Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bratwurst & Potatoes (Dinner 10/08/2010)

Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst in a
large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and half a
yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter to
the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with salt & pepper and
brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake of Penzey's adobo
seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until brats are cooked through
and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy and quite tasty! Serves two
(generously).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 03:16:44 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst in a
>large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and half a
>yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter to
>the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with salt & pepper and
>brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake of Penzey's adobo
>seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until brats are cooked through
>and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy and quite tasty! Serves two
>(generously).

My dinner last night was similar; simmered a Hillshire kielbasa for 15
minutes dumping the water to remove some curing salt then dumped in a
can of Bush's beans to simmer for 15 minutes, hardly any effort at
all, quick, tasty, and satisfying... ate 2/3 last night and 1/3 today
for brunch. I have no idea what's for dinner today, I'm thinking
scrambled egg sammich, if later I get the munchies I have a container
of Bryer's coffee ice cream
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 03:16:44 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst in
>>large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and half a
>>yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter to
>>the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with salt & pepper
>>and
>>brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake of Penzey's adobo
>>seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until brats are cooked
>>through
>>and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy and quite tasty! Serves two
>>(generously).

> My dinner last night was similar; simmered a Hillshire kielbasa for 15
> minutes dumping the water to remove some curing salt then dumped in a
> can of Bush's beans to simmer for 15 minutes, hardly any effort at
> all, quick, tasty, and satisfying... ate 2/3 last night and 1/3 today
> for brunch. I have no idea what's for dinner today, I'm thinking
> scrambled egg sammich, if later I get the munchies I have a container
> of Bryer's coffee ice cream

Hillshire Farms kielbasa? Dude, you'd have been better off eating the
hermetically sealed package it came in. Find some stuff made by a legit
butcher......cost differential is nominal.

-g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/10/2010 5:17 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:43:03 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>> by a legit
>> butcher

> That would be about as hard to find as a great buggy whip
> manufacturer.

I must be lucky. I have several excellent butchers within a few miles of
my house. Two of them make excellent sausages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 17:37:08 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I must be lucky.

You are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:43:03 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 03:16:44 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst in
>>>large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and half a
>>>yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter to
>>>the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with salt & pepper
>>>and
>>>brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake of Penzey's adobo
>>>seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until brats are cooked
>>>through
>>>and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy and quite tasty! Serves two
>>>(generously).

>> My dinner last night was similar; simmered a Hillshire kielbasa for 15
>> minutes dumping the water to remove some curing salt then dumped in a
>> can of Bush's beans to simmer for 15 minutes, hardly any effort at
>> all, quick, tasty, and satisfying... ate 2/3 last night and 1/3 today
>> for brunch. I have no idea what's for dinner today, I'm thinking
>> scrambled egg sammich, if later I get the munchies I have a container
>> of Bryer's coffee ice cream

>Hillshire Farms kielbasa? Dude, you'd have been better off eating the
>hermetically sealed package it came in. Find some stuff made by a legit
>butcher......cost differential is nominal.

You're obviously biased, Ski. hehe

I've gotten ripped in pollock towns many a time.... at least with
Hillshire it's consistant, and resonably priced. If I really wanted
the good stuff I'd make my own, in fact that's what a real pollock
would have suggested, Ski. hehehe

It's actually pretty easy to make fresh kielbasa, no more difficult
than dago saw-seege... essentially only the seasoning differs... fresh
kielbasa is not smoked. And it can be made into pattys rather than
stuffed into casings... I rarely stuff casings, I either make patties
or bulk.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...recipes/key/15
Posted to rec.food.cooking
LG LG is offline

jmcquown wrote:
> Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three
> bratwurst in a large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet
> potatoes and half a yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three
> pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter to the skillet, then add the potatoes and
> onion. Season with salt & pepper and brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef
> broth and a good shake of Penzey's adobo seasoning. Cover and simmer
> about 30 minutes until brats are cooked through and the potatoes and
> onion are tender. Easy and quite tasty! Serves two (generously).
>
> Jill

Two? Did you feed that to your bird?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LG" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst
>> in a large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and half
>> a yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter
>> to the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with salt &
>> pepper and brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake of
>> Penzey's adobo seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until brats
>> are cooked through and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy and quite
>> tasty! Serves two (generously).
>>
>> Jill

> Two? Did you feed that to your bird?

Asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote:
>"LG" wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst
>>> in a large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and half
>>> a yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter
>>> to the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with salt &
>>> pepper and brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake of
>>> Penzey's adobo seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until brats
>>> are cooked through and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy and quite
>>> tasty! Serves two (generously).
>>>

>> Two? Did you feed that to your bird?

>Asshole.

Yes, LG can shove it.... Larrrrrwy is used to being shoved with wurst.
LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>.... Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until brats are cooked through
>and the potatoes and onion are tender.

30 minutes? Hell, why not put it on at lunchtime and cook for five
hours?

Either way, you can eat it with your gums.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "LG" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst
>>> in a large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and
>>> half a yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs.
>>> butter to the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with
>>> salt & pepper and brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake
>>> of Penzey's adobo seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until
>>> brats are cooked through and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy
>>> and quite tasty! Serves two (generously).
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Two? Did you feed that to your bird?

> Asshole.

He has a crush on Jill. You know, like a 12 year old boy and he can't admit
it, because "girls have cooties!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "LG" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three bratwurst
>>> in a large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet potatoes and
>>> half a yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three pieces. Add 1 Tbs.
>>> butter to the skillet, then add the potatoes and onion. Season with
>>> salt & pepper and brown lightly. Add 2 cups beef broth and a good shake
>>> of Penzey's adobo seasoning. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until
>>> brats are cooked through and the potatoes and onion are tender. Easy
>>> and quite tasty! Serves two (generously).
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Two? Did you feed that to your bird?

> Asshole.

Yes, he is rather!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>>> Two? Did you feed that to your bird?

>> Asshole.

> He has a crush on Jill. You know, like a 12 year old boy and he can't
> admit it, because "girls have cooties!"

Yep, that would account for his obsession with her.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:43:03 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>> by a legit
>>butcher

> That would be about as hard to find as a great buggy whip
> manufacturer.

Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live in
the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which is as
far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway). At any rate, you can
always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut whatever you
want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live
> in the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which
> is as far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway). At any rate,
> you can always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut
> whatever you want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know
>
> Jill

Because too many chains of grocery stores only hire inexperienced meat
cutters who unpackage the bulk packer cuts and do limited things with
them instead of the classic butcher who *knew* meat inside and out
better'n anyone. Different breed these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live
>> in the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which
>> is as far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway). At any rate,
>> you can always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut
>> whatever you want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know
>>
>> Jill

> Because too many chains of grocery stores only hire inexperienced meat
> cutters who unpackage the bulk packer cuts and do limited things with them
> instead of the classic butcher who *knew* meat inside and out better'n
> anyone. Different breed these days.

Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
admitted.... 'er no!'

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:43:03 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> by a legit
> >>butcher

> > That would be about as hard to find as a great buggy whip
> > manufacturer.
> >

> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find?

Because they are, at least here. The main problem is that once people
find one, they don't shop there regularly. It's easier to do one stop
shopping at the supermarket. So the butchers go out of business.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:34:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
> department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
> him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
> admitted.... 'er no!'

At least he was honest!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 08:42:23 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> Because they are, at least here. The main problem is that once people
> find one, they don't shop there regularly. It's easier to do one stop
> shopping at the supermarket. So the butchers go out of business.

Butcher shops are a lot more expensive than grocery store meat
counters. A real finally opened near us a couple of years ago, but we
don't do our every day meat buying from him because even his sausages
and bacon are significantly more expensive than buying the top brands
at the grocers. Like you said, it's a special trip (to pay more)...
and everyone's on a budget.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:34:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
>> department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
>> him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
>> admitted.... 'er no!'

> At least he was honest!

Don't suppose he had much choice.. his workmates were standing there..

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/10/2010 12:17 PM, sf wrote:

> Butcher shops are a lot more expensive than grocery store meat
> counters. A real finally opened near us a couple of years ago, but we
> don't do our every day meat buying from him because even his sausages
> and bacon are significantly more expensive than buying the top brands
> at the grocers. Like you said, it's a special trip (to pay more)...
> and everyone's on a budget.

