FoodBanter.com

-   -   Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/437026-video-ultimate-grilled-cheese.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 04-06-2016 01:58 AM

Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 04-06-2016 02:32 AM

On 6/3/2016 9:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:58:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Looks good!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

> I don't need to watch a video of somebody making a grilled cheese
> sandwich.
>
> -sw

So don't watch.

Jill

Reggie 04-06-2016 02:35 AM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:58:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Looks good!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

> I don't need to watch a video of somebody making a grilled cheese
> sandwich.
>
> -sw

bbbbut it's not just a grilled cheese sandwich, it is the ULTIMATE grilled
cheese sandwich. Yes, yet ANOTHER ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.

MaryL[_2_] 04-06-2016 06:09 AM

On 6/3/2016 8:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:58:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Looks good!
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

> I don't need to watch a video of somebody making a grilled cheese
> sandwich.
>
> -sw

This is different from any grilled cheese sandwich I have ever seen
because it has cheese on the inside and also on the outside of both
slices of bread. If the video is accurate, the outside will be crispy
(just as with any grilled cheese sandwich) and not greasy.

MaryL

Ophelia[_14_] 04-06-2016 09:14 AM

"MaryL" > wrote in message
> On 6/3/2016 8:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:58:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Looks good!
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

>> I don't need to watch a video of somebody making a grilled cheese
>> sandwich.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> This is different from any grilled cheese sandwich I have ever seen
> because it has cheese on the inside and also on the outside of both slices
> of bread. If the video is accurate, the outside will be crispy (just as
> with any grilled cheese sandwich) and not greasy.

Same here. I think I'll try that for Hubby. I think he will like it a lot
<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

[email protected] 04-06-2016 01:44 PM

Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I put pepperoni between the cheese slices.

Gary 04-06-2016 02:25 PM

wrote:

> I put pepperoni between the cheese slices.

Allow me to go simple with my version of the Ultimate GC sandwich.
Two slices of white bread, buttered on the outside.
Add one or two slices of the dreaded American Cheese Product
Add one thin slice of a good homegrown tomato plus S&P.

That so works for me. :)

Now that I said that....it's lunch for me today!

jmcquown[_2_] 04-06-2016 03:14 PM

On 6/4/2016 9:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> I put pepperoni between the cheese slices.

> Allow me to go simple with my version of the Ultimate GC sandwich.
> Two slices of white bread, buttered on the outside.
> Add one or two slices of the dreaded American Cheese Product
> Add one thin slice of a good homegrown tomato plus S&P.
>
> That so works for me. :)
>
> Now that I said that....it's lunch for me today!

I thought you were having more burritos for lunch. ;)

Jill

Gary 04-06-2016 04:04 PM

jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/4/2016 9:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I put pepperoni between the cheese slices.

> > Allow me to go simple with my version of the Ultimate GC sandwich.
> > Two slices of white bread, buttered on the outside.
> > Add one or two slices of the dreaded American Cheese Product
> > Add one thin slice of a good homegrown tomato plus S&P.
> >
> > That so works for me. :)
> >
> > Now that I said that....it's lunch for me today!
> >

> I thought you were having more burritos for lunch. ;)

I eat too much, Jill. lol.
I've actually got one frozen hamburger pattie thawing in the pan right
now.
In addition to that, I'll either make the grilled cheese with tomato
sandwiches, or I'll eat the one thawed burrito. Between lunch and
dinner, I'll have them all! yeah man!

Cheri[_3_] 04-06-2016 04:21 PM

"Gary" wrote in message ...

wrote:

> I put pepperoni between the cheese slices.

Allow me to go simple with my version of the Ultimate GC sandwich.
Two slices of white bread, buttered on the outside.
Add one or two slices of the dreaded American Cheese Product
Add one thin slice of a good homegrown tomato plus S&P.

That so works for me. :)

Now that I said that....it's lunch for me today!
==========

My favorite is the one made in a Toas-Tite.

Cheri

Dave Smith[_1_] 04-06-2016 08:08 PM

On 2016-06-04 9:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> I put pepperoni between the cheese slices.

