Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you eat with salmon?

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/16/2017 9:20 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am going to cook the salmon simply. Just baked, probably
>> with some
>> lemon. No, I won't be eating it. I do know how to cook it,
>> just
>> haven't made it for years. What would you serve with it?
>> Anything
>> goes. The people who will eating it are not picky.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Salmon Dave of Rocky River Ohio serves the following sides with
> salmon:
> SEARED SOY-GINGER MARINATED ~ basmati rice, glazed carrots & snow
> peas
> FIRE GRILLED ~ mashed potatoes, broccoli, lemon dill butter
> PAN ROASTED SALMON ~ lobster risotto, green beans, chardonnay
> cream
>
> ---
> Sam and Dave - I want to thank you
> https://youtu.be/WxQM7GXA8Tc

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 21:00:13 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>
>>Lots of posts regarding green beans. I often sauté them in olive or
>>avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
>>peppercorns. Along with that I would serve oven-roasted potatoes.
>>
>>A side salad of wild greens tossed with a mild lemony dressing would
>>be good.
>>

> snip
>
> I like the sound of that combination. Today, at the supermarket, they
> had a large display of green beans. The beans were in really good
> shape. I would have bought some but I already have plenty of fresh
> vegetables in my fridge.
> Janet US

The lemon beans were da bomb! Not many left.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:46:30 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2017-11-17 2:00 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 07:56:05a, Doris Night told us...

>>> Lots of posts regarding green beans. I often sauté them in olive or
>>> avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
>>> peppercorns.

>>Another way is to wrap single servings with a strip of prosciutto and
>>bake with the salmon or steam separately.
>>I also do asparagus that way sometimes.
>>Graham

> It's too bad you couldn't do en papillote that way but the beans
> wouldn't get done in time -- unless you maybe blanched them first.
> That would make a nice little package.
> Janet US

Wow. Candy underwear and nice little package all in the same thread. Whew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:18:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:50:37 -0500, S Viemeister

>>> I laughed at what Terry said, so it must have been funny.

>>It still is.
>>
>>*Bats a carrot coin at Bruce, followed by another and another* Purple,
>>orange and yellow, in that order!

> That's great! That means I can cook any colour fish I want tonight.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:32:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 179.44...
>>> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 07:56:05a, Doris Night told us...

>>> Lots of posts regarding green beans. I often sauté them in olive or
>>> avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
>>> peppercorns. Along with that I would serve oven-roasted potatoes.
>>>
>>> A side salad of wild greens tossed with a mild lemony dressing would
>>> be good.
>>>
>>> The star of the show should be salmon.

>>I once made a dish for Christmas that was most festive. Green beans, grape
>>tomatoes and potatoes roasted in the oven. I think the potatoes were small
>>gold ones. Must look for that recipe.

> That sounds delicious! I must try it. No recipe required - I would
> roast everything in olive oil, with salt, pepper, and perhaps some
> thyme.

That's probably exactly what it was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 01:55:24 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:22:36 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I'm a pig for real. Chinese Astrology.

>> Pig: Amiability
>> "Amiability without fidelity leads to immorality. "
>>
>> I'm an ox.
>> Industriousness
>> "Industriousness without wisdom leads to futility."
>>
>> https://www.chinahighlights.com/trav...hinese-zodiac/

>Just boast there Bruce.

Well, the jury's still out on the wisdom.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Fri 17 Nov 2017 02:54:39p, Ophelia told us...

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> On 2017-11-17 1:17 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
>

>> "greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?

> Sort of. Parchment on this side of the pond is often non-stick.
> Greaseproof, an old UK kitchen standby, is an untreated parchment.
> Graham
>
> ==
>
> I buy parchment with a foil backing. Never seen it before but it
> works fine

Parchment has long been available in Europe and the UK; however, it
took years before it appeared on the scene in the US. Even then, one
genrally had to order it and it was quite expensive. Since its
popularity has increased termendously in the US, it is also now very
reasonably priced.

Not that I'm particularly lazy, but I wish that the pre-cut sheets of
parchment sized for half-sheet pans and various sized cake pans, were
more reasonably priced.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Have you seen the one with a foil backing?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

99.me...

