Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you eat with salmon?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:11:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>> > I would do the green beans, They have a nice organized shape just
>> > like the salmon.

>> Exactly!

>LMAO here! :-D
>Green beans "have a nice organized shape just like the salmon."
>Oh man. Please!
>
>Please don't get mad at me, you two.
>I *am* in teasing mode here this afternoon.
>And for that reason, I'm signing off after this one.
>My teasing always gets me in big trouble here. ;-o
>Best that I return in the am.
>
>That said, you two are being so funny with
>finicky food presentation.
>
>Again before I leave. This one was a classic. I'm saving it.
>Green beans "have a nice organized shape just like the salmon."

You obviously don't think about what you are cooking before you cook.
Don't you have a passing thought before you start throwing paint at a
house? That's all we are talking about. You're making a much bigger
deal of some words than is necessary. This isn't a design class. Even
Sheldon thinks about what goes together and how.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 11:23:21 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> Exactly!

>> LMAO here! :-D
>> Green beans "have a nice organized shape just like the salmon."
>> Oh man. Please!
>>
>> Please don't get mad at me, you two.
>> I *am* in teasing mode here this afternoon.
>> And for that reason, I'm signing off after this one.
>> My teasing always gets me in big trouble here. ;-o
>> Best that I return in the am.
>>
>> That said, you two are being so funny with
>> finicky food presentation.
>>
>> Again before I leave. This one was a classic. I'm saving it.
>> Green beans "have a nice organized shape just like the salmon."

>There's nothing finicky about it, just what I am used to doing and it's no
>trouble at all. Now, in the old days when I was slopping the pigs I didn't
>care how it looked and neither did they.
>
>Cheri

I didn't want to touch that, but I did think it ;-)

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 12:33:22 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:11:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Cheri wrote:

>>> Exactly!

>>LMAO here! :-D
>>Green beans "have a nice organized shape just like the salmon."
>>Oh man. Please!
>>
>>Please don't get mad at me, you two.
>>I *am* in teasing mode here this afternoon.
>>And for that reason, I'm signing off after this one.
>>My teasing always gets me in big trouble here. ;-o
>>Best that I return in the am.
>>
>>That said, you two are being so funny with
>>finicky food presentation.
>>
>>Again before I leave. This one was a classic. I'm saving it.
>>Green beans "have a nice organized shape just like the salmon."

>You obviously don't think about what you are cooking before you cook.
>Don't you have a passing thought before you start throwing paint at a
>house?

You don't eat paint. It stays there, for everybody to see.

>That's all we are talking about.

No, you were talking about food, not about paint.

>You're making a much bigger deal of some words than is necessary.

Your words, your problem.

>This isn't a design class.

Exactly.

>Even Sheldon thinks about what goes together and how.

Sheldon, the new RFC benchmark!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:06:06 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:20:07 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I am going to cook the salmon simply. Just baked, probably with some lemon.
>> >No, I won't be eating it. I do know how to cook it, just haven't made it for
>> >years. What would you serve with it? Anything goes. The people who will
>> >eating it are not picky.

>> Braised fennel is nice with salmon.
>>
>> Doris

>So what do you do there? Braise a spice (fennel) then smear
>it on a salmon?

" fennel is a bulbous vegetable with a tall, wispy, fronded top that
looks rather like dill. The fronds can be used in salads, but the main
attraction of fennel is the bulb itself. It's very firm and crunchy,
and it tastes a bit like licorice and anise. It has a fresh, bright
taste and it's one of our favorite vegetables for salads and slaws. It
can also be grilled or braised until tender.
The bulb is made of overlapping layers of vegetable, almost like a
cabbage — but very firm and hard. To be used in salads, fennel should
be sliced very thin, and it's easiest to do this with a mandoline.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:06:06 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Doris Night wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:20:07 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Braised fennel is nice with salmon.
>>>
>>> Doris

>>So what do you do there? Braise a spice (fennel) then smear
>>it on a salmon?

