Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you eat with salmon?

On 2017-11-18 10:43 AM, casa chevrolet wrote:
> On 11/18/2017 10:24 AM, graham wrote:

>>> And also youtube to the rescue!
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LqWmcvIjNY
>>>
>>> The dual sheet method is largely foolproof should your origami skills
>>> be lacking.
>>>
>>> Btw - all 4 seasons of "The F Word" (UK) are seriously worth torrenting.

>> Where you see Ramsey in a happier mood without all the Fox Channel drama.

> Precisely, and you get the benefit of being introduced to guests such as
> Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.
>
> His "River Cottage" series is another "must see tv" program.
>
> https://www.rivercottage.net/about
>
> https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes
>
> Ch. 4 rocks.

I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plating Food (WAS: What do you eat with salmon?)

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:35:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> Me, I have time, some don't.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>>I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>>cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>>take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>>"presentation".
>>
>>I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>>don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>>whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.
>>
>>Jill

>Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
>what a food stylist does.
>Janet US

A decent presentation does not require garnish.
Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls and place the food in
neatly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 11:26 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-11-18 10:43 AM, casa chevrolet wrote:

>>> Where you see Ramsey in a happier mood without all the Fox Channel
>>> drama.

>> Precisely, and you get the benefit of being introduced to guests such
>> as Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.
>>
>> His "River Cottage" series is another "must see tv" program.
>>
>> https://www.rivercottage.net/about
>>
>> https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes
>>
>> Ch. 4 rocks.

> I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
> couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
> doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.
> Graham

I've seen that episode also.

No, we're a bit squeamish here on such things.

One look at "Jaimie's Fowl Dinners" some years back was all it took to
put me over to free range chicken and eggs only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdehP9QLL8
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:26:20 -0700, graham > wrote:

>I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
>couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
>doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.

If that kind of stuff was shown more often, there would be a lot more
vegetarians. You have to be some sort of sociopath to accept how
animals are treated in the industry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:45:06 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>>>That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
>>>and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
>>>stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
>>>really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
>>>instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.
>>>

>>>Cheri
>>>

>> I understand exactly what you mean.
>> Janet US

>Thank you, I knew you did. Who knew that a few of us saying we like
>different colors and our *go with* suggestions for salmon on the plate would
>cause such controversy.

Who knew that posting ingredients of food items would cause such
controversy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 1:24 PM, wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Me, I have time, some don't.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>> cooked.

> Takes UNDER FIVE SECONDS to snap a pic. The difficult part is to
> remember before you finish eating... I often forget too...
> occasionally I've posted a pic of the left overs the next day and just
> don't say.
>
>> I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>> take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>> "presentation".
>>
>> I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>> don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>> whatever. I'm cooking for myself.
>> No need to garnish the plate.

> True... just place your wine glass in the pic. lol
> I don't usually garnish for rfc pics, only time I garnish is for
> company, and not always. However it's not all that difficult to
> arrange food attractively rather than toss it on a plate haphazardly.

Agreed about that. Still, I don't "arrange" it.

> Jill, don't you have a box of those oriental paper umbrellas, you
> must... that's garnish aplenty... and they're reusable unless it's an
> outdoor event and it rains.

Oriental paper umbrellas?! Why on earth would I have those?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:26:34 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:02:41 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
>>> what a food stylist does.
>>> Janet US

>>That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
>>and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
>>stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
>>really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
>>instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.
>>

>>Cheri
>>

>I understand exactly what you mean.
>Janet US

So what all yoose are saying is BH&G is wasting a lot of money on
photography.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>>>That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
>>>and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
>>>stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
>>>really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
>>>instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.
>>>

>>>Cheri
>>>

>> I understand exactly what you mean.
>> Janet US

>Thank you, I knew you did. Who knew that a few of us saying we like
>different colors and our *go with* suggestions for salmon on the plate would
>cause such controversy.
>
>Cheri

Dunno. It is a cooking group after all.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:44:34 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>
>> I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>> don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>> whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.

> Most of the year, I have fresh herbs in the garden. I use them during
>cooking, chopped in raw salads, and as an edible plate garnish (parsley
>on rice, mint on new potatoes, chopped chives in and on an omelette
>etc), even if I'm only cooking for one. With fish or avocado or anything
>else I fancy a squeeze of lemon juice on, I put a wedge of lemon on
>each plate. We always have lemons in the house.
>
> I like the taste and want the food to look good on the plate.
>
> Janet UK

We like our food to look appetizing too. And we always have fresh
fruit and vegetables... right now I have lemons, limes, and oranges in
the fridge, two kinds of apples as well. I may not always have fresh
herbs during winter but there are always celery leaves and bits of
various lettuce leaves, Ieven have a large bok choy that can offer
lovely garnishing... can always carve a bit of tomato into a flower...
even a lowly potato can be pared into a strip and formed into a rose,
so can carrot parings.. a bit of carrot can be carved into all sorts
of garnishes only limited by ones imagination. Anyone who fancies
thamself a cook has to own a set of ganishing tools. I will always
remember Martin Yan demonstarting how to make sunflowers from celery
and banana peels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 11:39 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:26:20 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
>> couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
>> doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.

> If that kind of stuff was shown more often, there would be a lot more
> vegetarians. You have to be some sort of sociopath to accept how
> animals are treated in the industry.

Mistreatment of animals is NOT a reason to be a Vegan.

But it is endemic to factory finished foodstuffs and must be ended.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 11:41 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:45:06 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> I understand exactly what you mean.
>>> Janet US

>> Thank you, I knew you did. Who knew that a few of us saying we like
>> different colors and our *go with* suggestions for salmon on the plate would
>> cause such controversy.

> Who knew that posting ingredients of food items would cause such
> controversy.

You did.

Which is why you trolled it.

Do you think your games playing is opaque to others here?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:28:39 -0500, wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:35:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>>>cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>>>take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>>>"presentation".
>>>
>>>I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>>>don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>>>whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
>>what a food stylist does.
>>Janet US

>A decent presentation does not require garnish.
>Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls and place the food in
>neatly.

Golly, gee, Sheldon, we aren't talking about "garnish." Garnish is
frowned upon even by chefs. What you put on the plate must and should
be able to be eaten.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 12:12 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:28:39 -0500, wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:35:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>>> Presentation is probably a better word. To me, plating verges on
>>> what a food stylist does.
>>> Janet US

>> A decent presentation does not require garnish.
>> Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls and place the food in
>> neatly.

> Golly, gee, Sheldon, we aren't talking about "garnish." Garnish is
> frowned upon even by chefs. What you put on the plate must and should
> be able to be eaten.
> Janet US

Hence - orchids!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:38:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 18 Nov 2017 09:55:33a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:12:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat 18 Nov 2017 07:00:00a, graham told us...

>>>No, I haven't, and the only places I seen them for sale were
>>>either online or in cuilinary shops. Our pan sizes are fairly
>>>consistent in the US. I've seen half-sheet size and 8" and 9"
>>>rounds.
>>>
>>>Cutting off rectangles to fit our half-sheets are simple enough,
>>>but cutting numerous round sizes is a bit fiddly.

>> I get the half sheets from King Arthur. I know it is pricey but
>> I don't like the rolls and sometimes it is just easier to order it
>> rather than running here and there looking for what you want.
>> You're right. The order does last a long time -- I've only order
>> twice in my bread baking journey
>> http://tinyurl.com/ya8nbs9e
>> Janet US
>>

>Thanks, Janet. I see that KA also has athe 8 ad 9 inch rounds in
>pcks of 48. I might consider that.

