Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick easy supper

Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings, I forgot
how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and broad noodles.

Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I haven't made
more often or for so long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 12:16:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On 17 Dec 2015 16:36:02 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings, I forgot
>> how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and broad noodles.
>>
>> Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I haven't made
>> more often or for so long.

>I had some of that a few months ago for 'ol times sake. The "meat and
>gravy" can was 97% cheap gravy and a few chunks of whipped and pressed
>beef loaf and the can of vegetables was about 2/3rds water. Sorry,
>but I was not impressed at all.

Chun King was much better but alas it's long gone. I took a 2nd grade
school trip to tour their factory in Brooklyn, came home with lots of
products. I ate that stuff for years but then it got expensive, and
then disappeared. The La Choy brand is garbage, and these days even
pricier, I can't imagine anyone buying it anymore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_King
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings, I
> forgot how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and broad
> noodles.
>
> Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I haven't
> made more often or for so long.

It's not bad!

Here's something I typed up when we had easy access to other things but
were clearing cabinets as we headed back to the states.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's LaChoy fixer
Categories: Xxcarol, Main dish
Yield: 6 Servings

1 ea Can LaChoy chicken chow mein
1/2 c Chopped bok choy cabbage
1/4 c Chopped white strong onion
1 ts 100% toasted sesame oil
1/2 c Shemenji or button mushrooms
4 c Cooked medium grain rice

Oh my! Clearing out my cabinets, I find one of those LaChoy Chicken
Chow Mein cans! Of all things to find in my kitchen! I don't recall
getting it so probably this came to us as another moved out? Either
way, I can and have bought these on occasion stateside and have some
ideas on making them better.

I dumped in the smaller can and added the veggies (drained and rinsed
as directed) from the bigger can. Then I added the rest of what you
see above. I would have added a bit of flash seared steak but my pot
was holding all it could by then so left it out. Might need to add 2
TB water as it cooks if your pot lid isnt tight or don't have a pot
lid.

It will be served over the rice from my ricemaker.

The shemenji isn't a translation of our regular
(different critter all together) but they taste much the same. These
are fresh not dried or canned but canned mushrooms (the 4oz can of
stems and pieces) will do in a pinch. Shmenji taste a bit more
'earthy' and stronger but are almost the same in flavor to a
USA/Canada market button mushroom.

The cabbage doesnt have to be bok choy but advise using the stronger
outer leaves if you have any, over the tender less flavorful inner
ones. You can add more cabbage to stretch the dish if you need more
for a larger family. More baby corn wouldnt be amiss and can sub in
any left over rinsed out canned corn you might have. (The LaChoy has
baby corn in it).

What 'makes this sing' is the addition of the sesame oil. You must
have a quality strong one to make it right. The oil blending with
the added cabbage is a taste match bringing this blend a true asian
flair in flavor though still fusioned to Americana taste buds.

Optional addition: True Asian flavor would add a little patis (a very
fishy flavored sauce, used by the 1/2 TS at most). I also added some
stray olive oil roasted asian eggplant with bacos, about 3 TB worth
because it was sitting there and matches flavors.

From the fusion kichen in Sasebo Japan of: xxcarol 7AUG2007

MMMMM

Anyways, the stuff makes me want to add to it so you can see some of
the addons I did then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 17 Dec 2015 16:36:02 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
> > Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings,
> > I forgot how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and
> > broad noodles.
> >
> > Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I
> > haven't made more often or for so long.

> I had some of that a few months ago for 'ol times sake. The "meat and
> gravy" can was 97% cheap gravy and a few chunks of whipped and pressed
> beef loaf and the can of vegetables was about 2/3rds water. Sorry,
> but I was not impressed at all.
>
> -sw

I don't think I've ever tried a version that wan't chicken.
Interesting there is a beef one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 15:36:45 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> I had some of that a few months ago for 'ol times sake. The "meat

> and >> gravy" can was 97% cheap gravy and a few chunks of whipped and
> pressed >> beef loaf and the can of vegetables was about 2/3rds
> water. Sorry, >> but I was not impressed at all.
> >
> > I don't think I've ever tried a version that wan't chicken.
> > Interesting there is a beef one!

> There are two with beef and two with chicken. I had the "Beef Pepper
> Oriental" version.
>
> http://www.lachoy.com/asian-cooking-...d-chinese-food
>
> I didn't buy the chow mein noodles and just used rice.
>
> -sw

Ok, I think it was the plain chicken version. Been a really long time
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I had some of that

**** off, woman-stalker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 17 Dec 2015 16:36:02 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings,
>>> I forgot how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and
>>> broad noodles.
>>>
>>> Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I
>>> haven't made more often or for so long.

