Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight. Steak & Potatoes 2/25/17

A petite beef filet, pan fried. Canned <gasp!> "new potatoes" cooked in
butter and the fond from the pan fried beef. Seasoned with some Mrs.
Dash garlic seasoning.

https://s24.postimg.org/y3kv76eol/steak_potatoes.jpg

https://s8.postimg.org/atd26l51x/pan_fried.jpg

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fat Fingered, s/b Dinner Tonight. Steak & Potatoes 5/25/17

On 5/25/2017 9:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> A petite beef filet, pan fried. Canned <gasp!> "new potatoes" cooked in
> butter and the fond from the pan fried beef. Seasoned with some Mrs.
> Dash garlic seasoning.
>
> https://s24.postimg.org/y3kv76eol/steak_potatoes.jpg
>
> https://s8.postimg.org/atd26l51x/pan_fried.jpg
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 25 May 2017 06:55:46p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> A petite beef filet, pan fried. Canned <gasp!> "new potatoes"
>> cooked in butter and the fond from the pan fried beef. Seasoned
>> with some Mrs. Dash garlic seasoning.
>>
>> https://s24.postimg.org/y3kv76eol/steak_potatoes.jpg
>>
>> https://s8.postimg.org/atd26l51x/pan_fried.jpg
>>
>> Jill
>>

> My dinner last night was a grilled bone-in ribeye with a baked potato.
>
> Dinner tonight will be a large salad withh chunky blue cheese dressing.
> I know you won't like that one, Jill. :-)

Doesn't matter what I like, enjoy it!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 25 May 2017 07:56:22p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 5/25/2017 9:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> A petite beef filet, pan fried. Canned <gasp!> "new potatoes"
>>> cooked in butter and the fond from the pan fried beef. Seasoned
>>> with some Mrs. Dash garlic seasoning.
>>>
>>> https://s24.postimg.org/y3kv76eol/steak_potatoes.jpg
>>>
>>> https://s8.postimg.org/atd26l51x/pan_fried.jpg
>>>
>>> Jill

> Looks good, Jill! I never think to take a picture of the dinners I
> cook. Too anxious to eat I guess. :-)

Thanks! I'm usually that way about pics, too, Wayne. But according to
*some* people (Sheldon) if you don't take pics you're a liar who doesn't
cook anything. LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:55:55 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A petite beef filet, pan fried. Canned <gasp!> "new potatoes" cooked in
> butter and the fond from the pan fried beef. Seasoned with some Mrs.
> Dash garlic seasoning.
>
> https://s24.postimg.org/y3kv76eol/steak_potatoes.jpg
>
> https://s8.postimg.org/atd26l51x/pan_fried.jpg
>
> Jill

Mine was homemade vegetable soup, a slice of fresh white bread
spread with butter (what a treat for me!), and an ounce or so
of Gruyere to round out the protein.

Lunch was a Greek salad, so it was another serendipitous vegetarian
day for me.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 9:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> A petite beef filet, pan fried. Canned <gasp!> "new potatoes" cooked in
> butter and the fond from the pan fried beef. Seasoned with some Mrs.
> Dash garlic seasoning.
>
> https://s24.postimg.org/y3kv76eol/steak_potatoes.jpg
>
> https://s8.postimg.org/atd26l51x/pan_fried.jpg

Bet that was delicious. We were going to have steak for dinner
last night but I picked up some crab cakes at the supermarket.
I also picked up some kind of slaw that has small bits of broccoli,
cauliflower, raisins, etc. I don't usually get supermarket salad
but it felt like a good day to have a hassle free dinner.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-26 5:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 11:23 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Looks good, Jill! I never think to take a picture of the dinners I
>> cook. Too anxious to eat I guess. :-)
>>

> Thanks! I'm usually that way about pics, too, Wayne. But according to
> *some* people (Sheldon) if you don't take pics you're a liar who doesn't
> cook anything. LOL

Well, I think we all know what that is all about. Some people are
factually impaired. They are quick to accuse others of lying because
they do it all the time themselves and they assume that everyone else
does too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 9:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> A petite beef filet, pan fried. Canned <gasp!> "new potatoes" cooked in
> butter and the fond from the pan fried beef. Seasoned with some Mrs.
> Dash garlic seasoning.
>
> https://s24.postimg.org/y3kv76eol/steak_potatoes.jpg
>
> https://s8.postimg.org/atd26l51x/pan_fried.jpg

Nicely done, Jill. Made my mouth water especially those potatoes
finished off in frying pan.