On 2017-11-17, Ophelia > wrote:
> "graham" wrote in message news >
> On 2017-11-17 1:17 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
>

>> "greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?

> Sort of. Parchment on this side of the pond is often non-stick.
> Greaseproof, an old UK kitchen standby, is an untreated parchment.
> Graham
>
>==
>
> I buy parchment with a foil backing. Never seen it before but it works
> fine

I have tried this recipe with different types of paper, and even foil,
and they all work ok, foil on its own being the worst but still ok.

Foil backed parchment sounds great because I always have trouble getting
the parcel to stay shut.

==

Can you get it where you are? I haven't tried mine yet. When I do, I will
report back ... and if you do the same?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-11-17, S Viemeister > wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that many people claim to be 'joking', when what they are
>> really being is nasty.

> Well, blesss yer lil' heart!

Will there be cornbread with that? White? Or yellow?

==

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > news

> >> Just as long as no one is serving up bullshit.

> > I prefer mooseshit. ;-)

> I'll take batshit.

OK, this thread is driving me apeshit!

Old boss: "Heck, I'd eat a turd if it was properly prepared."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Meat leftovers are rare in this house. But for me, 1/2 cup of baked beans
> would *be* the meal.

Whenever I make a large batch of baked beans, a small cup is a
good snack for me later at night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> >>Another way is to wrap single servings with a strip of prosciutto and
> >>bake with the salmon or steam separately.
> >>I also do asparagus that way sometimes.
> >>Graham

> > It's too bad you couldn't do en papillote that way but the beans
> > wouldn't get done in time -- unless you maybe blanched them first.
> > That would make a nice little package.
> > Janet US

> Wow. Candy underwear and nice little package all in the same thread. Whew.

STOP! ;-o

PS -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Yeah, Gary always says ' I'm just joking.'
> Janet US

Only when it's true.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-18 1:57 AM, Ben Oliver wrote:
> On 2017-11-17, Ophelia > wrote:
>> "graham" wrote in message news >>
>> On 2017-11-17 1:17 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
>>

>>> "greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?

>> Sort of. Parchment on this side of the pond is often non-stick.
>> Greaseproof, an old UK kitchen standby, is an untreated parchment.
>> Graham
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I buy parchment with a foil backing. Never seen it before but it works
>> fine
>>

> I have tried this recipe with different types of paper, and even foil,
> and they all work ok, foil on its own being the worst but still ok.
>
> Foil backed parchment sounds great because I always have trouble getting
> the parcel to stay shut.

There are 2 ways to solve this: the first is to use a stapler and the
second is to use parchment bags.
http://www.paperchef.com/products/cooking-bags/
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright"* wrote in message

> Not that I'm particularly lazy, but I wish that the pre-cut sheets of
> parchment sized for half-sheet pans and various sized cake pans, were
> more reasonably priced.
>
> ******************* Wayne Boatwright

Have you chatted up your local patissier? They might sell you a few sheets.
They are available at a local wholesaler but the packs contain enough to
last a couple of lifetimes!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plating Food (WAS: What do you eat with salmon?)

On 11/17/2017 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

>>> Lazy Gary here. heheh* Anytime I cook for even one other, I
>>> always consider the presentation but NEVER just* for me. Not only
>>> my lousy blurry camera, this is another reason that I don't send
>>> meal pics often. Once it comes out of the oven or off the stove,
>>> I plate and eat while it's nice and hot.*

>> I don't 'plate'.* The food is attractive before I dish it up.* Who has
>> time to arrange stuff on a plate.* It ought to look mouth watering
>> when it is done cooking.]
>> Janet US

> Me, I have time, some don't.
>
> Cheri

I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
"presentation".