> Allow me to go simple with my version of the Ultimate GC sandwich.
> Two slices of white bread, buttered on the outside.
> Add one or two slices of the dreaded American Cheese Product
> Add one thin slice of a good homegrown tomato plus S&P.
>
> That so works for me. :)
>
> Now that I said that....it's lunch for me today!

What about thinly sliced onion?

When I was a kid I used to slice sweet pickles, open up the grilled
cheese fresh off the grill, and stick the pickles inside.

dsi1[_17_] 04-06-2016 08:24 PM

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 7:09:24 PM UTC-10, MaryL wrote:
> On 6/3/2016 8:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 20:58:16 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Looks good!
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTCkNkfmRY

> > I don't need to watch a video of somebody making a grilled cheese
> > sandwich.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> This is different from any grilled cheese sandwich I have ever seen
> because it has cheese on the inside and also on the outside of both
> slices of bread. If the video is accurate, the outside will be crispy
> (just as with any grilled cheese sandwich) and not greasy.
>
> MaryL

Grilled cheese is a very good thing. I make a grilled cheese spaghetti the same way. It's the reason I like non-stick pans - you can do things with them that you cannot do with stick pans. I like to use mayo instead of butter on the bread. One day most people will do that. :)

Ophelia[_14_] 04-06-2016 09:09 PM

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 7:09:24 PM UTC-10, MaryL wrote:

>> > I don't need to watch a video of somebody making a grilled cheese
>> > sandwich.
>> >
>> > -sw
>> >

>> This is different from any grilled cheese sandwich I have ever seen
>> because it has cheese on the inside and also on the outside of both
>> slices of bread. If the video is accurate, the outside will be crispy
>> (just as with any grilled cheese sandwich) and not greasy.
>>
>> MaryL

> Grilled cheese is a very good thing. I make a grilled cheese spaghetti the
> same way. It's the reason I like non-stick pans - you can do things with
> them that you cannot do with stick pans. I like to use mayo instead of
> butter on the bread. One day most people will do that. :)

I tried that (grilled cheese recipe) this evening but ... I don't have plain
white bread. I make my bread (to our preference) with seeds and wheat
flakes and mixed wholemeal and white flour. I expect that might make a
difference. It was good but fairly greasy. I will do it like this again,
but not with the added cheese on the outside. Oh and I did add sun dried
tomatoes in the middle which made that part very good.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1[_20_] 04-06-2016 09:58 PM

On 6/4/2016 10:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> This is different from any grilled cheese sandwich I have ever seen
>>> because it has cheese on the inside and also on the outside of both
>>> slices of bread. If the video is accurate, the outside will be crispy
>>> (just as with any grilled cheese sandwich) and not greasy.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Grilled cheese is a very good thing. I make a grilled cheese spaghetti
>> the same way. It's the reason I like non-stick pans - you can do
>> things with them that you cannot do with stick pans. I like to use
>> mayo instead of butter on the bread. One day most people will do that. :)

> I tried that (grilled cheese recipe) this evening but ... I don't have
> plain white bread. I make my bread (to our preference) with seeds and
> wheat flakes and mixed wholemeal and white flour. I expect that might
> make a difference. It was good but fairly greasy. I will do it like
> this again, but not with the added cheese on the outside. Oh and I did
> add sun dried tomatoes in the middle which made that part very good.

I could go for one now! I'd take your bread or anyone else's homemade
bread over white bread any day. Hee hee.

Oddly enough, I've been making cheese sandwiches with grilled cheese on
the outside for years. I think a better choice for the cheese on the
outside is Parmesan cheese. It's tastier and less greasy!

Ophelia[_14_] 05-06-2016 08:44 AM

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/4/2016 10:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Grilled cheese is a very good thing. I make a grilled cheese spaghetti
>>> the same way. It's the reason I like non-stick pans - you can do
>>> things with them that you cannot do with stick pans. I like to use
>>> mayo instead of butter on the bread. One day most people will do that.
>>> :)

>> I tried that (grilled cheese recipe) this evening but ... I don't have
>> plain white bread. I make my bread (to our preference) with seeds and
>> wheat flakes and mixed wholemeal and white flour. I expect that might
>> make a difference. It was good but fairly greasy. I will do it like
>> this again, but not with the added cheese on the outside. Oh and I did
>> add sun dried tomatoes in the middle which made that part very good.
>>

> I could go for one now! I'd take your bread or anyone else's homemade
> bread over white bread any day. Hee hee.
>
> Oddly enough, I've been making cheese sandwiches with grilled cheese on
> the outside for years. I think a better choice for the cheese on the
> outside is Parmesan cheese. It's tastier and less greasy!