I've tried Mrs Dash before....sounds like the MD with garlic might be
better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote:

>Part of my dinner may cause more gasps than yours.
>It's "clean out the fridge day" here; smoked brats, on a bun with yellow
>mustard, turnip greens with a diced turnip and (gasp) leftover French fries.
> If, as posited in a different thread, any food can be reheated and as good
>as it originally was, I do not know how one does it with French fries.
>
>The fries were from Five Guys and none-too-good to begin with. Originally,
>they were a limp, not at all crispy, mess. Reheated, on a pie tin in the
>oven at 275F, they were a limp, soggy, greasy mess.

Shoulda had your oven at 400ºF and the fries arranged on a wire rack
in a pan... ten minutes and they'd be crisper than when you first
brought them home. But there probably weren't enough fries to make it
worth lighting an oven, I'd have nuked them on a paper towel
or fed the crows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2017 9:10 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Bet that was delicious. We were going to have steak for dinner
> last night but I picked up some crab cakes at the supermarket.
> I also picked up some kind of slaw that has small bits of broccoli,
> cauliflower, raisins, etc. I don't usually get supermarket salad
> but it felt like a good day to have a hassle free dinner.

Not a very nice picture, but it was a great steak and potato dinner.
Also some of that broccoli etc slaw and there was corn, too.

https://postimg.org/image/pvi7zfys3/

Just what the doctor ordered after the exertion of mowing the lawn.
Fell on my butt pulling the mower backwards, hope no one saw. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2017 11:57 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 26 May 2017 06:10:19a, Nancy Young told us...

>> I also picked up some kind of slaw that has small bits of
>> broccoli, cauliflower, raisins, etc.

> Sounds like a variation on the broccoli salad that appeared in the late
> 1970s or early 1980s. I have't made that in a long time, but really
> like it.

I think Ron picked it up for football tailgate food once, I doubt I
ever would have even noticed it. Delicious. None of the salads
were labeled yesterday for some reason, so I have no idea what the
store calls it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 26 May 2017 02:38:15p, Nancy Young told us...

> The recipe I have always used is from "Amish Cooking from Quilt
> Country" by Marcia Adams. Published in 1989.
>
> BROCCOLI SALAD
>
> 2 bunches broccoli (approximately 2-1/2 pounds)
> 10 thin slices bacon
> 1 large red onion
> 1/3 cup dark raisins
> 1 cup mayonnaise
> 1/4 cup sugar
> 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
> 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/2 cup toasted sunflour seeds (optional) or pepitas
>
> Cut broccoli flowerets into smaller than bie-size pieces. Cut off
> the tough outer layer of the stalks and chop the tender part into
> small pieces. You need approximately 8 cups of broccoli. (This can
> be done the day before and stored in a plastic bag.
>
> In a small skillet, saute the bacon until crisp and set aside. Slice
> the onioin lengthwise, the cut into julienne strips. In a large bowl
> combine he broccoli, ohions strips, raisins, and bacon. In a small
> bowl, wisk toether the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and pepper.
> Combine dresing with the vegetables, and refrigerate for a least 2
> hours before serving, mixing once during this tinme. Top with the
> sunflower seeds or pepitas before serving.

Bacon and sunflower seeds aside, that sounds a lot like it! I was
going to mention there were pieces of peeled broccoli stem, too.
Thinly julienned pieces of carrot and onion, too.

Thank you so much for the recipe. Cool.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2017 11:34 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 26 May 2017 02:18:04a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 5/25/2017 10:53 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Thu 25 May 2017 06:55:46p, jmcquown told us...

>>> My dinner last night was a grilled bone-in ribeye with a baked
>>> potato.
>>>
>>> Dinner tonight will be a large salad withh chunky blue cheese
>>> dressing. I know you won't like that one, Jill. :-)
>>>

>> Doesn't matter what I like, enjoy it!
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks, it was good. Curious, though technically not cooked, do you
> like any type of wilted salad; e.g., spinach salad where the dressing
> is poured hot over the greens?

As long as it's not cold, crunchy greens, with some sort of thick cold
dressing, yes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Thanks, it was good. Curious, though technically not cooked, do
>>> you like any type of wilted salad; e.g., spinach salad where the
>>> dressing is poured hot over the greens?
>>>

>> As long as it's not cold, crunchy greens, with some sort of thick
>> cold dressing, yes.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Oh, then that's good news! I was under the mistaken impression that
> you wouldn't eat any salads.