> " fennel is a bulbous vegetable with a tall, wispy, fronded top that
> looks rather like dill. The fronds can be used in salads, but the main
> attraction of fennel is the bulb itself. It's very firm and crunchy,
> and it tastes a bit like licorice and anise. It has a fresh, bright
> taste and it's one of our favorite vegetables for salads and slaws. It
> can also be grilled or braised until tender.
> The bulb is made of overlapping layers of vegetable, almost like a
> cabbage — but very firm and hard. To be used in salads, fennel should
> be sliced very thin, and it's easiest to do this with a mandoline.
>
> Janet US

Geez, don't turn Gary loose with a mandoline, on the other hand it might add
color to his presentation of fingertips. ;-) JK Gary.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 12:39 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> Even Sheldon thinks about what goes together and how.

> Sheldon, the new RFC benchmark!

Problem there is?

Face it, his likability numbers totally eclipse yours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-17, Julie Bove > wrote:
> I am going to cook the salmon simply. Just baked, probably with some lemon.
> No, I won't be eating it. I do know how to cook it, just haven't made it for
> years. What would you serve with it? Anything goes. The people who will
> eating it are not picky.
>
> Thanks!

I quite often do it on a bed of cous cous, mixed up with herbs.

- Cook the cous cous
- Mix some herbs into it and fluff it up with a fork
- Take some and make a little pile on a sheet of greaseproof paper
- Lay your salmon fillet on the cous cous bed
- Close up the sides of the paper, making a parcel, looks like a pasty
- Stick it in the oven at mid-low heat (150C for me) for about 10-15 minutes.

You can serve it in the 'parcel' itself for some novelty value.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 1:14 PM, Ben Oliver wrote:
> On 2017-11-17, Julie Bove > wrote:
>> I am going to cook the salmon simply. Just baked, probably with some lemon.
>> No, I won't be eating it. I do know how to cook it, just haven't made it for
>> years. What would you serve with it? Anything goes. The people who will
>> eating it are not picky.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I quite often do it on a bed of cous cous, mixed up with herbs.
>
> - Cook the cous cous
> - Mix some herbs into it and fluff it up with a fork
> - Take some and make a little pile on a sheet of greaseproof paper
> - Lay your salmon fillet on the cous cous bed
> - Close up the sides of the paper, making a parcel, looks like a pasty
> - Stick it in the oven at mid-low heat (150C for me) for about 10-15 minutes.
>
> You can serve it in the 'parcel' itself for some novelty value.

"greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 1:23 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 10:28:22 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 08:52:18 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> Oh bullshit. Of course you're entitled to your own opinion, as am I, but
>>> appearance *is* one of the top 3 priorities around here, no bullshit
>>> involved.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> what is it that gets criticized first around here when someone posts a
>> photo??? Exactly. Appearance.

> But by who(m)?

Â* Oooh oooh ! oooh oooh oooh ! I know , I know ! Is it ... Cheri and
Janet ?? Huh huh huhÂ* is it is it is it ?

Â* --

Â* Mr Colorblind

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:35:55 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2017 1:23 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 10:28:22 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>>> what is it that gets criticized first around here when someone posts a
>>> photo??? Exactly. Appearance.

>> But by who(m)?

> * Oooh oooh ! oooh oooh oooh ! I know , I know ! Is it ... Cheri and
>Janet ?? Huh huh huh* is it is it is it ?
>
> * --
>
> * Mr Colorblind

You need to prove that. Really. I have never. Unless it just makes
you feel better to be wrong.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 11/17/2017 1:23 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 10:28:22 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>>> what is it that gets criticized first around here when someone posts a
>>> photo??? Exactly. Appearance.

>> But by who(m)?

> * Oooh oooh ! oooh oooh oooh ! I know , I know ! Is it ... Cheri and
>Janet ?? Huh huh huh* is it is it is it ?
>
> * --
>
> * Mr Colorblind

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 2:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:35:55 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2017 1:23 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> But by who(m)?

>> Â* Oooh oooh ! oooh oooh oooh ! I know , I know ! Is it ... Cheri and
>> Janet ?? Huh huh huhÂ* is it is it is it ?
>>
>> Â* --
>>
>> Â* Mr Colorblind

> You need to prove that. Really. I have never. Unless it just makes
> you feel better to be wrong.
> Janet US

Â* Oh geez , lighten up Janet . I'm just yankin' your chain .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:54:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> >I wouldn't do carrots, that would be two orange foods (salmon and
>> >carrots).
>> >I would go with green
>> > beans, broccoli or Brussels sprouts....a green veg.
>> >
>> > N.