My baking is almost totally bread of various shapes. When I do
something else I just cut to shape. When I do brownies or fudge or
something like that I do like the option of having the length of
parchment hanging over the side of the pan to act as handles. It's so
much easier to cut those kind of things on a flat surface.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:26:20 -0700, graham > wrote:

snip
>I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
>couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
>doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.
>Graham

Ugh
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:23:33 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> My baking is almost totally bread of various shapes. When I do
> something else I just cut to shape. When I do brownies or fudge or
> something like that I do like the option of having the length of
> parchment hanging over the side of the pan to act as handles. It's so
> much easier to cut those kind of things on a flat surface.
> Janet US

Parchment paper is great stuff. I made some salami and cheese rolls yesterday in the toaster oven. They were baked on parchment paper and they just slide off the paper. Our toaster oven is small so the second batch was prepared on another piece of parchment while the first was baking. That saved me some time!

I was in Costco the other day and saw a box of canned crescent rolls for less than 5 bucks. That made 40 rolls and it seemed like a very good deal. I saved about 12 bucks by buying it at Costco. OTOH, I typically wouldn't buy 5 cans of crescent rolls so...

Canned rolls seems like kind of a goofy product to me but my daughter made some pretty good treats with the product so I got inspired. My plans are to bake them flat and make cute tuna melts and cinnamon coated cookies.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...AZyZpAYPKsYR4D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:26:20 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
> snip
> >I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
> >couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
> >doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.
> >Graham

> Ugh
> Janet US

It's a reality check of the most meaty kind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 1:03 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:26:20 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>> I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
>>> couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
>>> doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.
>>> Graham

>> Ugh
>> Janet US

> It's a reality check of the most meaty kind.

I'll grab me pliers and a catfish!

>-+++(o>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plating Food for pussy

On 11/18/2017 1:28 PM, wrote:
> Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls and place the food in
> neatly.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 1:34 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
> On 11/18/2017 1:28 PM, wrote:
>> Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls andÂ* place the food in
>> neatly.
>>

> Did you ever know that you're my hero?

forged.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 3:38 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
> On 11/18/2017 1:34 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
>> On 11/18/2017 1:28 PM, wrote:
>>> Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls andÂ* place the food in
>>> neatly.
>>>

>> Did you ever know that you're my hero?

> forged.

Yes you did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 19:32:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 18 Nov 2017 12:23:27p, U.S. Janet B. told us...

snip

>It's easy to cut rectangles and squares of parchment on a roll, and
>you do have the advantage of "handles" lift things out. I've got
>plenty of parhment on the roll that I buy from Costco. It's good
>quaity and the huge double roll that I bought shoud last for years.
>
>I've definiely decided to order the 8 and 9 inch circles, however,
>and I would use these for the layer cakes I bake as well as round
>loaves of bread. If I bake brownies or gingerbread, etc., I use a 9
>inch square pan,which is easy enough to rip off the roll and then cut
>to fit (with handles).

Darn. My Costco doesn't carry the parchment paper.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:03:38 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 11:26:20 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>> >I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
>> >couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
>> >doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.
>> >Graham

>> Ugh
>> Janet US

>It's a reality check of the most meaty kind.

I've been around when hunting but never fired the shot. I've cleaned
and butchered deer and elk. But for some reason the abattoir process
gets to me.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
> cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
> take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
> "presentation".
>
> I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
> don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
> whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.

Today's lunch: Double patty melt on grilled rye - smoked peppered
patties, swiss cheese, grilled shallot and onion, mayo, light ketchup.

https://s7.postimg.org/tumt45egb/Patty_Melt.jpg

Pretty much no color, no garnish, and no forethought - just pure food
and took an extra 5.5 seconds. No dancing unicorns and pink elephants
in the background for Gary - just a ridiculously oversize bottle of
Pantoprazole.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:23:33 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> My baking is almost totally bread of various shapes. When I do
> something else I just cut to shape. When I do brownies or fudge or
> something like that I do like the option of having the length of
> parchment hanging over the side of the pan to act as handles. It's so
> much easier to cut those kind of things on a flat surface.
> Janet US

Parchment paper is great stuff. I made some salami and cheese rolls
yesterday in the toaster oven. They were baked on parchment paper and they
just slide off the paper. Our toaster oven is small so the second batch was
prepared on another piece of parchment while the first was baking. That
saved me some time!

I was in Costco the other day and saw a box of canned crescent rolls for
less than 5 bucks. That made 40 rolls and it seemed like a very good deal. I
saved about 12 bucks by buying it at Costco. OTOH, I typically wouldn't buy
5 cans of crescent rolls so...

Canned rolls seems like kind of a goofy product to me but my daughter made
some pretty good treats with the product so I got inspired. My plans are to
bake them flat and make cute tuna melts and cinnamon coated cookies.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...AZyZpAYPKsYR4D

==

Whoa... that looks scrumptious)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 1:46 PM, wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:26:34 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:02:41 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about different colors
>>> and not just having food slopped on the plate willy nilly. I don't do food
>>> stylist, and I really don't do pics except occasionally. Actually pictures
>>> really mean nothing since it's impossible to tell what it tastes like, for
>>> instance a pork chop could be as tough as an old boot and still look good.
>>>

>>> Cheri
>>>

>> I understand exactly what you mean.
>> Janet US

> So what all yoose are saying is BH&G is wasting a lot of money on
> photography.

Uh... we're saying we don't care about BH&G (Better Homes & Gardens)
photography. We cook and eat, we don't worry about taking pictures of food.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WAS What do you eat with salmon? NOW defrost your Turkey!

Gary wrote:

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> David and I have had virtually the same Thanksgiving meal for nearly
>>> 25 years. We rarely have it for more than just the two of us, but it
>>> doesn't stop me from making a variety foods. Yesterday we did all of
>>> our shopping for everything except the last minute perishables.
>>>
>>> Roast turkey breast (for David)
>>> Roast chicken (for me)
>>> Baked cornbread dressing
>>> Gravy
>>> Mashed potatoes
>>> Candied sweet potatoes
>>> Sautéed green beans with slivered garlic and cracked peppercorns
>>> Fresh green peas in a sour cream sauce
>>> Homemade whole cranberry sauce
>>> Jellied cranberry sauce
>>> Relish tray
>>> Fresh baked cloverleaf rolls
>>> Pumpkin pie
>>> Pecan Pie

>>Good grief. Wayne won't see my reply but I just have to say...
>>When it comes to Thanksgiving dinner menu.... Wayne wins! :-D

Truth be known only thing Lil LYING POS Duhwany will enjoy is Lil
Davida's unwashed pee pee cheese.

Most of yoose (fakes) will be enjoying holiday tubesteak... yoose FEW
honest folk don't forget to move your frozen bird to the fridge
tonight, will need minimally five days to defrost.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:22:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 18 Nov 2017 10:43:20a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> David and I have had virtually the same Thanksgiving meal for
>>> nearly 25 years. We rarely have it for more than just the two of
>>> us, but it doesn't stop me from making a variety foods.
>>> Yesterday we did all of our shopping for everything except the
>>> last minute perishables.
>>>
>>> Roast turkey breast (for David)
>>> Roast chicken (for me)
>>> Baked cornbread dressing
>>> Gravy
>>> Mashed potatoes
>>> Candied sweet potatoes
>>> Sautéed green beans with slivered garlic and cracked peppercorns
>>> Fresh green peas in a sour cream sauce
>>> Homemade whole cranberry sauce
>>> Jellied cranberry sauce
>>> Relish tray
>>> Fresh baked cloverleaf rolls
>>> Pumpkin pie
>>> Pecan Pie

>> Good grief. Wayne won't see my reply but I just have to say...
>> When it comes to Thanksgiving dinner menu.... Wayne wins! :-D
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Perhaps he will now I don't like to see nice comments wasted

>Thank you both! I've been cooking Thanksgiving meals like this since
>my great grandmoher's time. Typical of the South, there was always a
>tableful of dishes to choose from. Ours is just scaled down in size,
>as there were usually 15-20 people at her dinners.

LIAR!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 15:34:27 -0500, casa chevrolet >
wrote:

>On 11/18/2017 1:28 PM, wrote:
>> Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls and place the food in
>> neatly.
>>

>Did you ever know that you're my hero?