Here's another example: I don't like potato salad... unless it's German
Hot (served warm) Potato Salad. It's not creamy, there is no mayo or
prepared mustard involved and it's not served cold. The only cold food
I really like is ice cream, unless we're talking beverages. Heh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 11:06:03 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 27 May 2017 03:45:30p, jmcquown told us...
>
> > On 5/27/2017 6:38 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Sat 27 May 2017 03:26:48p, jmcquown told us...

> >> Oh, then that's good news! I was under the mistaken impression
> >> that you wouldn't eat any salads.
> >>

> > Here's another example: I don't like potato salad... unless it's
> > German Hot (served warm) Potato Salad. It's not creamy, there is
> > no mayo or prepared mustard involved and it's not served cold.
> > The only cold food I really like is ice cream, unless we're
> > talking beverages. Heh.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> I like both cold and hot German potato salads as long as their
> prepared well. However, I'm pretty fussy about both as far as how
> they're prepared and what they contain. With cold potato salads I
> also can't stand the potatoes if they are either too hard or too soft
> (mushy). I usually won't eat eat it unless I make it. I also can't
> stand hard boiled eggs in potato salad.

My preferences are similar to yours, except that the reason I won't
eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> ... the reason I won't
> eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned sweet.

Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and
cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 11:57:16 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > ... the reason I won't
> > eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned sweet.

> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and
> cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than others.

Perhaps your tolerance for sweetness is different from mine. KFC potato
salad is too sweet for me, as are Campbell's soups and Miracle Whip.

One knockoff KFC recipe that I saw had 4 teaspoons of sugar, 4 teaspoons
of sweet pickle relish, and only one teaspoon of vinegar. I don't
measure, but I'm confident that my sugar:vinegar ratio is closer to
1:2 (at most 1:1) than 8:1. Yes, I know that sweet pickle relish has
vinegar in it, but it still tastes mostly of sugar.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > ... the reason I won't
>> eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned sweet.

> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and cold
> but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than others.

I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total turnoff to
me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2017 12:34 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
> news
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> > ... the reason I won't
>>> eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned sweet.

>> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and
>> cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than
>> others.

> I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
> turnoff to me.

Well, I've never had that species. Knowing me though, I would probably
like it well enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> On 5/28/2017 12:34 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and
>>> cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than
>>> others.

>> I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
>> turnoff to me.

> Well, I've never had that species. Knowing me though, I would probably
> like it well enough.

If you've ever had potato salad from KFC, you've had it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 5/26/2017 9:10 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Bet that was delicious. We were going to have steak for dinner
> last night but I picked up some crab cakes at the supermarket.
> I also picked up some kind of slaw that has small bits of broccoli,
> cauliflower, raisins, etc. I don't usually get supermarket salad
> but it felt like a good day to have a hassle free dinner.

Not a very nice picture, but it was a great steak and potato dinner.
Also some of that broccoli etc slaw and there was corn, too.

https://postimg.org/image/pvi7zfys3/

Just what the doctor ordered after the exertion of mowing the lawn.
Fell on my butt pulling the mower backwards, hope no one saw. Heh.

nancy
====

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > ... the reason I won't
> > eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned
> > sweet.

> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and
> cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than
> others.

Abberation of the south. Like Coleslaw, they add sugar (blecch).
Sometimes it miracle whip used. Pretty disgusting to me too so Cindy
isnt alone on that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 11:57:16 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > > ... the reason I won't
> > > eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned
> > > sweet.

> > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
> > and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more
> > than others.

> Perhaps your tolerance for sweetness is different from mine. KFC
> potato salad is too sweet for me, as are Campbell's soups and Miracle
> Whip.
>
> One knockoff KFC recipe that I saw had 4 teaspoons of sugar, 4
> teaspoons of sweet pickle relish, and only one teaspoon of vinegar.
> I don't measure, but I'm confident that my sugar:vinegar ratio is
> closer to 1:2 (at most 1:1) than 8:1. Yes, I know that sweet pickle
> relish has vinegar in it, but it still tastes mostly of sugar.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet one.
Maybe it's a type we do not get?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
> news
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >> ... the reason I won't
> > > eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned
> > > sweet.

> > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
> > and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some
> > more than others.

> I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
> turnoff to me.
>
> Cheri

A little dill pickle works for me but not too much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
>> > and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some
>> > more than others.

>> I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
>> turnoff to me.
>>
>> Cheri

> A little dill pickle works for me but not too much.

I like quite a few finely chopped dill pickles in mine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 28-May-2017, "Cheri" > wrote:
>
> > "Gary" > wrote in message
> > news

> > sweet.
> > >
> > > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
> > > and cold
> > > but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than
> > > others.

> > I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
> > turnoff to
> > me.
> >
> > Cheri

> Of all the potato salads I have had, curried potato salad is the only
> one I disliked.
>
> My favorite potato salads are mustard, red skin and German. Every
> time I think of German potato salad, I am reminded of the German
> exchange student we hosted in the early 90s. After a few months, my
> (then) wife thought a taste of home might be good for Anna. Among
> the dishes served was German potato salad. As the dinner progressed,
> Anna thanked my wife and told her how good the meal was; but, had
> just one question. She pointed to the potato salad and asked "vas
> ist dis"; when told it wad German potato salad she began laughing.
> She had never seen such a potato salad. Turns out, Anna was from the
> far north of Germany, where potato salad is much like the US version.
> What we call German potato salad is popular in southern Germany, like
> Bavaria.

LOL! I can believe that!

Meantime, I make mine savory with lots of onions and mustard. I do use
mayo, but not that sweet miricle whimp stuff. I may add sour cream...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
> > > turnoff to me.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > A little dill pickle works for me but not too much.

> I like quite a few finely chopped dill pickles in mine.
>
> Cheri

That matches to me with some minced onion and mustard. Bit of mayo and
maybe some sour cream and I'm done except S&P at the table,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2017 2:28 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 28-May-2017, "Cheri" > wrote:
>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and
>>> cold
>>> but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than others.

>> I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total turnoff
>> me.
>>
>> Cheri

> Of all the potato salads I have had, curried potato salad is the only one I
> disliked.
>
> My favorite potato salads are mustard, red skin and German. Every time I
> think of German potato salad, I am reminded of the German exchange student
> we hosted in the early 90s. After a few months, my (then) wife thought a
> taste of home might be good for Anna. Among the dishes served was German
> potato salad. As the dinner progressed, Anna thanked my wife and told her
> how good the meal was; but, had just one question. She pointed to the
> potato salad and asked "vas ist dis"; when told it wad German potato salad
> she began laughing. She had never seen such a potato salad. Turns out,
> Anna was from the far north of Germany, where potato salad is much like the
> US version. What we call German potato salad is popular in southern
> Germany, like Bavaria.

What "we" call it is what my German grandmother used to make.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:
>"Gary" wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> > ... the reason I won't
>>> eat others' cold potato salads is that they're often too damned sweet.

>> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot and cold
>> but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more than others.

>I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total turnoff to
>me.

I don't want any pickles in potato salad yet I don't mind a little
sweet pickle relish with mustard on a hotdog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 10:20:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message
>news
>> On 5/28/2017 12:34 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
>>> turnoff to me.

>> Well, I've never had that species. Knowing me though, I would probably
>> like it well enough.

>If you've ever had potato salad from KFC, you've had it.
>
>Cheri

I've never had potato salad from KFC or any other fast food joint...
only potato salad I know from eating out is from a Brooklyn kosher
deli... and that's how I make potato salad at home... only sometimes
I use new potatoes and leave some of the skins on... I think when my
father was alive he only visited me for my cooking... I'd send him
home with five pounds of potato salad and as much cole slaw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> I don't want any pickles in potato salad yet I don't mind a little
> sweet pickle relish with mustard on a hotdog.

Yes, I like it fine on a hotdog, just not in potato salad or macaroni salad.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
>> > and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more
>> > than others.

>> Perhaps your tolerance for sweetness is different from mine. KFC
>> potato salad is too sweet for me, as are Campbell's soups and Miracle
>> Whip.
>>
>> One knockoff KFC recipe that I saw had 4 teaspoons of sugar, 4
>> teaspoons of sweet pickle relish, and only one teaspoon of vinegar.
>> I don't measure, but I'm confident that my sugar:vinegar ratio is
>> closer to 1:2 (at most 1:1) than 8:1. Yes, I know that sweet pickle
>> relish has vinegar in it, but it still tastes mostly of sugar.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet one.
> Maybe it's a type we do not get?

