. Would you drink it? Does some get sprayed on
flowers that bees would pollinate? Not saying it is the cause, but it
can be a contributing factor.

It has been show to cause cancer in humans, imagine what it can do to a
tiny bee, Really Graham, you should know better unless you can show
studies done on bees.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:28:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/22/2018 10:27 AM, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-09-22 5:43 AM, jay wrote:

>>> Then there is Round Up.* Not sure we really know who all it's killing.

>> It's a weed killer! FFS stick to the facts!!! You look like an anti-vaxxer!

>It is designed to kill weeds, but the concentration of chemicals can
>still be toxic to bees. Would you drink it? Does some get sprayed on
>flowers that bees would pollinate? Not saying it is the cause, but it
>can be a contributing factor.
>
>It has been show to cause cancer in humans, imagine what it can do to a
>tiny bee, Really Graham, you should know better unless you can show
>studies done on bees.

Graham only believes what he can see and there are many things he
can't see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-22 10:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/22/2018 10:27 AM, graham wrote:

>>> A lot of honey is imported.Â* Sadly in the US there are a lot of bee
>>> killing pesticides being used. Neonicotinoid pesticides are used on a
>>> lot of plants being sold in the US.Â* It causes the bee colonies to
>>> collapse.Â* Home Depot has agreed to quit selling plants that are
>>> treated with it.
>>>
>>> Then there is Round Up.Â* Not sure we really know who all it's killing.

>> It's a weed killer! FFS stick to the facts!!! You look like an
>> anti-vaxxer!

> It is designed to kill weeds, but the concentration of chemicals can
> still be toxic to bees.Â* Would you drink it?Â* Does some get sprayed on
> flowers that bees would pollinate?Â* Not saying it is the cause, but it
> can be a contributing factor.
>
> It has been show to cause cancer in humans,

NO, it hasn't!!!
Read paragraph 5 in the Wicki article on glyphosate.

>imagine what it can do to a
> tiny bee,

And that's the trouble with unfounded speculations: Imagination!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 11:24:17 -0600, graham wrote:

> On 2018-09-22 10:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> It's a weed killer! FFS stick to the facts!!! You look like an
>>> anti-vaxxer!

>> It is designed to kill weeds, but the concentration of chemicals can
>> still be toxic to bees.* Would you drink it?* Does some get sprayed on
>> flowers that bees would pollinate?* Not saying it is the cause, but it
>> can be a contributing factor.
>>
>> It has been show to cause cancer in humans,

> NO, it hasn't!!!
> Read paragraph 5 in the Wicki article on glyphosate.

The tort lawyers here in the U.S. are already trying to round up
people who have non-Hodgkin lymphomas and have been exposed to
Roundup, ghoign as far to adevrtise on TV a dozen or more times a
day for possible plaintiffs. Betting on a huge payout (of which
they'll take 65%) and the fact that they'll prove it's causing these
B-cell lymphomas.

I'm not naive enough to believe that Monsanto hasn't paid off and
infiltrated dozens of organizations, government agencies, and
politicians to cover up the negative reports. I'd personally like
to see all the corporate lobbyists (not just Monsanto) rounded up
and shot in the head. And then do it monthly thereafter. Most
lobbying is organized crime and corruption sponsored by politicians
and at the expense of the real people.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 8:49:28 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:

> I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
> an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
> I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
> much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
> but true.
>
> Heinz 57 is the winner!
>
> jay

Ketchup is important in my cooking. I love the stuff. It adds sweetness and brightness to a dish. It never occured to me to buy according to brand. The winner in my book, is the cheapest stuff I can get my paws on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2018 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> Heinz 57 is the winner!
>>
>> jay

> Ketchup is important in my cooking. I love the stuff. It adds sweetness and brightness to a dish. It never occured to me to buy according to brand. The winner in my book, is the cheapest stuff I can get my paws on.

Depends on the use. Adding it as an ingredient to a big pot of
something, brand nuances are lost. If you put it on an otherwise
delicate dish, say scrambled eggs, then you can tell the difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:21:54 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Depends on the use. Adding it as an ingredient to a big pot of
> something, brand nuances are lost. If you put it on an otherwise
> delicate dish, say scrambled eggs, then you can tell the difference.

