Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Grilled cheese sandwich

How do you make yours?

2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
Butter one side only of each slice.
Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

My favorite is:
- 2 slices white bread, buttered on one side
- american cheese slice inside and tomato slices with salt/pepper
- sometimes add a slice of thin lunchmeat but not always
- fry until semi-dark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 9:31*am, (z z) wrote:
> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

Whole wheat bread buttered on one side of each slice.
sharp cheddar cheese
several slices of pepperoncini's
sometimes a little yellow mustard
sometimes some sliced tomatoes.
Grill till lightly browned.
Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 1:02*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Nov 26, 9:31*am, (z z) wrote:
>
> > How do you make yours?

> > 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> > Butter one side only of each slice.
> > Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> > Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> > Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

> Whole wheat bread buttered on one side of each slice.
> sharp cheddar cheese
> several slices of pepperoncini's
> sometimes a little yellow mustard
> sometimes some sliced tomatoes.
> Grill till lightly browned.
> Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!

Whole grain bread with flax, 2 slices
Old cheddar cheese, enough for a good sandwich
sliced thinly tomato
sliced thinly sweet onion, not too much
grill in pan with butter
flip
grill on other side until a good crust, and cheese melted
a little hot sauce on the plate for dipping a little bit, not too much
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 1:20*pm, A Moose in Love >
wrote:
> On Nov 26, 1:02*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 26, 9:31*am, (z z) wrote:

> > > How do you make yours?

> > > 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> > > Butter one side only of each slice.
> > > Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> > > Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> > > Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

> > Whole wheat bread buttered on one side of each slice.
> > sharp cheddar cheese
> > several slices of pepperoncini's
> > sometimes a little yellow mustard
> > sometimes some sliced tomatoes.
> > Grill till lightly browned.
> > Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!

> Whole grain bread with flax, 2 slices
> Old cheddar cheese, enough for a good sandwich
> sliced thinly tomato
> sliced thinly sweet onion, not too much
> grill in pan with butter
> flip
> grill on other side until a good crust, and cheese melted
> a little hot sauce on the plate for dipping a little bit, not too much- Hide quoted text -

Butter on one side of 2 slices of white bread.
Sprinkle some powered garlic on the unbuttered side.
Put 2 slices of either American cheese or cheddar cheese.
Pan fry it on both sides and use a press thing on it to skwish it
down.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:

> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.

Whoa! There's my problem. I've always
done it metaphorically.

> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:32:52 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>z z wrote:
>>
>> How do you make yours?
>>
>> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
>> Butter one side only of each slice.
>> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.

>Whoa! There's my problem. I've always
>done it metaphorically.
>
>> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
>> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

This makes the best toasted sammies... and definitely makes the best
toasted cheese sammie:
http://mjskitchen.com/2011/06/toas-tite/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 2:06*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:32:52 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >z z wrote:

> >> How do you make yours?

> >> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> >> Butter one side only of each slice.
> >> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.

> >Whoa! *There's my problem. *I've always
> >done it metaphorically.

> >> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> >> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

> This makes the best toasted sammies... and definitely makes the best
> toasted cheese sammie:http://mjskitchen.com/2011/06/toas-tite/

and you can still get them.
http://toastite.biz/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:
> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt
> :-)

I make too many and buttering them requires too much care with soft
white bread, so:

1. Put olive oil and butter in pan on medium heat, replenishing as
needed:

2. Two slices of white bread, extra sharp cheddar in the middle, plus a
little garlic powder and a little black pepper.

3. Cook on both sides until golden brown or a bit more - cheese will be
melted by then.

Optional: deli ham or tuna salad between the slices along with the
cheese - IMHO, if it's got more than cheese in the middle, it's no
longer a grilled cheese sandwich, it's a grilled <whatever else you've
got in there> and cheese sandwich, e.g., a grilled ham and cheese, or a
grilled egg and cheese.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

What a fun website-it brought back memories from camping trips in the
60's. They sell many versions of those "irons in the fire" in camping
stores today. I haven't given it much thought, but it would be fun to
try those Pillsbury rolled-up pie crusts in one.