There is a butcher shop about two miles down the road form us that has
pretty good prices for most things, except that they always seem to be
large portions. The guy is the local sausage king and he sells a wide
variety of great sausages. You get what you pay for. It is good sausage
but it is a little more expensive that grocery store sausages.

Then there is my Dutch butcher. He makes only 3 or 4 types of sausage,
not as good as the other one, but still pretty good, and it's cheap. His
prices are quite a bit cheaper than the grocery store, but the quality
is much higher. I had stopped eating pork from the grocery store because
the stuff has no flavour, but I started buying it from this butcher and
pork chops are now served weekly in our house. He has the best bacon I
have ever tasted and it is cheaper than event he cheapest stuff in the
grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/10/2010 11:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
> department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
> him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
> admitted.... 'er no!'

I think I told this story before, but a few years ago I went to a
recently opened grocery store. Having been on afternoon shifts all week
and not having had a good feed of meat, I asked for a couple beef
tenderlon steaks and pointed them out. They were huge and I figured they
would be really expensive. The kid at the counter didn't know what beef
tenderloin was. I didn't even look at the price until I got to the
checkout. It was something like $5-6. I was shocked, but if they want
to hire people who don't know the products but work cheap, I guess
that's their problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
.. .
> On 09/10/2010 11:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
>> department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
>> him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
>> admitted.... 'er no!'

> I think I told this story before, but a few years ago I went to a recently
> opened grocery store. Having been on afternoon shifts all week and not
> having had a good feed of meat, I asked for a couple beef tenderlon
> steaks and pointed them out. They were huge and I figured they would be
> really expensive. The kid at the counter didn't know what beef tenderloin
> was. I didn't even look at the price until I got to the checkout. It was
> something like $5-6. I was shocked, but if they want to hire people who
> don't know the products but work cheap, I guess that's their problem.

Yep!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:12:13 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live
>> in the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which
>> is as far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway). At any rate,
>> you can always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut
>> whatever you want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know
>>
>> Jill

>Because too many chains of grocery stores only hire inexperienced meat
>cutters who unpackage the bulk packer cuts and do limited things with
>them instead of the classic butcher who *knew* meat inside and out
>better'n anyone. Different breed these days.

Jill is patronizing a stand-alone butcher shop, there will be a real
butcher there. And most stupidmarkets have at least one real butcher
managing the meat department... probably not Walmart, Costco, and
others of the big box ilk, but the regular chain stupidmarkets do
employ real butchers along with their meat cutters and meat packagers.
Even at the big slaughter houses nowadays the breaking down of
carcasses is so that each person does the same job all day (like
automobile assembly plants) that there are only a few real butchers
present as managers. In farm country like where I live there are
quite a few butcher shops where they slaughter and butcher the
complete animal for the farmers... most hunters bring their kill for
butchering for a 50% share. And the live stock farmers know how to
butcher too but typically don't have the facilities or the time, they
truck their animals to the commercial butchering facilities... some
sell retail too because many of the smaller livestock farmers trade a
portion of their animals for butchering service and for reefer/freezer
space. The farmer who hays my 91 acres adjoining a large parcel he
owns raises beef on another parcel nearby and sells it retail too...
he's always trying to pay me for my hay in beef but I keep telling him
that I can't pay the property taxes with meat. We are both doing well
with this arrangement, he gets extra hay to use with plenty left over
to sell and I get my property taxes paid while my investment keeps
appreciating. And since he managed that parcel for the last owner he
knows it much better than I do, he takes better care of it than I
could ever hope to. I've already been offered four times the $160K I
paid seven years ago... large parcels near NY's Capitol district are
very rare and what's left has become valuable, and mine is as high
quality as rural land gets. Northwestern Albany County is an area
where wealthy business people and professionals are having multi
million dollar mcmansions put on five acre lots as fast as the
builders can acquire land, it's an easy 45 minute commute to downtown
Albany.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:47:29 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:43:03 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> by a legit
>>>butcher

>> That would be about as hard to find as a great buggy whip
>> manufacturer.
>>

> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live in
> the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which is as
> far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway). At any rate, you can
> always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut whatever you
> want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know
>
> Jill

gosh, maybe they think butchers are hard to find because there are no
butchers near them.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/10/2010 1:03 PM, Janet wrote:

>> There is a butcher shop about two miles down the road form us that has
>> pretty good prices for most things, except that they always seem to be
>> large portions.

> ? Don't they sell fresh loose meat cut to order? In the UK, if you
> go to a butcher , the customer says how much they want to buy and the
> butcher cuts it accordingly. If I order a joint,or steak, he asks what
> weight I want it to be.This is one of the reasons butchers are very
> popular with old people living alone on a budget. If some little old
> lady only wants one chicken leg, that's what she gets.

Yep. Most of the meat is not packaged. Sometimes there are son 1 pound
vacuum packs of bacon. Pea meal bacon is in a chunk and he will cut as
many slices as you want and the thickness that you want. His steaks are
roasts until he slices off a slab for you, and the thickness you want.
He usually has pork chops pre-cut, but he also has a chunk of loin next
to it so you can get some cut thinner or thicker. It is on trays in
glass front coolers and you can get as much as you want. He makes up
small amounts of ground beef and pork and beef mixture. If it doesn't
sell within a few hours he packs it in one pound bags and freezes it. If
he doesn't have any out he yells back to his son to grind some more.

I can appreciate older people preferring to shop at a butcher shop. I
have always appreciated that,even if prices are higher, you get a better
deal by not having to buy more than you want. With my butcher, I get one
pound of beef and pork mix for $2.29 or ground beef for $2.69. The
grocery store prices vary from week to week and are usually higher, and
it comes in packs with 1.5 pounds or more. If I want pork chops I get
two, one for each. I don't have to buy a pack of 3, 4 or 5.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Goomba" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live
>>> in the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which
>>> is as far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway). At any rate,
>>> you can always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut
>>> whatever you want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Because too many chains of grocery stores only hire inexperienced meat
>> cutters who unpackage the bulk packer cuts and do limited things with them
>> instead of the classic butcher who *knew* meat inside and out better'n
>> anyone. Different breed these days.

>Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
>department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
>him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
>admitted.... 'er no!'

What does that have to do with anything... women approach me at the
meat department all the time asking for information about meat and I
don't work there... just last week some gal was asking me about my
sausage... I had four Boar's Head pepperoni and two sopressata, I was
rummaging through the hard salami when with a straight face she
appears out of nowhere and asked how my hard salami tastes... what
else could I say but hot and spicy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 18:03:37 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On 09/10/2010 12:17 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > Butcher shops are a lot more expensive than grocery store meat
>> > counters. A real finally opened near us a couple of years ago, but we
>> > don't do our every day meat buying from him because even his sausages
>> > and bacon are significantly more expensive than buying the top brands
>> > at the grocers. Like you said, it's a special trip (to pay more)...
>> > and everyone's on a budget.

>> There is a butcher shop about two miles down the road form us that has
>> pretty good prices for most things, except that they always seem to be
>> large portions.

> ? Don't they sell fresh loose meat cut to order? In the UK, if you
>go to a butcher , the customer says how much they want to buy and the
>butcher cuts it accordingly. If I order a joint,or steak, he asks what
>weight I want it to be.This is one of the reasons butchers are very
>popular with old people living alone on a budget. If some little old
>lady only wants one chicken leg, that's what she gets.
>
> Janet

You can do the same at any US stupidmarket, just ask and they will
prepare anything you want to your specifications... if all someone
wants is one pork chop they can have one pork chop. At holiday time I
like to roast a fresh ham, I like to pick out a whole one and ask that
they cut it in half and bone the butt half and tie it... never been
refused and no charge. I can do it myself at home but their band saw
is much easier than me breaking out the olde hacksaw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:14:04 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:34:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>> Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
>> department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
>> him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
>> admitted.... 'er no!'

>At least he was honest!

Nothing to do with honest, the poor guy probably left shaking his head
and muttering I don't even work here... O'Failure was just hitting on
some old guy, wanting some of his well aged beef. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:34:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>> Because too many chains of grocery stores only hire inexperienced meat
>>> cutters who unpackage the bulk packer cuts and do limited things with
>>> them
>>> instead of the classic butcher who *knew* meat inside and out better'n
>>> anyone. Different breed these days.

>>Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
>>department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
>>him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
>>admitted.... 'er no!'

