Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quick Swiss Chard Supper revisited

I may have posted this recipe here before, but I made it a little bit
different tonight. I find it is a good way to get some veggies into us that
we wouldn't ordinarily eat.

I start with a bunch of Swiss Chard. We like the multi-colored stuff. I
then wash it and cut off the thick stems. They seem to be rather hard to
digest. At least for me. I then cut the leaves into very fine slivers.
These are added to a large skillet with a couple of splashes of olive oil.
Tonight I added a couple of handfuls of Cremini mushrooms that had been
washed and chopped and a medium onion that had been chopped. I also added a
pound of ground beef (low fat, organic) and cooked until the beef was
browned, crumbling the beef as I went. This was seasoned with salt, pepper
and parsley.

Now if you are doing a very low carb diet, you could eat this as is. I made
it into a gravy (gluten free) by adding a small amount of sweet rice flour
to coat the meat, then slowly adding a carton of organic beef broth,
bringing to a boil and cooking until thick.

My husband likes to eat just this stuff alone, in a bowl with a spoon. For
Angela, I usually serve it over mashed potatoes, but sometimes will make
rice or pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 02 May 2008 00:19:37 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

>I start with a bunch of Swiss Chard. We like the multi-colored stuff. I
>then wash it and cut off the thick stems. They seem to be rather hard to
>digest. At least for me.

I like Jane Grigson's vegetable bible. She has two recipes for Swiss
chard; one for the green, leafy bits that sounds similar to yours, and
another for the stems. She suggests cutting them up and simmering them
in a milky sauce for 10-15 mins, when of course the leaves only need a
short time. I have served both to the family, and everyone liked the
meals, but I was the only one who liked the stems.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 02 May 2008 08:48:09 +0100, Nicky
> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 May 2008 00:19:37 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>wrote:
>
>>I start with a bunch of Swiss Chard. We like the multi-colored stuff. I
>>then wash it and cut off the thick stems. They seem to be rather hard to
>>digest. At least for me.

>I like Jane Grigson's vegetable bible. She has two recipes for Swiss
>chard; one for the green, leafy bits that sounds similar to yours, and
>another for the stems. She suggests cutting them up and simmering them
>in a milky sauce for 10-15 mins, when of course the leaves only need a
>short time. I have served both to the family, and everyone liked the
>meals, but I was the only one who liked the stems.
>
>Nicky.

We grow Fordhook Giant in the back-yard; although we call it
Silverbeet it's just another from of chard.

I cook it very simply. Wash it well, shake the excess water
off, lop off the tougher stalks but still leave a few inches
from the leaf-start point, make a bundle and slice across in
slim widths. I end up with Julienne-width slices across the
leaves. Then I put it in a microwave container and zap it on
high for a few minutes.

It shrinks incredibly and the water still sticking to the
leaves mixes with the juices cooked out of them to become a
rich green liquor which I mix back into the mass. We eat
what is needed at the time and store the rest in the freezer
in ice-cube containers. The green ice-blocks become instant
greens to be zapped in a mug in the microwave at some future
time.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest:Is Testing Worthwhile?
and Cambodia
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/2008/03/cambodia.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 May 2008 00:19:37 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>
>>I start with a bunch of Swiss Chard. We like the multi-colored stuff. I
>>then wash it and cut off the thick stems. They seem to be rather hard to
>>digest. At least for me.

> I like Jane Grigson's vegetable bible. She has two recipes for Swiss
> chard; one for the green, leafy bits that sounds similar to yours, and
> another for the stems. She suggests cutting them up and simmering them
> in a milky sauce for 10-15 mins, when of course the leaves only need a
> short time. I have served both to the family, and everyone liked the
> meals, but I was the only one who liked the stems.

The stems are very pretty though.

I am loving this Quick Swiss Chard Supper! Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 6 29-01-2015 08:23 AM
I am loving this Quick Swiss Chard Supper! [email protected] General Cooking 2 28-01-2015 11:32 PM
Help! Swiss Chard Gloria P Preserving 7 14-10-2008 03:11 AM
Swiss chard Eric Deaver Preserving 4 31-08-2005 04:42 PM
What t do with Swiss Chard sarah bennett General Cooking 25 25-07-2005 05:27 AM