Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Carrots

Pulled another batch of carrots today, thinking of making the Carrot
Cake Jam from the Ball Big Book, always did like carrot cake. May just
eat them fresh. Cooked brown rice, carrot slices, chopped sweet chiles,
fresh mushrooms, and sliced pork in the rice cooker this afternoon.
Right tasty, added a little chipotle powder to the water in the cooker.
Got enough for at least three more meals.

Pretty day here, started off foggy, sun came out and dried things off.
The cherrybark oak in the backyard is making tassels, guess we will be
picking them up and composting them soon. Just got all the leaves up
last week. One plum tree and the peach tree are blooming.

We lost our big lemon tree two years ago, root scion is now about four
feet tall and has blooms, I'm amazed at the resilience of these plants.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/29/2012 9:16 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> One plum tree and the peach tree are blooming.
>
> We lost our big lemon tree two years ago, root scion is now about four
> feet tall and has blooms, I'm amazed at the resilience of these plants.

Mother Nature is taking good care of you!

I just opened a jar of jam I made late last season when mangoes and
apricots were cheap. (We didn't get one apricot off our trees last
year--late snow froze all the buds.) Mango-apricot is a very nice
combination, mellowing the tartness. I'll have to remember that this
summer.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/1/2012 10:33 AM, gloria p wrote:
> On 2/29/2012 9:16 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> One plum tree and the peach tree are blooming.
>>
>> We lost our big lemon tree two years ago, root scion is now about four
>> feet tall and has blooms, I'm amazed at the resilience of these plants.

> Mother Nature is taking good care of you!
>
> I just opened a jar of jam I made late last season when mangoes and
> apricots were cheap. (We didn't get one apricot off our trees last
> year--late snow froze all the buds.) Mango-apricot is a very nice
> combination, mellowing the tartness. I'll have to remember that this
> summer.
>
> gloria p

I have never liked mangoes, they just taste astringent to me. Miz Anne
likes them so I occasionally buy one for her. She also likes kiwi, I
don't, they taste like strawberries and I don't care for strawberries. I
guess my taste buds are set for just some fruit and not all of it.

Supposed to be 83F here today, getting closer to summer every day.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Carrots...George

Did you make your Carrot Cake jam?....how did it turn out?....sounds
yummy!.....I have a Ball Blue Book from 1966 and the recipe isn't in
there.....care to share?....thanks...Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/5/2012 4:05 AM, Carol S wrote:
> Did you make your Carrot Cake jam?....how did it turn out?....sounds
> yummy!.....I have a Ball Blue Book from 1966 and the recipe isn't in
> there.....care to share?....thanks...Carol

It's in the Ball Big Book Carol. I didn't make the jam as Miz Anne
decided we would just eat the carrots every day until they're gone. We
may turn orange from eating that many. The recipe is copywritten but as
long as I state the book title and the copyright I think it would be
okay to put on this group. When I get a chance I'll do it.

Carrots Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 31 24-12-2008 10:49 PM
Carrots...... Katra General Cooking 46 24-11-2004 03:28 AM
carrots Randell Tarin Vegan 3 30-08-2004 09:59 AM
carrots Michael Balarama Vegan 4 30-08-2004 09:59 AM