I always like to put some ketchup on scrambled eggs. It's a "thing" on this rock. My understanding is that it's a "thing" on parts of the mainland too.. To some people it's kind of a repulsive practice. I'll put on whatever kind of ketchup is at hand and I always enjoy it - unless the egg is overcooked. I can't abide by overcooked eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 15:21:49 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/23/2018 3:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>>> Heinz 57 is the winner!
>>>
>>> jay

>> Ketchup is important in my cooking. I love the stuff. It adds sweetness and brightness to a dish. It never occured to me to buy according to brand. The winner in my book, is the cheapest stuff I can get my paws on.
>>

>Depends on the use. Adding it as an ingredient to a big pot of
>something, brand nuances are lost. If you put it on an otherwise
>delicate dish, say scrambled eggs, then you can tell the difference.

But why would you pour supermarket sauce over a delicate dish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/18 1:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 8:49:28 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:
>>
>> I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
>> an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
>> I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
>> much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
>> but true.
>>
>> Heinz 57 is the winner!
>>
>> jay

> Ketchup is important in my cooking. I love the stuff. It adds sweetness and brightness to a dish. It never occured to me to buy according to brand. The winner in my book, is the cheapest stuff I can get my paws on.

Any brand works if you're cooking with it since it is a small part of
the dish most likely. I usually use it as a dipping condiment for
things like french fries, hash browns, salmon croquettes etc. where
flavor may be more important as Ed stated.

A 20 oz bottle last me a very long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 10:31:41 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:

> Any brand works if you're cooking with it since it is a small part of
> the dish most likely. I usually use it as a dipping condiment for
> things like french fries, hash browns, salmon croquettes etc. where
> flavor may be more important as Ed stated.
>
> A 20 oz bottle last me a very long time.

You can afford to be picky about ketchup. It's more like a generic/commodity product to me. I won't spend much on the stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 14:31:36 -0600, jay > wrote:

>On 9/23/18 1:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 8:49:28 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:
>>>
>>> I have now taste tested it against Heinz. It is darker in color and has
>>> an allspice like flavor that stands out. It may also be a bit thicker.
>>> I like the idea of no HFCS but don't care for the allspice flavor so
>>> much. The BF mayo and ketchup are owned by Unilever as is Dove soap. Sad
>>> but true.
>>>
>>> Heinz 57 is the winner!
>>>
>>> jay

>> Ketchup is important in my cooking. I love the stuff. It adds sweetness and brightness to a dish. It never occured to me to buy according to brand. The winner in my book, is the cheapest stuff I can get my paws on.
>>

>Any brand works if you're cooking with it since it is a small part of
>the dish most likely. I usually use it as a dipping condiment for
>things like french fries, hash browns, salmon croquettes etc. where
>flavor may be more important as Ed stated.
>
>A 20 oz bottle last me a very long time.

Here too, we use very little ketchup, a large bottle of Heinz red can
be in the fridge for over a year. However I had some ketchup today,
with last night's left over potato omelet from the fridge I had for
lunch... left over cold potato omelet is about all I use it for....
I'd much rather eat left over eggs cold than reheated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 13:51:27 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 10:31:41 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:
>>
>> Any brand works if you're cooking with it since it is a small part of
>> the dish most likely. I usually use it as a dipping condiment for
>> things like french fries, hash browns, salmon croquettes etc. where
>> flavor may be more important as Ed stated.
>>
>> A 20 oz bottle last me a very long time.

>You can afford to be picky about ketchup. It's more like a generic/commodity product to me. I won't spend much on the stuff.

I bet you have a huge stash of ketchup packets you lifted from fast
food joints. HEHEH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:
> On 23-Sep-2018, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:21:54 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> Depends on the use. Adding it as an ingredient to a big pot of
>>> something, brand nuances are lost. If you put it on an otherwise
>>> delicate dish, say scrambled eggs, then you can tell the difference.

>> I always like to put some ketchup on scrambled eggs. It's a "thing" on
>> this rock. My understanding is that it's a "thing" on parts of the
>> mainland too. To some people it's kind of a repulsive practice. I'll put
>> on whatever kind of ketchup is at hand and I always enjoy it - unless the
>> egg is overcooked. I can't abide by overcooked eggs.

> I don't think I've put ketchup on eggs since I was 8 or 9 years old and, it
> was known as catsup then. I think I'll try it again this week; maybe I'll
> be reminded why I quit doing it.

It's too sugary, that may be why you outgrew it and quit using it.

Instead of ketchup, try cholula hot sauce. I almost always put a splash
on eggs. It's not fiery hot, and not real sweet like ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 20:22:11 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>l not -l wrote:

>>> I always like to put some ketchup on scrambled eggs. It's a "thing" on
>>> this rock. My understanding is that it's a "thing" on parts of the
>>> mainland too. To some people it's kind of a repulsive practice. I'll put
>>> on whatever kind of ketchup is at hand and I always enjoy it - unless the
>>> egg is overcooked. I can't abide by overcooked eggs.

>> I don't think I've put ketchup on eggs since I was 8 or 9 years old and, it
>> was known as catsup then. I think I'll try it again this week; maybe I'll
>> be reminded why I quit doing it.
>>

>It's too sugary, that may be why you outgrew it and quit using it.
>
>Instead of ketchup, try cholula hot sauce. I almost always put a splash
>on eggs. It's not fiery hot, and not real sweet like ketchup.

Ketchup is for children and Hawaiians. It's like a pacifier for them.
Hence the sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 2:23:14 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> I bet you have a huge stash of ketchup packets you lifted from fast
> food joints. HEHEH

You're wrong about that. My Chinese friend has one of those. I was surprised that my boss has a stash in his drawer. I have given him some packets of condiments cause I like him and I think it's just cute. He's from New York so perhaps yoose got a stash yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 19:20:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 2:23:14 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I bet you have a huge stash of ketchup packets you lifted from fast
>> food joints. HEHEH

>You're wrong about that. My Chinese friend has one of those. I was surprised that my boss has a stash in his drawer. I have given him some packets of condiments cause I like him and I think it's just cute. He's from New York so perhaps yoose got a stash yourself.

I'm not enough into ketchup plus I've not been to any fast food joint
for some forty years... however I do like SPAM, the national meat of
Hawaii... I've never in my life eaten SPAM with ketchup... eating
hotdogs with ketchup is FAGGOT CITY.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 23-Sep-2018, dsi1 > wrote:

> On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 9:21:54 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > Depends on the use. Adding it as an ingredient to a big pot of
> > something, brand nuances are lost. If you put it on an otherwise
> > delicate dish, say scrambled eggs, then you can tell the difference.

> I always like to put some ketchup on scrambled eggs. It's a "thing" on
> this rock. My understanding is that it's a "thing" on parts of the
> mainland too. To some people it's kind of a repulsive practice. I'll put
> on whatever kind of ketchup is at hand and I always enjoy it - unless the
> egg is overcooked. I can't abide by overcooked eggs.

I don't think I've put ketchup on eggs since I was 8 or 9 years old and, it
was known as catsup then. I think I'll try it again this week; maybe I'll
be reminded why I quit doing it.

==

I used to use it when I was a child, but now I find it too sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2018 12:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 20:54:56 GMT, l not -l wrote:
>
>> I don't think I've put ketchup on eggs since I was 8 or 9 years old and, it
>> was known as catsup then. I think I'll try it again this week; maybe I'll
>> be reminded why I quit doing it.

> That's about when I stopped stopped putting ketchup on eggs, too. I
> don't know why I stopped, but now the thought curls my toenails.
> It's probably the decrease in the urge for sweets, and the fact that
> ketchup has gotten even sweeter since I was a kid.
>
> Living in Pittsburgh there was no such thing as Catsup. You might
> have seen it briefly at a national chain restaurant that just
> entered the Pittsburgh market, but they had to switch to Heinz
> within a week or two or go out of business.
>
> -sw

We live on the other end of the state and Ritter was the major brand.
We never had Heinz at home. Long out of business though.
https://www.facebook.com/PJ-Ritter-C...-254114027080/