Katra

Default Carrots......

Tried a new way to fix carrot chunks.
They tend to be a bit too sweet to me as a savory veggie,
and since dad has wanted to eat them more frequently of late I've been
trying to get creative.

The creamed carrots and cream of carrot soup were both a flop. :-( Too
sweet and no body to it. It was just....... gross.

So I went back to mostly just steaming them in chunks with butter or
broth but yesterday, I did them with butter and unsweetened cinnamon.

Cinnamon goes GREAT with steamed carrots!!! Dad says it's the best thing
I've tried yet and I have to agree with him! I nuked them in the covered
corningware.

Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

--
Best
Greg

Katra

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

Balsamic Vinegar?
I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

K.
Katra

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

Balsamic Vinegar?
I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

K.

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:
> >
> > > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed

baby
> > > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> > Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

> Balsamic Vinegar?
> I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

Hey reach up there and get it out (but just make sure Sheldon ain't around
when yer a - reachin' up...it ain't melon season but try telling *him* that
;---)...

Balsamic vinegar is something I use almost every day...a splash or so when
sauteeing meat gives a nice color and "finish" to the finished product
(chicken and pork especially, hamburgers and sausage...)...it's good for
some vegetables, too.

When I do up a mess of cottage - type fried potatoes I always use balsamic
vinegar towards the end of the frying process, it gives a nice piquant taste
to the taters and cuts the "grease" taste factor a bit...and balsamico used
when frying or sauteeing gives that nice browned color to whatever yer
cookin' up...

For everyday I use the cheapo four buck stuff. Of course the sky's the
limit price - wise with balsamico. Every xmas season a chef friend of mine
gifts me with a really nice bottle of balsamico, so since I used the last of
it a few months ago I see now that the season is again upon us :-)

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:
> >
> > > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed

baby
> > > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> > Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

> Balsamic Vinegar?
> I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

Hey reach up there and get it out (but just make sure Sheldon ain't around
when yer a - reachin' up...it ain't melon season but try telling *him* that
;---)...

Balsamic vinegar is something I use almost every day...a splash or so when
sauteeing meat gives a nice color and "finish" to the finished product
(chicken and pork especially, hamburgers and sausage...)...it's good for
some vegetables, too.

When I do up a mess of cottage - type fried potatoes I always use balsamic
vinegar towards the end of the frying process, it gives a nice piquant taste
to the taters and cuts the "grease" taste factor a bit...and balsamico used
when frying or sauteeing gives that nice browned color to whatever yer
cookin' up...

For everyday I use the cheapo four buck stuff. Of course the sky's the
limit price - wise with balsamico. Every xmas season a chef friend of mine
gifts me with a really nice bottle of balsamico, so since I used the last of
it a few months ago I see now that the season is again upon us :-)

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:
> >
> > > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed

baby
> > > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> > Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

> Balsamic Vinegar?
> I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

Hey reach up there and get it out (but just make sure Sheldon ain't around
when yer a - reachin' up...it ain't melon season but try telling *him* that
;---)...

Balsamic vinegar is something I use almost every day...a splash or so when
sauteeing meat gives a nice color and "finish" to the finished product
(chicken and pork especially, hamburgers and sausage...)...it's good for
some vegetables, too.

When I do up a mess of cottage - type fried potatoes I always use balsamic
vinegar towards the end of the frying process, it gives a nice piquant taste
to the taters and cuts the "grease" taste factor a bit...and balsamico used
when frying or sauteeing gives that nice browned color to whatever yer
cookin' up...

For everyday I use the cheapo four buck stuff. Of course the sky's the
limit price - wise with balsamico. Every xmas season a chef friend of mine
gifts me with a really nice bottle of balsamico, so since I used the last of
it a few months ago I see now that the season is again upon us :-)

--
Best
Greg

Katra

In article et>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > In article . net>,
> > "Gregory Morrow" >
> > wrote:

> baby
> > >

> > > Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

> > Balsamic Vinegar?
> > I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

> Hey reach up there and get it out (but just make sure Sheldon ain't around
> when yer a - reachin' up...it ain't melon season but try telling *him* that
> ;---)...
>
> Balsamic vinegar is something I use almost every day...a splash or so when
> sauteeing meat gives a nice color and "finish" to the finished product
> (chicken and pork especially, hamburgers and sausage...)...it's good for
> some vegetables, too.
>
> When I do up a mess of cottage - type fried potatoes I always use balsamic
> vinegar towards the end of the frying process, it gives a nice piquant taste
> to the taters and cuts the "grease" taste factor a bit...and balsamico used
> when frying or sauteeing gives that nice browned color to whatever yer
> cookin' up...
>
> For everyday I use the cheapo four buck stuff. Of course the sky's the
> limit price - wise with balsamico. Every xmas season a chef friend of mine
> gifts me with a really nice bottle of balsamico, so since I used the last of
> it a few months ago I see now that the season is again upon us :-)
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Cool, thanks! :-)
I'm always learning and trying to find new ways to add new and different
flavors to the foods I cook.