Really? Most Campbell's soup tastes sweet to me. Not that I eat a lot of it.
The tomato is the worst. So bad, I couldn't finish the cup of it. Once in a
while I have the bean with bacon. It is sweet and I like what I make better.
Sometimes I have the beef with barley. It's not really sweet. I recently
tried the chicken with rice. Was not good at all.

I don't know if Campbell's changed their recipes or what. We did eat a lot
of the stuff when I was a kid. My mom was big into feeding us soup, even
though she doesn't like it herself. I don't recall eating the tomato as a
child. She always said it was for my dad. I mostly ate the bean with bacon,
vegetarian vegetable or beef with barely back then. Sometimes the Scotch
broth. I think that is no longer being made. Sometimes some kind of gumbo.
And not necessarily by choice, some kind of chicken. Either the noodle or
the rice. My brother loved the chicken and dumplings so I always cringed
when I had to have that. I knew how to make good dumplings. Those pathetic
little things were just chewy and starchy. Blech.

Anyway... None of their soups now remind me of what I ate as a child, except
perhaps for the cream ones which I only use in casseroles or other dishes.
Never eaten as soup.

Maybe it's just what I'm used to. The only soup I can recall my mom making
from scratch was navy bean. I liked that except for the ham in it. Hate
ham. If I make it now, I use bacon instead. I also liked ordering soup in
restaurants and most of the time it tasted different and better than
Campbell's. But seeing as how we had the Campbell's a lot at home, I just
accepted it and got used to it. Then when I began making my own soup, I
preferred it very much to anything from a can or box.

Now I pretty much only eat the canned if nothing sounds appealing. I can
have a few bites and then toss the rest if I don't want to finish it. Or
when I am too sick, weak or injured to stand up and fix something better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:29:44 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
> > > and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more
> > > than others.

> > Perhaps your tolerance for sweetness is different from mine. KFC
> > potato salad is too sweet for me, as are Campbell's soups and Miracle
> > Whip.
> >
> > One knockoff KFC recipe that I saw had 4 teaspoons of sugar, 4
> > teaspoons of sweet pickle relish, and only one teaspoon of vinegar.
> > I don't measure, but I'm confident that my sugar:vinegar ratio is
> > closer to 1:2 (at most 1:1) than 8:1. Yes, I know that sweet pickle
> > relish has vinegar in it, but it still tastes mostly of sugar.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet one.
> Maybe it's a type we do not get?

Anything with tomato. Tomato soup, vegetable soup, ad infinitum.
Here's the ingredients for tomato:

INGREDIENTS: TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WHEAT FLOUR, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID, LOWER SODIUM NATURAL SEA SALT, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CELERY EXTRACT.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:29:44 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
> > > and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more
> > > than others.

> > Perhaps your tolerance for sweetness is different from mine. KFC
> > potato salad is too sweet for me, as are Campbell's soups and Miracle
> > Whip.
> >
> > One knockoff KFC recipe that I saw had 4 teaspoons of sugar, 4
> > teaspoons of sweet pickle relish, and only one teaspoon of vinegar.
> > I don't measure, but I'm confident that my sugar:vinegar ratio is
> > closer to 1:2 (at most 1:1) than 8:1. Yes, I know that sweet pickle
> > relish has vinegar in it, but it still tastes mostly of sugar.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet one.
> Maybe it's a type we do not get?

Anything with tomato. Tomato soup, vegetable soup, ad infinitum.
Here's the ingredients for tomato:

INGREDIENTS: TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP,
WHEAT FLOUR, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE,
FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID, LOWER SODIUM NATURAL SEA SALT, ASCORBIC ACID
(VITAMIN C), MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CELERY EXTRACT.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Blimey! I wouldn't fancy that much

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
>> > and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some more
>> > than others.

>> Perhaps your tolerance for sweetness is different from mine. KFC
>> potato salad is too sweet for me, as are Campbell's soups and Miracle
>> Whip.
>>
>> One knockoff KFC recipe that I saw had 4 teaspoons of sugar, 4
>> teaspoons of sweet pickle relish, and only one teaspoon of vinegar.
>> I don't measure, but I'm confident that my sugar:vinegar ratio is
>> closer to 1:2 (at most 1:1) than 8:1. Yes, I know that sweet pickle
>> relish has vinegar in it, but it still tastes mostly of sugar.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Humm! I'd agree except the Campbells soup? I've not had a sweet one.
> Maybe it's a type we do not get?

