Old 13-07-2018, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ate 24 potatoes with dinner.

Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

Old 13-07-2018, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts.* I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

Tiny potatoes! I've seen bags of them and have been curious. But I was
never curious enough to try them. Maybe now I will. Do you think
they'd roast well? Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't take long,
maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill
Old 13-07-2018, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 12:28:14 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

I've seen those but not tried them yet. Being that small no sooner than
they hit boiling water or a roasting pan they'd be done!

Old 13-07-2018, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.* I just boiled them and added some butter and
salt.

Tiny potatoes!* I've seen bags of them and have been curious.* But I was
never curious enough to try them.* Maybe now I will. * Do you think
they'd roast well?* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't take long,
maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

You can nuke them in about 5 minutes.

Old 13-07-2018, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 11:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts.* I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

My father scraped every one of those tiny ones. He associated those with
skins on with what they fed to the pigs when he was young. He called
them "piggy tates".
Old 13-07-2018, 08:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.* The largest one are about the
size of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.* I just boiled them and added some butter and
salt.

Tiny potatoes!* I've seen bags of them and have been curious.* But I
was never curious enough to try them.* Maybe now I will. * Do you
think they'd roast well?* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't
take long, maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

You can nuke them in about 5 minutes.

Sure you could nuke them. I wouldn't expect the same result, though.

Jill
Old 13-07-2018, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.* The largest one are about the
size of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.* I just boiled them and added some butter
and salt.

Tiny potatoes!* I've seen bags of them and have been curious. But I
was never curious enough to try them.* Maybe now I will. * Do you
think they'd roast well?* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't
take long, maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

You can nuke them in about 5 minutes.

* To paraphrase Bill Clinton , "Nookin' ain't Cookin' " . The microwave
is fantastic for warming up already-cooked dishes and thawing stuff out
.. And not much else , IMO .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 13-07-2018, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 10:28:14 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right. Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I had
24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow. The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their full
size counterparts. I just boiled them and added some butter and salt.

I wash them, put them in a heavy skillet with some butter and a little water and simmer till the water boils off, then add some more butter, salt and pepper and let them brown a bit. Easy to fix, and quite tasty. You could also add some minced garlic and fresh minced parsley if you like.

Old 13-07-2018, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 2:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/13/2018 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Yes, you read that right.* Along with a tomato and 2 country ribs I
had 24 individual potatoes.

I've seen them at the store and finally bought a bag of them, tiny
potatoes, a mix of red and yellow.* The largest one are about the size
of a marble, most are smaller.

They make an interesting presentation, but taste the same as their
full size counterparts.* I just boiled them and added some butter and
salt.

Tiny potatoes!* I've seen bags of them and have been curious.* But I was
never curious enough to try them.* Maybe now I will. * Do you think
they'd roast well?* Being tiny potatoes, I know they wouldn't take long,
maybe lightly oiled and at a low temp?

Jill

I think they would be better that way. I may try again sometime.

Old 13-07-2018, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Totally disagree. Maybe you are not using it correctly. I am finding
it great for veggies (not cabbage) definitely corn cooked in the nuker
is great. Fish, cooked at half power, very nice. It is even
possible, with care, the make fudge, very quickly and no mess.

cup butter ~ 1 cup white sugar ~ 1 cup brown sugar
Cream together
Add
cup corn syrup ~ I can condensed milk
Blend well.
Microwave on high, stirring after each minute until rolling boil.
(Use really large pan)
Back in microwave for six minutes -
Beat - spread in 4 qt dish.

The recipe is great - I think it varies with one's microwave, for
instance in mine, after it comes to the rolling boil, four minutes is
just right, it should be whitish in colour. Do use the largest bowl
you can, it boils up ! Mine is 1100 watts.

While you have to stand there and keep stirring each minute, the whole
thing is complete far faster than any other fudge I have ever made and
this does seem to be no fail, whether a wet or dry day.

All in all, a really dumb recipes that works 9 out of 10 :

Old 14-07-2018, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2018 4:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I'll give them a try. Nice to know they taste just like regular
potatoes so nothing unexpected. Thanks, Ed!

Jill
Old 14-07-2018, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

news
On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I don't really find that to be true, great for fresh veggies, fish, rice,
etc.

Cheri

Old 14-07-2018, 12:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-07-13 12:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Also great for peanut brittle.

Cheri

Old 14-07-2018, 07:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2018 12:42 AM, Cheri wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
To paraphrase Bill Clinton , "Nookin' ain't Cookin' " . The
microwave is fantastic for warming up already-cooked dishes and
thawing stuff out . And not much else , IMO .

I don't really find that to be true, great for fresh veggies, fish,
rice, etc.

True.
When my rice cooker died (many years ago), I tried Barbara Kafka's
microwave method. It worked so well, I didn't bother to replace the rice
cooker.

I do vegetables in the MC too - things like sprouts, broccoli, etc, come
out bright green and tasty, never soggy and grey.
Fresh white fish, rolled around a bit of herb butter and quickly zapped,
comes out moist and tasty.
..
Wonderful in summer, when the kitchen can feel oppressively hot. Saves
energy costs, too, as it cooks quickly and the AC doesn't have to work
so hard.