Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 7:38:03 PM UTC-10, Cheryl wrote:
> dsi1 > Wrote in message:
> >>

> > My guess is that in the future, the sandwiches made with real cheese
> > will be popular. American cheese is a food from the depression era. It's
> > cheaper and keeps longer and highly transportable.

> You live in the future too much dude. Lol

Mostly, I don't live in the past. LOL.

> > I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches from American cheese most times,
> > regular cheese if I have to. It's surprising that we're still eating
> > this depression cheese. My guess is it's because real cheese gets kinda
> > gross when melted. Hee hee, just my opinion.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY
> >

> Looks good but WAY too much work. IMO

It is way too much work. That's the Alton way.

> --
>

> ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
> http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 9:04:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> Colby has melting qualities that make it good for a grilled cheese
> >> sandwich, but it is way too bland. You have to add some aged cheddar to
> >> give it umph.

> >> I am sure it would be good, but Alton is way too anal for me. I cook for
> >> fun and he seems to think there is only one way to do things and they
> >> have to be precise.
> >>

> > I like the idea of adding mustard, paprika, and black pepper, to the
> > cheese. The part where he was dumping that oily mess on the bread was so
> > disgusting that they had to edit that part out. Hee hee.

> I buy jars of sundried tomato antipasti and I like to put those in my
> cheese.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I have never heard of this stuff but it sounds like good eats. I will look for it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 9:04:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > I like the idea of adding mustard, paprika, and black pepper, to the
>> > cheese. The part where he was dumping that oily mess on the bread was
>> > so
>> > disgusting that they had to edit that part out. Hee hee.

>> I buy jars of sundried tomato antipasti and I like to put those in my
>> cheese.
>>

> I have never heard of this stuff but it sounds like good eats. I will look
> for it!

Yes, they are very good. The sundried tomatoes come in a jar marinated in
oil, garlic and oregano.

I chopped some up today to toss in a salad and I love the flavour is so
good, I could eat them right out of the jar))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 6:59:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I buy jars of sundried tomato antipasti and I like to put those in my
> >> cheese.
> >>

> > I have never heard of this stuff but it sounds like good eats. I will look
> > for it!

> Yes, they are very good. The sundried tomatoes come in a jar marinated in
> oil, garlic and oregano.
>
> I chopped some up today to toss in a salad and I love the flavour is so
> good, I could eat them right out of the jar))
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

You had me at "Yes."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 6:59:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > I have never heard of this stuff but it sounds like good eats. I will
>> > look
>> > for it!

>> Yes, they are very good. The sundried tomatoes come in a jar marinated
>> in
>> oil, garlic and oregano.
>>
>> I chopped some up today to toss in a salad and I love the flavour is so
>> good, I could eat them right out of the jar))
>>

> You had me at "Yes."

This evening I made a 'grilled' cheese sandwich as per instructions here
and it was very good! It wasn't greasy either, so that is another option!
I put some chutney in it with sliced cheese and although I used only one
slice (my own bread though) Poppy had to help me finish it)))

(Poppy is my dog) ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2016 12:59 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 21:54:09 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> On 2016-06-06 6:39 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I used thin slices of Cheddar.

>> It's all the same once it melts!

> All cheeses taste the same if they are melted?

Kuthe just proves again he doesn't know a thing about cooking... or cheeses.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 4:08:53 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 6/7/2016 12:59 AM, Je�us wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 21:54:09 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> >> It's all the same once it melts!

> > All cheeses taste the same if they are melted?
> >

> Kuthe just proves again he doesn't know a thing about cooking... or cheeses.
>
> Jill

Bullshit! Whether cheddar cheese is grated or applied in thin slices hardly matters at all! It's all gonna get all melty on this dish!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 07:30:38 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 11:59:59 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 21:54:09 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>> >It's all the same once it melts!

>> All cheeses taste the same if they are melted?

>I was talking about the physical structure, not the flavor.

Fairy nuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:00:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message

> >> Yes, they are very good. The sundried tomatoes come in a jar marinated
> >> in
> >> oil, garlic and oregano.
> >>
> >> I chopped some up today to toss in a salad and I love the flavour is so
> >> good, I could eat them right out of the jar))
> >>

> > You had me at "Yes."

> This evening I made a 'grilled' cheese sandwich as per instructions here
> and it was very good! It wasn't greasy either, so that is another option!
> I put some chutney in it with sliced cheese and although I used only one
> slice (my own bread though) Poppy had to help me finish it)))
>
> (Poppy is my dog) ;-)
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're eating American! Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:00:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > You had me at "Yes."

>> This evening I made a 'grilled' cheese sandwich as per instructions
>> here
>> and it was very good! It wasn't greasy either, so that is another
>> option!
>> I put some chutney in it with sliced cheese and although I used only one
>> slice (my own bread though) Poppy had to help me finish it)))
>>
>> (Poppy is my dog) ;-)
>>

> Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones
> more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're
> eating American! Hee hee.

Ackkkkkkkkkkkkk Should I be afraid??? ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 3:34:17 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:00:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > You had me at "Yes."

