Old 11-08-2018, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mom's Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar

I just opened a box of my moms stuff, and guess what I found a genuine Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar! Ive done a bit of pricing research, and it is worth at least a thousand dollars. A note in the jar said that my dad bought it for his newlywed wife (my mom!) way back for Easter 1947. Here is some information:

The Famous McCoy Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar:

https://auntjemimacookiejar.com/

The McCoy cookie jars are typically well loved and very hard to find in new condition.

The jar is about a foot tall. It was made between 1944 and 1947.

We have read but not confirmed that over 100,000 of these cookie jars were produced. Literally, these are the only widespread production of Aunt Jemima cookie jars ever made. However, because they were not originally collectors items, and because many were discarded after being considered derogatory, not that many remain

There is more than a bit of nostalgia attached, as one of our housemaids when I was growing up in Memphis we called Aunt Jemimaher real name was Larcey, and she was a wonderful woman who doted on our family. She had a boyfriend, Johnny, and shed always tell us, Tonights, I got me a date wid my MAN Johnny! Shed come in all happy and glowing the next day, and sometimes Id kid her by saying, Now, Larcey, did you ball Johnny last night? (Yes, its true, colored folks get red faces when embarrassed, just like us whites, lol!) When I was little tyke, I sneaked a look in her purse, and opened what I thought was a makeup compact, but inside was a big round rubber thing, which I realized much later was actually a diaphragm - LOL...!!! When Dad was stationed in Thailand, it was not possible for us to take her with us, so there were many tears. We still kept in touch, and she passed away in 1976 at the age of 87 a life well lived, Id say

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my kitchen counter the only thing is, I have to place it *securely* so that my Persia wont be able to knock it off when she is up slinking around on the counter!

Old 11-08-2018, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill McQuown wrote:

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my kitchen counter the only thing is, I have to place it *securely* so that my Persia wont be able to knock it off when she is up slinking around on the counter!

You are finally so busted! Do you not remember years ago when you
claimed your cat NEVER got on your kitchen countertops? I
remember teasing you for believing that and told you how she did
but just waited until you left the house. lol No, "she never does
that!" You taught her not to.

Well, I knew better but now you finally admit it. It took a good
while though. hahaha
Cats own the house. They only let you live there as long as you
treat them nice and feed them regularly.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2018 12:30 PM, Gary wrote:
Jill McQuown wrote:

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my kitchen counter â the only thing is, I have to place it *securely* so that my Persia wonât be able to knock it off when she is up slinking around on the counter!

You are finally so busted! Do you not remember years ago when you
claimed your cat NEVER got on your kitchen countertops? I
remember teasing you for believing that and told you how she did
but just waited until you left the house. lol No, "she never does
that!" You taught her not to.

Well, I knew better but now you finally admit it. It took a good
while though. hahaha
Cats own the house. They only let you live there as long as you
treat them nice and feed them regularly.

I never owned an Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar and neither did my mother. I
have no idea where this post came from.

Jill

Old 11-08-2018, 05:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message newsdEbD.12997$%

I never owned an Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar and neither did my mother. I
have no idea where this post came from.

Jill

It's GM, and very tiresome at that.

Cheri

Old 11-08-2018, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Jill McQuown wrote:

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my
kitchen counter the only thing is, I have to place it *securely* so
that my Persia wont be able to knock it off when she is up slinking
around on the counter!

You are finally so busted! Do you not remember years ago when you
claimed your cat NEVER got on your kitchen countertops? I
remember teasing you for believing that and told you how she did
but just waited until you left the house. lol No, "she never does
that!" You taught her not to.

Well, I knew better but now you finally admit it. It took a good
while though. hahaha
Cats own the house. They only let you live there as long as you
treat them nice and feed them regularly.

You should check the headers before your big, side holding guffaw! Ha Ha

Cheri

Old 11-08-2018, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 12:30:49 -0400, Gary wrote:

Jill McQuown wrote:

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my kitchen counter the only thing is, I have to place it *securely* so that my Persia wont be able to knock it off when she is up slinking around on the counter!

You are finally so busted! Do you not remember years ago when you
claimed your cat NEVER got on your kitchen countertops? I
remember teasing you for believing that and told you how she did
but just waited until you left the house. lol No, "she never does
that!" You taught her not to.

Well, I knew better but now you finally admit it. It took a good
while though. hahaha
Cats own the house. They only let you live there as long as you
treat them nice and feed them regularly.

I never once saw my cat Bucket get up anywhere he shouldn't, but I
knew he checked the counters when we were asleep as in the morning
light from a 15' window over the sink would reflect on the countertop
and there were clear paw prints. Sure they don't do it when you are
present but that likely makes it much more attractive for checking
when you're not.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message newsdEbD.12997$%

I never owned an Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar and neither did my mother. I
have no idea where this post came from.

Jill

It's GM, and very tiresome at that.

Cheri

Yeah, Greg tricked me. It did sound like a normal Jill post
though. I even double checked to see if I was posting to the real
Cheri here.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2018 12:53 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

You should check the headers before your big, side holding guffaw! Ha Ha

Cheri

Gary is gullible, isn't he? He fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Jill
Old 11-08-2018, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 10:56:50 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
I just opened a box of my moms stuff, and guess what I found a genuine Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar! Ive done a bit of pricing research, and it is worth at least a thousand dollars. A note in the jar said that my dad bought it for his newlywed wife (my mom!) way back for Easter 1947. Here is some information:

The Famous McCoy Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar:

https://auntjemimacookiejar.com/

I have the exact same cookie jar sitting on top of my upper cabinets.
I requested it as a Christmas present about 20 years ago and she is
a beauty. Lovely, vibrant colors and no, cookies are not kept in her
or any of my cookies jars. That's what Tupperware is for.

You can sink some serious money into collecting cookie jars.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill McQuown wrote:

[...]

I have no idea why he's crowing about "busting me" based on a fake post.

I'm pretty sure you (as well as me) are aware of what our cats do/have
done when we're not around.

Jill
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-11 12:30 PM, Gary wrote:
Jill McQuown wrote:

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my
kitchen counter â the only thing is, I have to place it
*securely* so that my Persia wonât be able to knock it off when
she is up slinking around on the counter!

You are finally so busted! Do you not remember years ago when you
claimed your cat NEVER got on your kitchen countertops? I remember
teasing you for believing that and told you how she did but just
waited until you left the house. lol No, "she never does that!" You
taught her not to.

She isn't busted. I believe her old cat met its end and she recently
acquired a stray.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill McQuown wrote:

[...]

When we had a cat, we crated her at night with the crate close to us, she
actually liked being crated and would go there on her own.

Cheri

Old 11-08-2018, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-11 12:30 PM, Gary wrote:
Jill McQuown wrote:

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my
kitchen counter â the only thing is, I have to place it
*securely* so that my Persia wonât be able to knock it off when
she is up slinking around on the counter!

You are finally so busted! Do you not remember years ago when you
claimed your cat NEVER got on your kitchen countertops? I remember
teasing you for believing that and told you how she did but just
waited until you left the house. lol No, "she never does that!" You
taught her not to.*

She isn't busted. I believe her old cat met its end and she recently
acquired a stray.

My cat Persia was an abandoned cat. She'd been front declawed and
spayed so someone had obviously owned her at one time. She showed up at
my back door one night and refused to go away. I let her in and was
suddenly owned by a cat. Yes, she died several years ago at the age
of 16.

I adopted Buffy three years ago after her owner died. She was formerly
a feral... her ear had been notched and she'd been part of the TNR
program on Dataw. Her previous owner took her in after that (she was
still a kitten) so she's well socialized. A total love bug.

Jill