I'll get it out then and give it a shot and see what happens! ;-d

I know it's good on fish, (mom used to use it that way).

Speaking of new tastes, see my next post. I picked up something at the
Thai market tonight that I've never seen nor heard of. It looked
interesting so I bought it! the problem with shopping there is not every
label has an english translation, and I don't real chinese. <lol>

Kat

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article et>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > In article . net>,
> > "Gregory Morrow" >
> > wrote:

> baby
> > >

> > > Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

> > Balsamic Vinegar?
> > I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

> Hey reach up there and get it out (but just make sure Sheldon ain't around
> when yer a - reachin' up...it ain't melon season but try telling *him* that
> ;---)...
>
> Balsamic vinegar is something I use almost every day...a splash or so when
> sauteeing meat gives a nice color and "finish" to the finished product
> (chicken and pork especially, hamburgers and sausage...)...it's good for
> some vegetables, too.
>
> When I do up a mess of cottage - type fried potatoes I always use balsamic
> vinegar towards the end of the frying process, it gives a nice piquant taste
> to the taters and cuts the "grease" taste factor a bit...and balsamico used
> when frying or sauteeing gives that nice browned color to whatever yer
> cookin' up...
>
> For everyday I use the cheapo four buck stuff. Of course the sky's the
> limit price - wise with balsamico. Every xmas season a chef friend of mine
> gifts me with a really nice bottle of balsamico, so since I used the last of
> it a few months ago I see now that the season is again upon us :-)
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Cool, thanks! :-)
I'm always learning and trying to find new ways to add new and different
flavors to the foods I cook.

I'll get it out then and give it a shot and see what happens! ;-d

I know it's good on fish, (mom used to use it that way).

Speaking of new tastes, see my next post. I picked up something at the
Thai market tonight that I've never seen nor heard of. It looked
interesting so I bought it! the problem with shopping there is not every
label has an english translation, and I don't real chinese. <lol>

Kat

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> In article et>,
> "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
> > Katra wrote:
> >
> > > In article . net>,

> > baby

> > > Balsamic Vinegar?
> > > I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

> > Hey reach up there and get it out (but just make sure Sheldon ain't around
> > when yer a - reachin' up...it ain't melon season but try telling *him* that
> > ;---)...
> >
> > Balsamic vinegar is something I use almost every day...a splash or so when
> > sauteeing meat gives a nice color and "finish" to the finished product
> > (chicken and pork especially, hamburgers and sausage...)...it's good for
> > some vegetables, too.
> >
> > When I do up a mess of cottage - type fried potatoes I always use balsamic
> > vinegar towards the end of the frying process, it gives a nice piquant taste
> > to the taters and cuts the "grease" taste factor a bit...and balsamico used
> > when frying or sauteeing gives that nice browned color to whatever yer
> > cookin' up...
> >
> > For everyday I use the cheapo four buck stuff. Of course the sky's the
> > limit price - wise with balsamico. Every xmas season a chef friend of mine
> > gifts me with a really nice bottle of balsamico, so since I used the last of
> > it a few months ago I see now that the season is again upon us :-)
> >
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg
> >

> Cool, thanks! :-)
> I'm always learning and trying to find new ways to add new and different
> flavors to the foods I cook.
>
> I'll get it out then and give it a shot and see what happens! ;-d
>
> I know it's good on fish, (mom used to use it that way).
>
> Speaking of new tastes, see my next post. I picked up something at the
> Thai market tonight that I've never seen nor heard of. It looked
> interesting so I bought it! the problem with shopping there is not every
> label has an english translation, and I don't real chinese. <lol>
>
> Kat

Duh. That should have read "I don't READ chinese!"

Kat
Phred

In article >,
Katra > wrote:
>In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
>> Katra wrote:
>>
>> > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
>> > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

That'd be no-fat butter I hope?

>> Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

>Balsamic Vinegar?
>I've got an unopened bottle of that up in the cabinet. :-)

Right next to the Tabasco sauce? ;-)

[ You've heard the old joke of course? "They've been married so long
they're on their second bottle of Tabasco sauce." ]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Blair P. Houghton

Katra > wrote:
>Tried a new way to fix carrot chunks.

My diet's kinda weird these days (has to do with losing
weight and maintaining muscle), but the way I tune the
ratios is with carrots for carbs and almonds or olives
for "good fat". The three go together really well. I
just eat them alongside whatever else I'm eating, but
I suppose I could figure out a way to process them for
presentation and integration.

--Blair
"Every protein's sacred."

Blair P. Houghton

Katra > wrote:
>Tried a new way to fix carrot chunks.

My diet's kinda weird these days (has to do with losing
weight and maintaining muscle), but the way I tune the
ratios is with carrots for carbs and almonds or olives
for "good fat". The three go together really well. I
just eat them alongside whatever else I'm eating, but
I suppose I could figure out a way to process them for
presentation and integration.

--Blair
"Every protein's sacred."
Julia Altshuler

I take about a pound of carrots, peel and slice them. I put them in a
sauce pot with about an eighth of an inch of water on the bottom. I
squeeze a lemon and toss in the juice. The pot is covered. I bring it
to a boil. There isn't a lot of liquid in there initially, but the
carrots give off quite a bit more. When that happens after a few
minutes, I take the lid off the pot, toss in 1-2 Tablespoons of butter
and some freshly grated ginger. Then I leave it at a rolling boil while
stirring until the liquid is entirely boiled off leaving me a nice
ginger-lemon carrots. California carrots are sweet enough to give it a
sweet and sour taste.

--Lia

PENMART01

Candied Carrots Caribbean

carrots
butter
brown sugar
pineapple chunks.
rum

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

My problem with carrots is that they are so strongly flavoured that they
just walk all over anything else in the meal, a little like a drunk
Michael Moore burping up at your baby shower.

--
I heard Clinton buried a time capsule at his new presidential library
sized like an overseas shipping container filled with stuff he didn't

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...

My problem with carrots is that they are so strongly flavoured that they
just walk all over anything else in the meal, a little like a drunk
Michael Moore burping up at your baby shower.

--
I heard Clinton buried a time capsule at his new presidential library
sized like an overseas shipping container filled with stuff he didn't
want anyone to find till long after his death, the real deed to
Whitewater, the envelope for the Tyson Foods chicken payoffs, the real
gun he used to whack Foster, the keys to the Exocet missile he took Ron
Brown out with, copies of another few thousand illegally acquired FBI
files on his enemies, tickets to Tahiti from the White House Travel
Office, a few more soiled dresses, a couple of cases of well chewed
Cuban cigars, and the unabridged version of his autobiography. That last
one was touch and go just getting the bugger in.
Nancy Young

"Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'' )" wrote:

> I heard Clinton buried a time capsule at his new presidential library
> sized like an overseas shipping container filled with stuff he didn't
> want anyone to find till long after his death,

What made me laugh, it looks like a double wide in Arkansas, what
were they thinking. That's gonna take off like a sail.

nancy
Nancy Young

"Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'' )" wrote:

> I heard Clinton buried a time capsule at his new presidential library
> sized like an overseas shipping container filled with stuff he didn't
> want anyone to find till long after his death,

What made me laugh, it looks like a double wide in Arkansas, what
were they thinking. That's gonna take off like a sail.

nancy
Katra

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Katra > wrote:
> >Tried a new way to fix carrot chunks.

> My diet's kinda weird these days (has to do with losing
> weight and maintaining muscle), but the way I tune the
> ratios is with carrots for carbs and almonds or olives
> for "good fat". The three go together really well. I
> just eat them alongside whatever else I'm eating, but
> I suppose I could figure out a way to process them for
> presentation and integration.
>
> --Blair
> "Every protein's sacred."

I'm there myself. ;-)
Trying to keep the starch carbs down.
Do look carrots up in the food tables tho',
they are not as evil as you think!

K.
Katra

In article <Tuand.425169$D%.142188@attbi_s51>,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> I take about a pound of carrots, peel and slice them. I put them in a
> sauce pot with about an eighth of an inch of water on the bottom. I
> squeeze a lemon and toss in the juice. The pot is covered. I bring it
> to a boil. There isn't a lot of liquid in there initially, but the
> carrots give off quite a bit more. When that happens after a few
> minutes, I take the lid off the pot, toss in 1-2 Tablespoons of butter
> and some freshly grated ginger. Then I leave it at a rolling boil while
> stirring until the liquid is entirely boiled off leaving me a nice
> ginger-lemon carrots. California carrots are sweet enough to give it a
> sweet and sour taste.
>

> --Lia

Hmmmm... That sounds good. :-)
I'd have to watch the lemon tho', dad's bitched about too sour of a
taste with lemon juice.

I wonder what cooking carrots in apple and ginger would be like?

K.

Katra

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> I take about a pound of carrots, peel and slice them. I put them in a
> sauce pot with about an eighth of an inch of water on the bottom. I
> squeeze a lemon and toss in the juice. The pot is covered. I bring it
> to a boil. There isn't a lot of liquid in there initially, but the
> carrots give off quite a bit more. When that happens after a few
> minutes, I take the lid off the pot, toss in 1-2 Tablespoons of butter
> and some freshly grated ginger. Then I leave it at a rolling boil while
> stirring until the liquid is entirely boiled off leaving me a nice
> ginger-lemon carrots. California carrots are sweet enough to give it a
> sweet and sour taste.
>

> --Lia

Hmmmm... That sounds good. :-)
I'd have to watch the lemon tho', dad's bitched about too sour of a
taste with lemon juice.

I wonder what cooking carrots in apple and ginger would be like?

K.
Katra

In article >,
"Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'' )"
> wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >
> > Katra wrote:
> >
> > > Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> > > carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)

> > Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...
> >

> My problem with carrots is that they are so strongly flavoured that they
> just walk all over anything else in the meal, a little like a drunk
> Michael Moore burping up at your baby shower.

That is why I won't put many in soup or stew. I prefer to prepare them
as a separate side dish.

K.
PENMART01

>Katra writes:
>
>>(PENMART01) wrote:
>>
>> Candied Carrots Caribbean
>>
>> carrots
>> butter
>> brown sugar
>> pineapple chunks.
>> rum

>That sounds like it'd be interesting with "baby" carrots,
>but bit too much sugar for my personal tastes.

Um, use less brown sugar than I indicated, or omit entirely... gotta have some
sweetness, otherwise the "candied" part would be a lie.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Rick & Cyndi

"Katra" > wrote in message
> Tried a new way to fix carrot chunks.
> They tend to be a bit too sweet to me as a savory veggie,
> and since dad has wanted to eat them more frequently of late I've been
> trying to get creative.
>
> The creamed carrots and cream of carrot soup were both a flop. :-( Too
> sweet and no body to it. It was just....... gross.
>
> So I went back to mostly just steaming them in chunks with butter or
> broth but yesterday, I did them with butter and unsweetened cinnamon.
>
> Cinnamon goes GREAT with steamed carrots!!! Dad says it's the best thing
> I've tried yet and I have to agree with him! I nuked them in the covered
> corningware.
>
> Might be an idea for a thanksgiving veggie for some folks. Steamed baby
> carrots with butter and cinnamon. :-)
>
> K.

================

Chinese 5-Spice powder goes really well with carrots, too!

Cyndi

Katra

(Phred) wrote:

> >> That'd be no-fat butter I hope?

> >EEEWWWwwww!!! No way! Better a smaller amount of _real_ butter than
> >a substitute that tastes like crap! ;-)

> Ahh... One after my own heart!

;-d

> >> Right next to the Tabasco sauce? ;-)

> >hehehehe! I don't even have any tobasco sauce, except for a couple of
> >teensy little (unopened) bottles I got at a hotel I stayed at.

> I didn't know that came in any other size. :-)
> (Mine is a 60 ml bottle with about 3/4 used in 15 years!)
>
> > They were sent up by room service.

> Good God! What did you order?
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Mexican food... ;-)
Nachos.

I was there for training on a new Coulter cell counter that our Lab
bought, and Coulter was picking up the tab. We had a certain amount we
were allowed to spend for food per day so I like to take advantage and
do room service when I have the chance! That is the one benefit to going
to those seminars. <lol>

It's also the only time I ever get to fly.....

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Blair P. Houghton

Katra > wrote:
>In article >,
> Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>> Katra > wrote:
>> >Tried a new way to fix carrot chunks.

>> My diet's kinda weird these days (has to do with losing
>> weight and maintaining muscle), but the way I tune the
>> ratios is with carrots for carbs and almonds or olives
>> for "good fat". The three go together really well. I
>> just eat them alongside whatever else I'm eating, but
>> I suppose I could figure out a way to process them for
>> presentation and integration.
>>
>> "Every protein's sacred."