>> Yes, as they say...you eat with your eyes first.

>Not me.
>My taste buds have taken over my body's food choices.
>
>==
>
>You have to see it before you want to eat it, no? If it looks manky your
>taste buds won't get a chance, I bet

manky in British
('mæ?k? )
adjective
Word forms: mankier or mankiest

slang
1.
worthless, rotten, or in bad taste
2.
dirty, filthy, or bad
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../english/manky

Learn something new every day.

==

:-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 15:05:09 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2017 2:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:35:55 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> * Oooh oooh ! oooh oooh oooh ! I know , I know ! Is it ... Cheri and
>>> Janet ?? Huh huh huh* is it is it is it ?
>>>
>>> * --
>>>
>>> * Mr Colorblind

>> You need to prove that. Really. I have never. Unless it just makes
>> you feel better to be wrong.
>> Janet US

> * Oh geez , lighten up Janet . I'm just yankin' your chain .
>
> * --
>
> * Snag

Yeah, Gary always says ' I'm just joking.'
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-17 1:17 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:

> "greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?

Sort of. Parchment on this side of the pond is often non-stick.
Greaseproof, an old UK kitchen standby, is an untreated parchment.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-17 2:00 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 07:56:05a, Doris Night told us...
>
>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:20:07 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I am going to cook the salmon simply. Just baked, probably with
>>> some lemon. No, I won't be eating it. I do know how to cook it,
>>> just haven't made it for years. What would you serve with it?
>>> Anything goes. The people who will eating it are not picky.

>> Braised fennel is nice with salmon.
>>
>> Doris

> Lots of posts regarding green beans. I often sauté them in olive or
> avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
> peppercorns.

Another way is to wrap single servings with a strip of prosciutto and
bake with the salmon or steam separately.
I also do asparagus that way sometimes.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 4:27 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Yeah, Gary always says ' I'm just joking.'
> Janet US

I've noticed that many people claim to be 'joking', when what they are
really being is nasty.

Jokes are funny. Nastiness is not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-17 1:17 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:

> "greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?

Sort of. Parchment on this side of the pond is often non-stick.
Greaseproof, an old UK kitchen standby, is an untreated parchment.
Graham

==

I buy parchment with a foil backing. Never seen it before but it works
fine

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-17, S Viemeister > wrote:

> I've noticed that many people claim to be 'joking', when what they are
> really being is nasty.

Well, blesss yer lil' heart!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:50:37 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 11/17/2017 4:27 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> Yeah, Gary always says ' I'm just joking.'
>> Janet US
>>

>I've noticed that many people claim to be 'joking', when what they are
>really being is nasty.
>
>Jokes are funny. Nastiness is not.

I laughed at what Terry said, so it must have been funny.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 3:27 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 15:05:09 -0600, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2017 2:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> You need to prove that. Really. I have never. Unless it just makes
>>> you feel better to be wrong.
>>> Janet US

>> Â* Oh geez , lighten up Janet . I'm just yankin' your chain .
>>
>> Â* --
>>
>> Â* Snag

> Yeah, Gary always says ' I'm just joking.'
> Janet US

Â* Janet , I'm sorry if you took my comments seriously . It really was
all in fun on my part , though you and I do have differing opinions of
the importance of appearance . We don't "entertain" , and it's just
never been an issue with us . As it apparently is important to you , I
say "Sail On !" .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>I wouldn't do carrots, that would be two orange foods (salmon and carrots).
>I would go with green
> beans, broccoli or Brussels sprouts....a green veg.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>I wouldn't do carrots, that would be two orange foods (salmon and
>>carrots). I would go with green
>> beans, broccoli or Brussels sprouts....a green veg.
>>
>> N.

> Yes, as they say...you eat with your eyes first.

I was feeding a lot of people during the summer and I made foods for the
picky eaters. I realized as I served it that it was pretty much all brown or
otherwise colorless. Chicken strips, fries and whole wheat rolls with peanut
butter cookies for dessert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> Yes, as they say...you eat with your eyes first.

>> Not me.
>> My taste buds have taken over my body's food choices.