You can lick my pussy anytime. yumyumyumyumy. . ..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 9:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Do you know what I got at Fred Meyers? A few cans of P$$$t green beans
> labeled assorted cuts. Those things were anything but organized, let me
> tell ya. They should have formed a union years ago. Seriously. Long
> ones, short cuts but thankfully no French. They were darned hard to eat.
> I took my kitchen shears to the last can, trying to make them all small
> and added them to soup. At least they were cheap!

Will there ever come a time when you don't complain about something?
"Darned hard to eat". That gets old.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 18:22:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 18 Nov 2017 10:43:20a, Ophelia told us...

>>> Good grief. Wayne won't see my reply but I just have to say...
>>> When it comes to Thanksgiving dinner menu.... Wayne wins! :-D
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Perhaps he will now I don't like to see nice comments wasted

>> Thank you both! I've been cooking Thanksgiving meals like this since
>> my great grandmoher's time. Typical of the South, there was always a
>> tableful of dishes to choose from. Ours is just scaled down in size,
>> as there were usually 15-20 people at her dinners.

> LIAR!

Is that crystal palace bottle about empty yet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:13:25 -0700, casa chevrolet >
wrote:

>On 11/18/2017 12:12 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:28:39 -0500, wrote:

>>> A decent presentation does not require garnish.
>>> Even when I feed my cats I use attractive bowls and place the food in
>>> neatly.

>> Golly, gee, Sheldon, we aren't talking about "garnish." Garnish is
>> frowned upon even by chefs. What you put on the plate must and should
>> be able to be eaten.
>> Janet US

>Hence - orchids!

A proper garnish is edible.. aint'cha ever ate the olive from yer 2ni?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:12:45 -0700, casa chevrolet >
wrote:

>On 11/18/2017 12:09 PM, wrote:
>> I will always
>> remember Martin Yan demonstarting how to make sunflowers from celery
>> and banana peels.

>Me too.
>
>But I have never bothered to do it either.
>
>Fussy plate dressing, feh.
>
>Restaurant games.

A golden arches **** face.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:59:19 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>> cooked. I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>> take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>> "presentation".
>>
>> I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>> don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>> whatever. I'm cooking for myself. No need to garnish the plate.

>Today's lunch: Double patty melt on grilled rye - smoked peppered
>patties, swiss cheese, grilled shallot and onion, mayo, light ketchup.
>
>https://s7.postimg.org/tumt45egb/Patty_Melt.jpg
>
>Pretty much no color, no garnish, and no forethought - just pure food
>and took an extra 5.5 seconds. No dancing unicorns and pink elephants
>in the background for Gary - just a ridiculously oversize bottle of
>Pantoprazole.
>
>-sw

Looks like "fat ****" fare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:02:00 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 9:23:33 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> My baking is almost totally bread of various shapes. When I do
>> something else I just cut to shape. When I do brownies or fudge or
>> something like that I do like the option of having the length of
>> parchment hanging over the side of the pan to act as handles. It's so
>> much easier to cut those kind of things on a flat surface.
>> Janet US

>Parchment paper is great stuff. I made some salami and cheese rolls yesterday in the toaster oven. They were baked on parchment paper and they just slide off the paper. Our toaster oven is small so the second batch was prepared on another piece of parchment while the first was baking. That saved me some time!
>
>I was in Costco the other day and saw a box of canned crescent rolls for less than 5 bucks. That made 40 rolls and it seemed like a very good deal. I saved about 12 bucks by buying it at Costco. OTOH, I typically wouldn't buy 5 cans of crescent rolls so...
>
>Canned rolls seems like kind of a goofy product to me but my daughter made some pretty good treats with the product so I got inspired. My plans are to bake them flat and make cute tuna melts and cinnamon coated cookies.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...AZyZpAYPKsYR4D

that looks good
Have you already checked the Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Recipes web
sites?
https://www.pillsbury.com/products/crescents
Janet US