> What does that have to do with anything... women approach me at the
> meat department all the time asking for information about meat and I
> don't work there... just last week some gal was asking me about my
> sausage... I had four Boar's Head pepperoni and two sopressata, I was
> rummaging through the hard salami when with a straight face she
> appears out of nowhere and asked how my hard salami tastes... what
> else could I say but hot and spicy.

Oh, I didn't realise you were an employee wearing whites and standing behind
the meat counter and brandishing a cleaver!!!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:14:04 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:34:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
>>> department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
>>> him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
>>> admitted.... 'er no!'

>>At least he was honest!

> Nothing to do with honest, the poor guy probably left shaking his head
> and muttering I don't even work here... O'Failure was just hitting on
> some old guy, wanting some of his well aged beef. LOL

Oh Sheldumb dumba dumb dumbadumbdumb dumb... you weren't even there, but you
of course, you KNOW... don't you???? lol
Your dumbness is really really dumb))))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
LG LG is offline

Cheryl wrote:
> "LG" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Dinner last night was a simple one-skillet dish. Brown three
>>> bratwurst in a large skillet. Meanwhile, slice and dice 3 russet
>>> potatoes and half a yellow onion. Cut the bratwurst into three
>>> pieces. Add 1 Tbs. butter to the skillet, then add the potatoes and
>>> onion. Season with salt & pepper and brown lightly. Add 2 cups
>>> beef broth and a good shake of Penzey's adobo seasoning. Cover and
>>> simmer about 30 minutes until brats are cooked through and the
>>> potatoes and onion are tender. Easy and quite tasty! Serves two
>>> (generously).
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Two? Did you feed that to your bird?

> Asshole.

Now that wasn't very nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
LG LG is offline

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>>> Two? Did you feed that to your bird?

>> Asshole.

> Yes, he is rather!

"rather"? Dan Rather?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live
>> in the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which
>> is as far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway). At any rate,
>> you can always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut
>> whatever you want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know
>>
>> Jill

> Because too many chains of grocery stores only hire inexperienced meat
> cutters who unpackage the bulk packer cuts and do limited things with them
> instead of the classic butcher who *knew* meat inside and out better'n
> anyone. Different breed these days.

I guess I'm getting old and times, they are a-changing I remember asking
the butcher at the grocery store (IIRC it was an Albertsons) on December
31st 1999 (yes, y2K!) to grind 6 oz. of ground pork for my Thai Dumpling
recipe (Kahnom Jeep). The butcher at the meat counter said *management*
wouldn't let them grind meat because they didn't trust the butchers to clean
the grinder between different types of meat. Then he said, "What the hell,
I know I clean the grinder. How much ground pork did you need?"

Thai Dumplings (Kahnom Jeep)

3 oz. flaked crabmeat
6 oz ground pork
6 large shrimp, minced*
1 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I use minced garlic and add some salt to the mix)
1-1/2 - 2-1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 egg
1-1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp peanut oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pkg wonton wrappers

*Since I rarely just have 6 large shrimp lying around, I buy a bag of small
frozen "salad shrimp" and measure out what I need... no need to mince those,
either! Place shrimp, crabmeat and pork in mixing bowl. Blend in remaining
ingredients except wonton wrappers and mix together until firm (add a little
more cornstarch if mixture is too wet). Hold a wonton wrapper in one hand.
Place 1 Tbsp filling in the center. Fold the corners in to meet in the
middle, squeezing to close the top. Moisten fingers with water and gently
seal (I noticed last night they look like small whole heads of garlic when
done!). Place in a lightly oiled steamer basket. Steam (covered) over
simmering water about 25 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce (below).

Serves 4

Dipping sauce (or use whatever you like):
4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp hot water
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp thinly sliced ginger root

Blend all ingredients together. Let sit at least 30 minutes. Use as a
dipping sauce for dumplings.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> I can only find ground pork at a two markets that have dedicated beef
> and non-beef grinders. Other miscellaneous stores have their pork
> pre-packaged from a unaffiliated wholesaler. I can't buy ground pork
> at all at my most frequented markets. The demand here really isn't
> that great.