> > This evening I made a 'grilled' cheese sandwich as per instructions here
> > and it was very good! It wasn't greasy either, so that is another option!
> > I put some chutney in it with sliced cheese and although I used only one
> > slice (my own bread though) Poppy had to help me finish it)))
> >
> > (Poppy is my dog) ;-)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're eating American! Hee hee.

Adding cilantro chutney (or mint-cilantro chutney) to a lime vinaigrette
is very tasty. No fruit involved.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>Adding cilantro chutney (or mint-cilantro chutney) to a lime vinaigrette
>is very tasty. No fruit involved.

For me cilantro is like eating soap. I don't like mint because, well
it tastes like mint. Lime and fresh dillweed works for me... as does
fresh squeezed lemon and bulb fennel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 3:34:17 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're eating American! Hee hee.

Chutney originated in India

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 03:58:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> Adding cilantro chutney (or mint-cilantro chutney) to a lime vinaigrette
> is very tasty. No fruit involved.

I don't know what ingredients were involved in the basic vinaigrette,
but a really tasty cilantro vinaigrette came with the (Thai) Beef
Salad that I ordered for lunch yesterday. I will try a couple recipes
and see how it goes at home. Maybe it was stupid easy, maybe it had a
secret ingredient - whatever it was, I liked it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:48:45 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >Adding cilantro chutney (or mint-cilantro chutney) to a lime vinaigrette
> >is very tasty. No fruit involved.

> For me cilantro is like eating soap. I don't like mint because, well
> it tastes like mint. Lime and fresh dillweed works for me... as does
> fresh squeezed lemon and bulb fennel.

I don't like fennel bulb because it tastes like licorice. You can have
all my fennel, and I'll take all your cilantro and mint.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:48:45 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> >Adding cilantro chutney (or mint-cilantro chutney) to a lime vinaigrette
>> >is very tasty. No fruit involved.

>> For me cilantro is like eating soap. I don't like mint because, well
>> it tastes like mint. Lime and fresh dillweed works for me... as does
>> fresh squeezed lemon and bulb fennel.

> I don't like fennel bulb because it tastes like licorice. You can have
> all my fennel, and I'll take all your cilantro and mint.

He can take my fennel and cilantro and I will take the mint!

For me, fennel tastes like liquorice and cilantro tastes like soap

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 06:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:48:45 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> >Adding cilantro chutney (or mint-cilantro chutney) to a lime vinaigrette
>> >is very tasty. No fruit involved.

>> For me cilantro is like eating soap. I don't like mint because, well
>> it tastes like mint. Lime and fresh dillweed works for me... as does
>> fresh squeezed lemon and bulb fennel.

>I don't like fennel bulb because it tastes like licorice. You can have
>all my fennel, and I'll take all your cilantro and mint.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

A deal! I love licorice, getting more difficult to find black
licorice Twizzlers... not easy to find licorice cough drops either.
Another favorite flavor were Cocillana cough drops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:59:21 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi> wrote in message

> >> This evening I made a 'grilled' cheese sandwich as per instructions
> >> here
> >> and it was very good! It wasn't greasy either, so that is another
> >> option!
> >> I put some chutney in it with sliced cheese and although I used only one
> >> slice (my own bread though) Poppy had to help me finish it)))
> >>
> >> (Poppy is my dog) ;-)
> >>

> > Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones
> > more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're
> > eating American! Hee hee.

> Ackkkkkkkkkkkkk Should I be afraid??? ;-)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Yeah - a little.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 12:58:13 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 3:34:17 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > This evening I made a 'grilled' cheese sandwich as per instructions here
> > > and it was very good! It wasn't greasy either, so that is another option!
> > > I put some chutney in it with sliced cheese and although I used only one
> > > slice (my own bread though) Poppy had to help me finish it)))
> > >
> > > (Poppy is my dog) ;-)
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> > Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're eating American! Hee hee.

> Adding cilantro chutney (or mint-cilantro chutney) to a lime vinaigrette
> is very tasty. No fruit involved.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The does sound tasty even though I don't usually eat cilantro. I'm beginning to build up a tolerance to the stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 2:25:56 AM UTC-10, Helpful person wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 3:34:17 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're eating American! Hee hee.

> Chutney originated in India
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

I was talking about the grilled cheese sandwich. I don't know where this sandwich originated but it's as American as NY pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:59:21 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Chutney sounds great. I made a great chutney once and a lot of bad ones
>> > more than once. It all comes down to having a great fruit. Now you're
>> > eating American! Hee hee.

>> Ackkkkkkkkkkkkk Should I be afraid??? ;-)
>>

> Yeah - a little.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 06:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> For me cilantro is like eating soap. I don't like mint because, well
>>> it tastes like mint. Lime and fresh dillweed works for me... as does
>>> fresh squeezed lemon and bulb fennel.

>>I don't like fennel bulb because it tastes like licorice. You can have
>>all my fennel, and I'll take all your cilantro and mint.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

> A deal! I love licorice, getting more difficult to find black
> licorice Twizzlers... not easy to find licorice cough drops either.
> Another favorite flavor were Cocillana cough drops.