Oh! That sounds better! I just followed the recipe on the vid.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 05-06-2016 02:50 PM

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-06-04 9:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I put pepperoni between the cheese slices.

> > Allow me to go simple with my version of the Ultimate GC sandwich.
> > Two slices of white bread, buttered on the outside.
> > Add one or two slices of the dreaded American Cheese Product
> > Add one thin slice of a good homegrown tomato plus S&P.
> >
> > That so works for me. :)
> >
> > Now that I said that....it's lunch for me today!

> What about thinly sliced onion?

Excellent! I always do that. If I have it, a little thinly
sliced fresh jalapeno, too.

I use mass-market (Kraft) cheddar rather than American, and will use
grape tomatoes if homegrown aren't in season.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary 05-06-2016 04:08 PM

Cheryl wrote:

> Sqwertz > Wrote in message:
> > How about a Sunday Grilled Cheese Cook-In? <cough>
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Sounds good to me! I need to hit the store and pick up some good bread, some cheese and I think some butter. Lol I'm not a bit prepared for grilled cheese today.

I made my 2 grilled cheese sandwiches yesterday, the old traditional
way.

- Buttered one side of fresh white bread
- added one slice of american cheese product
- added one slice of good tomato
- salt and pepper
- other slice of buttered bread

The 2nd one, I added two slices of the cheese. Not so good. I prefer
the one slice deal. To make it a real old time comfort food, a bowl of
tomato soup would have been nice. Didn't do it this time.

brooklyn1 05-06-2016 05:27 PM

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>Dave Smith wrote:
>>Gary wrote:

>> > Allow me to go simple with my version of the Ultimate GC sandwich.
>> > Two slices of white bread, buttered on the outside.
>> > Add one or two slices of the dreaded American Cheese Product
>> > Add one thin slice of a good homegrown tomato plus S&P.
>> >
>> > That so works for me. :)
>> >
>> > Now that I said that....it's lunch for me today!

>> What about thinly sliced onion?

>Excellent! I always do that. If I have it, a little thinly
>sliced fresh jalapeno, too.
>
>I use mass-market (Kraft) cheddar rather than American, and will use
>grape tomatoes if homegrown aren't in season.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Best grilled cheese is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhJVeT5HT-w
Go through the youtube menu for variations from Tuna Melt to The
Reuben, etal.

dsi1[_17_] 05-06-2016 09:29 PM

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 9:45:40 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I tried that (grilled cheese recipe) this evening but ... I don't have
> >> plain white bread. I make my bread (to our preference) with seeds and
> >> wheat flakes and mixed wholemeal and white flour. I expect that might
> >> make a difference. It was good but fairly greasy. I will do it like
> >> this again, but not with the added cheese on the outside. Oh and I did
> >> add sun dried tomatoes in the middle which made that part very good.
> >>

> > I could go for one now! I'd take your bread or anyone else's homemade
> > bread over white bread any day. Hee hee.
> >
> > Oddly enough, I've been making cheese sandwiches with grilled cheese on
> > the outside for years. I think a better choice for the cheese on the
> > outside is Parmesan cheese. It's tastier and less greasy!

> Oh! That sounds better! I just followed the recipe on the vid.
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Don't forget the mayonnaise. Actually, I don't know if folks in the UK use mayo - it's a mystery. :)

Ophelia[_14_] 05-06-2016 09:49 PM

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 9:45:40 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > I could go for one now! I'd take your bread or anyone else's homemade
>> > bread over white bread any day. Hee hee.
>> >
>> > Oddly enough, I've been making cheese sandwiches with grilled cheese on
>> > the outside for years. I think a better choice for the cheese on the
>> > outside is Parmesan cheese. It's tastier and less greasy!

>> Oh! That sounds better! I just followed the recipe on the vid.
>>

> Don't forget the mayonnaise. Actually, I don't know if folks in the UK use
> mayo - it's a mystery. :)

I have mayo in my fridge and in my store! Now, where do I put the mayo in
that grilled cheese sandwich??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1[_17_] 05-06-2016 10:10 PM

On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 10:49:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message

> >> Oh! That sounds better! I just followed the recipe on the vid.
> >>

> > Don't forget the mayonnaise. Actually, I don't know if folks in the UK use
> > mayo - it's a mystery. :)

> I have mayo in my fridge and in my store! Now, where do I put the mayo in
> that grilled cheese sandwich??

You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

sf[_9_] 05-06-2016 11:42 PM

Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 14:10:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

Depends on what you're used to (aka: like). Personally, I think a
grilled sandwich make with mayo instead of butter has an odd flavor.

--

sf

jmcquown[_2_] 06-06-2016 12:08 AM

On 6/5/2016 6:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 14:10:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

> Depends on what you're used to (aka: like). Personally, I think a
> grilled sandwich make with mayo instead of butter has an odd flavor.

Yeah, my mother used to use mayonnaise AND butter. Since I'm not a fan
of mayo I never really cared for her grilled cheese sandwiches.

I like to use different types of cheese. Cheddar and swiss make an
interesting combo. The guy in the video was using shredded cheese. I
always use slices.

Jill

Dave Smith[_1_] 06-06-2016 12:17 AM

On 2016-06-05 7:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Depends on what you're used to (aka: like). Personally, I think a
>> grilled sandwich make with mayo instead of butter has an odd flavor.
>>

> Yeah, my mother used to use mayonnaise AND butter. Since I'm not a fan
> of mayo I never really cared for her grilled cheese sandwiches.
>
> I like to use different types of cheese. Cheddar and swiss make an
> interesting combo. The guy in the video was using shredded cheese. I
> always use slices.

Our corner bakery/cafe offers a Grown Up Grilled Cheese that has
Cheddar, Feta and sun dried tomato. It is incredible.

Gary 06-06-2016 12:21 PM

sf wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

> Depends on what you're used to (aka: like). Personally, I think a
> grilled sandwich make with mayo instead of butter has an odd flavor.

OK... I've never heard of that but I'm thinking, "Hmmm..."
I should probably trust your opinion but then dsi1 has the opposite.
I planned to make 2 more today anyway and this time with tomato soup.
I'll do one with butter and try one with mayo.

Another cheese sandwich I like is "wrinkled cheese"
That's just what we called it.

Toast 2 slices of white bread (in a toaster)
No butter, just add a layer of extra sharp cheddar cheese
on top of each slice...
then put them under the broiler until they brown and start to blacken

Gary 06-06-2016 12:22 PM

Dave Smith wrote:

> Our corner bakery/cafe offers a Grown Up Grilled Cheese that has
> Cheddar, Feta and sun dried tomato. It is incredible.

I've saved this plan. It definitely sounds worth trying. :-D

Right now, while I'm in a grilled cheese sandwich mood, I'll probably
try that tomorrow after a grocery trip for some feta.

Ophelia[_14_] 06-06-2016 02:41 PM

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 5, 2016 at 10:49:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Don't forget the mayonnaise. Actually, I don't know if folks in the UK
>> > use
>> > mayo - it's a mystery. :)

>> I have mayo in my fridge and in my store! Now, where do I put the mayo
>> in
>> that grilled cheese sandwich??
>>

> You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer
> looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and
> oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

But just on the outside of the bread?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf[_9_] 06-06-2016 04:27 PM

Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 14:41:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I have mayo in my fridge and in my store! Now, where do I put the mayo
> >> in
> >> that grilled cheese sandwich??
> >>

> > You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer
> > looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and
> > oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

> But just on the outside of the bread?

Do you spread butter on both sides of each slice when you make a
grilled cheese sandwich?

--

sf

Ophelia[_14_] 06-06-2016 05:37 PM

"sf" > wrote in message

>> > You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer
>> > looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and
>> > oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

>> But just on the outside of the bread?

> Do you spread butter on both sides of each slice when you make a
> grilled cheese sandwich?

I've only ever made one and I thought that is what he said <g> It was
rather greasy:))

Our usual way is toasted cheese sandwich. I butter bread (on the inside)
add cheese and usually sun dried tomato and then grill (broil) on both
sides:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1[_17_] 06-06-2016 05:47 PM

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 5:12:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message

> >> I have mayo in my fridge and in my store! Now, where do I put the mayo
> >> in
> >> that grilled cheese sandwich??
> >>

> > You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer
> > looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and
> > oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

> But just on the outside of the bread?

I used to grill both sides of the bread since I was a kid. These days I'm too lazy and just grill the outsides. You can spread butter or mayo on the inside and not grill it too. I've never tried that. If I had a thick slice of bread, I'd grill both sides. It tends to be too greasy if you grill two sides of a thin slice but that's the way I liked it back in the old days.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 06-06-2016 06:15 PM

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 1:03:48 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> >> But just on the outside of the bread?

> > Do you spread butter on both sides of each slice when you make a
> > grilled cheese sandwich?

> I've only ever made one and I thought that is what he said <g> It was
> rather greasy:))
>
> Our usual way is toasted cheese sandwich. I butter bread (on the inside)
> add cheese and usually sun dried tomato and then grill (broil) on both
> sides:)

When I make a toasted cheese sandwich with fresh tomato, I'll sometimes
dot a little mayonnaise on the tomato, by opening up the sandwich after
toasting and applying the mayonnaise.

If I'm toasting, I don't add butter, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Cheri[_3_] 06-06-2016 06:42 PM

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> But just on the outside of the bread?

>> Do you spread butter on both sides of each slice when you make a
>> grilled cheese sandwich?

> I've only ever made one and I thought that is what he said <g> It was
> rather greasy:))
>
> Our usual way is toasted cheese sandwich. I butter bread (on the inside)
> add cheese and usually sun dried tomato and then grill (broil) on both
> sides:)

If you don't use butter or some kind of oil brushed on the outside, how do
you get that wonderful fried type crispness, as opposed to just toastlike
from broiling?

Cheri

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 06-06-2016 08:10 PM

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 1:42:50 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:

> >> Do you spread butter on both sides of each slice when you make a
> >> grilled cheese sandwich?

> > I've only ever made one and I thought that is what he said <g> It was
> > rather greasy:))
> >
> > Our usual way is toasted cheese sandwich. I butter bread (on the inside)
> > add cheese and usually sun dried tomato and then grill (broil) on both
> > sides:)

> If you don't use butter or some kind of oil brushed on the outside, how do
> you get that wonderful fried type crispness, as opposed to just toastlike
> from broiling?

We don't. It's a completely different sandwich. Both toasted cheese and
grilled cheese have a place in my heart (or, at least, my stomach).

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia[_14_] 06-06-2016 08:14 PM

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 5:12:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > You would spread than on the bread instead of butter. You get a nicer
>> > looking sandwich because you're spreading on an even coating of egg and
>> > oil. It also tastes better - no, it tastes awesome!

>> But just on the outside of the bread?
>>

> I used to grill both sides of the bread since I was a kid. These days I'm
> too lazy and just grill the outsides. You can spread butter or mayo on the
> inside and not grill it too. I've never tried that. If I had a thick slice
> of bread, I'd grill both sides. It tends to be too greasy if you grill two
> sides of a thin slice but that's the way I liked it back in the old days.

You could give the old way another shot, just for old times sake? :)))))

You might even feel enthused to do it again ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 06-06-2016 08:15 PM

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>> > Do you spread butter on both sides of each slice when you make a
>> > grilled cheese sandwich?

>> I've only ever made one and I thought that is what he said <g> It was
>> rather greasy:))
>>
>> Our usual way is toasted cheese sandwich. I butter bread (on the inside)
>> add cheese and usually sun dried tomato and then grill (broil) on both
>> sides:)

> When I make a toasted cheese sandwich with fresh tomato, I'll sometimes
> dot a little mayonnaise on the tomato, by opening up the sandwich after
> toasting and applying the mayonnaise.