> No problem, I want my food to look good on the plate as well as taste
> good. It doesn't take much time to present an attractive plate, at least
> food that is attractive to us. Now, if I lived by myself...I still would
> do it that way. LOL

When feeding myself, I don't usually go into great presentation but I do
prefer different colors of foods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 2:42 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-11-17 1:17 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
>

>> "greaseproof paper" = parchment paper?

> Sort of. Parchment on this side of the pond is often non-stick.
> Greaseproof, an old UK kitchen standby, is an untreated parchment.
> Graham

Roger that, a trip to the pantry tells me ours is also non-stick.

Fish and veggies in parchment packages is a really nice dish, always
perfectly moist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 2:46 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-11-17 2:00 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 07:56:05a, Doris Night told us...
>>
>>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:20:07 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Braised fennel is nice with salmon.
>>>
>>> Doris

>> Lots of posts regarding green beans.Â* I often sauté them in olive or
>> avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
>> peppercorns.

> Another way is to wrap single servings with a strip of prosciutto and
> bake with the salmon or steam separately.
> I also do asparagus that way sometimes.
> Graham

Ditto the asparagus, then finished with a shake of parmesan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 10:12 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Taxed and Spent" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 11/17/2017 9:28 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> what is it that gets criticized first around here when someone posts a
>>> photo??? Exactly. Appearance.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> What else can you criticize from a photo? Taste? Aroma?

> The method of cooking with the way it looks? For instance, a boiled steak?
> LOL
>
> Cheri

That would be appearance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 21:00:13 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

snip

>Lots of posts regarding green beans. I often sauté them in olive or
>avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
>peppercorns. Along with that I would serve oven-roasted potatoes.
>
>A side salad of wild greens tossed with a mild lemony dressing would
>be good.

snip

I like the sound of that combination. Today, at the supermarket, they
had a large display of green beans. The beans were in really good
shape. I would have bought some but I already have plenty of fresh
vegetables in my fridge.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:46:30 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2017-11-17 2:00 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 07:56:05a, Doris Night told us...
>>
>>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:20:07 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Braised fennel is nice with salmon.
>>>
>>> Doris

>> Lots of posts regarding green beans. I often sauté them in olive or
>> avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
>> peppercorns.

>Another way is to wrap single servings with a strip of prosciutto and
>bake with the salmon or steam separately.
>I also do asparagus that way sometimes.
>Graham

It's too bad you couldn't do en papillote that way but the beans
wouldn't get done in time -- unless you maybe blanched them first.
That would make a nice little package.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 4:40 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:46:30 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-11-17 2:00 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 07:56:05a, Doris Night told us...

>>> Lots of posts regarding green beans. I often sauté them in olive or
>>> avocado oil along with slivers of garlic and cracked black
>>> peppercorns.

>> Another way is to wrap single servings with a strip of prosciutto and
>> bake with the salmon or steam separately.
>> I also do asparagus that way sometimes.
>> Graham

> It's too bad you couldn't do en papillote that way but the beans
> wouldn't get done in time -- unless you maybe blanched them first.
> That would make a nice little package.
> Janet US

Always blanch and chill, good advice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 17 Nov 2017 02:50:37p, S Viemeister told us...
>
>> On 11/17/2017 4:27 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, Gary always says ' I'm just joking.'
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I've noticed that many people claim to be 'joking', when what they
>> are really being is nasty.
>>
>> Jokes are funny. Nastiness is not.
>>

> I generally don't joke, but as of late I know that I've had a masty
> streak. I apologize to thosee to whom I've made critical or nasty
> remarks.

You're a good egg, Wayne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 8:37 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> I wouldn't do carrots, that would be two orange foods (salmon and
>> carrots). I would go with green
>> beans, broccoli or Brussels sprouts....a green veg.
>>
>> N.

> Yes, as they say...you eat with your eyes first.
>
> Cheri

I absolutely agree about eating with your eyes. It's not enticing to
have everything on the plate look the same.