I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2017 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I don't 'plate'.* The food is attractive before I dish it up.* Who has
>>> time to arrange stuff on a plate.* It ought to look mouth watering
>>> when it is done cooking.]
>>> Janet US

>> Me, I have time, some don't.
>>
>> Cheri

>I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>"presentation".
>
>I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.
>
>Jill

Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
what a food stylist does.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> David and I have had virtually the same Thanksgiving meal for nearly
> 25 years. We rarely have it for more than just the two of us, but it
> doesn't stop me from making a variety foods. Yesterday we did all of
> our shopping for everything except the last minute perishables.
>
> Roast turkey breast (for David)
> Roast chicken (for me)
> Baked cornbread dressing
> Gravy
> Mashed potatoes
> Candied sweet potatoes
> Sautéed green beans with slivered garlic and cracked peppercorns
> Fresh green peas in a sour cream sauce
> Homemade whole cranberry sauce
> Jellied cranberry sauce
> Relish tray
> Fresh baked cloverleaf rolls
> Pumpkin pie
> Pecan Pie

Good grief. Wayne won't see my reply but I just have to say...
When it comes to Thanksgiving dinner menu.... Wayne wins! :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-18, graham > wrote:

> There are 2 ways to solve this: the first is to use a stapler and the
> second is to use parchment bags.
> http://www.paperchef.com/products/cooking-bags/

......OR......

......jes learn to fold paper!

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHl1AAAeKGM>

I made some fish (?) en papillote after seeing a prize winning
recipe for it. Some lady made an en papillote bag, put in some fish,
carrots, fresh fennel root (first time I ever used it), and white wine!
The recipe then called for the packet to be nuked (yes, you read
correctly). Wine and cooked in a microwave. Who knew!?

The resulting dish was devine. BTW, for those of you who have a copy
of the Joy of Cooking, early '60s edition, it shows how to fold a
packet fer en papillote.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 9:46 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-11-18, graham > wrote:
>
>> There are 2 ways to solve this: the first is to use a stapler and the
>> second is to use parchment bags.
>> http://www.paperchef.com/products/cooking-bags/

> .....OR......
>
> .....jes learn to fold paper!
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHl1AAAeKGM>
>
> I made some fish (?) en papillote after seeing a prize winning
> recipe for it. Some lady made an en papillote bag, put in some fish,
> carrots, fresh fennel root (first time I ever used it), and white wine!
> The recipe then called for the packet to be nuked (yes, you read
> correctly). Wine and cooked in a microwave. Who knew!?
>
> The resulting dish was devine. BTW, for those of you who have a copy
> of the Joy of Cooking, early '60s edition, it shows how to fold a
> packet fer en papillote.
>
> nb

And also youtube to the rescue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqWmcvIjNY

The dual sheet method is largely foolproof should your origami skills be
lacking.

Btw - all 4 seasons of "The F Word" (UK) are seriously worth torrenting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:12:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 18 Nov 2017 07:00:00a, graham told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright"* wrote in message
>>
>>> Not that I'm particularly lazy, but I wish that the pre-cut
>>> sheets of parchment sized for half-sheet pans and various sized
>>> cake pans, were more reasonably priced.
>>>
>>> ******************* Wayne Boatwright

>> Have you chatted up your local patissier? They might sell you a
>> few sheets. They are available at a local wholesaler but the packs
>> contain enough to last a couple of lifetimes!
>> Graham
>>

>No, I haven't, and the only places I seen them for sale were either
>online or in cuilinary shops. Our pan sizes are fairly consistent in
>the US. I've seen half-sheet size and 8" and 9" rounds.
>
>Cutting off rectangles to fit our half-sheets are simple enough, but
>cutting numerous round sizes is a bit fiddly.

I get the half sheets from King Arthur. I know it is pricey but I
don't like the rolls and sometimes it is just easier to order it
rather than running here and there looking for what you want.
You're right. The order does last a long time -- I've only order
twice in my bread baking journey
http://tinyurl.com/ya8nbs9e
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Me, I have time, some don't.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>>I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>>cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>>take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>>"presentation".
>>
>>I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>>don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>>whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.
>>
>>Jill

> Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
> what a food stylist does.
> Janet US

That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Sat 18 Nov 2017 03:39:53a, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.44...
>
> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 02:54:39p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "graham" wrote in message news >>
>> On 2017-11-17 1:17 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
>>

>>> "greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?