>I'm there myself. ;-)
>Trying to keep the starch carbs down.
>Do look carrots up in the food tables tho',
>they are not as evil as you think!

Who said carrots are evil? They're one of my favorite
foods. And dead easy to calculate, because they're 1
gram of carbs per 10 grams of carrot, with 10 of those
pre-peeled carrotlets per 85 grams. Oh, and 2 almonds or
3 olives is 2 grams of fat. Makes it a cinch to dial
in the numbers for science.

You don't want to keep your starch carbs down. You want
to split your carbs between starchy (potatoes, bread, etc.)
and fibrous (green and yellow veggies) at every meal.

People are different, and I've been modulating my
carb-protein-fat ratios from 30-45-25 to 45-40-15 to see
what works best (those numbers are percentage calories,
not grams). I'm up to 45% of calories from carbs now,
and it's going slower, so I may drop that to 40% for
the next two weeks and see how things graph.

40-45% is way more protein calories than a maintenance diet
needs, but I'm trying to fight reality and actually build
new muscle while cutting fat, which is theoretically and
empirically impossible. But a goal is a good thing.

Losing weight is all about how many calories you eat
relative to energy output. The ratios just help determine
what sort of weight you'll lose, and modulate the rate
at which you lose fat and/or muscle. Cut out protein and
carbs, and you will go right into starvation mode and end
up nothing but fat and bones, then skin and bones. Cut out
carbs alone and the same will happen, slightly slower,
because carbs are needed to help protein cycle into muscles
(it's always cycling in and out, and without carbs, it just
cycles out.) Cut out too much fat and you'll be deficient in
essential oils; I can't remember offhand what that does to
you, but it's disease-like; I also remember that if 12-15%
of your calories are "good fat", you'll actually burn your
fat stores a little faster throughout the day.

One thing I do know is, trying to keep to that nutbar Atkins
thing is just going to make people sick.

--Blair
"Well, everyone except his
widow's accountant."

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'' )" wrote:
>
> > I heard Clinton buried a time capsule at his new presidential library
> > sized like an overseas shipping container filled with stuff he didn't
> > want anyone to find till long after his death,

> What made me laugh, it looks like a double wide in Arkansas, what
> were they thinking. That's gonna take off like a sail.

Actually, it looks more like a memorial to a certain battleship sunk in
Pearl Harbor. So maybe the sail part is apropos.

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'' )"
> > wrote:
>
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:

> > > Balsamico also partners well with cooked carrots...
> > >

> > My problem with carrots is that they are so strongly flavoured that they
> > just walk all over anything else in the meal, a little like a drunk
> > Michael Moore burping up at your baby shower.

> That is why I won't put many in soup or stew. I prefer to prepare them
> as a separate side dish.

I'm glad someone gets me. I have issues with celery too, BTW. Kinda
reminds me of Newt Gingrich.

--
I heard Clinton buried a time capsule at his new presidential library
sized like an overseas shipping container filled with stuff he didn't
want anyone to find till long after his death, the real deed to
Whitewater, the envelope for the Tyson Foods chicken payoffs, the real
gun he used to whack Foster, the keys to the Exocet missile he took Ron
Brown out with, copies of another few thousand illegally acquired FBI
files on his enemies, tickets to Tahiti from the White House Travel
Office, a few more soiled dresses, a couple of cases of well chewed
Cuban cigars, and the unabridged version of his autobiography. That last
one was touch and go just getting the bugger in.
Katra

In article >,
Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> Katra > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> >> My diet's kinda weird these days (has to do with losing
> >> weight and maintaining muscle), but the way I tune the
> >> ratios is with carrots for carbs and almonds or olives
> >> for "good fat". The three go together really well. I
> >> just eat them alongside whatever else I'm eating, but
> >> I suppose I could figure out a way to process them for
> >> presentation and integration.
> >>
> >> "Every protein's sacred."

> >I'm there myself. ;-)
> >Trying to keep the starch carbs down.
> >Do look carrots up in the food tables tho',
> >they are not as evil as you think!

> Who said carrots are evil? They're one of my favorite
> foods. And dead easy to calculate, because they're 1
> gram of carbs per 10 grams of carrot, with 10 of those
> pre-peeled carrotlets per 85 grams. Oh, and 2 almonds or
> 3 olives is 2 grams of fat. Makes it a cinch to dial
> in the numbers for science.
>
> You don't want to keep your starch carbs down. You want
> to split your carbs between starchy (potatoes, bread, etc.)
> and fibrous (green and yellow veggies) at every meal.