I've been thinking about this with my planned Thanksgiving meal. The
roasted fowl. The baked cornbread dressing. The gravy. As much as I'd
love to have some squash with this, even the winter ones are all sort of
the same shade. So, the meal needs brightening with green veggies.
Probably broccoli. Maybe sauteed spinach with garlic. Maybe roasted
brussels sprouts. Mix things up. Having everything the same shade
really is boring.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

>I absolutely agree about eating with your eyes. It's not enticing to
>have everything on the plate look the same.
>
>I've been thinking about this with my planned Thanksgiving meal. The
>roasted fowl. The baked cornbread dressing. The gravy. As much as I'd
>love to have some squash with this, even the winter ones are all sort of
>the same shade. So, the meal needs brightening with green veggies.
>Probably broccoli. Maybe sauteed spinach with garlic. Maybe roasted
>brussels sprouts. Mix things up. Having everything the same shade
>really is boring.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/92773/g...harvard-beets/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:10:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Cheri wrote:

>>> No problem, I want my food to look good on the plate as well as taste
>>> good.
>>> It doesn't take much time to present an attractive plate, at least food
>>> that
>>> is attractive to us. Now, if I lived by myself...I still would do it
>>> that
>>> way. LOL

>>Lazy Gary here. heheh Anytime I cook for even one other, I
>>always consider the presentation but NEVER just for me. Not only
>>my lousy blurry camera, this is another reason that I don't send
>>meal pics often. Once it comes out of the oven or off the stove,
>>I plate and eat while it's nice and hot.

> I don't 'plate'. The food is attractive before I dish it up. Who has
> time to arrange stuff on a plate. It ought to look mouth watering
> when it is done cooking.]
> Janet US

If I am serving others at this house, I usually have to plate. My dining
table is too small for serving dishes. Sometimes I will just leave the food
on the stove and have them serve themselves but that is generally for a one
dish meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 20:00:39 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/17/2017 8:37 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>> I wouldn't do carrots, that would be two orange foods (salmon and
>>> carrots). I would go with green
>>> beans, broccoli or Brussels sprouts....a green veg.
>>>
>>> N.

>> Yes, as they say...you eat with your eyes first.
>>
>> Cheri

>I absolutely agree about eating with your eyes. It's not enticing to
>have everything on the plate look the same.

Bloody hell, I'm starting to agree with dsi1. Some people need a short
famine to get over themselves and their spoilt little princess dramas.

>I've been thinking about this with my planned Thanksgiving meal. The
>roasted fowl. The baked cornbread dressing. The gravy. As much as I'd
>love to have some squash with this, even the winter ones are all sort of
>the same shade.

LOL. And then you buy prefab tamales of which you don't even know the
real colour.

>So, the meal needs brightening with green veggies.
>Probably broccoli. Maybe sauteed spinach with garlic. Maybe roasted
>brussels sprouts. Mix things up. Having everything the same shade
>really is boring.

Maybe buy some food colouring and sprinkle that over your squash to
make it green.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:54:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>>Cheri wrote:

>>> Yes, as they say...you eat with your eyes first.

>>Not me.
>>My taste buds have taken over my body's food choices.
>>
>>==
>>
>>You have to see it before you want to eat it, no? If it looks manky your
>>taste buds won't get a chance, I bet

> manky in British
> ('mæ?k? )
> adjective
> Word forms: mankier or mankiest
>
> slang
> 1.
> worthless, rotten, or in bad taste
> 2.
> dirty, filthy, or bad
> https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../english/manky
>
> Learn something new every day.

Somebody somewhere used the handle of Manky Badger. Ew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't do carrots, that would be two orange foods (salmon and
>> carrots). I would go with green
>> beans, broccoli or Brussels sprouts....a green veg.

> Salmon is not orange once it's cooked though. :-\

It's not? Looks pinkish orange to me. What in the heck kind of salmon are
you eating?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 09:44:41 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Nancy2 wrote:
>>>
>>> I wouldn't do carrots, that would be two orange foods (salmon and
>>> carrots). I would go with green
>>> beans, broccoli or Brussels sprouts....a green veg.

>>Salmon is not orange once it's cooked though. :-\

> If you overcook it, it becomes greyish. When that happens, you can't
> combine it with cauliflower anymore.

Oh you can. You just have to add plenty of butter and shredded broccoli.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Exactly!
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Oh bullshit . Of course you're entitled to your own opinion , as am I .
>> But appearance is not one of the top 3 priorities around here .
>>
>> --
>>
>> Snag

> Oh bullshit. Of course you're entitled to your own opinion, as am I, but
> appearance *is* one of the top 3 priorities around here, no bullshit
> involved.

Just as long as no one is serving up bullshit.