>> Sort of. Parchment on this side of the pond is often non-stick.
>> Greaseproof, an old UK kitchen standby, is an untreated
>> parchment. Graham
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I buy parchment with a foil backing. Never seen it before but it
>> works fine
>>

> Parchment has long been available in Europe and the UK; however,
> it took years before it appeared on the scene in the US. Even
> then, one genrally had to order it and it was quite expensive.
> Since its popularity has increased termendously in the US, it is
> also now very reasonably priced.
>
> Not that I'm particularly lazy, but I wish that the pre-cut sheets
> of parchment sized for half-sheet pans and various sized cake
> pans, were more reasonably priced.
>
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> Have you seen the one with a foil backing?

No, I haven't, and I always on the lookout for new products. I
don't think it's hit our markets yet. Do you happen to know who
makes it? There are only 2 or 3 brands of parchment in our stores.

Wayne Boatwright

==

http://www.bacofoil.co.uk/product/2i...ment-and-foil/

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:07:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:54:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>Not me.
>>>My taste buds have taken over my body's food choices.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>You have to see it before you want to eat it, no? If it looks manky your
>>>taste buds won't get a chance, I bet

>> manky in British
>> ('mæ?k? )
>> adjective
>> Word forms: mankier or mankiest
>>
>> slang
>> 1.
>> worthless, rotten, or in bad taste
>> 2.
>> dirty, filthy, or bad
>> https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../english/manky
>>
>> Learn something new every day.

>Somebody somewhere used the handle of Manky Badger. Ew.

There's this, but I didn't click any further
http://www.mankybadger.co.uk/

==

Nor did I but then I've never heard of it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-18 9:55 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:12:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> Have you chatted up your local patissier? They might sell you a
>>> few sheets. They are available at a local wholesaler but the packs
>>> contain enough to last a couple of lifetimes!
>>> Graham
>>>

>> No, I haven't, and the only places I seen them for sale were either
>> online or in cuilinary shops. Our pan sizes are fairly consistent in
>> the US. I've seen half-sheet size and 8" and 9" rounds.
>>
>> Cutting off rectangles to fit our half-sheets are simple enough, but
>> cutting numerous round sizes is a bit fiddly.

> I get the half sheets from King Arthur. I know it is pricey but I
> don't like the rolls and sometimes it is just easier to order it
> rather than running here and there looking for what you want.
> You're right. The order does last a long time -- I've only order
> twice in my bread baking journey
> http://tinyurl.com/ya8nbs9e
> Janet US

I buy tear-off packs of sheets when I visit the UK. I've stocked up
several as well as packs of various sizes of rounds for cakes.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15964/Unbl...rchment-Paper-
> Roll-33cm-x-20m
>
> Can you get greaseproof paper there? It comes on a roll too
>
> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/5519/Lakel...r-Roll-38cm-x-
> 25m
>

> Janet UK

Lakeland also sells packs of rectangular sheets that I buy when I visit
the UK. They are so much more convenient than rolls as they don't curl
up on the pan.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 10:16 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-11-18 10:04 AM, Janet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>>
>>> On Sat 18 Nov 2017 07:00:00a, graham told us...

>>> No, I haven't, and the only places I seen them for sale were either
>>> online or in cuilinary shops.* Our pan sizes are fairly consistent in
>>> the US.* I've seen half-sheet size and 8" and 9" rounds.
>>>
>>> Cutting off rectangles to fit our half-sheets are simple enough, but
>>> cutting numerous round sizes is a bit fiddly.

>> ** In UK, baking parchment comes on a roll. Cut it to suit.
>>
>> **
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15964/Unbl...rchment-Paper-
>> Roll-33cm-x-20m
>>
>> ** Can you get greaseproof paper there? It comes on a roll too
>>
>> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/5519/Lakel...r-Roll-38cm-x-
>> 25m
>>

>> *** Janet UK
>>

> Lakeland also sells packs of rectangular sheets that I buy when I visit
> the UK. They are so much more convenient than rolls as they don't curl
> up on the pan.
> Graham

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/parchment-paper/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-18 9:54 AM, casa chevrolet wrote:
> On 11/18/2017 9:46 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2017-11-18, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> There are 2 ways to solve this: the first is to use a stapler and the
>>> second is to use parchment bags.
>>> http://www.paperchef.com/products/cooking-bags/