>> I had some of that a few months ago for 'ol times sake. The "meat and
>> gravy" can was 97% cheap gravy and a few chunks of whipped and pressed
>> beef loaf and the can of vegetables was about 2/3rds water. Sorry,
>> but I was not impressed at all.
>>
>> -sw

> I don't think I've ever tried

WHY DO YOU FEED THE WOMAN STALKER???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> and >> gravy" can was 97% cheap gravy and a few chunks of whipped and
>> pressed >> beef loaf and the can of vegetables was about 2/3rds
>> water. Sorry, >> but I was not impressed at all.
>>>
>>> I don't think I've ever tried a version that wan't chicken.
>>> Interesting there is a beef one!

>> There are two with beef and two with chicken. I had the "Beef Pepper
>> Oriental" version.
>>
>> http://www.lachoy.com/asian-cooking-...d-chinese-food
>>
>> I didn't buy the chow mein noodles and just used rice.
>>
>> -sw

> Ok, I think

NO.

You feed the woman-stalker, you traitor to ALL women!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings, I
> forgot
> how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and broad noodles.
>
> Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I haven't made
> more often or for so long.

We ate that sometimes when I was a kid. I don't remember liking it but my
mom loved it. I did buy some a few years ago. Angela and I tried it but I
had to dispose of it and find something else for us to eat. We did not care
for it or like the chewy soy bits that they now put in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On 17 Dec 2015 16:36:02 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings, I
>> forgot
>> how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and broad noodles.
>>
>> Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I haven't
>> made
>> more often or for so long.

> I had some of that a few months ago for 'ol times sake. The "meat and
> gravy" can was 97% cheap gravy and a few chunks of whipped and pressed
> beef loaf and the can of vegetables was about 2/3rds water. Sorry,
> but I was not impressed at all.

I didn't know they made beef. We tried the chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 12:16:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On 17 Dec 2015 16:36:02 GMT, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> Made La Choy chow mein and chow mein noodle the past two evenings, I
>>> forgot how much I liked this. Much better than chow mein and broad
>>> noodles.
>>>
>>> Seems as I get even older often make something I wonder why I
>>> haven't made more often or for so long.

>>I had some of that a few months ago for 'ol times sake. The "meat and
>>gravy" can was 97% cheap gravy and a few chunks of whipped and pressed
>>beef loaf and the can of vegetables was about 2/3rds water. Sorry,
>>but I was not impressed at all.

> Chun King was much better but alas it's long gone. I took a 2nd grade
> school trip to tour their factory in Brooklyn, came home with lots of
> products. I ate that stuff for years but then it got expensive, and
> then disappeared. The La Choy brand is garbage, and these days even
> pricier, I can't imagine anyone buying it anymore.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_King

Maybe it was Chun King. I forget and the can is long gone. Whatever brand
Walmart sells.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-12-18, KenK > wrote:

> Maybe it was Chun King. I forget and the can is long gone. Whatever brand
> Walmart sells.

Yeah, Chun King is long gone. La Choy is its replacement. My mom
usta buy these things all the time and it reminds me what chow mein
usta be like. Mostly bean sprouts over crispy fried noodles (dry).
Oh, and the La Choy stuff is abysmal. Bean sprouts don't can well
and the "brown gravy" one adds to the overall dish is some really
nasty stuff. I tossed all my mom's cans of La Choy.

I recall when I was a kid, all the chow mein in Chinese restos were
always offered with baan sprouts over dry fried noodles. Now, you'd
be damn lucky to even find such a dish, except in a La Choy can. All
the Chinese restos in the SFBA serve "pan fried" noodles. IOW, mostly
soft spaghetti-like noodles cooked in a lotta oil. Zero bean sprouts.
No kidding. Whenever I ask for the crispy noodles and bean sprouts
choice, the Chinese ppl running a resto look at me like I'm from the
funny farm. The last resto in CA I've found that offers the old
"choice" of chow meins is a Chinese resto way down in Visalia CA and
that was 10 yrs ago. I can understand it --kinda-- the "pan fried"
noodles are waaaaay cheaper than buying and cooking the more expensive
mung bean sprouts.

Reminds me of what an old girlfriend usta say about Chinese food. She
didn't eat it cuz she said, "Yer being ripped off. Buncha damn
overpriced noodles". I can't argue. :|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2015 2:36 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Interesting there is a beef one!
>

> --

Hi, my name's Carol and I feed the worst kind of trolls, those who
criminally STALK women he

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that the subhuman virus stalked poor Omelet right of the net!

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking