Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salmon w/mayo and another salmon recipe

So, I made the salmon with mayo and it was very good, thanks to whoever recommended that.

I sprinkled the mayo with Mural of Flavor from Penzeys; nice stuff. Easy and very good, a winner in my book.

We are fortunate to have a Penzeys about an hour and a half from here so we can go occasionally.

Here is another one that we like and is what I like to call a "crowd pleaser" Hope you like it!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maple-salmon/detail.aspx

Julie P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> So, I made the salmon with mayo and it was very good, thanks to whoever
> recommended that.

You are most welcome and I am very pleased you enjoyed it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 7, 2014 9:08:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> So, I made the salmon with mayo and it was very good, thanks to whoever recommended that.
>

> I sprinkled the mayo with Mural of Flavor from Penzeys; nice stuff. Easy and very good, a winner in my book.
>

> We are fortunate to have a Penzeys about an hour and a half from here so we can go occasionally.
>

> Here is another one that we like and is what I like to call a "crowd pleaser" Hope you like it!
>

> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maple-salmon/detail.aspx
>

> Julie P

My mother use to make salmon pie. She bought a can of red salmon and removed the bones. She mixed in mashed potatoes, finely chopped onions and other spices? Used a top and bottom pie crust. That was really good.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucille wrote:

> My mother use to make salmon pie. She bought a can of red salmon and removed the bones. She mixed in mashed potatoes, finely chopped onions and other spices? Used a top and bottom pie crust. That was really good.

Good for your mom to remove the bones! :-) :-D

I bought a can of salmon once about 40 years ago and prepared it like
tuna salad sandwiches. The bones freaked me out. Why in the world
would they leave the bones and cook them right in? Totally disgusting
to me. Not even dog food quality meat. That was my first experience
with salmon and it ruined me on it for years.

Then about 10 years ago, I bought some fresh salmon steaks (fresh and
no bones) and I absolutely loved it.

Still no salmon since but I will buy it fresh again. I will NEVER buy
that canned crap again.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:45:55 AM UTC-8, Gary wrote:

> I bought a can of salmon once about 40 years ago and prepared it like
>
> tuna salad sandwiches. The bones freaked me out. Why in the world
>
> would they leave the bones and cook them right in? Totally disgusting
>
> to me. Not even dog food quality meat. That was my first experience
>
> with salmon and it ruined me on it for years.
>

> Then about 10 years ago, I bought some fresh salmon steaks (fresh and
>
> no bones) and I absolutely loved it.
>

> Still no salmon since but I will buy it fresh again. I will NEVER buy
>
> that canned crap again.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the canned salmon. Good canned salmon is a wonderful thing. You can do a lot with it. If you ever get curious or adventurous about salmon again, try these salmon cakes. They are yummy. The addition of a little smoked salmon gives them a rich flavor. Oh, and if you look down on a can of soup, you can use mayo or sour cream in it's place but it will change the final taste.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...s-salmon-cakes

1 64oz. can good salmon
1 can cream of celery soup
5 large eggs -- beaten
1 medium onion - grated
1/2 cup green onions - chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup fresh parsley - chopped
8 oz. smoked salmon - chopped
panko bread crumbs or plain bread crumbs

1. Drain salmon in a colander and pick out the skin and bones. (If you have cats, they LOVE the leavings)

2. In a large mixing bowl crumble the smoked salmon, add the picked over canned salmon, onion, green onion and parsley. Mix gently till everything is well mixed.

3. Whisk together eggs, Worcestershire, Tabasco, cream of celery soup and dry mustard. Gently mix into the salmon. If the mix seems too wet, add a cup of bread crumbs and gently mix till well incorporated. Try to leave as much small chunks of salmon as possible, you want the cakes to have plenty of texture.

4. Put the salmon mix in the refrigerator to set up while you get your egg wash and breadcrumb station together. ( you can prepare the salmon mix the day before and save some time)

5. Pre heat a large skillet over medium high heat sprayed with a little pan spray. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil till hot but not smoking..

Form salmon cakes and dip in egg wash and then in bread crumbs and brown in hot skillet till golden on each side. Put cakes on a half sheet pan and finish in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Your salmon cakes should come out nice and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 09:45:55 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Lucille wrote:
>>
>> My mother use to make salmon pie. She bought a can of red salmon and removed the bones. She mixed in mashed potatoes, finely chopped onions and other spices? Used a top and bottom pie crust. That was really good.

>Good for your mom to remove the bones! :-) :-D
>
>I bought a can of salmon once about 40 years ago and prepared it like
>tuna salad sandwiches. The bones freaked me out. Why in the world
>would they leave the bones and cook them right in? Totally disgusting
>to me. Not even dog food quality meat. That was my first experience
>with salmon and it ruined me on it for years.
>
>Then about 10 years ago, I bought some fresh salmon steaks (fresh and
>no bones) and I absolutely loved it.
>
>Still no salmon since but I will buy it fresh again. I will NEVER buy
>that canned crap again.

My ex used have this waiting for dinner and sometimes with canned
salmon:
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/715m99ip...casserole.html
That's only one reason she's my ex.