Uh, I'm trying to keep carbs below 25 grams per day. ;-)
That means mostly greens......

And that's ok. There are plenty of variety in them.

> People are different, and I've been modulating my
> carb-protein-fat ratios from 30-45-25 to 45-40-15 to see
> what works best (those numbers are percentage calories,
> not grams). I'm up to 45% of calories from carbs now,
> and it's going slower, so I may drop that to 40% for
> the next two weeks and see how things graph.

I try to keep them at about 10%. <lol>
I have insulin resistance.
It sux.

Hypothyroidism as well, so I'm pretty screwed!

> 40-45% is way more protein calories than a maintenance diet
> needs, but I'm trying to fight reality and actually build
> new muscle while cutting fat, which is theoretically and
> empirically impossible. But a goal is a good thing.

Well... if I'd get off my lazy ass and start weightlifting again,
I could increase the carbs to 30% and still burn fat and build muscle.

I eat mostly protien, a small amount of fat and mostly high fiber low
starch veggies.

> Losing weight is all about how many calories you eat
> relative to energy output.

Duh, but not all calories are created equal.
Your body lives on glucose. Period. That and a few vitamins and
minerals and micro-nutrients. For macronutrients, your body converts
anything you eat into glucose, and that gets converted to ATP.

Your body has to work one HELL of a lot harder to convert protien into
glucose via gluconeogenesis in the liver than to convert any
carbohydrate into glucose.

Basically, it burns more calories to turn protien into fuel than it does
to turn carbohydrates (or even fat) into fuel. Believe it or not, your
body has to work pretty hard to turn fat into fuel too which is why you
need a calorie deficit no matter WHAT diet you follow, but a low carb
diet gives you a "metabolic advantage".

The FASTEST I've ever lost weight was on the Atkins "fat fast" where you
eat nothing but 1,000 calories of fat each day, but that is not a hell
of a lot of food and drastically nutritionally deficient even with
vitamin supplements, and next to impossible to stay on for more than 5
days.

Oddly enough, the pounds will drop of faster on a fat fast than they
will on total fasting!

I know. I've done both. I've fasted for up to 14 days and all it does is
cause a metabolic shutdown...

> The ratios just help determine
> what sort of weight you'll lose, and modulate the rate
> at which you lose fat and/or muscle. Cut out protein and
> carbs, and you will go right into starvation mode and end
> up nothing but fat and bones, then skin and bones. Cut out
> carbs alone and the same will happen, slightly slower,
> because carbs are needed to help protein cycle into muscles
> (it's always cycling in and out, and without carbs, it just
> cycles out.) Cut out too much fat and you'll be deficient in
> essential oils; I can't remember offhand what that does to
> you, but it's disease-like; I also remember that if 12-15%
> of your calories are "good fat", you'll actually burn your
> fat stores a little faster throughout the day.
>
> One thing I do know is, trying to keep to that nutbar Atkins
> thing is just going to make people sick.

Yeah... I actually follow the South Beach diet more. Lots of fresh meat
and fresh veggies, mostly leafy greens. I'm feeling a hell of a lot
better and it's an easier diet to follow than the high fat atkins style!
I'm not overly fond of fat anyway. To much of it makes me gag! :-P

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'' )"
> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > "Bill Bonde ( ``And the Lamb lies down on Broadway'' )"
> > > wrote:

> > > My problem with carrots is that they are so strongly flavoured that they
> > > just walk all over anything else in the meal, a little like a drunk
> > > Michael Moore burping up at your baby shower.

> > That is why I won't put many in soup or stew. I prefer to prepare them
> > as a separate side dish.
> >

> I'm glad someone gets me. I have issues with celery too, BTW. Kinda
> reminds me of Newt Gingrich.

I do like celery, but you have to go easy on it as well if used as a
flavoring. :-) Peppers too.

A really yummy thing tho' is to mix just sliced celery with button
mushrooms as a side dish. Don't add anything else except maybe a little
butter.

I strongly agree about carrots having an overwhelming flavor! My mom
pointed it out to me once, and I realized she was right.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Carrots George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 4 05-03-2012 03:02 PM
Carrots Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 31 24-12-2008 10:49 PM
carrots Randell Tarin Vegan 3 30-08-2004 09:59 AM
carrots Michael Balarama Vegan 4 30-08-2004 09:59 AM