You say 'toasted' and not 'grilled'! Do you mean toasted my way, as in
'broiled'??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_14_] 06-06-2016 08:17 PM

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Do you spread butter on both sides of each slice when you make a
>>> grilled cheese sandwich?

>> I've only ever made one and I thought that is what he said <g> It was
>> rather greasy:))
>>
>> Our usual way is toasted cheese sandwich. I butter bread (on the inside)
>> add cheese and usually sun dried tomato and then grill (broil) on both
>> sides:)

> If you don't use butter or some kind of oil brushed on the outside, how do
> you get that wonderful fried type crispness, as opposed to just toastlike
> from broiling?

We don't! That was new to me and I will probably explore it more ... but
less butter and none on the inside :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 06-06-2016 08:51 PM

On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 3:17:41 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> I've only ever made one and I thought that is what he said <g> It was
> >> rather greasy:))
> >>
> >> Our usual way is toasted cheese sandwich. I butter bread (on the inside)
> >> add cheese and usually sun dried tomato and then grill (broil) on both
> >> sides:)

> > When I make a toasted cheese sandwich with fresh tomato, I'll sometimes
> > dot a little mayonnaise on the tomato, by opening up the sandwich after
> > toasting and applying the mayonnaise.

> You say 'toasted' and not 'grilled'! Do you mean toasted my way, as in
> 'broiled'??

Yes. I think I was maybe a little confused when I talked about opening
up the sandwich afterward. The cheese faces the heat, and when it's
melted I take it out, add a fairly thin slice of tomato and a bit of
mayonnaise, then put the two halves of the sandwich together.

In fact, I generally make a toasted cheese sandwich with the cheese
all on one side, and just bread on the other.

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1[_20_] 06-06-2016 08:54 PM

On 6/6/2016 9:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> ever
>>> outside of
>>> will >> >> >>>> be

>>> can >> >> >>> do
>>> to >> >> >>> use
>>> will >> >> >>> do

>>> do >> >> >> it
>>> and >> >> >> I

>>> on >> >> > the

>>> the >> > UK

>>> and
>>>
>>> But just on the outside of the bread?
>>>

>> I used to grill both sides of the bread since I was a kid. These days
>> I'm too lazy and just grill the outsides. You can spread butter or
>> mayo on the inside and not grill it too. I've never tried that. If I
>> had a thick slice of bread, I'd grill both sides. It tends to be too
>> greasy if you grill two sides of a thin slice but that's the way I
>> liked it back in the old days.

> You could give the old way another shot, just for old times sake? :)))))
>
> You might even feel enthused to do it again ...

A trip down memory lane, eh? It could happen. OTOH, the idea of a greasy
sandwich doesn't light up my brain. :)

Try it with butter/mayo on one side only - my guess is that you'll enjoy
it and as an extra bonus, you get to taste some real American cuisine.
For extra authenticity, use yellow processed cheese
material/foodstuff/substance. Good eating to you! :)

sf[_9_] 06-06-2016 09:11 PM

Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 12:51:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> In fact, I generally make a toasted cheese sandwich with the cheese
> all on one side, and just bread on the other.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I take it a step further and make my toasted cheese sandwich open
faced.

--

sf

Ophelia[_14_] 06-06-2016 09:21 PM

Video: Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Monday, June 6, 2016 at 3:17:41 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

>> > When I make a toasted cheese sandwich with fresh tomato, I'll sometimes
>> > dot a little mayonnaise on the tomato, by opening up the sandwich after
>> > toasting and applying the mayonnaise.

>> You say 'toasted' and not 'grilled'! Do you mean toasted my way, as in
>> 'broiled'??

> Yes. I think I was maybe a little confused when I talked about opening
> up the sandwich afterward. The cheese faces the heat, and when it's
> melted I take it out, add a fairly thin slice of tomato and a bit of
> mayonnaise, then put the two halves of the sandwich together.
>
> In fact, I generally make a toasted cheese sandwich with the cheese
> all on one side, and just bread on the other.

OK ... I think. When I make mine the cheese is in the middle and when I
grill 'broil' it, the cheese melts inside. When I say I 'broil' it, really
what I do is put it into a small oven and take it out when both sides are
browned and the cheese melted!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/