Old 13-07-2018, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ate 24 potatoes with dinner.

Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

Old 13-07-2018, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.┬* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.┬* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts.┬* I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

Tiny potatoes! I've seen bags of them and have been curious. But I was
never curious enough to try them. Maybe now I will. Do you think
they'd roast well? Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't take long,
maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill
Old 13-07-2018, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 13:28:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

I buy the "Dutch creamer potatoes" fairly often ($2/lb). They are
simply baby white potatoes. Yes, they taste the same as the adults,
just makes for a unique presentation.

Hanger steak, white asparagus with hollandaise, and Dutch baby
creamers. Picked out larger ones from teh bulk display, all the
same size so they cook evenly. They can be half as small as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...n/photostream/

-sw
Old 13-07-2018, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 12:28:14 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

I've seen those but not tried them yet. Being that small no sooner than
they hit boiling water or a roasting pan they'd be done!

Old 13-07-2018, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.┬* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.┬* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.┬* I just boiled them and added some butter and
salt.

Tiny potatoes!┬* I've seen bags of them and have been curious.┬* But I was
never curious enough to try them.┬* Maybe now I will. ┬* Do you think
they'd roast well?┬* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't take long,
maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

You can nuke them in about 5 minutes.
Old 13-07-2018, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 11:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.┬* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.┬* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts.┬* I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

My father scraped every one of those tiny ones. He associated those with
skins on with what they fed to the pigs when he was young. He called
them "piggy tates".
Old 13-07-2018, 08:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.┬* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.┬* The largest one are about the
size of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.┬* I just boiled them and added some butter and
salt.

Tiny potatoes!┬* I've seen bags of them and have been curious.┬* But I
was never curious enough to try them.┬* Maybe now I will. ┬* Do you
think they'd roast well?┬* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't
take long, maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

You can nuke them in about 5 minutes.

Sure you could nuke them. I wouldn't expect the same result, though.

Jill
Old 13-07-2018, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.┬* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.┬* The largest one are about the
size of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.┬* I just boiled them and added some butter
and salt.

Tiny potatoes!┬* I've seen bags of them and have been curious. But I
was never curious enough to try them.┬* Maybe now I will. ┬* Do you
think they'd roast well?┬* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't
take long, maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

You can nuke them in about 5 minutes.

┬* To paraphrase Bill Clinton , "Nookin' ain't Cookin' " . The microwave
is fantastic for warming up already-cooked dishes and thawing stuff out
.. And not much else , IMO .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 13-07-2018, 08:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.* The largest one are about the
size of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.* I just boiled them and added some butter and
salt.

Tiny potatoes!* I've seen bags of them and have been curious.* But I
was never curious enough to try them.* Maybe now I will. * Do you
think they'd roast well?* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't
take long, maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

You can nuke them in about 5 minutes.

Sure you could nuke them. I wouldn't expect the same result, though.

They're so small with thin skins, that the taste/texture difference
between nuking and roasting is negligible. 5 minutes would be too
long, though. At least on high power. I would probably do 4
minutes at 50% power.

-sw

Old 13-07-2018, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 10:28:14 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

I wash them, put them in a heavy skillet with some butter and a little water and simmer till the water boils off, then add some more butter, salt and pepper and let them brown a bit. Easy to fix, and quite tasty. You could also add some minced garlic and fresh minced parsley if you like.

Old 13-07-2018, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 2:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.┬* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.┬* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.┬* I just boiled them and added some butter and
salt.

Tiny potatoes!┬* I've seen bags of them and have been curious.┬* But I was
never curious enough to try them.┬* Maybe now I will. ┬* Do you think
they'd roast well?┬* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't take long,
maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

I think they would be better that way. I may try again sometime.
Old 13-07-2018, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13-Jul-2018, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

I cooked a bag of one-bite medley potatoes Wednesday; they were about 1 inch
diameter and included red, white and purple poratoes. I cooked them in my
Fasta Pasta« Microwave pasta cooker, which essentially boils them, starting
from cold water. I had a few leftover and yesterday smashed and fried some
to have with my breakfast omelet. I have severed them mostly with green
beans in the past, since they steam in about the same time as the green
beans. They are tasty little devils.
--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.

"When caught between two evils, I generally like to take the one I never
tried." - Mae West
Old 13-07-2018, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13-Jul-2018, jmcquown wrote:

On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.┬* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had

24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.┬* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts.┬* I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

Tiny potatoes! I've seen bags of them and have been curious. But I was
never curious enough to try them. Maybe now I will. Do you think
they'd roast well? Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't take long,
maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

I have roasted the one-bite medley potatoes a few times and they have turned
out well. I simply tossed them with olive oil and a little salt and roasted
them on a rack in a sheet tray. I like to use a rack for a lot of things,
simply to provide all around heat, I don't think it necessary if you wanted
to go directly on the sheet pan. I have sometimes tossed the potatoes with
a little parmesan to finish or a little butter with minced garlic (the
jarred variety discussed in another thread earlier in the week).

Old 13-07-2018, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

It's also good for cooking some kinds of fish. Mostly, it takes a bit of
learnin' to cook well in a microwave and few people take the time. Many
people just throw food in, hit the cook button and think it shoudl turn out
great. A few minutes to a few hours with any of Donovan Jon Fandre's
microwave cooking books, and a little practice, is all that is needed to do
more than popcorn and reheating coffee.