>> .....OR......
>>
>> .....jes learn to fold paper!
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHl1AAAeKGM>
>>
>> I made some fish (?) en papillote after seeing a prize winning
>> recipe for it.Â* Some lady made an en papillote bag, put in some fish,
>> carrots, fresh fennel root (first time I ever used it), and white wine!
>> The recipe then called for the packet to be nuked (yes, you read
>> correctly).Â* Wine and cooked in a microwave.Â* Who knew!?
>>
>> The resulting dish was devine.Â* BTW, for those of you who have a copy
>> of the Joy of Cooking, early '60s edition, it shows how to fold a
>> packet fer en papillote.Â*
>>
>> nb
>>

> And also youtube to the rescue!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqWmcvIjNY
>
> The dual sheet method is largely foolproof should your origami skills be
> lacking.
>
> Btw - all 4 seasons of "The F Word" (UK) are seriously worth torrenting.

Where you see Ramsey in a happier mood without all the Fox Channel drama.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:02:41 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>>I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>>>cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>>>take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>>>"presentation".
>>>
>>>I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>>>don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>>>whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.
>>>
>>>Jill

>> Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
>> what a food stylist does.
>> Janet US

>That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
>and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
>stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
>really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
>instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.
>

>Cheri

I understand exactly what you mean.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-18 9:46 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-11-18, graham > wrote:
>
>> There are 2 ways to solve this: the first is to use a stapler and the
>> second is to use parchment bags.
>> http://www.paperchef.com/products/cooking-bags/

> .....OR......
>
> .....jes learn to fold paper!
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHl1AAAeKGM>
>
> I made some fish (?) en papillote after seeing a prize winning
> recipe for it. Some lady made an en papillote bag, put in some fish,
> carrots, fresh fennel root (first time I ever used it), and white wine!
> The recipe then called for the packet to be nuked (yes, you read
> correctly). Wine and cooked in a microwave. Who knew!?
>
> The resulting dish was devine. BTW, for those of you who have a copy
> of the Joy of Cooking, early '60s edition, it shows how to fold a
> packet fer en papillote.

I'm not incompetent but sometimes the damned folds won't stay put! The
bags are easier to use. Although the MW is OK and quick, if you are
already using the oven, 15 minutes at 400F will do.
I've cooked a dozen or so small scallops in a bag with fennel and put it
on the kitchen table for guests to go at while I'm finishing off the
main course for a dinner party.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> David and I have had virtually the same Thanksgiving meal for nearly
> 25 years. We rarely have it for more than just the two of us, but it
> doesn't stop me from making a variety foods. Yesterday we did all of
> our shopping for everything except the last minute perishables.
>
> Roast turkey breast (for David)
> Roast chicken (for me)
> Baked cornbread dressing
> Gravy
> Mashed potatoes
> Candied sweet potatoes
> Sautéed green beans with slivered garlic and cracked peppercorns
> Fresh green peas in a sour cream sauce
> Homemade whole cranberry sauce
> Jellied cranberry sauce
> Relish tray
> Fresh baked cloverleaf rolls
> Pumpkin pie
> Pecan Pie

Good grief. Wayne won't see my reply but I just have to say...
When it comes to Thanksgiving dinner menu.... Wayne wins! :-D

==

Perhaps he will now I don't like to see nice comments wasted

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 10:24 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-11-18 9:54 AM, casa chevrolet wrote:

>>> .....OR......
>>>
>>> .....jes learn to fold paper!
>>>
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHl1AAAeKGM>
>>>
>>> I made some fish (?) en papillote after seeing a prize winning
>>> recipe for it.Â* Some lady made an en papillote bag, put in some fish,
>>> carrots, fresh fennel root (first time I ever used it), and white wine!
>>> The recipe then called for the packet to be nuked (yes, you read
>>> correctly).Â* Wine and cooked in a microwave.Â* Who knew!?
>>>
>>> The resulting dish was devine.Â* BTW, for those of you who have a copy
>>> of the Joy of Cooking, early '60s edition, it shows how to fold a
>>> packet fer en papillote.Â*
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> And also youtube to the rescue!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqWmcvIjNY
>>
>> The dual sheet method is largely foolproof should your origami skills
>> be lacking.
>>
>> Btw - all 4 seasons of "The F Word" (UK) are seriously worth torrenting.