I thought you had a grinder?
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:30:32 +0100, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I can only find ground pork at a two markets that have dedicated beef
>>> and non-beef grinders. Other miscellaneous stores have their pork
>>> pre-packaged from a unaffiliated wholesaler. I can't buy ground pork
>>> at all at my most frequented markets. The demand here really isn't
>>> that great.

>> I thought you had a grinder?

> I do. But rarely do people with grinders grind all the meat to fill
> their ground meat needs.
>
> For hamburgers/lamburgers, meatloaf, sloppy joes, kofta/Kubideh,
> etc... I buy store ground beef/lamb.
>
> The only things I do grind are pork for sausage, bacon ends and pieces
> for bacon bits, chicken for whatever, cooked meats for dips and
> spreads (cooked ham for deviled ham, pork for pork spread, liver for
> liverwurst/chopped liver). I may also grind small amounts of pork for
> Chinese preps (potstickers, egg rolls, ma po tofu) and for adding to
> meatloaf. And shrimp for egg rolls. But that's pretty much it.
>
> Basically, I only use the grinder if I can't buy it at the store.
>
> I don't buy into any of Sheldon's ground mystery meat theories. While
> I know that pre-ground meat is slightly more dangerous than
> home-ground, I'm willing to take that chance. And the fat that
> Sheldon despises it makes store-ground beef taste even better.

OK Whatever you prefer!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I guess I'm getting old and times, they are a-changing I remember
> asking the butcher at the grocery store (IIRC it was an Albertsons) on
> December 31st 1999 (yes, y2K!) to grind 6 oz. of ground pork for my Thai
> Dumpling recipe (Kahnom Jeep). The butcher at the meat counter said
> *management* wouldn't let them grind meat because they didn't trust the
> butchers to clean the grinder between different types of meat. Then he
> said, "What the hell, I know I clean the grinder. How much ground pork
> did you need?"

I dunno why but you're right, it *was* about then that it seemed to get
harder and harder to find freshly ground bulk pork at markets. I used to
be able to get it from Kroger's meat counter (not the prepackaged stuff)
or have pork ground fresh to my desire. Now it seems to be found only in
small blocks from Smithfield company.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/10/2010 9:47 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:43:03 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> by a legit
>>> butcher

>> That would be about as hard to find as a great buggy whip
>> manufacturer.
>>

> Why on earth does everyone think a good butcher is hard to find? I live
> in the middle of nowhere but there's a butcher shop 12 miles away (which
> is as far as I have to go to the grocery store, anyway).

It must vary from place to place. I am in a rural area, four towns
amalgamated into one. There are three good butchers within 3 miles of
me. As for the local cities..... as far as I know, most of the good
butchers shops closed over the years as more and more big grocery stores.

> At any rate,
> you can always ask the guy behind the meat counter to grind or cut
> whatever you want. They do actually employ butchers, ya' know

They do? I think more and more of them are just meat cutters. Meat no
longer comes to the store a side. It comes packaged from the suppliers.
Steaks do not have to be cut from a carcass. They just slice them off
the chunk of tenderloin, strip or T-bone. A while back I was at the
meat counter of a local grocery store and asked if they had any capon.
The "butcher" didn't know what a capon was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 23:05:51 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 13:21:49 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> The farmer who hays my 91 acres adjoining a large parcel he
>> owns raises beef on another parcel nearby and sells it retail too...
>> he's always trying to pay me for my hay in beef but I keep telling him
>> that I can't pay the property taxes with meat

> I can't think of a better way to get excellent grass-fed beef at the
> chuck steak prices you're willing to pay. I'd jump on that dead cow
> offer.
>
> -sw

<psst> tell him the cats will like it *much* better.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 16:39:05 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 16:34:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>>Yes! A fancy new supermarket opened up and I had a look at their meat
>>department. A man there was giving me all kinds of advice, so I asked
>>him...'Are you a butcher?' A few seconds of embarrassment unsued and he
>>admitted.... 'er no!'

> What does that have to do with anything... women approach me at the
> meat department all the time asking for information about meat and I
> don't work there... just last week some gal was asking me about my
> sausage... I had four Boar's Head pepperoni and two sopressata, I was
> rummaging through the hard salami when with a straight face she
> appears out of nowhere and asked how my hard salami tastes... what
> else could I say but hot and spicy.

uh-huh. bet she had enormous tits too, huh, sheldon?

blake