Really? Most Campbell's soup tastes sweet to me. Not that I eat a lot of it.
The tomato is the worst. So bad, I couldn't finish the cup of it. Once in a
while I have the bean with bacon. It is sweet and I like what I make better.
Sometimes I have the beef with barley. It's not really sweet. I recently
tried the chicken with rice. Was not good at all.

I don't know if Campbell's changed their recipes or what. We did eat a lot
of the stuff when I was a kid. My mom was big into feeding us soup, even
though she doesn't like it herself. I don't recall eating the tomato as a
child. She always said it was for my dad. I mostly ate the bean with bacon,
vegetarian vegetable or beef with barely back then. Sometimes the Scotch
broth. I think that is no longer being made. Sometimes some kind of gumbo.
And not necessarily by choice, some kind of chicken. Either the noodle or
the rice. My brother loved the chicken and dumplings so I always cringed
when I had to have that. I knew how to make good dumplings. Those pathetic
little things were just chewy and starchy. Blech.

Anyway... None of their soups now remind me of what I ate as a child, except
perhaps for the cream ones which I only use in casseroles or other dishes.
Never eaten as soup.

Maybe it's just what I'm used to. The only soup I can recall my mom making
from scratch was navy bean. I liked that except for the ham in it. Hate
ham. If I make it now, I use bacon instead. I also liked ordering soup in
restaurants and most of the time it tasted different and better than
Campbell's. But seeing as how we had the Campbell's a lot at home, I just
accepted it and got used to it. Then when I began making my own soup, I
preferred it very much to anything from a can or box.

Now I pretty much only eat the canned if nothing sounds appealing. I can
have a few bites and then toss the rest if I don't want to finish it. Or
when I am too sick, weak or injured to stand up and fix something better.

==

Pretty much the same here. I can't remember the last time I had canned soup.

We don't have soup much but I do make it myself if we do. I do have some in
my store though for emergencies.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2017 2:34 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Huh. Interesting. I've made and/or eaten many potato salads, hot
>>> and cold but I've never had a sweet one. I like them all, some
>>> more than others.

>> I have never liked a potato salad with sweet pickles in it, total
>> turnoff to me.

> A little dill pickle works for me but not too much.

I love some relish in my potato salad, tuna salad, too. Punches it
up. Having said that, I never make potato salad, and Ron doesn't like
the relish, so I don't have it very often at all.

I get why it would be too sweet for people. I generally don't add
sugar to salads when it's called for, like 3 bean salad. Seems out
of place to me.

These days all my relish goes on my hotdogs.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2017 2:28 PM, l not -l wrote:

> My favorite potato salads are mustard, red skin and German. Every time I
> think of German potato salad, I am reminded of the German exchange student
> we hosted in the early 90s. After a few months, my (then) wife thought a
> taste of home might be good for Anna. Among the dishes served was German
> potato salad. As the dinner progressed, Anna thanked my wife and told her
> how good the meal was; but, had just one question. She pointed to the
> potato salad and asked "vas ist dis"; when told it wad German potato salad
> she began laughing. She had never seen such a potato salad. Turns out,
> Anna was from the far north of Germany, where potato salad is much like the
> US version. What we call German potato salad is popular in southern
> Germany, like Bavaria.

So funny! Your wife must have been so proud, look what I made just for
you! A taste of home. "Vas ist dis?" Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2017 5:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I never cared for any kind of soup when I was growing up whether it
> was canned or homemade. Although as an adult I make a variety of
> soups myself. I actually like Campbell's Tomato Soup made with milk,
> and I drink that out of a soup mug. :-)

I like the Campbell's Tomato soup, made with milk, also to accompany a
couple of grilled cheese sandwiches.

Try this sometime.... Campbells Tomato soup made with water and add in
one chopped fresh garden tomato and some ground pepper. It's pretty good
and the fresh tomato adds a nice fresh flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2017 8:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I love the phrase "lighting an oven". I don't have to "light" my
> electric oven. Those fries could have been crisped on the stove-top
> in a little bit of oil.

IMO, fries reheated or cooked from raw or the half-cooked frozen are
always better cooked in oil vs heating in an oven. Same thing with
"tater tots."