> Where you see Ramsey in a happier mood without all the Fox Channel drama.

Precisely, and you get the benefit of being introduced to guests such as
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.

His "River Cottage" series is another "must see tv" program.

https://www.rivercottage.net/about

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes

Ch. 4 rocks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

>>> Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
>>> what a food stylist does.
>>> Janet US

>>That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
>>and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
>>stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
>>really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
>>instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.
>>

>>Cheri
>>

> I understand exactly what you mean.
> Janet US

Thank you, I knew you did. Who knew that a few of us saying we like
different colors and our *go with* suggestions for salmon on the plate would
cause such controversy.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:44:22 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> David and I have had virtually the same Thanksgiving meal for nearly
>> 25 years. We rarely have it for more than just the two of us, but it
>> doesn't stop me from making a variety foods. Yesterday we did all of
>> our shopping for everything except the last minute perishables.
>>
>> Roast turkey breast (for David)
>> Roast chicken (for me)
>> Baked cornbread dressing
>> Gravy
>> Mashed potatoes
>> Candied sweet potatoes
>> Sautéed green beans with slivered garlic and cracked peppercorns
>> Fresh green peas in a sour cream sauce
>> Homemade whole cranberry sauce
>> Jellied cranberry sauce
>> Relish tray
>> Fresh baked cloverleaf rolls
>> Pumpkin pie
>> Pecan Pie

>Good grief. Wayne won't see my reply but I just have to say...
>When it comes to Thanksgiving dinner menu.... Wayne wins! :-D

I'm just afraid no mortal can survive this dinner. I think they'll
both explode a la Monty Python.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

>>> Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
>>> what a food stylist does.
>>> Janet US

>>That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
>>and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
>>stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
>>really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
>>instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.
>>

>>Cheri
>>

> I understand exactly what you mean.
> Janet US

Thank you, I knew you did. Who knew that a few of us saying we like
different colors and our *go with* suggestions for salmon on the plate would
cause such controversy.

Cheri

==

Errr this IS RFC you know <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-18 10:20 AM, casa chevrolet wrote:
> On 11/18/2017 10:16 AM, graham wrote:
>> On 2017-11-18 10:04 AM, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> ** In UK, baking parchment comes on a roll. Cut it to suit.
>>>
>>> **
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15964/Unbl...rchment-Paper-
>>> Roll-33cm-x-20m
>>>
>>> ** Can you get greaseproof paper there? It comes on a roll too
>>>
>>> http://www.lakeland.co.uk/5519/Lakel...r-Roll-38cm-x-
>>> 25m
>>>

>>> *** Janet UK
>>>

>> Lakeland also sells packs of rectangular sheets that I buy when I
>> visit the UK. They are so much more convenient than rolls as they
>> don't curl up on the pan.
>> Graham

> http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/parchment-paper/

Great - if you can find them! I found several sources for parchment
sheets online but they roll them up for shipping - which rather defeats
the purpose!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 11/17/2017 2:30 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I don't 'plate'.* The food is attractive before I dish it up.* Who has
>>> time to arrange stuff on a plate.* It ought to look mouth watering
>>> when it is done cooking.]
>>> Janet US

>> Me, I have time, some don't.
>>
>> Cheri

>I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>cooked.

Takes UNDER FIVE SECONDS to snap a pic. The difficult part is to
remember before you finish eating... I often forget too...
occasionally I've posted a pic of the left overs the next day and just
don't say.

>I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>"presentation".
>
>I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>whatever. I'm cooking for myself.
>No need to garnish the plate.

True... just place your wine glass in the pic. lol
I don't usually garnish for rfc pics, only time I garnish is for
company, and not always. However it's not all that difficult to
arrange food attractively rather than toss it on a plate haphazardly.
Jill, don't you have a box of those oriental paper umbrellas, you
must... that's garnish aplenty... and they're reusable unless it's an
outdoor event and it rains.