View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster

Default Mom's Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar

I just opened a box of my moms stuff, and guess what I found €“ a genuine Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar! Ive done a bit of pricing research, and it is worth at least a thousand dollars. A note in the jar said that my dad bought it for his newlywed wife (my mom!) way back for Easter 1947. Here is some information:

The Famous McCoy Aunt Jemima Cookie Jar:

https://auntjemimacookiejar.com/

€śThe McCoy cookie jars are typically well loved and very hard to find in new condition.

The jar is about a foot tall. It was made between 1944 and 1947.

We have read but not confirmed that over 100,000 of these cookie jars were produced. Literally, these are the only widespread production of Aunt Jemima cookie jars ever made. However, because they were not originally collectors items, and because many were discarded after being considered derogatory, not that many remain€¦€ť

There is more than a bit of nostalgia attached, as one of our housemaids when I was growing up in Memphis we called €śAunt Jemima€ť€¦her real name was Larcey, and she was a wonderful woman who doted on our family. She had a boyfriend, Johnny, and shed always tell us, €śTonights, I got me a date wid my MAN Johnny!€ť Shed come in all happy and glowing the next day, and sometimes Id kid her by saying, €śNow, Larcey, did you ball Johnny last night?€ť (Yes, its true, colored folks get red faces when embarrassed, just like us whites, lol!) When I was little tyke, I sneaked a look in her purse, and opened what I thought was a makeup compact, but inside was a big round rubber thing, which I realized much later was actually a diaphragm - LOL...!!! When Dad was stationed in Thailand, it was not possible for us to take her with us, so there were many tears. We still kept in touch, and she passed away in 1976 at the age of 87 €“ a life well €“ lived, Id say

Anyway, I put this wonderful memento of my parents right out on my kitchen counter €“ the only thing is, I have to place it *securely* so that my Persia wont be able to knock it off when she is up slinking around on the counter!