We had very limited food imaginations in the 60's-I bet there are all
sorts of imaginative recipes today. The Food Network should have an Iron
Man Irons in the Fire special :-)

As for french toast grilled cheese, I think I have already seen a recipe
where you make a grilled sandwich, then dip it in the egg mixture, and
re-fry the entire thing.

I would suggest filling your grilled cheese sandwich with a bit of cream
cheese and fruit inside, then egg dip and fry the sandwich, and serve
with syrup. Yum-I would order that from the menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2011 02:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> This makes the best toasted sammies... and definitely makes the best
> toasted cheese sammie:
> http://mjskitchen.com/2011/06/toas-tite/

Oh, man, I was just talking about those things the other day. When I was
a little kid, we made those all the time! I'll have to get my mom to
give me her press so I can make them for the blog. Too fun.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

Mine never come out right. I think maybe because I put too much cheese in
them.

I am not picky about the cheese. I like any kind or a mix of cheese. I
also like strips of bell pepper, onion and a slice of tomato in there.
Rather than grill them, I toast the bread, butter each side then make the
sandwich, wrap in foil and bake it in the oven until the cheese melts. I
also vary the bread. Could be sourdough, rye or even white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z > wrote:

>How do you make yours?

>2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
>Butter one side only of each slice.
>Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
>Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
>Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

My default is whole-wheat bread, cheddar cheese cooked in olive oil.
(I'm not gonna say fried, and I'm not gonna say sauteed, I'm just
saying "cooked".)

The next most likely addition for me is an Anaheim-typed chile.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

>My favorite is:
>- 2 slices white bread, buttered on one
> side
>- american cheese slice inside and
> tomato slices with salt/pepper
>- sometimes add a slice of thin
> lunchmeat but not always
>- fry until semi-dark

My grandchildren always tell me I make the "best grilled cheese
sandwiches in the world" (LOL). I just use white bread with a slice of
cheese (their favorite is Pepper Jack, but if I don't have it, used
sharp Cheddar, and I put a piece of baloney (or boiled ham luncheon
meat) between the two slices of cheese, butter the outside of both bread
slices and fry on each side until deep golden brown and the cheese is
soft and "oozy". Simple as 1, 2, 3!

I tell them it the "grandma touch of love" that makes it so good! :-)

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:49:11 -0500, "Steve Freides" > wrote:

> IMHO, if it's got more than cheese in the middle, it's no
>longer a grilled cheese sandwich, it's a grilled <whatever else you've
>got in there> and cheese sandwich, e.g., a grilled ham and cheese, or a
>grilled egg and cheese.

This +1.

I make my grilled cheese sandwiches with soft wheat bread, American cheese (not
cheese product, etc.) for its meltability, and another layer of a more flavorful
cheese grated, such as an overjarige Gouda, perhaps with a sprinling of parmesan
or other Italian grating cheese. I use clarified butter on the exterior
surfaces.

And -- most importantly -- finely ground black pepper, which really enhances the
overall flavor.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

z z wrote:
> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

Make mine white rye, toasted, and the hot toast rubbed with a cut garlic
clove before buttering, then layer the cheese sprinkle with crushed
dried oregano and fry briefly in a bit of butter till the cheddar
cheese starts to melt.

Occasionally i use a swiss cheese and deli sliced ham or chicken to
layer with the cheese and then nuke for a minute or so, serve with a
knife and fork
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> This makes the best toasted sammies... and definitely makes the best
> toasted cheese sammie:
> http://mjskitchen.com/2011/06/toas-tite/

I have a similar gadget from France that makes
two rectangular ones at a time and impresses
a figure of a scallop shell on each surface.
I used it for a while, then lost interest.

While I was using it, I liked to use canned
cream of mushroom soup as a filling. That's
not a bad filling, but you have to be careful
when eating it to avoid squirting out molten
hot filling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:49:11 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> IMHO, if it's got more than cheese in the middle, it's no
>> longer a grilled cheese sandwich, it's a grilled <whatever else
>> you've got in there> and cheese sandwich, e.g., a grilled ham and
>> cheese, or a grilled egg and cheese.

> This +1.
>
> I make my grilled cheese sandwiches with soft wheat bread, American
> cheese (not cheese product, etc.) for its meltability, and another
> layer of a more flavorful cheese grated, such as an overjarige Gouda,
> perhaps with a sprinling of parmesan or other Italian grating cheese.
> I use clarified butter on the exterior surfaces.

The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
"processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every other
actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like American
cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more than it is.

> And -- most importantly -- finely ground black pepper, which really
> enhances the overall flavor.

Agree completely on this point. For us, it's fresh ground black pepper
but also a little garlic powder. It seems no one notices these two
ingredients, they just think the grilled cheese tastes good, and that
seems right to me.

We do the same for what we call cheese toast here, which is an
open-faced cheese melt we make in the toaster over - cheese on bread,
light sprinkling of both garlic powder and black pepper, and bake on a
high heat for a few minutes or broil.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

>> This makes the best toasted sammies... and definitely makes the best
>> toasted cheese sammie:http://mjskitchen.com/2011/06/toas-tite/

> and you can still get them.
> http://toastite.biz/

Plenty of them on ebay as well.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

I use bread that has texture. If the bread has no texture I'd just use a
panini press.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:35:33 -0500, "Steve Freides" >

>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:49:11 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO, if it's got more than cheese in the middle, it's no
>>> longer a grilled cheese sandwich, it's a grilled <whatever else
>>> you've got in there> and cheese sandwich, e.g., a grilled ham and
>>> cheese, or a grilled egg and cheese.

>> This +1.
>>
>> I make my grilled cheese sandwiches with soft wheat bread, American
>> cheese (not cheese product, etc.) for its meltability, and another
>> layer of a more flavorful cheese grated, such as an overjarige Gouda,
>> perhaps with a sprinling of parmesan or other Italian grating cheese.
>> I use clarified butter on the exterior surfaces.

>The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
>"processed cheese product".

Show us. That doesn't mean it's fake... it's real cheese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta
Velveeta is a dairy product, it's real cheese just like real American
cheese... it's processed in that it's a pasteurized cheese. A
"processed cheese product" refers to those cheese-like products made
primarilly from vegetable oil, not dairy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:40:09 -0800, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

>z z wrote:
>> How do you make yours?
>>
>> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
>> Butter one side only of each slice.
>> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
>> Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
>> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)
>>

>Make mine white rye, toasted, and the hot toast rubbed with a cut garlic
>clove before buttering, then layer the cheese sprinkle with crushed
>dried oregano and fry briefly in a bit of butter till the cheddar
>cheese starts to melt.
>Occasionally i use a swiss cheese and deli sliced ham or chicken to
>layer with the cheese and then nuke for a minute or so, serve with a
>knife and fork

Yet another keyboard kook who just makes it up as circumstance
dictates... this horse barn mucker has never cooked anything.
Esquire derives from a Knight's attendant; curried his steed, mucked
the steeds shit, kissed the Knight's ass and sucked his dick...
Esquire is synonymous with Toady and Sychophant... even named a shoe
polish after the friggin' Bootlick.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B33-Vintage-...em43aa69 5153
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:35:33 -0500, "Steve Freides" > wrote:

>> I make my grilled cheese sandwiches with soft wheat bread, American
>> cheese (not cheese product, etc.) for its meltability....

>The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
>"processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every other
>actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like American
>cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more than it is.

The Wiki is using the word "product" as a general term, and it should not, in
this context. In the US, there is a legal distinction by the FDA (Food and Drug
Administration) encoded in the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations)."

CFR Title 21, Article 133:
"In case it is made of cheddar cheese, washed curd cheese, colby cheese, or
granular cheese or any mixture of two or more of these, it may be designated
"Pasteurized process American cheese"; or when cheddar cheese, washed curd
cheese, colby cheese, granular cheese, or any mixture of two or more of these is
combined with other varieties of cheese in the cheese ingredient, any of such
cheeses or such mixture may be designated as "American cheese.""

If it has the word "product" on the label, it does not meet the requirements for
either of the above categories.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 9:08*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "z z" > wrote in message

> > How do you make yours?

> > 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> > Butter one side only of each slice.
> > Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> > Fried egg & slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> > Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

> Mine never come out right. *I think maybe because I put too much cheese in
> them.
>
> I am not picky about the cheese. *I like any kind or a mix of cheese. *I
> also like strips of bell pepper, onion and a slice of tomato in there.
> Rather than grill them, I toast the bread, butter each side then make the
> sandwich, wrap in foil and bake it in the oven until the cheese melts. *I
> also vary the bread. *Could be sourdough, rye or even white.

Julie, you said you were allergic to all cheese but dick cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 6:25*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 07:35:33 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
> > The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
> > "processed cheese product".

> American cheese comes in at least three grades. *Pasteurtizes
> processed cheese is the best of then. *Then they can add "product" or
> "spread" at the end of that to indicate lower grades.
>
> Kraft has invented a fourth "grade" that is "food product" (or
> something similar to that) taht includes imported dry milk protein.
> They use this in Kraft Singles and probably a dozen other "cheese
> products". *The USDA does NOT consider it cheeses.
>
> And that's why I don't buy any Kraft cheeses. *I buy a store brand if
> Amwercican cheese that they make themselves (yes HEB *MAKES* it
> themselves - nobody makes it for them as Sheldon would like you to
> believe).
>
> > Cheddar melts just fine as does every other actual cheese I've ever tried.

> Different cheeses melt better than others. *There's no doubt about
> that. *Aged, drier cheddars do not melt nearly as well as real
> American cheese (does not include Velveeta). Even within the
> mozzarellas there are different meltabilities - Fresh (worst), part
> skim, and whole milk (best).
>
> -sw

Anybody who says all cheese melts just fine is a moron. Just stupid
trial and error would teel you that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Potatoe chips? Good idea. Crush them and then press the buttered side of
the bread on top the crushed chips before frying. There is nothing
healthy about grilled cheese sandwiches but they sure are satisfying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> This makes the best toasted sammies... and definitely makes the best
> toasted cheese sammie:
> http://mjskitchen.com/2011/06/toas-tite/

Not this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270862456895
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2011 6:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:53:15 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> On 11/26/2011 02:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> This makes the best toasted sammies... and definitely makes the best
>>> toasted cheese sammie:
>>> http://mjskitchen.com/2011/06/toas-tite/

>> Oh, man, I was just talking about those things the other day. When I was
>> a little kid, we made those all the time! I'll have to get my mom to
>> give me her press so I can make them for the blog. Too fun.

> I used to have both the round and a square one. Anybody know where I
> can get a square one that pinches the bread shut?
>
> This one doesn't pinch (I don't know why not - it looks like it
> should)
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1705-Squ...dp/B000FNLXWG/

I used to have an electric sandwich press similar to this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WM-S.../dp/B00006F2MD

I rarely used it so gave it away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2011 12:31 PM, z z wrote:
> How do you make yours?
>
> 2 slices (oatmeal) bread with hard crust.
> Butter one side only of each slice.
> Literally cover the butter w/poppy seeds.
> Fried egg& slice of sharp cheddar inside.
> Fry the sandwich till darker than golden brown but just before burnt :-)

I'd've never thought of using oatmeal bread for a grilled cheese
sandwich, but reading this thread made me try it for dinner. Yum! I
didn't add the poppy seeds or egg though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2011 7:35 AM, Steve Freides wrote:

> The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
> "processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every other
> actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like American
> cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more than it is.

For a cheese that doesn't melt, try Paneer. It can be grilled without
bread. On an actual grill. Tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:

>On 11/27/2011 7:35 AM, Steve Freides wrote:

>> The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
>> "processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every other
>> actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like American
>> cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more than it is.

>For a cheese that doesn't melt, try Paneer.

My instinct is to say it's not an "actual cheese" but popular usage
seems to be that cottage cheeses now count as "actual cheese".

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2011 6:07 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I've been advertising a similar method for at 10 years here,. I melt
> the butter and optional olive oil in teh pan and then dip/swipe the
> bread in it. You must use perfectly flat-sliced bread. This way you
> actually use less butter than buttering the bread manually the
> traditional way.

I do it that way, too. If the bread is fresh and the butter isn't soft,
you'll tear the bread to shreds trying to butter it. Once I started
doing it that way I always do now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
> "processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every other
> actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like American
> cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more than it is.

American cheese is cheese. Not good cheese but cheese.

Velveeta is "cheese food product" not cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 5:39 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
>> "processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every other
>> actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like American
>> cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more than it is.

> American cheese is cheese. Not good cheese but cheese.
>
> Velveeta is "cheese food product" not cheese.

Velveeta does contain real cheese, I believe, even it's hard to credit that!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 7:35 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
>> "processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every
>> other actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like
>> American cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more
>> than it is.

> For a cheese that doesn't melt, try Paneer. It can be grilled without
> bread. On an actual grill. Tasty.

Haloumi cheese can also be grilled - it's rather a cross between feta
and mozarella, and I find it very tasty.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> On 11/30/2011 5:39 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>

>>> The Wiki says American cheese is just like Velveeta in that it's a
>>> "processed cheese product". Cheddar melts just fine as does every other
>>> actual cheese I've ever tried. Nothing wrong if you like American
>>> cheese, but you seem to be giving it credit for being more than it is.

>> American cheese is cheese. Not good cheese but cheese.
>>
>> Velveeta is "cheese food product" not cheese.

> Velveeta does contain real cheese, I believe, even it's hard to credit
> that!

Velveeta "cheese" contains milk, water, milk fat, whey, whey protein
concentrate and milk protein concentrate.

As if the 'cheese food product' were not bad enough ....

Velvetta Fudge

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
8 ounces pasteurized process cheese, Velveeta, cubed
1 & 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, about 5 cups unsifted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

In a large saucepan over medium heat butter and cheese cubes together,
stirring frequently; remove from heat. Sift together confectioners'
sugar and cocoa; add to cheese, mixing well. Stir in non-fat dry milk,
vanilla and nuts. Turn into a 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan; chill until firm and
cut into squares. Makes about 3 pounds of Velveeta Fudge.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

M. JL Esq. wrote:

> As if the 'cheese food product' were not bad enough ....
>
> Velvetta Fudge
>
> 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
> 8 ounces pasteurized process cheese, Velveeta, cubed
> 1 & 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, about 5 cups unsifted
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
> 1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
> 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
> 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

1/2 lb. Velveeta, 1-1/2 lbs. sugar - I wonder what it tastes like,
although I intend _never_ to find out. I guess, since Velveeta is
largely milk and thickeners as it is anything ...

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2011 9:57 PM, M. JL Esq. wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:

>>> American cheese is cheese. Not good cheese but cheese.
>>>
>>> Velveeta is "cheese food product" not cheese.

>> Velveeta does contain real cheese, I believe, even it's hard to credit
>> that!
>>

> Velveeta "cheese" contains milk, water, milk fat, whey, whey protein
> concentrate and milk protein concentrate.

Well, I certainly can't argue; it's a long time since I ever had any of
the stuff in my house.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*