If you have a Dollar Store or a .99 cent store near you, there are always
licorice twizzlers in many flavors.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 10:12:15 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 06:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>>I don't like fennel bulb because it tastes like licorice. You can have
>>>all my fennel, and I'll take all your cilantro and mint.
>>>
>>>Cindy Hamilton

>> A deal! I love licorice, getting more difficult to find black
>> licorice Twizzlers... not easy to find licorice cough drops either.
>> Another favorite flavor were Cocillana cough drops.

>If you have a Dollar Store or a .99 cent store near you, there are always
>licorice twizzlers in many flavors.
>
>Cheri

But no black, and I detest all those circus cotton candy flavors.
Amazon sells licorice Twizzlers... licorice is black, not chartruese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 1:45:11 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> But no black, and I detest all those circus cotton candy flavors.
> Amazon sells licorice Twizzlers... licorice is black, not chartruese.

You may want to try these:

http://britishfooddepot.com/haribo-p...FUk6gQodKyYIdA

If they are real Pontefract cakes they will be excellent. (Pontefract is a town in Yorkshire.)

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-06-08 12:38 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> I don't like fennel bulb because it tastes like licorice. You can have
>> all my fennel, and I'll take all your cilantro and mint.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> A deal! I love licorice, getting more difficult to find black
> licorice Twizzlers... not easy to find licorice cough drops either.
> Another favorite flavor were Cocillana cough drops.

If you like licorice you should search out a Dutch store. They usually
carry a wide variety of licorice. I don't recommend the heavily salted
stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 10:12:15 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 06:19:09 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> A deal! I love licorice, getting more difficult to find black
>>> licorice Twizzlers... not easy to find licorice cough drops either.
>>> Another favorite flavor were Cocillana cough drops.

>>If you have a Dollar Store or a .99 cent store near you, there are always
>>licorice twizzlers in many flavors.
>>
>>Cheri

> But no black, and I detest all those circus cotton candy flavors.
> Amazon sells licorice Twizzlers... licorice is black, not chartruese.

There's always black where I am, in both stores.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:09:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
> >
> > Yeah - a little.

> lol
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Using mayo also allows you to flavor the grilled cheese sandwich. I made one with Sriracha mayo. This opens up a world of flavors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 7:09:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Yeah - a little.

>> lol
>>

> Using mayo also allows you to flavor the grilled cheese sandwich. I made
> one with Sriracha mayo. This opens up a world of flavors.

I might like one with garlic but never with spicy stuff. I like mayo as it
is

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Most licorice candy is anise flavored.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 16:53:38 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 10:12:15 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>If you have a Dollar Store or a .99 cent store near you, there are always
>>>licorice twizzlers in many flavors.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> But no black, and I detest all those circus cotton candy flavors.
>> Amazon sells licorice Twizzlers... licorice is black, not chartruese.

>There's always black where I am, in both stores.

Not around here, Walmart has it, but not always.
Amazon has it all the time but they are pricey, Walmart's price is
$2.08/lb.
http://www.walmart.com/search/?query...ers%20licorice
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...wizzlers+black

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You can grow your own anise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 04:50:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> Most licorice candy is anise flavored.

You'll never convince them.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 8:58:25 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Looks good!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY
>
> Jill

You can buy real licorice capsules but they make some peoples blood pressure go up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Licorice was Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

IMO, Valomilk cups weren't as good as those small cupcake-shaped milk
chocolate cups with marshmallow filling. They had zig-zag sides, were about
half (horizontally) the height of a regular cupcake, and came individually
packaged in clear cellophane wrappers. Even my old-time candy source
can't tell me what the name of them was. ;-((

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> IMO, Valomilk cups weren't as good as those small cupcake-shaped milk
> chocolate cups with marshmallow filling. They had zig-zag sides, were
> about
> half (horizontally) the height of a regular cupcake, and came individually
> packaged in clear cellophane wrappers. Even my old-time candy source
> can't tell me what the name of them was. ;-((
>
> N.

Sounds like Mallow Cups.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri, not Mallow Cups. They were packaged in individual clear cellophane with the
label, what there was of it, like a sticker on the bottom. The entire wrap was clear
cellophane. (They were shaped like today's Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, only a
little thicker.) The consistency of the filling was like the peanut butter filling...not runny
at all.

Man, I wish they were still made. But I asked at Groovy Candies, and they didn't know
either. I used to buy one a couple times a week, at a locally-owned small drugstore a
block away from my junior high. Ah, good times. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message

Cheri, not Mallow Cups. They were packaged in individual clear cellophane with
the
label, what there was of it, like a sticker on the bottom. The entire wrap was
clear
cellophane. (They were shaped like today's Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, only a
little thicker.) The consistency of the filling was like the peanut butter
filling...not runny
at all.

Man, I wish they were still made. But I asked at Groovy Candies, and they
didn't know
either. I used to buy one a couple times a week, at a locally-owned small
drugstore a
block away from my junior high. Ah, good times. ;-))

N.

====

Hmmm, I'm not coming up with anything either. I hate when they stop selling
things fondly remembered.

Cheri